LIVE from Celebrity Apex: Best of Scandinavia May 25, 2023

love2crews.

1 hour ago, love2crews. said:

Yes, there was a complimentary shuttle. 😃

ScreenShot2023-06-04at7_40_39PM.thumb.png.4fb37bfdf6f440c2cca398db40d53c49.png

Thanks so much for this information on the shuttle. We will be there in July on Silhouette and I have been trying to find out about this. Makes it so much easier to plan our visit. 

• Like 1

I have to say I'm impressed by your culinary inquisitiveness. We love trying local foods, and drinks, as well and find the best souvenirs are often in the local markets & stores. So many people gravitate to familiar places (think McD's, Subway, etc.) or only eat on the cruise ship. Trying the local cuisine is a huge part of travel.  Our first trip to Belgium was mostly for the beer and chocolate and from that we discovered our favorite country anywhere with wonderful people, architecture, and yes, food & beer😀

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 3:39 PM, cunn9004 said:

Sailing on Apex in September and because this will be my last cruise on an Edge class ship (no haters - going back to M class where I belong 🤣), I want to dine on Edge.  So with the sale on I went and booked it even though is gave me a reservation day of embarkation at 10:00 a.m.  

I'm assuming that they will inform us once onboard what day and time this event might take place.  Can someone confirm that please?

I love all the details of  your review.. We will  be on the June 25 sailing of this cruise.  How did you like Tivoli?  Was it worth the time and money? I've heard good and bad.  What all did you do there?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, Hummingbird Lover said:

Thanks for the review. We are booked for this exact excursion on June 27. Hoping we get a better guide! We would change it to another but got a super good deal of only $107 CA per person.
I've got low expectations now so I'm sure I won't be disappointed...LOL

First of all, thank you @love2crews. for providing us with such a detailed and thoughtful review of your entire trip! I love reading your posts!

We were on the same trip last year on the Apex and did the train to Berlin excursion from Celebrity. We had the same experience with the long train ride, lack of information, etc. However, once we got to Berlin, we were really fortunate to have had a FANTASTIC guide, who made the city come alive for us. We did stop at the Holocaust Memorial, and during the day, he painted us a very vivid picture of the rise of the Third Reich, and did not sugar coat the history of Germany in the past century. So I guess it's a crap shoot as to who will be your guide once you reach Berlin. He made the very long day worthwhile for us. 

Fingers crossed for you @Hummingbird Lover later this month! 

• Like 3

@love2crews. Thanks again for these posts. What were your favorites of the guide companies you used? For a number of reasons, I can't do one in every port (and we aren't going to Visby) but I'm curious where you would prioritize hiring a private guide and/or a company or guide who was especially outstanding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

I have to say I'm impressed by your culinary inquisitiveness. We love trying local foods, and drinks, as well and find the best souvenirs are often in the local markets & stores. So many people gravitate to familiar places (think McD's, Subway, etc.) or only eat on the cruise ship. Trying the local cuisine is a huge part of travel.  Our first trip to Belgium was mostly for the beer and chocolate and from that we discovered our favorite country anywhere with wonderful people, architecture, and yes, food & beer😀

Totally agree with most everything.   @love2crews. has mad skill on posting food pics.   We do, however, try to visit McD if we have not been to one in that country.   They always have some "special" items that is not available in the US.   We do that for all the states we visited in the US as well.  Some states, like Hawaii, has special items too.

For Belgium, most people think of their chocolate, but we remember Ghent's cuberdon candy (little nose).   Because they should be eaten fresh within a week or so for the best taste, you can't really try the real thing except there.   I don't like candy normally, but I tried one and they tasted so amazing, so we have to get a bag.   Then we heard the tale of the 2 brothers, we have to also buy another bag from the other brother's stand.   Then we ran out and have to go buy some more.   In the end, we ate like 4 bags of candies in 2 days LOL.   We are taking the same cruise as OP on June 25, and we will be at Amsterdam a week before.   So, we are currently thinking of a day trip to Ghent to do a candy run LOL.

Edited by lostchild
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

We feel trying local food is the best way to experience a city! 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, itsawonderfullife said:

I love all the details of  your review.. We will  be on the June 25 sailing of this cruise.  How did you like Tivoli?  Was it worth the time and money? I've heard good and bad.  What all did you do there?

To be honest, I wish we spent a little bit more time there.  We were only there about an hour.  We are big Disney fans so we had to stop by, even if for just a little.  (For those who aren't aware, Tivoli inspired Disney.)

We purchased the Classic package, which includes admission, access to all the rides and also the ride photos.  We only went on "The Flying Trunk" and I've still yet to figure out how to download the photo from the ride...so not sure how reliable the photos are.  If I had known we were only going to go on one ride and leave so quickly, I'd probably have just bought admission and then a ticket for that ride only (rather than unlimited rides).

It was very crowded and I'm sure it will only get more crowded as the summer goes on. Fortunately, we walked on the Flying Trunk and there was no line, but there was a huge line by the time we got off.  Not sure I would have waited in the line.  Several other rides had a long line, too.

I'm glad we did it.  I loved all the flowers and it was very pretty, especially for an amusement park.  Very clean with lots of trash cans all around (like Disney).  We frequent Disney often so for us, amusement parks aren't anything new.  If you don't go to amusement parks often or are a big Disney history fan, I say go for it.  Otherwise, I don't think it's that important.  There are tons of other things to see in Copenhagen.  No matter what you do, enjoy your time there! 😃

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, love2crews. said:

To be honest, I wish we spent a little bit more time there.  We were only there about an hour.  We are big Disney fans so we had to stop by, even if for just a little.  (For those who aren't aware, Tivoli inspired Disney.)

We didn't know that!   Now it is like a must visit.   We are annual pass holders for 15 years and try to visit every Disney Park in the world.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irvington said:

@love2crews. Thanks again for these posts. What were your favorites of the guide companies you used? For a number of reasons, I can't do one in every port (and we aren't going to Visby) but I'm curious where you would prioritize hiring a private guide and/or a company or guide who was especially outstanding.

My two favorites were Visby (Consu of Your Gotland Tours-even though you said you aren't visiting there) and Copenhagen (Uffe of Great Dane Tours).  I strongly believe a tour guide is the key to enjoying a city and making a memorable experience.  Both Consu and Uffe truly showed us their cities like locals and gave us a clear, but in-depth understanding of their history.

For Copenhagen, you could probably manage walking around the city center on your own, but obviously having someone explain everything and answer your questions is helpful.  If you opt to do the Danish castles, I would 100% suggest you book a tour with Uffe.  You cannot purchase guided tours at some of the castles, so bringing your own guide is beneficial.  We had several people come up to us and ask to join our tour because they thought they'd be able to arrange a guided tour through the castle itself.

Also, keep your eye out for a castle (Kronborg) when you're cruising into Copenhagen-it was starboard side for us.  When you find out the history, you will love knowing you sailed by it and how the experience would have differed had you been sailing through in the 1400s. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Totally agree with most everything.   @love2crews. has mad skill on posting food pics.   We do, however, try to visit McD if we have not been to one in that country.   They always have some "special" items that is not available in the US.   We do that for all the states we visited in the US as well.  Some states, like Hawaii, has special items too.

For Belgium, most people think of their chocolate, but we remember Ghent's cuberdon candy (little nose).   Because they should be eaten fresh within a week or so for the best taste, you can't really try the real thing except there.   I don't like candy normally, but I tried one and they tasted so amazing, so we have to get a bag.   Then we heard the tale of the 2 brothers, we have to also buy another bag from the other brother's stand.   Then we ran out and have to go buy some more.   In the end, we ate like 4 bags of candies in 2 days LOL.   We are taking the same cruise as OP on June 25, and we will be at Amsterdam a week before.   So, we are currently thinking of a day trip to Ghent to do a candy run LOL.

Us too!  We like stopping into McDs to see what's different.  It's the little things in life that bring the most joy, lol.

Now I want to stop by Belgium!  Unfortunately, we don't have time to do so this trip, but you have me sold on that candy!! YUM!!!

2 minutes ago, lostchild said:

We didn't know that!   Now it is like a must visit.   We are annual pass holders for 15 years and try to visit every Disney Park in the world.   

We have the same goal and are AP holders, too!  We just need Tokyo and Hong Kong.  Tokyo is next on my list.  🤩

• Like 1

I've still got to play catch up and post dinner from last night.

Today is a sea day and we disembark tomorrow in Rotterdam.  We're busy packing and I hope to make a post or two later tonight if it's not too late.

Our trip isn't over yet, though.  We have a few more days in Amsterdam and then we head home on Friday.  I will be posting our Amsterdam food and activities as well.

I will eventually post photos of the daily "Celebrity Today" as well as some helpful tips we've learned along the way and final thoughts.

Thanks again for following along! ☺️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, love2crews. said:

Us too!  We like stopping into McDs to see what's different.  It's the little things in life that bring the most joy, lol.

Now I want to stop by Belgium!  Unfortunately, we don't have time to do so this trip, but you have me sold on that candy!! YUM!!!

Ghent is also the first time we took one of those "free tour" and it was great.   That's where we learnt about the candy and the tale of the 2 brothers.   The thing about free tour is that the guide only gets tip money at the end, and if the tour is not good, he/she may not get any money at all.   So, either the guide is very passionate about their city/town or he/she has to be really really good to get enough tip to be worth the time spent.  Our guide was amazing, and she also recommended the best restaurants and waffle places in town.   Also, another great thing about free tours is that you don't have to sign up, you just show up.   

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 12:19 PM, kabmab said:

Thanks for your great review!  Do you know if the ship offered any kind of shuttle?  We're on June 25.

Sorry you missed the currywurst!  We were stationed in Stuttgart for four years and loved the currywurst and the curry ketchup.  Good reminder for me to look for curry ketchup and pommes sauce when we are at Warnemunde.    I love checking out grocery stores when we do foreign travel.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

22 hours ago, love2crews. said:

Happy to help!

Enjoy your cruise! 🙂 

Had a stay in Berlin a couple of years ago. Currywurst is the best!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lostchild said:

Ghent is also the first time we took one of those "free tour" and it was great.   That's where we learnt about the candy and the tale of the 2 brothers.   The thing about free tour is that the guide only gets tip money at the end, and if the tour is not good, he/she may not get any money at all.   So, either the guide is very passionate about their city/town or he/she has to be really really good to get enough tip to be worth the time spent.  Our guide was amazing, and she also recommended the best restaurants and waffle places in town.   Also, another great thing about free tours is that you don't have to sign up, you just show up.   

Love Ghent, but wasn't a huge fan of the cuberdons as I'm more a chocolate person!! If you go, be sure to take the canal boat tour and visit St. Bavo's Cathedral (home of Adoration of the Mystic Lamb altarpiece) & go up to the belfry (with the golden dragon on top) for great views. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 3:57 PM, librarylady19 said:

Thank you so much for your wonderfully informative review and excellent photos and tour info! It’s a lot of work to do these reviews while on vacation, and much appreciated. 
I was intrigued by the art tour and will now definitely sign up for one of the sea days on the Apex TA, TY! Will also add Le Bistro lunch to my ever growing list of dining must-dos (i love lamb so will choose that day!). 
Enjoy Berlin; we are opting to go to Rostock on that stop next year on Baltics cruise as that is a long way to go for a few hours. We have 2 days in Berlin as part of a Viking Elbe cruise in ‘25. 

If I may I would suggest to go to Warnemünde, a beautiful and historical place. Lots of old houses, called captains houses (Kapitänshaus), lots of boats along the canal, selling bread rolls with delicious fish, an old light house which you can climb and lots more...and of course a nice beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chrissi3010 said:

If I may I would suggest to go to Warnemünde, a beautiful and historical place. Lots of old houses, called captains houses (Kapitänshaus), lots of boats along the canal, selling bread rolls with delicious fish, an old light house which you can climb and lots more...and of course a nice beach.

Sounds fantastic! 

• Like 1

What a wonderful cruise and you made it even more enjoyable by posting your lovely pictures.  I loved all the food photos along with the city photos.  Glad your family had a great time.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyed reading about your trip and your excursions. I will be traveling on Apex in July, starting in Rotterdam with stops in Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland. While you were onboard the ship, what was the temperature like and did you feel like you needed warmer clothes, based on the cooler climate? Thanks- I am in the southern part of the US where it is broiling all summer and not sure what to pack. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SN3725 said:

Really enjoyed reading about your trip and your excursions. I will be traveling on Apex in July, starting in Rotterdam with stops in Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland. While you were onboard the ship, what was the temperature like and did you feel like you needed warmer clothes, based on the cooler climate? Thanks- I am in the southern part of the US where it is broiling all summer and not sure what to pack. 

We are boarding Apex tomorrow on the same itinerary as you mention above minus Scotland. I’ll keep you posted on weather and packing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

We are boarding Apex tomorrow on the same itinerary as you mention above minus Scotland. I’ll keep you posted on weather and packing.

Have a great time- can't wait to hear about your trip!

• Like 1

I'm enjoying reading your cruise report as we were on the Apex last May for a Baltic Sea cruise with a similar itinerary.  Still had to do Covid tests back then!   Your photos are wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1