Wifi on Koningsdam

We have wifi included for the first time onboard, not upgraded and one item each of two passengers. Do they give simple, thorough instructions for not-too-techies, on arrival? A few answers I’d be appreciate in advance, please. Answer any number you are able:

1) I will use my phone to take pics but prefer to edit them on the larger iPad…..can you switch back and forth for your one item? Or do you have to register one and stick to it?

2) If photos are taken with my phone, will they upload to iCloud automatically on their wifi so when(if) I switch to my iPad, the photos will synch up once it is open and appear so I can edit?

3) Besides photo editing and storage, I intend to send pics in emails and check Instagram and Facebook… any issues with downloading or speed? I’d presume it might be faster if half the ship is asleep or ashore?

4) We are on a Canadian plan only and assume once out of Vancouver, cellular data will be turned off and in airport mode to avoid unwanted phone calls and texts coming in and HAL wifi when in use.

Thanks so much!

my experience below is based on the old internet.  Koningsdam has the new Starlink.  You may get incredible service 

You can switch devices but can only use one device at a time.   Yes, your photos will upload to the cloud.  You can force the upload in photos.  Once they are uploaded then switch to your iPad and give it a moment to access the cloud then you will be good to go.  

In Apple email there is a setting to send a smaller, non full size image.  I send mine off when I wake up as I am an extremely early riser.   

My phone, while on ship, is always in airplane mode.  I use cellular once in port (US plan with international coverage).   If you have an apple phone you will be able to receive texts and FaceTimes from other Apple users while connected to the internet.  Don’t be surprised!  It is ok. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

my experience below is based on the old internet.  Koningsdam has the new Starlink.  You may get incredible service 

You can switch devices but can only use one device at a time.   Yes, your photos will upload to the cloud.  You can force the upload in photos.  Once they are uploaded then switch to your iPad and give it a moment to access the cloud then you will be good to go.  

In Apple email there is a setting to send a smaller, non full size image.  I send mine off when I wake up as I am an extremely early riser.   

My phone, while on ship, is always in airplane mode.  I use cellular once in port (US plan with international coverage).   If you have an apple phone you will be able to receive texts and FaceTimes from other Apple users while connected to the internet.  Don’t be surprised!  It is ok. 

Thanks very much! Very helpful. I gave you a trophy (I hope that button bottom right on the post is meant to show appreciation for a good answer! Lol)

• Like 2

Just off the Koningsdam and used the new internet and the basic plan with HIA.  Here are my answers based on our experience:

1.  Yes, you can switch back and forth between devices.  You don't need to log out of one to log into another.  Once you log into the second device it will prompt you with a message that a previous device is logged in and to select the button to disconnect that device in order to log in using the second device.  This means you can disconnect the other device while logging into the second device,

2.  I had security issues connecting with iCloud.  Not for pics, but for cruise docs I had stored in iCloud.  It appears the issue was iCloud's high security requirements.  My thinking is that you may have problems using iCloud while onboard,

3.  No problems whatsoever.  I sent a couple of pics in Messages and it wasn't a problem.  There were certain points along the cruise where access was spotty, but for the most part access wasn't a problem,

4.  The instructions to connect to the wi-fi are to first put your device in Airport Mode and then connect to wireless to the Koningsdam network.  Once connected you then open the Navigator app and then connect to the internet there and follow the prompts.

There are instructions to use it in your cabin on embarkation.  I am generally technically savvy and I simply overlooked the put your device in airplane mode and connect to the wireless network first.  I assumed that you could connect directly through Navigator and that caused a problem.  Once I figured it out it was easy going.

Lots of people have trouble with it as I don't think I ever walked by the Guest Services desk and there wasn't a long line up of people waiting for Navigator help.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Just off the Koningsdam and used the new internet and the basic plan with HIA.  Here are my answers based on our experience:

1.  Yes, you can switch back and forth between devices.  You don't need to log out of one to log into another.  Once you log into the second device it will prompt you with a message that a previous device is logged in and to select the button to disconnect that device in order to log in using the second device.  This means you can disconnect the other device while logging into the second device,

2.  I had security issues connecting with iCloud.  Not for pics, but for cruise docs I had stored in iCloud.  It appears the issue was iCloud's high security requirements.  My thinking is that you may have problems using iCloud while onboard,

3.  No problems whatsoever.  I sent a couple of pics in Messages and it wasn't a problem.  There were certain points along the cruise where access was spotty, but for the most part access wasn't a problem,

4.  The instructions to connect to the wi-fi are to first put your device in Airport Mode and then connect to wireless to the Koningsdam network.  Once connected you then open the Navigator app and then connect to the internet there and follow the prompts.

There are instructions to use it in your cabin on embarkation.  I am generally technically savvy and I simply overlooked the put your device in airplane mode and connect to the wireless network first.  I assumed that you could connect directly through Navigator and that caused a problem.  Once I figured it out it was easy going.

Lots of people have trouble with it as I don't think I ever walked by the Guest Services desk and there wasn't a long line up of people waiting for Navigator help.

How was the speed now that the Konindgsdam has Starlink?  Did you happen to do a speed test?

1 minute ago, erdufylla said:

I’m on the Koningsdam right now, and this is what I’m getting on the standard WiFi plan.

3BDDE7A4-46A7-4621-A45C-F32B61A270B2.jpeg

That's pretty darn good.  Will be interested to hear how it goes over the next few days.  I see you guys just departed Vancouver.  It isn't clear how good Starlink coverage is the further North you go.

Just now, cabland said:

That's pretty darn good.  Will be interested to hear how it goes over the next few days.  I see you guys just departed Vancouver.  It isn't clear how good Starlink coverage is the further North you go.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. I’m not going to enlighten the 14yo I’m traveling with. I told him I’d be too slow for streaming, so no TikTok this week. 😅 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, erdufylla said:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. I’m not going to enlighten the 14yo I’m traveling with. I told him I’d be too slow for streaming, so no TikTok this week. 😅 

LOL - feel free to post any additional speed tests as your cruise progresses!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 7:43 PM, erdufylla said:

According to this current page (courtesy @CruiserBruce), you would have to have the Premium plan for TikTok:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html

44 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

According to this current page (courtesy @CruiserBruce), you would have to have the Premium plan for TikTok:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html

Can  you make calls over the internet  using your cell phone  with  the premium plan? If so how is this done when the phone in on airplane mode ? TIA

Edited by mcrcruiser

33 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Can  you make calls over the internet  using your cell phone  with  the premium plan? If so how is this done when the phone in on airplane mode ? TIA

This depends.  If you have the internet and you have an apple phone you can FaceTime (call) or text other apple users.   Just make sure your FaceTime is still on your phone. 

also you can download apps like WhatsApp 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

On the old (not Starlink) system, my husband was able to join a conference call using VOIP (voice over internet protocol) on the Premium plan. Note, this was north of Normandy and the lag was pretty crippling! However, Starlink is now on the K'dam and my experience on the old system is not worth much. But assuming it is VOIP, you should set it up on the phone before leaving home. 

Google is your friend.

I thought I’d provide a few additional notes from my experience with the standard wifi plan aboard the Koningsdam last week.

— They definitely block some services on the “surf” plan — both TikTok and Discord were reported to be blocked. I don’t know if it was related or not, but I had difficulty loading the CruiseCritic boards while on the wifi, too.

— Sending photos via iMessage often took ages, even if they were smaller ones. I had far more success sending images through FB Messenger, which went through almost immediately.

— Text messages through iMessage went through quickly and seamlessly. No lag.

— I didn’t try making calls over wifi, but we did do FaceTime Audio calls a couple times, which seemed to go OK. 

— Also, a note of clarification: I had been interpreting their “one device at a time” rule as per cabin, not per passenger, which turns out not to be the case. Each passenger in the cabin can have one device operating on the wifi at any time, which makes it nice for keeping in touch with and tracking down your fellow travelers while on board!

For anyone wanting to take photos on your iPhone, edit them on your iPad, and then revert back to your phone for posting/sharing, switching the wifi between devices was pretty seamless and easy, but I think I’d rather just leave my phone connected and AirDrop the photos back and forth between my iPad or computer, which would go faster than syncing the photos up and down through the internet. Just my $0.02, though.

Edited by erdufylla

• 7 months later...

HAL notes that: "The base Surf Wi-Fi package included with Have It All includes access for one device for each of Guest 1 and 2 on a booking.

The HIA cost is based on a 'per person' charge. So, I am guessing that if we purchase internet access 'a la carte', we would only get access for one device at a time unless we purchased the

1-4 devices plan; is that correct? 

As an aside, and for others who may follow, it was quite difficult to decipher costs in advance based on the limited information provided on the HAL website, (though now that we have booked we have much more visibility to pricing).

As one example, I was pricing various add-ons 'a la carte' in order to compare the costs to the HIA package. I estimated an out-of-pocket cost for drinks, and also used 25-days x 2-people x the $29.99 one-day internet rate.

I subsequently found that the actual 'a la carte' internet cost will be much lower than I had budgeted for the 25-day duration of our cruise thanks to @crystalspin and others providing links and recent prices. 

Am I confused here? It's almost like HAL doesn't mind if we spend more than we need to - what's up with that ?!?

; ) 

Edited by Mike_and_Co