Cruise disembarkation question in regards to flight times

Danny61231

Good morning,

I will be cruising on the Carnival celebration out of Miami in January and have been trying to keep an eye on flights. Today some new flights dropped and the prices are about half of what I've been seeing but the flight times seem a little scary to me for our return flight. 1 of the flights takes off at 11:40AM from MIA and the other flight takes off at 1:10PM but the flight is out of West Palm Beach. Also, to add to the complications our cruise returns on January 28th which also appears to be the day of the Miami marathon so I'm not sure how that would impact our travel times from the port to the airport. For normal travel we usually arrive at the airports about 3 hours early so cutting things close isn't something we're usually comfortable with and we will be traveling with our kids who will be 7 and 10 at the time we sail.

What time are you usually able to disembark the ship?

Do you think these flight times are workable even with the marathon happening?

What's the best (and fastest) transportation from the port to the airport?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm assuming others have had to deal with these issues in the past. 

6 minutes ago, Danny61231 said:

Good morning,

I will be cruising on the Carnival celebration out of Miami in January and have been trying to keep an eye on flights. Today some new flights dropped and the prices are about half of what I've been seeing but the flight times seem a little scary to me for our return flight. 1 of the flights takes off at 11:40AM from MIA and the other flight takes off at 1:10PM but the flight is out of West Palm Beach. Also, to add to the complications our cruise returns on January 28th which also appears to be the day of the Miami marathon so I'm not sure how that would impact our travel times from the port to the airport. For normal travel we usually arrive at the airports about 3 hours early so cutting things close isn't something we're usually comfortable with and we will be traveling with our kids who will be 7 and 10 at the time we sail.

What time are you usually able to disembark the ship?

Do you think these flight times are workable even with the marathon happening?

What's the best (and fastest) transportation from the port to the airport?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm assuming others have had to deal with these issues in the past. 

First of all enjoy your cruise on the Celebration, it is an amazing ship.  We were off her by 7:45 but we are Diamond and can be the first off.  There are several factors you can do to ensure you will not be running for the plane.  The easiest is yo do self debark.  The quickest way yo get to MIA is Uber of Lyft, we have done that several times.  You can decide to arrive whatever time you want at the airport but 3 hours (for domestic) is extremely conservative.  

Both potential flights you listed are easily attainable, but adding traffic going to PBI but there are alternatives in terms of roads to get there.  I totally understand the desire not to add stress but feel both these are cake walks.  

I have returned from a cruise during the marathon and while there were road closures, there was little impact.  We sailed tje Horizon out of Miami and on debark day had a side to sode on the 2nd sailing of the Mardi 4 hours north in Port Canveral.  We Ubered to mia rented a car drove 4 hours and boarded the Mardi Gras by 2:30.  Not for teh feint of heart, but still felt fairly confident.

I feel extremely confident you could be at teh gate in Miami by 9 or 10:30 for PBI, but all other things equal, I would go with Miami, just easier

• Like 1

If you self-disembark, carry all your own luggage, leave as soon as you are allowed and hail an Uber/Lift or grab a taxi, you'll be fine 99% of the time. Those flight times are right in the 'normal' wheelhouse folks do every weekend from the ships.  My ONLY hesitation would be related to that marathon. I'd do a little more research about it. I know it's been a source of challenge for folks but most of the stories I've heard were from the folks trying to get TO the ships.

• Like 1

If you have Diamond, platinum, in a suite or FTTF and do carry off, then you can be off lickety split.  We once had a 10 am flight off of the Splendor in Seattle and were there two hours early.  Similar with Mardi Gras--at MCO (about an hour away) by 8-9 am.  Usually off at Galveston by 7-8 am and on the road. However, you have to carry off the luggage yourself and have some sort of priority. Otherwise, it may take a long time to get off and I wouldn't risk that early of a flight. 

I have always booked flights 11:30 am to 1pm and have never had a problem. We just got off the Celebration 1 week ago if you do self assist (take your own luggage off) you were off the ship by 7:30. Taxi's were lined up and waiting right when you come out to the right no waiting for a Uber or Lyft.

• 11 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 8:44 AM, Eli_6 said:

If you have Diamond, platinum, in a suite or FTTF and do carry off, then you can be off lickety split.  We once had a 10 am flight off of the Splendor in Seattle and were there two hours early.  Similar with Mardi Gras--at MCO (about an hour away) by 8-9 am.  Usually off at Galveston by 7-8 am and on the road. However, you have to carry off the luggage yourself and have some sort of priority. Otherwise, it may take a long time to get off and I wouldn't risk that early of a flight. 

We are going on the Visa in November and are platinum. We plan to carry our luggage off and have a private shuttle scheduled for 8am and a flight at MCO for 12:15. I was doubting myself a little about the time. What are your thoughts on the 12:15 flight?

3 hours ago, tytanbri said:

We are going on the Visa in November and are platinum. We plan to carry our luggage off and have a private shuttle scheduled for 8am and a flight at MCO for 12:15. I was doubting myself a little about the time. What are your thoughts on the 12:15 flight?

With a private shuttle, you will be fine

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tytanbri said:

So what happens to your private shuttle if you can't get off the ship by 8?  Will it wait for you?

16 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

So what happens to your private shuttle if you can't get off the ship by 8?  Will it wait for you?

Yes, they will maintain phone contact with us just in case there is a delay.