Live from the Pride!

Eli_6

On 5/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, Eli_6 said:

A little bit about us:

We are a family of four: Mom, Dad, and two boys ages 9 and 10. This is not our first time in Europe or our first time on the Pride. We did the British Isles cruise on her last year. While the sites were amazing, the cruising aspect was not one of our better cruises with Carnival…so we are coming in with tempered expectations.  I am hopeful that there have been some improvements and will try to post my observations once on board. We have a hectic schedule so I can’t promise that I will get to check in or post pics every day, but I will try.

I am definitely the planner in our family.  So much so that the other day I expressed concerns about the security strike at Heathrow and making our connection.  My husband said, “Well, worst case scenario, we can always take the train to Edinburgh or rent a car and drive.”  In case you haven’t figured it out: We are cruising from Barcelona.  To Portugal, France, Belgium, Spain, Gibraltar, and ending in Dover. At no point are we going to Scotland.  Further, we have never taken a cruise from Edinburgh before. So, as you can see, my husband just shows up for the cruise and goes along with things.

As part of my planning, I start packing well in advance.  I have scoped out the best ways to get as much as I can in as little luggage as possible.  This is primarily a practical consideration as I want everyone to be able to carry their own luggage. I can’t be pulling my luggage and luggage for two kids.  And, when they were younger, I also had to keep them from playing in traffic or running off.  So, over the years, I developed a 1 backpack and 1 carry on rule. Everyone gets one back-pack and one carry on suitcase for their clothes and items.  This also allows us to be able to fly without checking luggage thereby reducing chances of lost luggage.  I use vacuum sealed bags to be able to get everything in and this seems to work well.

For Barcelona, I already divided out each day and have our outfits planned out for each day for all of us and all packed in one bag so that there will be no need for us to even unpack our other suitcases during our three days in Barcelona. 

Once on the ship, we will be able to wash clothes or send them out for washing--yay for finally being platinum and getting three free bags each!  I also vacuum pack many of our clothes to save space.

This year, we will also be forgoing formal wear.  I did bring formal wear last year and my husband’s dress shoes and boys’ dress shoes along with their suits took up an entire carry on. (Mainly it was their shoes—hubs is a 12/13 and boys are already in men’s sizes.)  That’s simply too much valuable packing space being used up for what amounts to dinner on only two nights.

After Texas Teaches situation, you made the correct call on the luggage! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thenagers said:

After Texas Teaches situation, you made the correct call on the luggage! 

boy did she. I told @HelloItsMeB that @Eli_6managed to carry everything on with a family of four and I will never be checking a bag again when flying anywhere. She looked at me like I had two heads, but it can easily be done!!! (Then again, one of us was 7 pounds heavy and one of us was 16 pounds light at check in, but what do I know)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I’m. Very impressed with your packing. I’m going to need you to give us lessons when you get back. I feel like I pack lighter than I used to, but I still would have a hard time with just a carry on. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I thought we were sailing on the same cruise, did you switch?

yes unfortunately,  had to weigh not being able to meet you with the outrageously ridiculous airfare to fly to Baltimore. They wanted almost 4 grand to fly from Regina to Baltimore.  It was cheaper for us to fly to England again so we switched to an Iceland cruise from a Greenland cruise.  Hope we meet up another time sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

yes unfortunately,  had to weigh not being able to meet you with the outrageously ridiculous airfare to fly to Baltimore. They wanted almost 4 grand to fly from Regina to Baltimore.  It was cheaper for us to fly to England again so we switched to an Iceland cruise from a Greenland cruise.  Hope we meet up another time sorry.

Totally understand, will look for another opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Barca tour was great and will post more from that later. loving out private pool now.  Hubs is straight up asleep. 

20230526_130957.jpg

20230526_131020.jpg

That pool is awesome!!  Heated?  Where did you book this through, if you don't mind.  Barcelona is on my list😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

That pool is awesome!!  Heated?  Where did you book this through, if you don't mind.  Barcelona is on my list😎

Hotel Granados 83.  I had to get a place with 4 beds.  And preferably 2 bathrooms.  

• Like 2