MDR

CaptG

Just returned from 6 days on the Horizon. We ate in the MDR most nights and the food was terrible...all we could do to choke it down lol. Jk Jk. Seriously I can't understand all the negative comments about the MDR being inedible and what not. Like I said we ate there most nights for dinner and we had nothing to complain about. Sure there were no tablecloths...big deal..the food and service were good and it didn't take forever to finish a meal. 

Screenshot_20230515_191654_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191702_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191901_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah my wife and I always eat in the MDR on Carnival. Basically every night. While the food quality has seriously declined on the buffet in my experience, the same is not true of the MDR with some notable exceptions like the striploin. The portions may be smaller, I can't say for sure. I don't carry a food scale with me. But the food and service is as good as can be expected on the cruises I've been on lately.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, clackey said:

And the Valor.

Same for our recent Valor cruise, except for one item.  The grilled chicken that I had one night was as tough as shoe leather.  I did have them bring me the steak that night and it was much better.

Just got off the Sunrise and kept commenting how exceptional the food was in all venues.  Even though what is served is usually the same, from ship to ship it can very in execution.  The Sunrise, everything was very good.

• Like 2

I have always said the MDR food is restaurant quality.  Maybe not a Michelin rated place but certainly as good as your typical neighborhood restaurant.  Unlike many here, I have found the buffet food got better post pandemic.  I used to look for alternatives at lunch, but am enjoying the lunch buffet more and more.  Cant wait to see the new offerings on the Venezia in 3 weeks!

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 4:52 AM, CaptG said:

Just returned from 6 days on the Horizon. We ate in the MDR most nights and the food was terrible...all we could do to choke it down lol. Jk Jk. Seriously I can't understand all the negative comments about the MDR being inedible and what not. Like I said we ate there most nights for dinner and we had nothing to complain about. Sure there were no tablecloths...big deal..the food and service were good and it didn't take forever to finish a meal. 

Screenshot_20230515_191654_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191702_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230515_191901_Gallery.jpg

On the Celebration we ate in Rudi’s one night. Once we saw they had tablecloths we booked it every night for the rest of the cruise. 🤪

To @CaptG, your photos certainly make me hungry.  Thank you for sharing.  Glad you enjoyed.

I think food, as well as personal preference with a dining experience, is so subjective that it makes little sense to stress about other’s negative MDR experiences.  Cruisers need to just give it a try and decide for themselves.

This summer, we will be cruising with extended family.  I expect many varied opinions on the MDR.  I already know my SIL will HATE it, because she doesn’t like how long it takes and how much time you waste talking to each other.  I happen to love both of those aspects.  My brother prefers RCCL over CCL food choices.  Two of our three young adult children disagree; the third has no preference.  One cousin is stressing over our dining room table assignments, which is based on past travel with her (now deceased) parents.  That uncle would only buffet.

I feel confident that no one is going hungry on any cruise.

• Like 1

I've probably had upwards of 150 MDR dinners. All have ranged from 'perfectly fine' to 'actually quite good'. For all those who claim the food is inedible, I can't possibly imagine how great a chef you are. I'm coming to your house for dinner next Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few days back from 10 days on the Miracle.  6 Mdr's, 2 Steak House's, 1 Chef Table and 1 Lido Buffet (late lunch and not very hungry).   Not one bad meal in the mix.  Some better than others, but all good to great.  Favorite, and always has been, are the Frog Legs on last day.   I cannot find anywhere that prepares them better than Carnival!!

Just off Luminosa this past Thursday. We had the same experience with the MDR as the OP, but we had tablecloths!  😁😉

BTW @EngIceDave, I wish they’d never brought that craps table onboard in Seattle. One of the worst week-long craps beatings I’ve had in recent memory.  Oh well, c’est la vie!  😂 

• Like 1

Just now, 4hunters said:

BTW @EngIceDave, I wish they’d never brought that craps table onboard in Seattle. One of the worst week-long craps beatings I’ve had in recent memory.  Oh well, c’est la vie!

So new tables are bad juju

Good to know, bummer for you

• Like 1

Does anyone have current menus available for the longer sailings? I’d like to look at them and drool! 
We are booked on a 12 day European cruise on the Pride later this summer. In the past, I have found the longer the cruise and perhaps the newer the ship, the better is the chef and food prep all around.

I agree the food was good.  On Magic (during spring break and the ship was above 100% dbl occupancy) the service was slow on both "formal" nights but other than that I would much rather eat in the MDR versus the Lido Buffet.

• Like 1