Puerto Costa Maya Cruise Port

beshears

We will be cruising into the Puerto Costa Maya Cruise Port. Are there any Taxis or Vans that will take us on tours, or anything like that, or can you suggest a tour group there in that area?

We just returned from Costa Maya last week.  We booked the Chocchoben Ruins Tour through Native Choice.  Small group (11 people) in an air-conditioned van with a guide and driver.  2 hour tour of ruins and 2 hours of travel.  Very informative, not rushed.  Even stopped at a roadside stand and bought fresh Mangos and the best Pineapple that i have had.  Much better than the cattle herd cruise tours and half of the cost.

Many of the beach clubs are having grass problems.  It tends to get bad at CM.

• Thanks 1

Taxis will take you to the beach along the malecon in Mahaual.  Some may be willing to drive you to one of the sets of ruins or the Blue Lagoon.  No idea of cost for those.  Native Choice is best bet for independent excursions.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beshears said:

My thanks to "both" of you for your replies. There are 8 of us, and I was trying to check out ahead of time what we might expect at the port.

If you are wanting an actual tour I wouldn’t wait until I was in port at Costa Maya to arrange something for 8. 

As has been said there really isn’t anywhere to “tour” to at that port other than to the ruins and/or Bacalar Lagoon and I would want to arrange both if those in advance given the distance and time constraints.

The pier and walk through the port to transport also causes problems if any of the group have mobility problems, so worth keeping in mind at this port.

If you just want a 5 minute ride into town and beach, easy enough to get a taxi on the day. If you want one of the out of town, quieter and more isolated beach clubs again you will need to reserve in advance. 

Lots of repeated posts on this board for things to do in this port, scroll back a page or teo to find something that interests you.

I would like to add to C-leg's post.  Not only is it a long walk to the port, but it is a pretty good hike outside of the port if you book with Native Choice.  Not a good choice if anyone has mobility problems.

I had a tour to Maya Chan back in February and canceled because of the grass problem.  I will definitely book again when in Costa Maya.

• Like 1

Yeah the pier in Costa Maya is a nightmare for the mobility challenged. (epecially since the trolley has been almost non-existant since the restart) An incredibly long walk down the pier, then to catch any transporation you need to walk all the way through the pier activity area and pool and out of the pier area to a taxi stand,(even further if you are trying to get to an excursion)

When you are talking about "walking," I am 80 years old, but I still can outdo younger people when walking. So if you would be talking about walking, if it was in city blocks, would it be a mile, two or three miles, etc.?

18 minutes ago, beshears said:

When you are talking about "walking," I am 80 years old, but I still can outdo younger people when walking. So if you would be talking about walking, if it was in city blocks, would it be a mile, two or three miles, etc.?

Probably about 0.5 miles to port and 1 mile to Native Choice. Add to that heat and humidity which is what causes problems for many.

Also there have been some really strong winds this year which have prevented many ships from docking.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thanks for letting me know bout the walking distance from the ship. That still really doesn't sound to bad to me, so we'll see. 🙂

It isn’t too bad as long as you don’t have mobility problems.

It was just a warning since you said you had a party of 8. Many people do complain about the distance and unreliable pier transport or assistance.

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Probably about 0.5 miles to port and 1 mile to Native Choice. Add to that heat and humidity which is what causes problems for many.

Also there have been some really strong winds this year which have prevented many ships from docking.

That distance really concerns me for several in our traveling group.  They can walk, but so incredibly slow, which will be harder with the July heat.  I have to admit that I’m hoping some of my family realizes they should stay on the ship and not risk the exhaustion.