Europe cruise October 2023

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

I was thinking about the ports. I have 7 on this cruise.  Any ideas on how many Euros to take just for souvenirs, food, etc. I'm doing excursions but will have opportunities to shop, etc.

You can use a debit card in ports to get more euros if needed.  Shops also take credit cards.  Be sure to have one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.  EM

I’m doing Europe this summer and a transatlantic repositioning cruise this fall. I’m really excited too. One thing to remember when using credit cards in Europe is to never convert to euros when making purchases.  Whether you’re getting cash at an ATM or making a purchase if it asks if you’d like for them to convert it to euros for you say no, the fees are usually very steep. Just leave it and let your credit card do the converting. Your credit card company won’t have crazy conversion rates or hidden fees. You won’t need much cash in Europe since everything (subways, restaurants, shops, tour operators etc) takes credit cards. But you’ll probably need some to tip your tour guide or if you need to use the bathroom (no it’s not free there.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

I was thinking about the ports. I have 7 on this cruise.  Any ideas on how many Euros to take just for souvenirs, food, etc. I'm doing excursions but will have opportunities to shop, etc.

I wouldn’t take any euros, personally. We live in a largely cashless world nowadays. Europe is no different. And tips aren’t a thing in Europe like they are in the US or the Caribbean. Personally, it’s one of my favorite things about cruising in Europe. 

21 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

I’m doing Europe this summer and a transatlantic repositioning cruise this fall. I’m really excited too. One thing to remember when using credit cards in Europe is to never convert to euros when making purchases.  Whether you’re getting cash at an ATM or making a purchase if it asks if you’d like for them to convert it to euros for you say no, the fees are usually very steep. Just leave it and let your credit card do the converting. Your credit card company won’t have crazy conversion rates or hidden fees. You won’t need much cash in Europe since everything (subways, restaurants, shops, tour operators etc) takes credit cards. But you’ll probably need some to tip your tour guide or if you need to use the bathroom (no it’s not free there.)

I was in Amsterdam last summer for a cruise and I found out that even the homeless there take credit cards! I was eating outside in a cafe and someone came up to me asking me for money. I said I didn't have any cash on me (which was true) and he said, "we take cards now" and pulled out a small credit card reader. I laughed and said, "I'm still not giving you any money." So, now, you do not need any cash in Europe even if you wish to donate to the homeless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

Thanks for the tip, especally about the restroom!

You’re welcome. I’ve been reading tons of reviews and that was the biggest complaint people had. Nobody from America would expect to pay for a restroom. 

1 hour ago, cruisinqt said:

You’re welcome. I’ve been reading tons of reviews and that was the biggest complaint people had. Nobody from America would expect to pay for a restroom. 

Well, it actually depends on the country.

In Restaurants and bars, you normally do NOT need to pay for using the toilets, but you might if not a customer.

and no, we do NOT tip in the EU, please respect this. We pay our staff actual salaries and everybody has great health care. 

I advise to get a Revolut debit card and take-out cash from the atm’s.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Well, it actually depends on the country.

In Restaurants and bars, you normally do NOT need to pay for using the toilets, but you might if not a customer.

and no, we do NOT tip in the EU, please respect this. We pay our staff actual salaries and everybody has great health care. 

I advise to get a Revolut debit card and take-out cash from the atm’s.

In America there’s lots of free bathrooms everywhere and they don’t care if you’re a customer or not. It’s a bit different here so we’re trying to be prepared for the change because while we’re out sightseeing we will likely need bathroom breaks. I don’t mind paying a small fee for the bathroom though. I’ve heard that London tips 10% but I haven’t researched Spain or our other ports. I like the idea of not tipping. Here in America even if they’re paid well they still want a tip. The tipping situation is out of hand. Thanks for the info on the card I'll look into it. 

• Like 1

Not all counties in Europe use the Euro. There are seven in the EU plus the United Kingdom that use their own currency. This is important for restrooms. We were in Sweden at the Stockholm Central Station and the unisex pay restroom was 1 Swedish Krona but 2 Euro. Using the Euro cost about ten times more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Not all counties in Europe use the Euro. There are seven in the EU plus the United Kingdom that use their own currency. This is important for restrooms. We were in Sweden at the Stockholm Central Station and the unisex pay restroom was 1 Swedish Krona but 2 Euro. Using the Euro cost about ten times more.

Really? That’s crazy. It’s good to know, thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinqt said:

Really? That’s crazy. It’s good to know, thanks. 

Crazier was Montenegro not in the EU but using the Euro for currency and until just January 2023 Croatia in the EU but still used their own Kuna for currency. We carry a small amount of Euros and if we don't spend them save them our next trip. Still have 50 Euro from last years trip but will use them in September.

10 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Crazier was Montenegro not in the EU but using the Euro for currency and until just January 2023 Croatia in the EU but still used their own Kuna for currency. We carry a small amount of Euros and if we don't spend them save them our next trip. Still have 50 Euro from last years trip but will use them in September.

That’s a good idea to just save what you don’t use. I’ll keep that in mind. 

• 3 months later...