Advice for 1st Time Cruisers from a Frequent Cruiser

Sthrngary

3 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

What could not be done once may be possible another time. Policies and intent from a company change sometimes as much as the weather and then you get individuals that view things differently. Being kind, polite, and professional gets you a lot further in life than being a know it all or rude. I always say being a friendly Canadian is one of my best travel assets.

When the airline lost my luggage and nothing was being done I ended up talking to a baggage agent who went above and beyond and contacted a friend who had by chance noticed my very unique looking luggage the day before in a warehouse at another airport. Had she been following normal operational procedures it would have taken a lot longer to get my luggage back. She went out of her way because we were kind and compassionate. It doesn’t always result in a better outcome but at the very least will make my perception of the situation better.

I wrote a post with questions about reunification with luggage during a cruise but didn’t get any responses that knew anything about the process. Do you have any experience with loosing luggage before a cruise? Is it an SOL till you get back home? What’s the process?

Unfortunately my luggage was lost prior to a Baltic cruise in 2018 out of Stockholm. Air was not done with cruise line so was on your own. Arrived in Stockholm a couple of days prior to cruise thankfully.  The airlines were not too helpful….it was lost in Amsterdam. It supposedly finally made it to Stockholm where it was supposedly sent to the hotel, but nah.   The morning of cruise went to a couple of stores to get clothes for the remaining 15  days.  Understanding my situation, In both stores, they had a sales person walk with me. Find my color and sizes in the basement storeroom and have them brought to the dressing room. Would not have been able to do it without their help. Quick trip back to hotel to pack my new purchases.  Caught a Hop On, Hop Off bus to the cruise port . The drop off point at port was far from the cruise ship. We asked driver if he knew where our departing pier was located.  He said he did and then proceeded to take us and the bus with other passengers directly to the ship!!! All while the other passengers cheered us on! 

Truly one of those crazy stressful travel moments that now years later you look back on and have a great laugh. 

And 5 years later, no luggage!!! Luckily between my travel insurance and the airline I was reimbursed for my lost luggage and contents. 

I guess moral of story, best not to fly to your embarkation city the day of embarking as you never know what may happen and having some extra time may be needed. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Unfortunately my luggage was lost prior to a Baltic cruise in 2018 out of Stockholm. Air was not done with cruise line so was on your own. Arrived in Stockholm a couple of days prior to cruise thankfully.  The airlines were not too helpful….it was lost in Amsterdam. It supposedly finally made it to Stockholm where it was supposedly sent to the hotel, but nah.   The morning of cruise went to a couple of stores to get clothes for the remaining 15  days.  Understanding my situation, In both stores, they had a sales person walk with me. Find my color and sizes in the basement storeroom and have them brought to the dressing room. Would not have been able to do it without their help. Quick trip back to hotel to pack my new purchases.  Caught a Hop On, Hop Off bus to the cruise port . The drop off point at port was far from the cruise ship. We asked driver if he knew where our departing pier was located.  He said he did and then proceeded to take us and the bus with other passengers directly to the ship!!! All while the other passengers cheered us on! 

Truly one of those crazy stressful travel moments that now years later you look back on and have a great laugh. 

And 5 years later, no luggage!!! Luckily between my travel insurance and the airline I was reimbursed for my lost luggage and contents. 

I guess moral of story, best not to fly to your embarkation city the day of embarking as you never know what may happen and having some extra time may be needed. 

We are flying the day before but we have a very busy schedule and shopping may not be possible. I have a plan if my luggage gets lost on my way to Rome in December but this one is harder because of the timing and the destination. Crossing fingers nothing gets lost now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

We are flying the day before but we have a very busy schedule and shopping may not be possible. I have a plan if my luggage gets lost on my way to Rome in December but this one is harder because of the timing and the destination. Crossing fingers nothing gets lost now.

I’m sure you will be fine. Just one of those things. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All:

Today is a very special day for me.  Not only is it 52 days to my "Once in a Lifetime" cruise through the Mediterranean.  More importantly, my wife is now researching the ship, the ports, the food on the ship and the cruise in general.  She never does that, EVER.  I usually do all the planning.  I am THRILLED.

We are going with friends who do "NO" planning and I have been doing all their planning.  I was getting uncomfortable I might mess something up for them or they would not be clear on an important item.  So I did a YouTube video for them and my wife.  The video was 41 minutes long.  We got through 18 minutes that took one hour.  WHY, because everyone had questions and talked over the answers being given on the video.  

Every minute or so I had to stop the video and answer question.  My wife then realized, she had some studying to do.  Today I handed her my "Journey Document" which was 47 pages.  I started it over a year ago.  Covers all aspects of the trip giving recommendations NOT requirements.  We are not using the brands excursions.  I find the to be much more stressful then going on our own. No waiting for buses to fill up for an hour, no having to get up early to make an excursion. We just get up, have a nice breakfast, put on our backpacks, get the mass transit to the city Central and go to two of three sites.  

This entire process just became so much easier for me with my lovely brides new found interest.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello All:

Today is a very special day for me.  Not only is it 52 days to my "Once in a Lifetime" cruise through the Mediterranean.  More importantly, my wife is now researching the ship, the ports, the food on the ship and the cruise in general.  She never does that, EVER.  I usually do all the planning.  I am THRILLED.

We are going with friends who do "NO" planning and I have been doing all their planning.  I was getting uncomfortable I might mess something up for them or they would not be clear on an important item.  So I did a YouTube video for them and my wife.  The video was 41 minutes long.  We got through 18 minutes that took one hour.  WHY, because everyone had questions and talked over the answers being given on the video.  

Every minute or so I had to stop the video and answer question.  My wife then realized, she had some studying to do.  Today I handed her my "Journey Document" which was 47 pages.  I started it over a year ago.  Covers all aspects of the trip giving recommendations NOT requirements.  We are not using the brands excursions.  I find the to be much more stressful then going on our own. No waiting for buses to fill up for an hour, no having to get up early to make an excursion. We just get up, have a nice breakfast, put on our backpacks, get the mass transit to the city Central and go to two of three sites.  

This entire process just became so much easier for me with my lovely brides new found interest.  

The final countdown has begun !

Today is our last day on Regatta.  Everything has been terrific.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise experience!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

The final countdown has begun !

Today is our last day on Regatta.  Everything has been terrific.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise experience!

@FetaCheese I have been reading your entire stream on Oceania.  I have gotten many smiles at the topics you bring up and how they tie to the comments made by others prior to your cruise.  For a while there, I was posting a lot.  This was the same approach I took on the NCL Haven and Crystal Cruises Boards.  After a while, all my questions were answered and now I sit back and enjoy the CruiseCritic.com read in the morning and before bed.  

I am so thrilled that you had a great time. Really, you are one of the few on the Oceania Board that approach cruising realistically.  That not everything goes great but we all need to have a positive attitude and be flexibly.  You never come off as the Ultimate Expert but always come across as wise and even tempered.  You deserved a great cruise and glad it happened.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese I have been reading your entire stream on Oceania.  I have gotten many smiles at the topics you bring up and how they tie to the comments made by others prior to your cruise.  For a while there, I was posting a lot.  This was the same approach I took on the NCL Haven and Crystal Cruises Boards.  After a while, all my questions were answered and now I sit back and enjoy the CruiseCritic.com read in the morning and before bed.  

I am so thrilled that you had a great time. Really, you are one of the few on the Oceania Board that approach cruising realistically.  That not everything goes great but we all need to have a positive attitude and be flexibly.  You never come off as the Ultimate Expert but always come across as wise and even tempered.  You deserved a great cruise and glad it happened.

@Sthrngary

Thank you for your kind comments.  You are, and been gentlemanlike.

I wanted to write accurate info, along with my 1st hand experiences. 

I am honored that you followed along.  I have learned much from your comments, which helped us to better enjoy our cruise.

Not all was perfect, nothing in life is.  However, I would give O an overall A- for our voyage.

Have purchased a Future Cruise Certificate.  I will wait for a sale that represents good value.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:14 PM, Sthrngary said:

Hello All:

We are leaving next week for a Mediterranean cruise out of Athens on Seabourn. Do you mind if I ask what ports you are going to? If any are the same as mine I would love to see your recommendations! Your posts are very helpful! Also is your video public on YouTube? Would love to see it!

35 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

We are leaving next week for a Mediterranean cruise out of Athens on Seabourn. Do you mind if I ask what ports you are going to? If any are the same as mine I would love to see your recommendations! Your posts are very helpful! Also is your video public on YouTube? Would love to see it!

Sorry forgot to tag you. @Sthrngary

12 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

@lisa6191 Let us approach this differently.  You list your ports for me and if I have information about them, I will respond back.  My approach was: 1) Ground Transportation from Airport to Hotel in Athens; 2) Hotel in Athens; 3) Each other port was time in and out, ground transportation from port to city central, Main Attractions and some food options.  

Again, give my your ports and I will give you what I have for those ports.  My document is excess of 50 page which is to much to cut and past.  On the video, it is private because I included reseration numbers and other personal information.  Sorry.

51 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Here is our itenerary!

image.png.00f6b12f39fbbd8d1d14cf4b39b79482.png

@Sthrngary We overlap on Athens, Kavala, and Istanbul. Would love any tips on attractions or food options, I am good on the rest.

If you have info from other cruises, our other ports are Skiathos, Izmir, Kusadasi, Mykonos and Milos. We are also flying to Santorini post cruise for a few days. I think I have everything pretty well in hand but always like to check to see if I’m missing anything! I am a researcher and planner like you and I love to do it. My family just goes wherever I tell them to and is always happy. 😊

13 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

@Sthrngary We overlap on Athens, Kavala, and Istanbul. Would love any tips on attractions or food options, I am good on the rest.

If you have info from other cruises, our other ports are Skiathos, Izmir, Kusadasi, Mykonos and Milos. We are also flying to Santorini post cruise for a few days. I think I have everything pretty well in hand but always like to check to see if I’m missing anything! I am a researcher and planner like you and I love to do it. My family just goes wherever I tell them to and is always happy. 😊

image.png.aa0996922f0925e01cac4f36d4e203ec.png

image.png.90d5e72b1af23ecf6fb13711df1afd83.png

image.png.9497d2b08a91aae426e87f2c018ee839.png

image.png.e5d50691bd1ae0c73b479434aed5ec54.png

image.png.f01a4b46eb0617d4903f76acd12d9b73.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my flight leaves early in the morning on November 7, 2023.  I am a five million mile Delta Airlines life time Platinum Elite member.  That is a lot of miles.  What do I do differently then some?  

1. Cleaning Clothes:  I bring prepackaged cleaning clothes for my seat and area around me.  I used to see the seat was not clean and just shake my head.  Then I started bring my own cloth. On the cruise, I do the same thing especially for the bathroom.  Same reason. Now I am usually in a suite, penthouse or above.  It does not matter.  I manage my expectation and simply expect to do some cleaning.  Sometimes, I am pleasantly surprises. 
  2. Candy Man: I purchase several boxes of See's Candy.  The good stuff.  I give it to the check-in Agents, and flight attendants in both cabins on each flight.  Many people bring mini milkyways then ask for an upgrade.  I give the box, I am already in first class or business class.  The flight attendant seem to be taken back that I ask for nothing.  Why, I need nothing. However, they cater to me and my wife the entire trip.  Our glasses never go empty.  
  3. Pre-Order Meals:  When you are in first class or business class international, the airlines give you the opportunity to order meals not on the menu.  When you are in coach, you can order special meals that are much better food then what is normally serviced.  Make a not of that. 
  4. Night Cap: When traveling international, I learned to have a Night Cap.  I define that as a Vodka and 1/2 of an Ambien. Got to have a plan. I also tell the flight attendant to wake me when it is time for breakfast.  
  5. Noise Reduction Head Phones: If they are not provided, I bring mine which are Bose over the ear headphones.  Some times you need a special adapter for airlines so have them handy.  After a while, the noise from the engine used to get to me. 
  6. Water and Walk:  On long flights force yourself to drink water and stay hydrated.  Drinking I know does not help that so have more water.  Walk up and down the isles often to stretch your legs.  You will thank me for this advice. 
  7. Charger Cables:  Most seats now have USB plugs to charge your devices.  You need your own cables.  Bring them.  
  8. Preparation H: Sorry but you want the truth.  Long flight can create, well, you know.  Be "Prepared" not a pun. Also have Tumms, Tylenol and gum. 

This is kind of basic however you would be surprise how much of this is missed by so many. 

• Like 4

@Sthrngary

Wife brings all of the above.  I laugh, but when you need remedies, we have them.  First aid kit, pain relievers--all kinds, meclizine, muscle relaxers, tums, Pepto tabs, disinfectant wipes for airplane loo--yuck, office supplies, super glue, lint roller. 

We also bring many extra days medications, never know -- we could be delayed for any # of reasons.

Also we bring our own pillow cases, to sleep more soundly.  Probably more stuff, but can't think of them now.

Your postings are quite unique, and extremely enjoyable to read.

Really wish we could be on your upcoming voyage!  You are one of a kind !  (I do mean that as as a true compliment).

Please keep posting your thoughts and methods.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my last post in this thread.  If you have a specific question, ask it using @Sthrngary so I know you had a question.

Social media shows only screen names for a reason. Just the rules to the game.  However, many members can be rude, short, hateful and extraordinarily opinionated. Yes trolls exist even on CruiseCritic.com. When on a Brands Blog, the faithful can be very protective or surprisingly hateful to their brand.  Know this when reading and commenting. Don't think one person's opinion is the foundation of that brand or experience. 

Take everything folks say with a grain of salt including what I say.  Use common business sense.  Never think your vacation experience will be perfect.  Never think if you plan a lot as I do, you will handle ALL the issues that will happen.  The best approach is what I call "Realistic Expectations". 

After your first cruise whether Carnival Cruises or Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, you will either love or hate cruising.  Go in to it with a positive attitude and stay flexibly.  If you like this stream and the effort I put into giving you the answers you requested, honor my work this way.  Be kind with your comments here on CruiseCritic.com.  Always attempt to take the highroad.  When you read the same member, saying yet again how awful a brand is to them, remember, others have a different opinion and why are they on the brand blog for a long time if they hate it so much.  Just know, people are funny when no one knows who they really are.  Don't play into that, always be kind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've posted this before. My two cents worth from a United States perspective:

• Travel insurance... I get it for one big key reason: Emergency medical evacuation back to the states which can easily cost $100k and upward. Also, your medical coverage may not be available outside the United States. The rest, like trip interruption and lost luggage, are plain gravy to me. 
  • Always fly in at least the day prior to the cruise. Yes, that means paying for a hotel stay, but it's better than waking up at o'gawd thirty to catch a 6 AM flight which you hope doesn't get delayed, only to be dog-tired on the first night of the cruise. If you are staying a few days prior to the cruise, spend a little extra money so that your hotel is within walking or public transit distance of the local attractions instead of renting a car.
  • In addition to putting your contact information on the tag on your luggage (and instead of using that string, plastic zip ties), also include the contact information and hotel you are staying at inside your luggage. Also, since every piece of luggage looks the same, a luggage handle wrap on both handles comes in very handy. 
  • Know how to put your phone in airplane mode, then enable the WiFi mode. 
  • Know how to use the offline maps function of Google Maps so that you can pre-download the port areas or islands of the ports of call.
  • Know how to use the parking function of Google Maps. You may not be renting a car, but once you disembark the ship at each port, you want to set where it is "parked" to make it easier to re-board. This is especially great when multiple ships are at the same port-of-call.
  • Noise canceling Bluetooth headsets and charger. A USB battery pack is also very handy.
  • Know how to use the offline download mode of your favorite entertainment apps so that you can listen to your favorite audiobooks or music and watch your favorite movies or TV shows while on the flight and/or lounging at the pool on sea days. 
  • If you have a password app like 1Password, you can securely store scans of your driver's license, passport card and book, global entry, and health insurance cards as secure documents for viewing on your mobile device
  • For those of us who stopped wearing a watch over ten years ago and rely on their mobile phones, know how to manually set the time zone on your phone in case the local time is one hour off ship time.
  • Always take along a small umbrella that can fit into your day bag. Not only is it good for rain purposes, but it's also qualifies as "portable shade". 
  • Relas! Have fun! You are on vacation. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2023 at 8:00 PM, Z'Loth said:

• Always fly in at least the day prior to the cruise. Yes, that means paying for a hotel stay, but it's better than waking up at o'gawd thirty to catch a 6 AM flight which you hope doesn't get delayed, only to be dog-tired on the first night of the cruise. If you are staying a few days prior to the cruise, spend a little extra money so that your hotel is within walking or public transit distance of the local attractions instead of renting a car.
  • In addition to putting your contact information on the tag on your luggage (and instead of using that string, plastic zip ties), also include the contact information and hotel you are staying at inside your luggage. Also, since every piece of luggage looks the same, a luggage handle wrap on both handles comes in very handy. 
  • Know how to put your phone in airplane mode, then enable the WiFi mode. 

Good bullets. A few comments from my personal view as someone who spends more time on the road than at home...by far. 

• I'm very much of the belief that if we can't afford the hotel room the night before or we can't afford a balcony room (or higher), we can't afford that cruise. It's not even an option...it's a requirement. 
  • Definitely put your travel itinerary inside your bag, preferably in an unlocked pocket of it. I do this for every trip, even if I am just doing carry-on on the plane. It always includes my name, phone number, flight info, hotel info (incl. arrival and departure dates, and phone number of the hotel), and anything else important. I also include my home airport, so that if all else goes south, they know where to route the bag back to. Yes, this has actually happened once with a checked bag - the bag tag came off, but my bag ended up back at my home airport. 
  • I never put my phone in airplane mode unless I am on an airplane. It's very easy to turn off data roaming but keep the phone active. I do this on every trip and have never once received a penny of unexpected data charges. Just another option to add to the list. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm very much of the belief that if we can't afford the hotel room the night before or we can't afford a balcony room (or higher), we can't afford that cruise. It's not even an option...it's a requirement. 

@Zach1213 Here is when folks learn the lesson on flying in the night before and staying in a Hotel.  They almost or actually miss the cruise.  Only takes once.  This ALMOST happened to me decades ago.  I was lucky.  All this said, I have heard some of the most creative excuses for not coming in the day before.  Then, when they miss the ship, it is everyone else fault.  

On the balcony stateroom, to each his own.  I have had a balcony for decades now.  I also have done the VIP suites on NCL/Haven, Celebrity/Retreat, MSC/Yacht Club and Oceania in a Vista Suite.  I go on less cruises so I treat myself to what I consider a nicer experience.  This is my choice, as is the choice to do an inside cabin.  As long as I am not criticized for my choice, I say we all do what works for us. 

Thank you so much for posting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm very much of the belief that if we can't afford the hotel room the night before or we can't afford a balcony room (or higher), we can't afford that cruise. It's not even an option...it's a requirement. 

Balcony? Uhhhh.... I can understand the appeal of the balcony having book said cabins in the past with my mother. I'm a solo traveler now, thus I have to pay for TWO people. Under the circumstances, a ocreanview or a inside cave is more friendly to my wallet. 

• Like 2

Thank you @Sthrngary I am one of the people who books interior rooms so I can cruise more often and respect those who prefer balcony or above but hate those who look down at me because I cruise interior. I love sleeping in complete darkness and don’t spend time in my cabin especially since I cruise solo. I rather cruise 3 times as much than book a more expensive cabin. My work and life is flexible enough that I can travel quite a bit and work while I travel so why not travel more and see more of the world. My goal is to travel 3 plus months of the year so I’ll continue to enjoy my interior room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Balcony? Uhhhh.... I can understand the appeal of the balcony having book said cabins in the past with my mother. I'm a solo traveler now, thus I have to pay for TWO people. Under the circumstances, a ocreanview or a inside cave is more friendly to my wallet. 

Oh I get it. Different strokes for different folks. To each their own with provolone. So on and so forth. I know there are people who only use their cabins to sleep so spending money on even an oceanview might be pointless. But for us personally, we use the cabin as an escape where we can spend time together, alone, watching the world go buy, reading books, etc. So a balcony or higher is not just nice, it's the law for us 🙂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

I have an idea for you, which I am sure you might have thought about.  I recently did my first Solo cruise.  Before I do anything, I study the options, rules and how it all works.  I choose a ship with NCL that did not have Solo cabins in the hope they would drop the need for me to pay twice.  With a few tries, I found a club balcony suite, where the rate was $800.00 for a seven day cruise on the NCL Joy with NCL's Free at Sea.  Best of both worlds.  It took some investigation, it does not happen all the time.  I had a great time.  Just a thought. 

15 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have an idea for you, which I am sure you might have thought about.  I recently did my first Solo cruise.  Before I do anything, I study the options, rules and how it all works.  I choose a ship with NCL that did not have Solo cabins in the hope they would drop the need for me to pay twice.  With a few tries, I found a club balcony suite, where the rate was $800.00 for a seven day cruise on the NCL Joy with NCL's Free at Sea.  Best of both worlds.  It took some investigation, it does not happen all the time.  I had a great time.  Just a thought. 

I got an oceanview on NCL for my TA for about the same and it’s 15 nights. Originally booked interior guaranteed but when the price dropped I just upgraded to get a better cabin and FAS perks. So watch the price and you might be able to snag an upgrade at little to know cost.

• Thanks 2

On 8/25/2023 at 2:27 PM, Sthrngary said:

How I Write A Post-Cruise Review:

First I always write and post reviews for my cruise experience.  I got so much pre-information from others, it is my way to pay it forward.  My reviews are always balanced.  Nothing is ever perfect or Losey. 

I take the key categories and create a template on a Microsoft word document.  All I have to do is fill in the blanks when I am done with the cruise.  I also include items that are not provided by the cruise brand but effected my experience positive or negatively.  Transportation, Embarkment Port, and pre-cruise dining as well hotel. 

By making a template, it makes the end product of a good review better and easier.  

The best review is when you have no expectations nor have ever cruised before.  I remember how happy and satisfied I was at the time.  As you cruise more, you expect more.  When the newness is gone you look and evaluate different things.  I hope this makes sense. 

I love the idea of a review template

• Thanks 1