Cruise cancelled, replaced by charter!

fudge

On 6/1/2023 at 9:14 AM, Tothesunset said:

No it doesn't. It's very short-sighted to annoy regular customers for a one-off charter. 

Mind you, it's better than getting on board and finding yourself stuck with hundreds of drunken insurance sales staff (or whatever). 

If I have to be stuck on a ship with a group of drunken people, I'd prefer the insurance sales staff. At least I'd know where to make a claim if one of them knocked me over.

• Haha 3

On 6/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, Tothesunset said:

No it doesn't. It's very short-sighted to annoy regular customers for a one-off charter.

Operations that do charters rarely do so only once.  It's hard business to turn down.

On 6/7/2023 at 2:48 AM, commodoredave said:

If I have to be stuck on a ship with a group of drunken people, I'd prefer the insurance sales staff. At least I'd know where to make a claim if one of them knocked me over.

I don’t know why so many of you think charters will be full of drunks and loudmouths?  I’ve been on a charter, which was booked by an Australian travel group and sold to ordinary people.  Other charters are for special music or film events.  The passengers, if a one-company charter, might be all very well behaved people used to luxury travel.  

The only possible negative of being on a ship that is a partial charter (only a number of suites booked) might be less mixing with a group who already know each other. But  that might not happen, and there are other passengers on board.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I don’t know why so many of you think charters will be full of drunks and loudmouths?

I don't, but just like the bad rep that company Christmas parties have achieved over the years (and most of them are totally tame), the group cruise suffers similarly for the same reasons.  All it takes is a few weird ones to make it a meme.

• Like 1

Whilst I would like to agree with Port Power in not labelling everyone with an ' Avoid ' tag, a disticntion must be drawn between a Charter Group and an Incentive Charter Group. I have unfortunately experienced the Latter on 2 Occasions and one gets a little tired of the Drinking By the Pool at 8.30am and the Chucking of Bread Rolls across the Dining Room. Whilst I am sure The Line earns well from such a Group the usual Silversea Guest may be reluctant to return.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 10:37 PM, Port Power said:

I don’t know why so many of you think charters will be full of drunks and loudmouths?  I’ve been on a charter, which was booked by an Australian travel group and sold to ordinary people.  Other charters are for special music or film events.  The passengers, if a one-company charter, might be all very well behaved people used to luxury travel.  

The only possible negative of being on a ship that is a partial charter (only a number of suites booked) might be less mixing with a group who already know each other. But  that might not happen, and there are other passengers on board.

The thing that bothers Mrs Banjo and myself about being on the ship with a charter group is that many times the group will take over public venues and make them private.  So, in effect, you are denied use of, or are excluded from venues and sometimes activities aboard.  There is definitely a feeling of being left out.  Now that may be imaginary, but that is how we felt, and why we try to avoid trips with large charter groups.

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

The thing that bothers Mrs Banjo and myself about being on the ship with a charter group is that many times the group will take over public venues and make them private.  So, in effect, you are denied use of, or are excluded from venues and sometimes activities aboard.  There is definitely a feeling of being left out.  Now that may be imaginary, but that is how we felt, and why we try to avoid trips with large charter groups.

The advantage to that though is that it contains the enemy in one place leaving other venues free of them. I Think the Police refer to this tactic as kettling. 

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 4:33 AM, crusinbanjo said:

That’s what happened on our Moon cruise last Fall.  There was a large group of attorneys who would take over the Observation Lounge or Panorama Lounge at the primo time we were hoping to enjoy those venues.  The group was loud and obnoxious.  They also booked up the spa on sea days so it was very difficult to book treatments and they packed the gym every morning.  It was no surprise that by the end of the cruise most of them we’re wearing masks due to a Covid outbreak amongst their group.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 7:33 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Many years ago I won a spot on our company's annual awards program, which that year was a Caribbean cruise with Princess. The issue was not the behaviour of my fellow employees, but rather some of their spouses. In fact, one of them had to be put off the ship in St. Thomas for starting a brawl while very intoxicated. After that experience I have done my best to avoid large groups that charter a ship.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, fudge said:

I am surprised no other person on that cancelled cruise has chimed in

Our Dawn cruise from Barcelona to Rome immediately after yours has just today been cancelled.  The email states this was "Due to unforeseen logistical and operational changes..."  

I think we received basically the same offer you did.  I feel what was missing was an offer to rebook a similar cruise for the same price as shown on our so-called "Confirmation".

We booked directly with Silversea.  I have sent them an email requesting a quotation for a similar cruise in the same area.  In our case the trip is not time constrained as was yours.

25 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Our Dawn cruise from Barcelona to Rome immediately after yours has just today been cancelled.  The email states this was "Due to unforeseen logistical and operational changes..."  

I think we received basically the same offer you did.  I feel what was missing was an offer to rebook a similar cruise for the same price as shown on our so-called "Confirmation".

We booked directly with Silversea.  I have sent them an email requesting a quotation for a similar cruise in the same area.  In our case the trip is not time constrained as was yours.

If I had a cruise booked for April next year, I would have also have booked my flights by now.  Is Silversea refunding the $500-$800 airline cancellation or change fee?

Edited by Port Power

53 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Is Silversea refunding the $500-$800 airline cancellation or change fee?

Relevant quote from the email is below:

*For those guests with independent air arrangements, Silversea will reimburse costs of up to USD 500 per guest for any change, cancellation, or differential air travel fees. To request an adjustment, guests should email receipts to guestrelations@silversea.com. Refunds and claims will be reviewed and processed within 30 days of receipt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’m on the one that leaves Lisbon on May 2 to Southampton, so that appears it will be back in service? Any thoughts on what that could mean. Someone on FB mentioned some wine group charter for our cruise(they have not responded to my request for further clarification, but it would probably be reasonable since we have 3 days in Bordeaux region) . I assume it is a partial charter, at least I hope. guess will wait to see if this “charter” or “dry dock iS extended to our cruise. 

1 hour ago, bobolz said:

So I’m on the one that leaves Lisbon on May 2 to Southampton, so that appears it will be back in service? Any thoughts on what that could mean. Someone on FB mentioned some wine group charter for our cruise(they have not responded to my request for further clarification, but it would probably be reasonable since we have 3 days in Bordeaux region) . I assume it is a partial charter, at least I hope. guess will wait to see if this “charter” or “dry dock iS extended to our cruise. 

This made me curious, because I had tried to book your May 2nd voyage while the Suite Upgrade promotion was in effect, but availability suddenly became more limited and the solo supplement shot up to 75%.   It looks like an agency that specializes in wine tours has reserved a block of cabins on this voyage and will host some private events for their group. 

5 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

This made me curious, because I had tried to book your May 2nd voyage while the Suite Upgrade promotion was in effect, but availability suddenly became more limited and the solo supplement shot up to 75%.   It looks like an agency that specializes in wine tours has reserved a block of cabins on this voyage and will host some private events for their group. 

Hi Dolce

how do you know about the block of rooms  for this wine tour co and them scheduling private events? Did you actually speak with someone? I noticed the prices increased since I booked on board almost a year ago. I’m wondering if this group would pose a problem with availability on certain tours or difficulty getting into certain dining venues . I noticed that some of the excursions changed as well. Including our stop in Saint Malo(sp?) 

1 minute ago, bobolz said:

Hi Dolce

how do you know about the block of rooms  for this wine tour co and them scheduling private events? Did you actually speak with someone? I noticed the prices increased since I booked on board almost a year ago. I’m wondering if this group would pose a problem with availability on certain tours or difficulty getting into certain dining venues . I noticed that some of the excursions changed as well. Including our stop in Saint Malo(sp?) 

I have not spoken to anyone; just did a Google search for "wine cruise, May 2024 and Silversea", which turned up the link.   The private events they will host are listed on the agency's promotional site for this group.  Don't know anything further than that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I have not spoken to anyone; just did a Google search for "wine cruise, May 2024 and Silversea", which turned up the link.   The private events they will host are listed on the agency's promotional site for this group.  Don't know anything further than that. 

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

• Like 1

Yep here it is. https://www.foodandwinetrails.com/cruises/duckhorn2024/

well it looks like a nice tour operator, looks like they would not have us deviating from our current itinerary. Now it’s just a matter of will this cause 

Us problems with gaining access to certain venues and tours, I guess a lot will depend on  how many people sign up with them to take this cruise and will that limit the # of buses and excursions if they get priority. It looks like  a TA that specializes in wine tours and partner with various cruises traveling to those regions. Wondering  If most of their  clients  select their own tours independently or if they all go on  same tour with their host . I only saw a couple of organized tours for the group.

anyone have any opinions or experience with this company or similar  tour company reserving rooms for their clients? 

thanks in advance 

Edited by bobolz

The wine group is not the reason fro the changes to the schedule. I am member of that wine club; they announced the dates for the 2024 cruise in March of this year -- long before the schedule changes began. 

I know many people are nervous about groups on board.  I have traveled with this group in the past: it's likely not to be more than 70 people and most passengers I met outside the group did not even know we were there.  For SS tours we never went as a group so we never impacted the seating or buses for that (obviously many of us would independently choose wine tours).  As for spaces we did "take over" a couple of venues, mostly when they would have been closed anyway; for example, we had an event one afternoon in SALT Kitchen.  There is a group dinner which ofc necessitates the closing of one dinner venue, one evening.  I hope this eases any fears about the wine group being onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobolz said:

well it looks like a nice tour operator, looks like they would not have us deviating from our current itinerary. Now it’s just a matter of will this cause 

Us problems with gaining access to certain venues and tours, I guess a lot will depend on  how many people sign up with them to take this cruise and will that limit the # of buses and excursions if they get priority. It looks like  a TA that specializes in wine tours and partner with various cruises traveling to those regions. Wondering  If most of their  clients  select their own tours independently or if they all go on  same tour with their host . I only saw a couple of organized tours for the group.

anyone have any opinions or experience with this company or similar  tour company reserving rooms for their clients? 

thanks in advance 

That’s the one I found; was not sure if posting their information would be allowed here. 

4 hours ago, bobolz said:

thanks in advance 

On the Dawn Norwegian cruise where I booked as a "partial charter", all passengers on our tour will just book shore excursions the same as any other passenger.  The only difference is that one of our tour leaders will also go on one of the tours as well, although just as another passenger.  So no different than if all passengers were from independent bookings.  We all make our own dining arrangements the same as other passengers.  However, La Dame has been booked one night for the lot of us, and there is a cocktail party another night.  There are no separate tours booked as a group.  Therefore the "partial charter" will not impact on other cruisers any more than a normally full ship would. 

Of course, we are all perfectly well behaved, seasoned travellers who do not drink and do not party.

🤣  Well, we are seasoned travellers. 😊

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:17 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

That’s what happened on our Moon cruise last Fall.  There was a large group of attorneys who would take over the Observation Lounge or Panorama Lounge at the primo time we were hoping to enjoy those venues.  The group was loud and obnoxious.  They also booked up the spa on sea days so it was very difficult to book treatments and they packed the gym every morning.  It was no surprise that by the end of the cruise most of them we’re wearing masks due to a Covid outbreak amongst their group.

What on earth is ‘primo’ time. I’ve tried Google translate and it hadn’t a clue.

• Haha 1