The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 28th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Amnesty International Day, International Jazz Day, and National Hamburger Day

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken with Couscous
Drink of the Day - Vanilla Cream Berry Tini
Wine of the Day - Man O� War Chardonnay Waiheke Island Valhalla 2020
Destination of the Day - Macapa, Brazil

Today in History:
1936 Alan Turing submits "On Computable Numbers" for publication, in which he set out the theoretical basis for modern computers.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 29 May

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 29 May

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska a0100

Nieuw Statendam

Amsterdam, The Netherlands 0530-1700

Noordam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Palma De Mallorca, Spain 1000-2000

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Oslo, Norway eta 29 May

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1530

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Rotterdam

0528World.thumb.png.4bd3f32defc3b755d54770b02b629e52.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Happy Sunday.  Thank you Rich, Eva, Tina, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  I will not have a hamburger today but like all the days, especially Amnesty International.  I like the Twain quote with some reservations.  I've been  to Macapa just once, Prinsendam in 2017  Main claim to fame is it sits PRECISELY on the Equator.  Would we have the Fleet Report and Daily without Alan Turing?  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Melange of Tropical Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken with Rice, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam May 27, 2015.

Safe remaining travels, Vanessa.

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

I have just posted today's link from Father David for today's sermon.

Thank you for today's daily reports the food and beverage and daily lists.

3 good days today.

Today's food and wine look interesting.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

I hope everyone has a Wonderful day.

Graham.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Vanilla Cream Berry Tini:  (I knowk, not a real martini)

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Vanilla Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Half and Half
Raspberries
Chocolate Shavings

Instructions
Rim martini glass with shaved chocolate. Shake with ice, strain into prepared martini glass, and garnish with raspberries.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 7.15.03 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  I had a good night's sleep last night and awoke naturally at 6:30 am.  It's 48F here in A2, cloudy for a change (this visit) and will be 82 degrees today.  Not sure what's on the schedule for the day but this household of 4 is always off someplace at all times.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  Amnesty, jazz and hamburgers are interesting yet varied topics.  I would say I'm pro on all of them.  Appreciate Twain's quote and for once he seemed serious about something instead of funny.  The chicken dish will please some I'm sure, no to the cocktail and wine though.  Without Turing where would we be?  Possibly in the same place though it may have taken the rest of us a lot longer to catch up to where we are now.  Thanks to Food and Beverage ladies Tina @0106, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.  We appreciate you!

Prayers for our Care list people.  🙏  Cheers for the Celebration list folks!🥂  Sorry to here about Vanessa's @JazzyV delayed flight.  It seems to happen more and more these days.  Congrats to all enjoying a cruise right now.🚢  Hope Denise @Denise T arrived safely and got a little sleep.  Today is a big day for her.  Thank you Eva @superoma!!

The port today is Macapa, Brazil.  On our recent Amazon cruise that was simply called a service call because we didn't stop there.  At 8 am I went outside, where I'm sure my lense fogged up on the camera, and saw a boat drop off a pilot.  Then I took a couple pics of the shoreline.  That is all you will see from me on that port, though the last two times we had that port I had to say no I'd never seen it before!  Progress!!  

The dates for the links were August 20, 2021 and Feb. 6, 2022 and if you have photos to retrieve, go for it!

We had our fancy, schmancy dinner last night at an excellent restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor.  Service was excellent and attentive.  Everyone enjoyed their steaks, lobster, crabcakes and even I enjoyed my French Onion Soup.  That is all I ordered and it took me longer to eat than most of the other main courses did.  Ren ate an enormous steak but then he could use the calories and protein.  He burns every calorie he consumes. At home I tried half a slice of the 3 layer triple chocolate cake and it was great.  The boys went out to see their friends and Mimi went to bed!  Sounds like a good day to me.  Glad to be feeling much better.

Hoping you all have a wonderful Sunday, and safe travels for those who are on the road or in the skies.  Oh, let's not forget a train in Alaska either!

Here are the three photos from Macapa, Brazil taken on Nov. 27, 2022.  The pilot boat leaving.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLK6eei3bkzDFeE22sDfCbwqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531495

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjpoyTD4bZGnBfrVAjWKu44xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530633

Seems we didn't miss much.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLyqyNT44Z-d-bkYgGShjHarnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530633

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Sunday May 28 care and celebration list

57redbird’s cousin with gioplastoma, prayers for peaceful passing and family comfort

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

St. Louis cruisers with a health scare

Wildfire and tornado victims

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab but close to home

Atexsix DF working on getting

Roy recovering from pneumonia and getting stronger

Celebrations

Tana, celebrating small wellness victories as they

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

Cruising-along good nephrologist appointment 

Luvteaching’s dh making good progress 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Bon voyage DeniseT (n. Amsterdam 5/28 to June 4)

Welcome back

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

Cruising 

Oceansaway17 (Disney fantasy  to June 3)

DeniseT (n. Amsterdam to June 4)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

The meal of the day for this Sunday is Chicken with Couscous. Couscous is a traditional Berber dish of semolina (granules of durum wheat) which is cooked by steaming. Couscous is a staple food throughout the North African cuisines of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania. Some foodies consider this grain product to be a type of pasta, but the similarity is only superficial — couscous is made of crushed durum wheat semolina, not the ground type used for pasta. It has a nutty, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with stews, braises, and grilled or roasted veggies. 

Couscous falls into the category of super grains, which are all those foods that stand out for their nutritious qualities. Couscous is a good source of fiber, an essential nutrient for diabetics because of its glucose-lowering effect. Fiber is good for you in a lot of ways. It can stop your blood sugar from spiking, can keep you fuller longer and it can help lower cholesterol, which can reduce your chances of heart disease. It is also a rich source of protein and offers minimal fat and contains excellent amounts of minerals such as magnesium, iron and zinc.

Skillet Chicken with Couscous  I like this easy recipe because it is  ready in 30 minutes and all made in one skillet. Basically you sauté chicken thighs with some spices, add the couscous and broth and finish it in the oven.  How easy is that?

image.thumb.png.b77676cf1217aa3297fdae860d60c0ee.png

Easy Moroccan Chicken Couscous   I selected this recipe because  the chicken is coated with a Moroccan-inspired rub of garlic, tomato paste and warm seasonings including Ras El Hanout, cinnamon and ginger. Vegetables-carrots, celery, and onions-are added to make a one-pan baked chicken dinner. After baking the chicken and vegetables, you spoon the (cooked) couscous between the chicken and allow it to soak up the pan juices. It is finished with raisins or other chopped dried fruit of your choice. (I think apricots would be yummy.)

image.thumb.png.f87efd9e8ef4776d7d42f2e03613ed25.png

Quick Chicken Couscous This recipe is made with a chicken breast (but I would make it with leftover chicken) and diced veggies-zucchini, green beans, bell peppers and onions-but really, whatever you have in your refrigerator would work; the veggies add color, flavor, and texture.  It's an impressive meal that takes just minutes to make once all the ingredients are prepped. The best part is it can be eaten at any temperature and would be perfect to pack for a picnic.

image.png.b919f6e0e2c4414df8ec2ff43c66188f.png

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. It is 57 this morning. 😱 A first for me in my almost 8 years here in Florida. I won’t complain, but it is unusual. 

Eva, thinking of you and your family. Thank you for taking such great care of us. Debbie & Sandi, hope you two are doing better today. 

Just gym, Aldi, Bindi walks are on my list today. 

Walkers & joggers beware!

IMG_1304.jpeg.fec22f2417d125f59c945d98abec8fa5.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg.63c51dbcb44e7ebae91091977d041db8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Man O’ War Chardonnay Waiheke Island Valhalla 2020

Rich, I find it interesting that I did not have to use my decoder ring ONCE, while Sandi was posting the R & D. But this is the third time since you returned from your epic journey that I had to pull it out. 🤔

This vintage is quite elusive, unless you live in New Zealand. I found one distributor who would ship the 2019 vintage to me, but its reviews were not as favorable as this ones. New Zealanders - this vintage can be yours for $21.76.

Cameron Douglas’ review 

A full-bodied, nutty, rich and powerful wine with a core of roasted stone fruit and toasty cashew-nut oak flavours, fine textured tannins and a brazil-nut butter texture. Baked peaches and lemon, nectarine skin and grapefruit. There’s vanilla and nut, warming alcohol and medium+ acidity. A wine that ticks all the boxes of weight and intensity, richness and power, flavour and deliciousness. A lovely drinking wine from day of purchase through 2026+.

95 Points

Outstanding

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

Good morning. We will have another nice day here with 77 degrees expected later.I salute all of the days,like the quote and have not been to the port. Tina @0106, the recipes look so good and I will try the first one later in the week. Thank you.

Today we are planning a BBQ and there will be burgers for carnivores and vegetarians alike. I made potato salad and a cannellini bean salad with greens. We are trying to convince Tana to try to join us outdoors but would need neighborhood help with transport. We are literally on a hill here so there are ten steps  to the patio. She has not been outside for more than a few minutes since last year. Fingers crossed.

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We will have another nice day here with 77 degrees expected later.I salute all of the days,like the quote and have not been to the port. Tina @0106, the recipes look so good and I will try the first one later in the week. Thank you.

Today we are planning a BBQ and there will be burgers for carnivores and vegetarians alike. I made potato salad and a cannellini bean salad with greens. We are trying to convince Tana to try to join us outdoors but would need neighborhood help with transport. We are literally on a hill here so there are ten steps  to the patio. She has not been outside for more than a few minutes since last year. Fingers crossed.

I hope Tana can get outside for the barbecue.  Just a little bit of fresh air and joining everyone out there might be a big boost for her.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily and all the information, on this Sunday morning,

I’ve been volunteering in the toddler and Pre-K area during adult Sunday School before church.  Last week was with the 4-5 year olds; today will be the 2-3 year olds.  Looking forward to those precious but energetic little ones today.  

Prayers for all in need, and cheers for those with good news, celebrating, or traveling. 

• Like 29

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

What a great collection of days.   Jazz is such great music and a hamburger is great - especially in the summer on the BBQ.  But, Amnesty International is such an important organization and done so much for so many that it will be the one I celebrate. 

Love the Mark Twain quote.  Not always true but a good reminder to not follow the lemmings (or sheep) without thinking and reflecting.  And YAY - a white wine - so hope it is not too oaky 🤞 

IMG_3640.jpeg.b5734d0fdb44fa07e5ca7022cace6b68.jpeg

@JazzyV so sorry to hear of your delay 😔 Hope the rest of your flight home goes smoother.

My roll call for the Voyage of the Midnight Sun has disembarked and most are heading home.  Safe travels to them all especially @cruising sister & @SusieKIslandGirl.  Hope I didn’t forget any other Daily-ites 😬 

@DeniseT Bon Voyage !

IMG_3412.jpeg.4a987d81c3663031d8bf52ec09ae56e2.jpeg

What a change in our weather!  On Friday I was wearing a light jacket walking Ivan.  Yesterday, I had my hand and foot on the pavement to test it for his paws before we could finally go for a walk later in the day when it was cooler.  Yes, it went straight to summer yesterday!  It was over 28 Celsius!  

IMG_3638.jpeg.9bdd5924d18b9664265b8277fe07ca3c.jpeg

Turns out there were other wise dog owners with the same idea of walking their dogs when it was safer for them.  Ivan had a full blown other dogs on the walk test.  He let out one bark and alerted me one was coming up on us.  I told him to be a good boy and he was!  He got a few training treats to encourage him & for being so good 🙂.   I was very impressed!

Didn’t get as much done as I wanted yesterday.   Guess I was in a wave (sometimes you can’t stop them) and my heart wasn’t in it - especially after I accidentally banged my elbow.    And, I couldn’t let Ivan stay out in that heat too long.  But, there is some stuff done.    Ivan and I are going to start earlier this morning and see if we can make up for my lack of enthusiasm yesterday.  I’ll get my crown on and get tougher LOL.

IMG_3628.jpeg.3749a643b572c9901eb54132680097b3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to all those celebrating.

IMG_0592.thumb.jpeg.97ff5bc32b96296e24c872e9145a3ce9.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I hope you have a fantastic barbecue Terry and you are able to include Tana outside too.

Sending Tana our best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877 I hope that your neighborhood crew can get Tana out to enjoy your picnic today!

Good Sunday morning.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.   If we passed by today's port we must have missed the notification.    I rather disagree with the Twain quote.   No need to change one's opinion just because most agree.   Today's chicken dish looks lovely.   We have been on strict diets since we returned from our cruise.  I woke up this morning thinking I need to figure out how to make our salads more interesting.   Meat and salad can get boring.   I will pass on the obscure wine but thanks to @cat shepard for finding some information about it.   Total pass on the cocktail, way too sweet.   @superoma Thanks for keeping our care and celebrations lists each day.  Prayers for all of our group needing them and the people of Ukraine.

More weeding here today and trying to get the lake water pump to work.   We at least got the gauge to move off from zero.  No rain in the forecast here until Wednesday so we really need to get it running for my plants so they flower like I like them.    Have a wonderful Sunday and I hope a lot of you have wonderful get togethers to recognize this special holiday.  Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. It’s currently 58 degrees but will rise to eighties. I have been told I’m cooking ribs today as Sue has invited our neighbors over for dinner. I applied dry rub to ribs yesterday and will spend a lot of time today tending the grill.

I need to start getting ready for church. Thanks for the reports and may all of you have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.22a69274af385b3fe4870c25a6967f21.jpegimage.jpeg.dc0d8aaba8e126e9f42c0685cacba8dc.jpegimage.jpeg.b1167b0f9d245ccba217a40b86332d2d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.01d1c737b536ee6e3c898ffaeb451bf7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b0006758185db6f67d846e9fc568986b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.60d5dff7dac79f246b5c820ee43a4e77.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 19

Good morning, everyone!

I am feeling a lot better this morning after a great night's sleep.  Far less bloat and it doesn't hurt to lay down.  Just getting in bed was painful for a few days there.  Give me another week and I'll be back to normal.  

DS Mary Jo has invited us over for ribs today, so that is what we shall do.  I'm making a broccoli salad to take along.   

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny morning. Yesterday we made the rest of the cemetery delivery and accomplished our Lancaster county dining plans. Had a delicious steak dinner for lunch and brought chicken bbq home for tonight. 
For those of you interested, the National Memorial Day concert is televised live on PBS at 8pm eastern time. It’s always a moving affair.

Also, I found a webcam for the port of Whittier@ cruisingearth.com. The NA had arrived and is waiting to welcome @Denise T.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny morning. Yesterday we made the rest of the cemetery delivery and accomplished our Lancaster county dining plans. Had a delicious steak dinner for lunch and brought chicken bbq home for tonight. 
For those of you interested, the National Memorial Day concert is televised live on PBS at 8pm eastern time. It’s always a moving affair.

Also, I found a webcam for the port of Whittier@ cruisingearth.com. The NA had arrived and is waiting to welcome @Denise T.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Thanks for telling us the link to that webcam.  I turned it on and even before 5 am local time someone is moving that camera around all over the place.  The brief images of the N. Amsterdam are nice though.

• Like 17

Good morning from a overcast central Texas.  It is 70F with a high of 82F.  Rain is predicted on and off through Wednesday and is supposed to begin about 4 pm, but when it actually rains is anybody's guess.  Today will be an easier day than the last few days.  The main item on the agenda is cooking.  We'll be smoking some babyback ribs, and I'll be making potato salad and baked beans to go with the ribs.  Dessert will be key lime pie.  

Amnesty International does great work, but unfortunately their work is never ending.  I like jazz in small doses.  We celebrated national hamburger day a few days ago.

The Mark Twain quote is interesting; and I'll have to think about it some more.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

We might have stopped at Macapa on the old Regal Princess in 2006, but our unscheduled stop at the entrance to the Amazon was not one where we were allowed off the ship.  It was for divers to inspect the hull after we ran aground on a sandbar about 40 miles off shore earlier that day.  Fortunately, there was no damage to the ship; and we could continue our trip up the river.  Needless to say, there are no pictures of the very unattractive dock.

Alan Turning's theory certainly stated a technological revolution in many aspects.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana will be able to join you on the deck today.  It should help everyone's morale.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad Ivan did well on his walk.  Somedays, you just need to slow down and take a break.  That's what I'm doing today.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry your flight was delayed and now you have such a long layover in Atlanta.  I hope the remainder of the day goes as planned.

@dfish  Debbie, that is good news about a great night's sleep and less bloating.  Enjoy you day out.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3