Tahiti and Hawaii

rollie

We were looking to doing Tahiti and Hawaii round trip from the west coast.  We would have preferred to do this cruise with Celebrity, but it isn't offered.  HAL does this cruise as a  35 day round trip from San Diego.  We don't like flying overseas anymore and the super long flight to the South Pacific is just too much for us.  So we will take the long relaxing cruise and enjoy HAL.  I really think Celebrity is missing the boat [so to speak] by not offering a cruise like this.

Rollie

• Like 3

I'd love for Celebrity to offer this.  Was booked on Viking but due to Covid restrictions they replaced Hawaii with Mexico for the sailing we were booked on, so we regretfully cancelled.  

We  have also looked at this HAL sailing.  We have opted for Windstar from Auckland to Tahiti as there were still some things we wanted to do on our own in NZ as well.

Edited by wrk2cruise

2 hours ago, rollie said:

We were looking to doing Tahiti and Hawaii round trip from the west coast.  We would have preferred to do this cruise with Celebrity, but it isn't offered.  HAL does this cruise as a  35 day round trip from San Diego.  We don't like flying overseas anymore and the super long flight to the South Pacific is just too much for us.  So we will take the long relaxing cruise and enjoy HAL.  I really think Celebrity is missing the boat [so to speak] by not offering a cruise like this.

Rollie

We did this cruise several years ago on our one and only HAL (Westerdam) cruise and loved it!

They had a bridge director who gave lessons in the mornings and we played bridge in the afternoons so kept busy on sea days.  Envy you!!

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Princess does it twice a year from LA, once in the spring and once in the fall.

I booked this. I'd have preferred to be on X, but they don't offer it.

That being said, cruise lines all have their specific itineraries...I'll still sail X when I can.

• Like 1

We did this routing round trip from LA, with Princess in Feb 2020 (just before Covid really hit!)
It was a 28 day cruise, we had a slight schedule change as Samoa stopped letting ships in due to Covid. We ended up with 5 Hawaii stops, Tahiti (overnight), Moorea and Bora Bora (overnight). It was a fantastic trip. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, debsjc said:

We did this routing round trip from LA, with Princess in Feb 2020 (just before Covid really hit!)
It was a 28 day cruise, we had a slight schedule change as Samoa stopped letting ships in due to Covid. We ended up with 5 Hawaii stops, Tahiti (overnight), Moorea and Bora Bora (overnight). It was a fantastic trip. 

Everyone I have spoken to who has done this has said it was the best, or at least one of the best, cruises they've ever done.

We sail end of Oct...can't wait...

• Like 1

Just now, alyssamma said:

Everyone I have spoken to who has done this has said it was the best, or at least one of the best, cruises they've ever done.

We sail end of Oct...can't wait...

It really is. If you have an overnight in Moorea or Bora Bora, I would consider staying in a nice hotel. I was reluctant to spend more money, but the memories were worth every penny. 
I can't compare Princess to Celebrity, as out first Celebrity cruise is in a couple of weeks, but Princess were very good on that cruise. 

• Like 1

Just now, debsjc said:

It really is. If you have an overnight in Moorea or Bora Bora, I would consider staying in a nice hotel. I was reluctant to spend more money, but the memories were worth every penny. 
I can't compare Princess to Celebrity, as out first Celebrity cruise is in a couple of weeks, but Princess were very good on that cruise. 

Unfortunately they can no longer sail to Bora Bora because of regulations. Fiji has been substituted, so still Tahiti (2 ports) and now Fiji (2 ports)...no overnights (well, Papetee is until 4am or so).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Princess does it twice a year from LA, once in the spring and once in the fall.

I've booked this as well for next April.  I love the idea of going RT from California.   I definitely would have wished Celebrity would offer something similar.  I've sailed on both Princess and Celebrity numerous times and didn't hesitate to book Princess.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

I've booked this as well for next April.  I love the idea of going RT from California.   I definitely would have wished Celebrity would offer something similar.  I've sailed on both Princess and Celebrity numerous times and didn't hesitate to book Princess.

Us too. After doing two 16+ hour flights since December as well as two upcoming 14+ hour flights in July, this 4-5 week cruise out of LA looks awfully good right now! 😂

• Like 1

I don’t think a 35 day round trip from LA would draw Celebrity’s target demographic.  I’m sure they could make much more on shorter cruises.  The round trip lengthy cruises really attract the Seniors and infirm that don’t want to fly.    We were originally booked on the HAL itinerary but switched to Celebrity Trans Pacific instead.  Breaking up the Australia Flight with time in Hawaii.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I don’t think a 35 day round trip from LA would draw Celebrity’s target demographic.  I’m sure they could make much more on shorter cruises.  The round trip lengthy cruises really attract the Seniors and infirm that don’t want to fly.    We were originally booked on the HAL itinerary but switched to Celebrity Trans Pacific instead.  Breaking up the Australia Flight with time in Hawaii.  

I'm working on breaking up that stereotype that only seniors and the infirm don't want to fly are interested in 30+ day cruises.  I'm in my early 50s and in good health.   Just the 9 hr flight back to ATL from Barcelona wasn't fun, doing 15+ hours on a plane... yuck!!!   More cruising ... less time on an airplane... sounds like a win win to me.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

I'm working on breaking up that stereotype that only seniors and the infirm don't want to fly are interested in 30+ day cruises.  I'm in my early 50s and in good health.   Just the 9 hr flight back to ATL from Barcelona wasn't fun, doing 15+ hours on a plane... yuck!!!   More cruising ... less time on an airplane... sounds like a win win to me.

Ditto...mid 50's for me and I'm on that cruise and taking a 21 day in July also...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Texed said:

If I were doing a French Polynesian cruise I would pick a small ship that can enter the lagoons.  😊

Great, please send me a check so I can fly to Tahiti to take one of these small cruises.

18 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

I agree with you but the majority will not be in their 50s.  

When we took this cruise I was in my 40's and the majority of people were younger than retirement age. To be fair, I also expected an older crowd, but that wasn't the case. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Personally, I'm 70 and glad Celebrity doesn't offer longer itineraries. Can you imagine if you were Elite+ trying to stretch those 2 free laundry bags per person over a 35 day "single leg" Celebrity cruise? It took quite the planning for us to stretch our 2 free bags each on our recent Sydney to Honolulu 18-day leg! 🤣

• Haha 2

Just booked Viking Ocean 32 night LA-Hawaii-Bora Bora-Moorea-Tahiti-Marquesas Isles-SD-LA.  Originally looked at Jan '24 sailing but Memorial Day sale prompted us to switch to 11/10/23.  Promo code is MDS23 and includes price break + stateroom upgrade + free air + bev pkg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just booked Viking Ocean 32 night LA-Hawaii-Bora Bora-Moorea-Tahiti-Marquesas Isles-SD-LA.  Originally looked at Jan '24 sailing but Memorial Day sale prompted us to switch to 11/10/23.  Promo code is MDS23 and includes price break + stateroom upgrade + free air + bev pkg.

Interested, but no ship name or price/category...but I can research it!  No more long air for us either!  We’re done!