Timing massages and lunch on embarkation day

Hi there,

We're finally seriously planning for our first time on the Mariner of the Seas, Nov 6, out of Port Canaveral. Two girlfriends and I are sharing a suite, and hoping to get massages right when we embark, then do Jamie's Italian lunch, before Sail Away. I'd love someone's experienced sense of timing, for when would be best for the massage and lunch reservations? 

I held off replying as I don't have personal experience with this.  But will offer my thoughts for what it's worth, based on what I have seen before and what my upcoming cruise is showing for availability. I think it will be tough to do the massages before lunch, as you will be counting on getting an early embarkation time, and the lunch hours on embarkation day aren't typically very long (for example, maybe 12-2).  On my upcoming cruise the earliest available time slot for a massage is 12:00.  By the time you get in there, out again, changed etc, they recommend allowing 1 hour 15 minutes for a 50 minute massage. The last booking time for lunch is 1:30.  So it may be possible assuming that you have an early enough embarkation time, but it will be rushed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KiwiGal117 said:

I held off replying as I don't have personal experience with this.  But will offer my thoughts for what it's worth, based on what I have seen before and what my upcoming cruise is showing for availability. I think it will be tough to do the massages before lunch, as you will be counting on getting an early embarkation time, and the lunch hours on embarkation day aren't typically very long (for example, maybe 12-2).  On my upcoming cruise the earliest available time slot for a massage is 12:00.  By the time you get in there, out again, changed etc, they recommend allowing 1 hour 15 minutes for a 50 minute massage. The last booking time for lunch is 1:30.  So it may be possible assuming that you have an early enough embarkation time, but it will be rushed.

How late do they offer massages though (I'm surprised they offer any on embarkation day)?  Do lunch first, then the massage. 

I agree with the above response, you’re going to be rushed. Make other plans.

Once I booked a pedicure on embarkation day. Trying to do that and eat lunch was stressful. Just not enough time unless perhaps you have the massages at a later time that day. Plus you don’t really know what time you will actually get on the ship. Your check in time and the time you actually get on the ship could vary.

20 hours ago, colmenares3 said:

Hi there,

We're finally seriously planning for our first time on the Mariner of the Seas, Nov 6, out of Port Canaveral. Two girlfriends and I are sharing a suite, and hoping to get massages right when we embark, then do Jamie's Italian lunch, before Sail Away. I'd love someone's experienced sense of timing, for when would be best for the massage and lunch reservations? 

I enjoy getting a massage on embarkation day. It really is a perfect way to start your cruise. My advice is to book it for after the ship leaves port because the announcements are broadcast in the treatment rooms. There are lots of announcements and reminders made throughout the day. Definitely do not book it within the hour before leaving port because the emergency horn, seven short blasts followed by one long blast will disrupt a relaxing massage. After much trial and error, I have found that after sail away or late evening can be the most enjoyable time for an embarkation day massage. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the reminders not to overschedule, and that embarkation day is already busy. We're just doing lunch (1:15) and will either do massages on a sea day, or at WDW beforehand!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

How late do they offer massages though (I'm surprised they offer any on embarkation day)?  Do lunch first, then the massage. 

It seems they offer them from noon onwards, into the evening.  Any opportunity to squeeze some more revenue!!!

• Like 1

DW does this on every single cruise but she does it in the reverse order you are planning.  We book and eat lunch at whatever specialty restaurant that is open on embarkation day and then she plans a massage at 2:45.  The timing works perfectly.  She is wrapped up with the massage and able to shower and change in time for sail-away.  Dinner follows shortly thereafter.  The admonitions to not over plan are good but this isn't to much if done the way DW has done many times.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I made a cruise planner reservation for an embarkation day spa treatment on Odyssey (5/18 sailing) for a certain time, but when I showed up, it had loaded in their system for a totally different time that day.  It wasn't a time zone issue or a ship's time/non-ship's time issue; they admitted that it was a recurring technical glitch between the spa and cruise planner that they see on embarkation day from time to time.  They didn't have a technician available at my real appointment time, and, because I had made other plans in a carefully-scheduled embarkation day, I couldn't accommodate the random time showing in their system.  Worse than not receiving any sort of apology for the situation, over the next few days it also took 3 conversations with the manager to get a refund.  

tl;dr, from disappointing personal experience, I'd strongly advise against booking embarkation day spa treatments ahead of time. 

2 hours ago, seasidemama said:

I've never seen specialty lunch available on boarding day. Have Oasis and Anthem booked currently (as far out as January) and lunch options only start on day 2. Is there a trick to this?  Thanks!

I book specialty lunch on embarkation day on every cruise.  I'm sure its just a glitch on your cruise.  Check every restaurant that offer a lunch.  There is usually only one open. 

6 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Get a massage in town prior to heading to the ship.

I was going to suggest something similar.  You and your friends will arrive a day ahead of sailing, right?  So schedule a first-thing-in-the-morning massage ... then board the ship and enjoy your lunch.  You'll spend less, so schedule a second massage on the beach at one of your island stops!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slyster said:

Are there usually sale prices associated with embarkation day?  for massages?  

Yes. On my sailings, I have purchased the 50-minute Swedish massage for $103 plus gratuity. I usually book the appointment for after sail away. 

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes, DW noticed that the lowest prices of the week are usually found on Embarkation day.

ok good to know. I didn’t realize that. Thanks!

It varies.  I've got embarkation lunch available all the way out to Dec 2024 but for Spa stuff next Feb is the earliest.  That being said, for some strange reason my specialty dining for a Feb 2024 cruise on Adventure still has no specialty dining.  

10 hours ago, 4everAfamily said:

Yes. On my sailings, I have purchased the 50-minute Swedish massage for $103 plus gratuity. I usually book the appointment for after sail away. 

I see in my cruise planner $103.99 for a 50 min Swedish massage.  I’m also hoping to use a diamond discount on our massages too.  

Edited to add:  I just double checked and it seems only day 1 is $103.99.  The other days are $148.99 a day.  I’m glad I saw your post.

Edited by slyster
  • Like 1