Haven suite - inviting a guest.

Twinbooty

Hi all, I've booked a Haven Suite for an upcoming cruise and my friend has booked a balcony room.

I 100% understand they won't be able to use the Haven facilities but I was wondering if in general there is an issue with them accessing my suite.  Ie if we wanted to sit on the balcony and have some room service, is this allowed or is it frowned upon?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct: non-Haven guests may only visit your suite and are not allowed to access any of the facilities. Also at the discretion of the concierge, your guests might be able to join you once for dinner in the Haven restaurant but at a charge. It used to be around $35/pp. Speak to your butler or concierge about room service.

• Like 1

We've met many nice folks on Haven sailings that we've invited up to see our room / Haven complex if they've expressed curiosity. We  run it by the concierge to be polite and have never been turned down - in fact, a few times the butler brought us all drinks and snacks (watching football games, for example). We never abuse the privilege and other than touring the pool / lounge complexes, do not have our guests use the facilities as that is most definitely frowned upon.   

From the marketing standpoint it makes sense. We never even knew about the Haven until staying in our first suite on the Gem (back in the days when you got called to upgrade). We were invited to a Haven party with the officers and we left that party / tour knowing that our next cruise would 100% be booked in that bit of heaven. 

Warmest, A,my

• Like 4

From a marketing perspective, you don’t want Javen guests mentioning or complaining about steerage passengers in the space. You want it to be exclusive. 

We, too, are invited to the Captain’s reception in the Haven when booked in steerage. We normally only can afford a Haven room once a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hello All:

This stream has clearly established that a non-Haven Guest can visit a Haven Suite yet not use Haven Amenities.  We have also established the use of common courtesy to the Haven Staff while doing so. The real issue is food, drinks, room service for your friends. 

I attempt to address these issue with one goal in mind, "realistic expectations".  Where some Haven Guest have had their butlers bring food, room service and drinks in for their guests, this is not the policy.  Yet with a kind word to your butler, almost anything is possible.  My concern is we all remember if you are denied, not to get upset.  That is a Realistic Expectation.  

My post is because of so many times when Haven Guest have gotten a personalized service or item that policy does not support and those reading think it is an amenity for all Haven Guests.  Any example is early access and seating for the Cavern Club which as many times as I have cruise the Haven, I have NEVER received.  At first I was disappointed then I realized, it was not the policy or a confirmed Haven Amenity.  

Going on a cruise and paying a premium for the Haven has so many amenities.  It is one of my favorite ways to cruise.  I find it the best of both worlds. Private luxurious space and huge ship with all of its activities.  I hope what I have had to say will be taken with the appreciation I have for all CruiseCritic.com members.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My post is because of so many times when Haven Guest have gotten a personalized service or item that policy does not support and those reading think it is an amenity for all Haven Guests

I've also tried to remind people that a successful request for one isn't necessarily a guarantee for others. One example is non-Haven guests checking-in/boarding with Haven guests. Can it be done? Yes. Is it always done? No.

The Haven guests who are denied shouldn't feel anger towards the Haven staff. It's a request and some will get approved while others will not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've also tried to remind people that a successful request for one isn't necessarily a guarantee for others. One example is non-Haven guests checking-in/boarding with Haven guests. Can it be done? Yes. Is it always done? No.

The Haven guests who are denied shouldn't feel anger towards the Haven staff. It's a request and some will get approved while others will not.

Wholeheartedly agree - which is why polite, friendly requests when granted are appreciated, but if if granted are taken with a smile and the same level of polite friendliness. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses on this one.  Very very good information and hadnt thought about the drinks on the balcony being outwith "the rules" as they have the premium drink package bought but everything said makes sense.  Will defo run it past the staff and we can see from there.

And yeah, no expectations from me so will understand if its a no.

TY. x

• Like 2

Our dear friends are researching itineraries for their first cruise, and my wife and I (experienced cruisers) will accompany them, whatever they choose.  We have never sailed on Norwegian, and (obviously, now) know nothing about how things work on NCL.  

When our friends mentioned interest in a Viva itinerary, I scoped out its Haven suites for my wife and I, figuring our friends (whose budget is steerage) could freely join us in our room and balcony to hang out together.  But after reading this CC post (my first on a Norwegian forum), it appears that even getting our friends TO the suite may be somewhat fraught, and any further use of Haven-associated facilities is at the discretion of the staff and could involve an up-change.

Good to know,  Now I'm going to Hoover-up lots more CC threads so I understand what Haven truly means, and what other options we might have for sharing a larger, private on-board space with our friends.

--Marne

Edited by marne-c
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marne-c said:

Our dear friends are researching itineraries for their first cruise, and my wife and I (experienced cruisers) will accompany them, whatever they choose.  We have never sailed on Norwegian, and (obviously, now) know nothing about how things work on NCL.  

When our friends mentioned interest in a Viva itinerary, I scoped out its Haven suites for my wife and I, figuring our friends (whose budget is steerage) could freely join us in our room and balcony to hang out together.  But after reading this CC post (my first on a Norwegian forum), it appears that even getting our friends TO the suite may be somewhat fraught, and any further use of Haven-associated facilities is at the discretion of the staff and could involve an up-change.

Good to know,  Now I'm going to Hoover-up lots more CC threads so I understand what Haven truly means, and what other options we might have for sharing a larger, private on-board space with our friends.

--Marne

@marne-c This might help.  Feel free to ask me anything.

23 minutes ago, marne-c said:

MANY thanks, @Sthrngary!  That indeed helped a lot!

--Marne

@marne-c The dilemma you have is not uncommon. I have a potential solution but it is by no means ideal.  Select a Two-Bedroom Family Villa with your friends.  These suites on the Viva type ships are better then the other large ships.  Usually, the third and forth person is free or limited expense and everyone is a Haven Guest with all the Haven has to offer.  

A long time ago, I booked two non-Haven balcony rooms.  I then did what I suggest and everyone had Haven Access. That was a great idea.  The only done side it the Second Bedroom does not have a view of the ocean.  Fair trade off for most. 

Just a thought.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Unless it has changed, and first thing butler told us on last trip to Bermuda, they can't bring drinks under package to room.  So it doesn't matter if Haven guest or not, drinks in room are out.  Room service, sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Select a Two-Bedroom Family Villa with your friends.  These suites on the Viva type ships are better then the other large ships.  Usually, the third and forth person is free or limited expense and everyone is a Haven Guest with all the Haven has to offer.  

@marne-cWe have travelled Haven with family.  Like @Sthrngary suggested we were in the Joy 2BR with our two adult children and one of their SO's.  This worked out great.  That said, it can still be a healthy bill. 

2 hours ago, marne-c said:

On two other occasions, we have traveled with friends with tighter budgets. (heck we were even looking to save a bit of money as Haven is not an every time deal for us!)  In those cases, we booked standard balconies (or Spa Balconies) and all get access to the Thermal Spa on-board and also booked the Vibe Beach Club (adult only sun deck).  That gave us all nicer areas to relax at a lower cost than the Haven bill.  Check out those options.

9 hours ago, Mississippian said:

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I met a guy on my recent transatlantic cruise who said he and his parents had been allowed to join his uncle and aunt in the Haven restaurant. It was a one-time deal, though.

What he and his parents don't appreciate is that Uncle and Aunt paid for them dining in the Haven dining room. 

• Like 1