Arriving Early - Embark day

Does anyone actually arrive at their scheduled "check in time" ???  We usually arrive around 10:45AM and walk right on.  Wasn't sure if this was still kosher or not... It's been a few years since we've been on a ship - land resorts instead.  Can't wait to get on!!!!

4 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Biker19 is that a rule or a suggestion?  

Interpretation is up to you. RCI asks all guests to show up at their scheduled check in times on all sailings (you should get a reminder about this a few days out). Some folks (like Key, suites, Pins,etc) have some leeway, but everyone else is supposed to show up at the check in time they picked. For a while, the port staff enforced that - now, much less so.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

For a while, the port staff enforced that - now, much less so.

Seems to me if it's not enforced, then it's more of a suggestion.  I works to keep the passenger flow a little less dense IMO.  

My sister and I arrived to check-in on time around 11:30 - noon for the Vision, going into the Suite/Pinnacle entrance, and we were the only ones there.

1 minute ago, pcur said:

going into the Suite/Pinnacle entrance, and we were the only ones there.

Even when the check in times for the unwashed masses was enforced, the suite/P/Key line rarely was.

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Even when the check in times for the unwashed masses was enforced, the suite/P/Key line rarely was.

Seriously, Biker? It took me over 50 years to become Pinnacle, and I've never been unwashed.

I have also been in and absolute crush of people going in the Suite/Pinnacle door at Port Everglades.

It's Royal Caribbean, consistently inconsistent. It also depends on the port and how they handle it. I've found the smaller ports are looking more closely at arrival times. Once that timed group goes through, if there is space, they allow those waiting to go through. I just find it better to wake up early/stay up late on the first day we can register for our set sail pass to get the time I want. 

• Like 1

The reality is the minute you cross the gangway, you are officially on a cruises, which means eating and drinking and spending money.  Yes it is for crowd controll, but honestly, people arrive by planes, and go straight to the ship.  Hotel check out time is 11:00 and people go straight to the ship.  What are all these people going to do?  Go to the ship when they arrive.  Lots of people have no way to controll arriving time.  So, I'll see you when I get there, and hopefully will not wait long.

42 minutes ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

The reality is the minute you cross the gangway, you are officially on a cruises, which means eating and drinking and spending money.  Yes it is for crowd controll, but honestly, people arrive by planes, and go straight to the ship.  Hotel check out time is 11:00 and people go straight to the ship.  What are all these people going to do?  Go to the ship when they arrive.  Lots of people have no way to controll arriving time.  So, I'll see you when I get there, and hopefully will not wait long.

And your reasons are exactly why I choose late arrival times now. Even with early hotel check out times, I can still find ways to kill time before I arrive. While others like to arrive early, many of us like to arrive when cabins are ready, and avoid the initial crowd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Does anyone actually arrive at their scheduled "check in time" ???  We usually arrive around 10:45AM and walk right on.  Wasn't sure if this was still kosher or not... It's been a few years since we've been on a ship - land resorts instead.  Can't wait to get on!!!!

The problem is RCI is incredibly inconsistent when it comes to enforcing check-in times. I have been on 26 RCI cruises post COVID and have seen everything from check-in times strictly enforced to no one even checking your check-in time. If you decide to show up early on a day they are enforcing check-in times, please don’t be like other passengers I have witnessed yelling at port employees because they were forced to wait outside in the Florida heat for several hours because they showed up way before their check-in time 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Depends where your departure port is from.  I can tell you, Miami does not worry about it, nor does FLL  You go in, get checked in, go sit in the waiting area, and as soon as the ship is cleared, they board by row based on the time you get there.

2 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Depends where your departure port is from.  I can tell you, Miami does not worry about it, nor does FLL  You go in, get checked in, go sit in the waiting area, and as soon as the ship is cleared, they board by row based on the time you get there.

Canaveral - haven’t been there in a while

I have NO idea what others do.  We drive to Cape Canaveral, by the time we get there with traffic and park, we just aren't early these past two cruises.  Prior to that, we would get there early and there were long lines outside, something I avoid like the plague.  So my impression is that if one does not mind waiting outside, you can get in "early" after the suite and key folks get in. 

On 5/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, crzndeb said:

And your reasons are exactly why I choose late arrival times now. Even with early hotel check out times, I can still find ways to kill time before I arrive. While others like to arrive early, many of us like to arrive when cabins are ready, and avoid the initial crowd.

I agree with the later check in time. I can drive to all 3 Florida ports so 1-1:30 is perfect for me. I watch the safety video just before or after check in, find my muster station then up the elevator to my room which is ready.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 2:25 PM, karena1 said:

Even this is inconsistent, though. One of our recent Port Everglades (FLL) cruises was like what you described; on the other, they were actively holding back people who were outside of their check-in window. 

• Like 1

It depends on the port and the staff at any given day or time...

I have seen them making people wait outside in the sun until their boarding time. 

I have seen them have lines with boarding times listed and they were very strict and checked. 

And then there was a very disorganized port that was a free for all

Bottom line, don't be surprised if have to wait for your time. 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

On my last none Star Class cruise, Independence, Oct-Nov, Canaveral, we had a 12:00 "ARRIVAL TIME'.  We arrived at about 10:00.  Being a rule follower, I didn't get into the line we sat on the benches and waited.  At about 10:45 the line was down to about 10 or 12 people going into the terminal, I think that right at about 10:30, there may have been 50 or 60 in line.  So, at about 10:45 I went up to the guy that seemed to be the supervisor of the "ARRIVAL TIME" line and asked if he was still sticking to the "ARRIVAL TIMES".  He said no, everyone that wants to enter, can.  The rest is history.    The bottom line:  It depends!

• Like 1

Best time to board is a few hours later if on a longer cruise of 7 nights or more. I get the desire to board as early as possible for 3 to 5 night sailings.  No way around that as your time is limited.  I rather give up the crowded lunch onboard and rush to board by waiting on longer cruises, We still stick to our scheduled check-in time on the shorter cruises by checking in online 45 days prior to sailing ahead of time online to get the earliest time. We play by the rules and our vacation is just as important as others who think they should be able to board early before their assigned time. Wait for your assigned time! You should of checked in online 45 days ahead of sailing to secure an earlier time.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1