HAL Norway shore excursions

Frankie11

16 minutes ago, Frankie11 said:

Thank you, I thought that might be the case. Guess I’d better get some extra strong motion sickness tablets. 

My wife is very prone to motion sickness. She uses the patch behind the ear and, knock on wood  it works great.

• Like 1

Thank you, that sounds much better than a tablet, which tends to make me very sleepy. I’ll look into it. Is there a particular make which your wife uses?

Edited by Frankie11

10 hours ago, Frankie11 said:

Thank you, that sounds much better than a tablet, which tends to make me very sleepy. I’ll look into it. Is there a particular make which your wife uses?

The transdermal patch is a prescribed medication.  And can have pretty bad side effects.  Discuss it with your doctor.  If he/she does prescribe it for you, it's a good idea to do a trial run at home (before trip) to see what, if any, side effects you get.

I bring some Ginger chews.  They are like caramels (a little smaller) made with real ginger.  They are available at most drug stores, Costco, Amazon, etc. 

I did the Transderm Scop (behind the ear patch) years ago.  Made my mouth feel extremely dry all the time I was wearing it.  Didn't care for it.

Bonine, while non-drowsy puts me in a low fog.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

The transdermal patch is a prescribed medication.  And can have pretty bad side effects.  Discuss it with your doctor.  If he/she does prescribe it for you, it's a good idea to do a trial run at home (before trip) to see what, if any, side effects you get.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, Frankie11 said:

Are these the plant based patches or those prescribed by a doctor?

These are prescribed by a doctor. Warning, some people will have a bad reaction to the scoplamine. Temporarily reduces your eye power. Might want to test it before your cruise. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bring Chimes original ginger chews, drink ginger ale and get a stateroom low deck midship.  We had 30 foot waves going to Kodiak on Zaandam. Immediately went to my stateroom and was fine. Also used the chews on the way to Capri; many people and some crew were very sick, but not me thankfully.

I have used the scopolamine patch three cruises, was very sick after removal the last two times on 12 day cruises. Very bad withdrawal.  I will do a trial patch at home and remove it after three days to see what happens. This is in case of really rough seas, otherwise the ginger works great for me.  Good luck, motion sickness is awful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

I bring Chimes original ginger chews, drink ginger ale and get a stateroom low deck midship.  We had 30 foot waves going to Kodiak on Zaandam. Immediately went to my stateroom and was fine. Also used the chews on the way to Capri; many people and some crew were very sick, but not me thankfully.

I have used the scopolamine patch three cruises, was very sick after removal the last two times on 12 day cruises. Very bad withdrawal.  I will do a trial patch at home and remove it after three days to see what happens. This is in case of really rough seas, otherwise the ginger works great for me.  Good luck, motion sickness is awful!

My wife had issues after removing the patch after a seven day, but was fine on two previous cruises. I'm going to show her what you wrote; I've used Ginger chews when I anticipate rough seas, and they helped a lot.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, Frankie11 said:

Thank you, that sounds much better than a tablet, which tends to make me very sleepy. I’ll look into it. Is there a particular make which your wife 

I take a pill the night before anything that might trigger my motion sickness. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:56 PM, CGinMTL said:

I always have ginger pills ( non drowsy)

We saw a "Myth Buster" TV show that tested many sea sickness prevention options.  They determined that ginger worked the best.  My husband and I are very prone to sea sickness and they work fabulously on all our cruises, driving the Amalfi Coast in Italy, Disneyland, etc.  We get the capsules in the vitamin section of the drug store.

Edited by carolroad

My DD DH was subject to mal de mer.  After a lot of experimenting, he agreed that ginger and green apples were a huge help.  There’s a reason HAL has green apples out on rough sea days.  Sadly, without the yum yum man, you need to bring your own ginger.

I feel obliged to mention something that many may not be aware of: for men of a certain age who might have BPH, medicine such as Dramamine as well as Scopolamine and their equivalents can have a very negative effect, as they contain antihistamines. 

On one of my HAL cruises I was a bit queasy, saw the ship's doctor and mentioned about those drugs to him; having been unaware of this, he Googled (!) it and saw that I was correct. He prescribed another anti-nausea medication that was very effective. 

• Like 2