Tipping Question - Mediterranean Cruises

*MoonLady*

In ports or on the ship? Is your ship a  US based or European line? The simple answer would be to pay all cash tips, both in ports and on board in Euros. However some will argue that you should pay cash tips on board US based lines in USD. 

On shore  Euro

On the ship  they usually put the gratuity on you shipboard account

if you want to give extra  cash probably Euro so the crew can use it  ashore for personal items they need

11 hours ago, *MoonLady* said:

Hi, wondering how we should cash tip on our mediterranean cruise. Should we tip in EUROs or USD? 

When we do cash tips on board, it has always been USD$$.  

• Like 1

On-board that depends which cruise line. For any tips over and above the billed "tips", it's preferably USD for US ships, Euros for Italian ships, 

But either are acceptable unless for instance it's a US ship's last European cruise of the season.

Ashore in local currency (in most but not all countries that's the euro).

That's not quite so important for those who primarily deal with foreign visitors because they can lump a few months tips together to exchange at a bank or amongst friends or colleagues. 

And in many cases, for instance in restaurants, tips cam be added to card payments (in fact, make sure than the merchant hasn't added a tip without your knowledge).

And - off-topic - before swiping or signing or tapping in your PIN for a purchase, ensure that all card payments are in local currency, not the currency of your card. That way, not only do you get the significantly-better exchange rate offered by your card issuer, you can also immediately see that what you're paying is what was on the price-ticket or board or the menu, If the card-reader shows the charge in USD, require them to change it back to local currency

Same applies to settling your on-board account - if your card isn't the same currency as the ship's you'll be asked if you'd like the charge to be in your own currency "for your convenience". No, it's not for your convenience, it's so that the ship can convert at their exchange rate, which is poorer than your card's exchange rate. So if your ship is Italian, decline the offer to convert, leave it in euros - same as we Brits, Canadians & others do when on US ships. 

But waaaay more important than which currency you need to  understand the big  difference between the American tipping culture and the tipping cultures in European countries - and indeed the cultures in the rest of the world.

In the US it's around 20%, right?

In Europe it ranges from no tipping to 10% maximum

Some years ago an American CC contributor scornfully asked "how do you expect anyone to serve you if you don't tip them"

The simple answer, which most experienced US travellers are aware of, is that there are minimum (usually "living") wages in Europe & elsewhere, and prices include all labour costs - same as they do in American factories,  trucking operations, government services, etc and pretty-well all other jobs that aren't customer-facing. Wages are the bread, tips are the jelly on top. Tipping in Europe is purely discretionary. Whilst many Europeans do tip, it depends entirely on the quality of service. Other Europeans don't tip as a matter of principle - and they are as ignorant when in the US as some Americans are when in Europe.

Nobody in Europe is going to harangue you if you give nothing, and that's what I do if service is below-par - it sends a message to the establishment and server that they need to up their game.

There is a growing trend in Europe, particularly in tourist hot-spots, to add a service charge in restaurants, By law customers must be notified of any service charge, usually on the menu - though not always as prominently as it should. I avoid places which add a service charge, but in tourist places that can be difficult. If a service charge has been added no tip is necessary.

It's tricky knowing which jobs in which European countries have a tipping culture. And at what rate tipping is the norm. - it varies, but nowhere near the US norm. of 20%.

Some un-travelled Europeans take their European tipping culture with them to the States, which is as bad as (worse than) un-travelled Americans bringing their US tipping culture to Europe. Americans who tip 20% in Europe aren't regarded as generous - they're regarded as mugs.

So please don't be a mug, google "tipping in Europe" for a general guide.

I actually agree with most of Rick Steve's website https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe

Have a great cruise in Europe

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I've asked a similar question onboard, about tipping onboard when sailing in Europe, I have been told more than once and on different lines that either USD or euros are acceptable and that crew/staff onboard have access to a sort of "crew services" bank that will exchange currency for them, if needed, at par rates.

That said, I wouldn't ever tip in change unless that change was local to where the cruise is and you know the person would have a chance to use it. Most banks/exchanges will not take change, only bills.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

There is a growing trend in Europe, particularly in tourist hot-spots, to add a service charge in restaurants, By law customers must be notified of any service charge, usually on the menu - though not always as prominently as it should. I avoid places which add a service charge, but in tourist places that can be difficult. If a service charge has been added no tip is necessary.

JB 🙂

During a recent trip to Europe we were gently pushed for the "optional" service charge in some restaurants.  I suspect because they knew we were Americans.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

During a recent trip to Europe we were gently pushed for the "optional" service charge in some restaurants.  I suspect because they knew we were Americans.     

You are reaping the consequences of those Americans who travel and refuse to play by the local rules....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You are reaping the consequences of those Americans who travel and refuse to play by the local rules....

After a while, when asked, Mrs Ldubs said we were from Australia. 😀 

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

After a while, when asked, Mrs Ldubs said we were from Australia. 😀 

Along the same lines, a Canadian colleague once gave me two maple leaf pins to use while traveling. Her theory was that Canadians are better treated abroad than Americans (we do have a bit of a reputation to overcome). I'm not sure that has ever helped me.

But since I travel alone frequently, sellers and touts don't always have a chance to hear me talking before they accost me -- it's always interesting to hear how they address me. Apparently, many of them think I am German, given their language of choice. Perhaps it is my sensible footwear.... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6