Sunscreen

If it is sunny, it is rarely a bad idea to use sunscreen. And even if you don't bring sunscreen, it should be fairly easy to find from local stores in the cities you visit.

• Like 2

Sunscreen is a must - everywhere and every weather if you care about your skin, and not just cosmetically but skin cancers. I am a physician and have patients who grew up in southern California in the "lay on the beach" days and are now having skin cancers removed. Should be part of a morning skin routine and more often for water and prolonged exposure.

• Like 2

Yes, you have to remember that in the summer earth's northern areas are leaning towards the sun making the sunlight extra strong. Then you have to take the sunlight reflections from the water into account and add that to the equation as well. So yes, sunscreen is a must if you intend the stay in the sun more then a few minutes.

• Like 3

In the summer, there is plenty of daylight, and depending on the weather, there may be sun. If there is sun, and you are prone to sunburn or concerned about UV exposure, then you will need sunscreen.

I typically wear a light sunscreen daily in the summer (or carry it in my purse), since you never know when the weather forecast is going to be wrong. (I also use a light GoreTex jacket as my daily outer layer for similar reasons.) The weather changes all the time, so it's easier to just always be prepared.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:24 PM, queen_kathy1 said:

Do you recommend we pack sunscreen for our Norway fjord cruise this summer?  We likely will, but just wondering if it's really needed.

Sunscreen should be applied daily is our dermatologists recommendation regardless if it's sunny out or not.  In an efforts to save room in our bags, we buy essentials like this while in port.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PLee said:

Sunscreen should be applied daily is our dermatologists recommendation regardless if it's sunny out or not.  In an efforts to save room in our bags, we buy essentials like this while in port.

Ironically, I also buy a lot of my sunscreen when I travel, but it's not to save space in my bag. I bring home new unopened bottles because it's less expensive outside of Norway.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, kaisatsu said:

Ironically, I also buy a lot of my sunscreen when I travel, but it's not to save space in my bag. I bring home new unopened bottles because it's less expensive outside of Norway.

Yes, stocking up on things that are less expensive outside of Norway could call for a steamer trunk, lol!  I'm definitely buying vodka in either Poland or Tallinn to avoid the prices in Sweden since we're staying there for awhile after our cruise.

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, stocking up on things that are less expensive outside of Norway could call for a steamer trunk, lol!  I'm definitely buying vodka in either Poland or Tallinn to avoid the prices in Sweden since we're staying there for awhile after our cruise.

I believe all the Scandanavian countries plus Iceland are very expensive.

36 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, you are paying a very high tax on almost everything. The tax helps pay for all the social services in these countries…for example, the price of an automobile is almost doubled due to taxes. You, as a foreigner, can get some of these taxes refunded when you leave the country and fill out forms if you choose. 

Edited by janetcbl

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

True, but not equally.  I remember the prices in Norway being breathtaking.  (Bear in mind that I live in New York, an expensive city with high taxes.)  The data says only Switzerland is more expensive than Norway.  The high land prices are one of the things that make a Baltic cruise a bit of a bargain since we sleep and eat on the ship.  The Finns have the highest alcohol prices and they are very fond of taking the boat over to Tallinn to do some weekend drinking I'm told. Of course, Poland, and the 3 Baltic countries are not Scandinavia.

I'm not much of a shopper.  With carry-on luggage only I have no room for extra things so standing in line to get VAT back at the airport isn't worthwhile - especially with my antsy husband.

Edited by Travelling2Some

On 6/1/2023 at 10:44 PM, Travelling2Some said:

I remember the prices in Norway being breathtaking.  (Bear in mind that I live in New York, an expensive city with high taxes.) 

Right now the Norwegian krone is incredibly weak against the US dollar, so it’s probably close to the same (or cheaper in some cases) at the moment.

The issue with sunscreen is that it is typically sold by pharmacies, and the availability is mostly limited to more expensive brands and varieties. And since people tend to be more covered up most of the year, there isn’t as much market or turnover. It’s priced more like a cosmetic than a necessity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Right now the Norwegian krone is incredibly weak against the US dollar, so it’s probably close to the same (or cheaper in some cases) at the moment.

The issue with sunscreen is that it is typically sold by pharmacies, and the availability is mostly limited to more expensive brands and varieties. And since people tend to be more covered up most of the year, there isn’t as much market or turnover. It’s priced more like a cosmetic than a necessity.

Thanks for the interesting explanation.  My recollection is mainly of restaurant prices being shockingly high.  We would read the menu posted at the door and say, "Well, I'm not THAT hungry!"  I know the US military gives personnel an extra stipend when stationed in Norway because of the cost of living.  Makes total sense that demand for sun screen is low.