Discovery Princess... relaxing or not?

snowlight

I'm looking for a solo getaway by myself - a brief escape from work/family obligations. I'm considering a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Discovery Princess.

My question is... is the vibe on this ship conducive to relaxing? I've been on smaller ships before and can usually locate some peace and tranquility, but I've never been on a massive ship like Discovery.

I really don't want to stress about line ups or battle others for a lounge chair. i want to chill out and be able to enjoy my own company.

Is it possible to avoid the hustle and bustle on these mega cruise ships?

Thanks for your opinions and experiences!

• Like 1

I find Princess overall to be extremely relaxing. I don't find it to be hustling and bustling compared to other cruise lines. The vibe on there for myself personally speaking I absolutely love how quiet and relaxing it can be and yet they still have fun shows and activities you could be a part of if you choose to do so which are usually held in lounges and then they've got live music everywhere. It all depends on what kind of vibe you are looking for but for me Princess says the job beautifully. No loud, rowdy, guests. The kids on board always seem to be very well behaved not as many children on board compared to lake carnival on Royal Caribbean.

• Like 2

Possible? Yes. A bit more unlikely though, considering that the ship and its designated 7-day itinerary is meant for families. You will definitely still have many opportunities to relax, like getting into the empty dining room for reading, using The Catch by Rudi's unused dining area during the day, or lounging in the couch area behind the back glass windows of the buffet. These are some niche areas I listed. But crowding is very likely and you may have to strategize for some of your other favorite spots.

I'd suggest considering the following alternatives in addition to the Discovery: the Crown out of SF this fall if you have the time, or even the Celebrity Eclipse from LA.

I have sailed on Enchanted twice in the Carribean, which is  comparable in ship size to Discovery. I would love to sail solo on it, but I would want a balcony to escape from all of the people at times if needed. You will usually be able to find single lounger, but how easy on a sea day depends on how particular you are on location. Pool deck area will be pretty busy on a warm weather cruise unless its a port day.  Retreat area is nice, and adults only. The rest of the ship.....you should  be able to find somewhere to sit and something to do. I didnt notice lines too much. I would watch your timing and avoid holidays and  times when kids are out of school. I am watching for deals later this year to hopefully take my first solo cruise.

We have been on the Discovery 3 times since November, and its been way too crowded for us. The Discovery has one of the best spa staffs that I have experienced on Princess. If the ship is anywhere near 90%, the buffet will be completely packed for breakfast/lunch. As long as you are elite for the stops with water shuttles it should be fine. Last time my friends got tickets and it took them 3 1/2 hours to be called. I can't comment about lounge chairs since we used the sanctuary.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

7 minutes ago, gamja said:

We have been on the Discovery 3 times since November, and its been way too crowded for us. The Discovery has one of the best spa staffs that I have experienced on Princess. If the ship is anywhere near 90%, the buffet will be completely packed for breakfast/lunch. As long as you are elite for the stops with water shuttles it should be fine. Last time my friends got tickets and it took them 3 1/2 hours to be called. I can't comment about lounge chairs since we used the sanctuary.

lol I'm definitely not elite. Just a lowly Gold. 1/3 of the ports are tenders so that sounds like a real pain.

I think I'd probably spring for the sanctuary, and a balcony for a little refuge as suggested above.

2 minutes ago, snowlight said:

Thanks all.

lol I'm definitely not elite. Just a lowly Gold. 1/3 of the ports are tenders so that sounds like a real pain.

I think I'd probably spring for the sanctuary, and a balcony for a little refuge as suggested above.

I mean if you line up early you should get off within an hour! Oh and I heard the Discovery now has Starlink! Hopefully that makes the wifi usable.

• Like 1

The Wake Bar at the back of the ship behind the lido buffet has some nice outdoor couches and tables where we spent some pleasant evenings on theDiscovery while in Mexico. 

• Like 2

If you have a shore excursion scheduled with princess that will get you ashore in a special group no ticket needed.  I was on her last year solo it was a full ship but after first day you will be able to find quite areas to hang out inside or out try the promenade deck 7 for outside.

We were on the Discovery for a coastal last month and didn’t find her relaxing at all. There seems to be a real lack of public rooms for quiet reading, etc. Piazza always had something going on and was very busy (so it was great for those who want something to do). We like a quieter environment. We spent a lot of time in our cabin and on our veranda. 

I did a solo on the Discovery in April. The ship was sold out. I easily found quiet and solitude when I wanted it, and activities if I felt like it. I ate by myself at a table for two, ate, read, and looked out the window. It was heavenly. I spent time in the evenings off to the side in the atrium reading my book, listening to the music, and when I wanted to, watching people dance. The back hot tubs generally were not crowded, nor was the aft swimming pool. I never ate on the Lido deck, so can’t comment about eating there. I also spent a fair amount of time on my balcony, especially during sail aways. If I wanted to interact with other passengers, I could have, but I took the trip to be by myself and totally relax. And that’s what I did! The only marginally bad experience was two days after I got home from my four day cruise, I tested positive for covid. I was 6.5 months post vaccination, so I guess my immunity had waned, and that steamy warm water in the hot tub must have inoculated me with someone’s Covid bugs. Even with getting covid, I would do the cruise again in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

Our group cruised on the Discovery this spring for Mexico. First time on this itinerary and absolutely loved it. Plenty of places to just relax, lounge, play cards. All while enjoying the beverage of your choice brought to you. Beautiful ship.

Also was on the Discovery for Alaska cruise last year. Had a fantastic time. 

• Like 2

We were on Discovery over Thanksgiving last fall. 3950 passengers and did not seem crowded to me. Of course, you will almost never enter an empty room, but always plenty of seating available. 

I did not use the pool area. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowlight said:

Is it the pool area that gets the most crowded? Seems like 3900 ppl (or whatever fraction thereof actually go) is a lot for the number of pools

Depends on the weather.  If the weather is warm then, the chances of the pool being swarmed is high.  If the weather cold and/or rainy, then no one will be outside and the interior spaces will be full of people.

Cruises from California are a toss up in the winter.  It was relatively warm all the way up until the first week of November last year.  Then December to March of this year, the state was pummeled with rain and snow.  This was atypical but made cruising along the California Coast unusually cold, windy, and wet.  The weather usually warms up once the ship passes Baja California.