A Seabourn newbie sails Ovation, Norway and the North Cape, June 11 2023

jondfk

7 hours ago, jondfk said:

The Colonnade was quite full with a queue back to the entrance when we arrived, we passed by and secured a couple of high stools near the exit aft.  As I have written prior DW doesn’t  do buffets, when we must, I provide collection service which was basically impossible today, instead we ordered off the daily menu, the wait for which was a bit long, but not unreasonable under the circumstances, the food itself was okay.  Our server had his hands full, but a great attitude. Overall Colonnade was a success though surely not at its best.

We went straight out to the Colonnade Patio and there were many tables available for the entire time we were dining.  We also ordered from the menu and had a leisurely lunch with great service.  It did take a few minutes for the meal to arrive--but nothing too extreme.  When we left, we noticed that the indoor area of the Colonnade was really jammed.  I did not understand why more did not dine outdoors.  It was a bit cool, but comfortable.  Afterwards we walked across the pool deck area and it was warm and sunny with people dining there as well.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, jondfk said:

I would estimate there were about 300 people in the terminal when we arrived, boarding started about 12:20.  The Colonnade was quite full with a queue back to the entrance when we arrived,

And this is why I am in no hurry to board early as so many seem to want to be there by noon or earlier. At times we have dropped off our bags at the terminal is full so we head off for lunch or or I find a gallery or museum nearby to explore. When we board in ~ 2 hours late all is calm and no queues. But this is my modus operandi and I understand others have a different style.

• Like 3

I think we all have our favourite ways of arriving - ours was to be able to board around noon, which usually happened,  have the carryon bags  looked after in a side room at the Colonnade, and as it was usually somewhere sunny and warm, have a couple of white wines sitting outside,  followed by a slow lunch until the suite was ready.  Just something to look forward to, and mostly not too rushed or busy.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, frantic36 said:

And this is why I am in no hurry to board early as so many seem to want to be there by noon or earlier. At times we have dropped off our bags at the terminal is full so we head off for lunch or or I find a gallery or museum nearby to explore. When we board in ~ 2 hours late all is calm and no queues. But this is my modus operandi and I understand others have a different style.

Very wise Julie.

I think we know why people want to arrive well before their boarding time.

Food and booze in the Colonnade is the answer.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Very wise Julie.

I think we know why people want to arrive well before their boarding time.

Food and booze in the Colonnade is the answer.😀

@Mr Luxury, can we add food and booze at the Patio as an answer!  That is where we go - gotta get to know those bartenders first thing!

• Haha 2

it's not just the food and booze,  Mr.L!  I know you dislike buffets, but I actually like the Colonnade when you can sit outside in lovely weather, often during the cruise with attractive scenery, since apart from occasionally ,like now, it is not often you can do that at home.  It is not nearly as enjoyable indoors, I grant you.  And you don't need to go near the buffet at all, just order from the waiter.

• Like 6

I’m really enjoying this thread and SLSD’s thread. Thank you!

I have a question about embarkation day.  I’ve only sailed on Ovation once before (2021-Mediterranean) and had no experience with the first day routine.  We boarded as assigned, around 3:00 p.m.  Check-In was seamless and our luggage was in our suite when we arrived.  Our room attendant showed up shortly and offered several suggestions for stocking our suite with beverages.  We were unsure of what we wanted and she encouraged upgraded brands. By the time we were ready to find lunch, everything was closed until dinner. We were clueless about the schedule. We were fine because we got great appetizers in a bar.

We are sailing SB again in October. Could anyone please post what time the Colonnade and Patio Grill close on embarkation day.  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, lincslady said:

it's not just the food and booze,  Mr.L!  I know you dislike buffets, but I actually like the Colonnade when you can sit outside in lovely weather, often during the cruise with attractive scenery, since apart from occasionally ,like now, it is not often you can do that at home.  It is not nearly as enjoyable indoors, I grant you.  And you don't need to go near the buffet at all, just order from the waiter.

We try to never dine indoors in the Colonnade.  And we never go through the buffet line.  I guess I should never say never--but on a 23 day cruise we never went through the line one single time.  I enjoy dining outdoors at the Colonnade---and from the menu only.  

I understand why some people prefer to avoid the buffet in the Colonnade, but I find you miss out on a lot by doing so. For lunch, the meat (or fish) they are carving is often quite good, as are some of the daily pastas, and we enjoy getting a caesar salad (not TK Grille level 😉, but still made-to-order) — and none of those involve touching any serving utensils used by other guests. Even with a completely full ship (as was the case a week ago on Sojourn), the line is almost never long or slow moving.

Eating outdoors, sipping wine or a cold beer just can't be beat. And it seems even just a little better on embarkation day (unless the ship is in a heavy industrial port, or it's cold/rainy) while adjusting from travel hustle to shipboard relaxing mode, 😀

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I understand why some people prefer to avoid the buffet in the Colonnade, but I find you miss out on a lot by doing so. For lunch, the meat (or fish) they are carving is often quite good, as are some of the daily pastas, and we enjoy getting a caesar salad (not TK Grille level 😉, but still made-to-order) — and none of those involve touching any serving utensils used by other guests. Even with a completely full ship (as was the case a week ago on Sojourn), the line is almost never long or slow moving.

Eating outdoors, sipping wine or a cold beer just can't be beat. And it seems even just a little better on embarkation day (unless the ship is in a heavy industrial port, or it's cold/rainy) while adjusting from travel hustle to shipboard relaxing mode, 😀

Buffets have always grossed me out.  It's partially visual--seeing so many people getting food.  It seems so unsanitary to me.  I know full well that there germs and bacteria everywhere, but it is so obvious at a buffet.  I don't like to see how others handle the utensils etc.  In addition, I like a curated menu, not a plethora of unrelated items.  I can handle a smaller buffet with fewer people if I have to without an issue.  I could go through a buffet on the pool deck without a lot of people around.  It's buffets on the scale of the Colonnade that are not appealing to me.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I like a curated menu, not a plethora of unrelated items. 

I love a plethora of unrelated items.  It's fun to scout them out, perhaps be tempted to try something you would not otherwise try off a menu, when you can actually see it first.  And with a buffet you can sample multiple dishes in one meal. 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

It seems so unsanitary to me.

On all my cruises on Seabourn as well as on other lux lines, I've eaten many hundreds of buffet meals and have never had any gastrointestinal issues.  To put it into perspective, the number of times that I've fallen off the ship into the high seas equals the number of times that I've gotten sick from a buffet. 

Thank you so much for your (and jondfk's) running commentary on this cruise.  I'm very happy that you're back cruising again!

Edited by skybluewaters
  • Like 9

Well, here’s todays update.

First, regarding dinner last night, I can’t speak highly enough, everything, service, food and ambiance was perfect.  Well, not quite true, I didn’t care for the red wine, a Shiraz, but this was instantly exchanged for a more pleasant Cab.  I’m no real challenge in this regard, there’s always something I’ll drink, but I’m not shy about asking for something different.

This was followed by the first full nights sleep since leaving home, fabulous.

This morning our fridge had gone on the fritz it took three calls for a replacement, but it has now been swapped so my meds are no longer 59*.  The rest of our minibar request arrived slightly later.

We spent much of the day in the Retreat, there are 15 cabanas and I’d read that the area was little used, and indeed this ultimately may prove true for our port intensive cruise.  Today however 11 of the 15 cabanas were booked keeping the small staff hopping all day.  We ventured down to the restaurant for lunch joining about 100 others for a lovely light meal, our server told us that the prior sailing was the first to feature lunch on a daily basis, this looks to be true for us as well as the day 3 Herald has hours for the venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner, JOY!

• Like 7

Some may have noticed I posted the proceeding the second morning, lost track of time to get it out before we had to leave the room to meet the captain, well actually to see him introduced at his cocktail party, a heavily attended event we joined in the Obs bar, the usual introductions were made to a packed house.  This all put us a bit late to dinner, but we still found space in the section of our favorite server (Miguel from Portugal), far busier than the first night but Mrs loved the lobster and I the veal tenderloin.  Again the red wine disappointed but after a longer than usual cocktail hour I took this as a sign to hit pause.

Another superb nights sleep though we couldn’t manage to get the hallway foot lamp into automatic so it glowed all night, a bit of reeducation from the steward today….

We have ordered a light breakfast in today, this is something we never did in our first 30 or so cruises.  We used the butler provided on Oceania to good effect when we sailed last year so decided to get the SB take as well.

Woke up a bit earlier today and hit the Obs bar about 5:30 what a joy to find coffee ready well before the official 6:00 opening.  The coffee is good too, okay not the same as fresh made in the Square but early morning I’m more interested in ready than perfect.

Thats all for now, I’ll report again “tomorrow”.

• Like 6

Thanks for your commentary, my wife and I are enjoying hearing your perspectives.

When you have a chance, perhaps you can comment about the drinking water. We embark in Reykjavik in 47 days (just checked Source for that tidbit). This will be our 6th Seabourn cruise but the first since they stopped using regular bottled water in large and small sizes. 
Thanks.

• Like 1

Regarding the water onboard, please understand we are not particularly discriminating in this regard, we’ve found the bottled water in the room perfectly drinkable.  The bottles don’t have any sort of seal aside from plastic on glass, some certainly do leak, one quite freely.  Haven’t used the small bottle yet but I expect similar challenges.  Knowing this we bought a collapsible bottle from Amazon before departure, this works fine, but it’s “collapsible” nature means it has little structural integrity, it doesn’t leak per se but if filled to the top you’ll inevitably squeeze a bit out when the lid is removed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day three, Ålesund Norway.  A lovely day in a charming city.  Ovation tied up more or less center of town for a stay that lasted until 10PM.  We took a stroll around town, did a bit of shopping and returned for a very quiet late lunch in the Retreat.

Evening brought a far quieter cocktail in Observation, we’ve reached that point now where the bartenders start to anticipate our orders, and we are developing preferences for who does what best.  Our favorite, hands down, is William though I confess we’ve used neither of the poolside bartenders (yet) so perhaps the race shouldn’t be called just yet.

We had our first real fail at dinner last evening Mrs ordered the steak with béarnaise sauce, which I had and loved on night one, the plate however was blazing hot resulting in the sauce breaking almost instantly creating a lumpy pool which covered the plate.  Replacement sauce was delivered  on the side but the dish was spoiled by the initial failure.  Really, we should have asked for a fresh plate, or a replating of the original, next time…

Perhaps a few words around room service breakfast which we enjoyed yesterday.  Delivered precisely on time, and precisely according to our order form.  Quality, good by room service standards though no meal with wheels is ever as good as one straight from the kitchen.

Weather again spectacular though this morning of day 4 the wind has a bit of a bite, suspecting the shorts have to go for a few days.

• Like 5

A chilly day sailing north towards the cape.  We braved the Retreat for a few hours, a shock to the system after a number of very pleasant days, huddled now on Observation watching the sea, anticipating lunch.

Perhaps a few words about wine in the meanwhile.  I’m no oenophile but do enjoy a variety of wines and regions.  That said, I’ve been disappointed with all of the daily reds which have been largely Spanish (who make some great wines no doubt).  The second choice is reliably better but still not great.  Whites have been more varied from Austria and elsewhere in Europe, several have been very serviceable though none that I need to remember for home.

There seems to be no list available though wines you enjoyed previously are poured again without complaint, though with a slight delay while retrieved.  Somehow I expect to identify a favorite on the last evening when I’ll have no further opportunity to enjoy.  I wonder whether this is usual for Seabourn?  Meaning keeping the included wines under wraps?  

it’s no doubt easier to push a single red and white each day, but I for one would prefer a list of what’s on offer.  I promised not to excessively compare SB to Oceania but in this regard Oceania are miles ahead, the wines by the glass are listed every day and the full list is always ready at hand, score one to Oceania (though I note that none of their wine is included in the base fare).

• Like 1

@jondfk it is possible to get the list but you need to know who to ask. We got ours from the hotel manager but possibly the Head Sommelier might have access to it??

I had the same issue with Regent on our first cruise with them - it was the most closely guarded secret on the ship 😂😂

Sounds like you are having a great time though.

Edited by Techno123

14 minutes ago, jondfk said:

it’s no doubt easier to push a single red and white each day, but I for one would prefer a list of what’s on offer.  I promised not to excessively compare SB to Oceania but in this regard Oceania are miles ahead, the wines by the glass are listed every day and the full list is always ready at hand, score one to Oceania (though I note that none of their wine is included in the base fare).

I think you can ask for an included wine list at Seabourn Square, or from the people mentioned above.  You might also ask the Restaurant manager.   I've seen the lists in the past--so they do exist.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I think you can ask for an included wine list at Seabourn Square, or from the people mentioned above.  You might also ask the Restaurant manager.   I've seen the lists in the past--so they do exist.  

One of the assistant managers is our host in the Retreat, I’ll start there and work out.  I’m probably a bit too passive, I asked my waiter, was told there wasn’t one, and stopped there.  This is where actual experience is worth gold, knowing the first answer isn’t the last word.  Experience helps!

Then again, what’s the logic behind keeping such secrets?  Hmmm.  

and yes Techno123 we are indeed having a lovely time.

• Like 1

@jondfk I think the issue with any printed list is that the things itemised are constantly changing - what they can procure, how much of a particular wine is drunk (or left over - maybe only a small number of bottles) so if they give a list to everyone people could be 'annoyed' if their chosen wine is not available so it is only given to those who ask with a caveat that the wines on it might not be available.

I know what I like but am also willing to try new things - if you can access a properly trained sommelier rather than just the wine pourer, they will often give you some suggestions to go with what you are eating off the 'included' list. Ours recommended a Pinot Noir with Seabass and it went perfectly.

On a recent Regent cruise, there were a small number of bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape available but not enough for a restaurant full of people so we were given the bottle to 'try' with our steak and as we approved it was left on the table 😂

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

As it happens the restaurant manager made a lengthy stop to say hello as we were finishing up lunch.  We had a ranging discussion which included the reintroduction of daily lunch, towards the end I expressed my surprise as how wines are handled, his explanation was that SB have more or less given up procuring from their historic vendors as they cannot reliably deliver at the moment.  Therefore they have shifted to much more local port by port procurement which means they buy what’s available where they are, and in far smaller volumes, than might be normal.  This all makes sense (though I’m in the number who see “supply chain” as more excuse than reality these days).  He further explained the day to day changes makes maintaining a list challenging.  Still, he took the feedback well and promised to supply something for a baseline reference, it was understood that this could be changeable as supplies run out on particular favorites.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jondfk said:

As it happens the restaurant manager made a lengthy stop to say hello as we were finishing up lunch.  We had a ranging discussion which included the reintroduction of daily lunch, towards the end I expressed my surprise as how wines are handled, his explanation was that SB have more or less given up procuring from their historic vendors as they cannot reliably deliver at the moment.  Therefore they have shifted to much more local port by port procurement which means they buy what’s available where they are, and in far smaller volumes, than might be normal.  This all makes sense (though I’m in the number who see “supply chain” as more excuse than reality these days).  He further explained the day to day changes makes maintaining a list challenging.  Still, he took the feedback well and promised to supply something for a baseline reference, it was understood that this could be changeable as supplies run out on particular favorites.

Were you having lunch in The Restaurant?  The Restaurant manager there is very hands on and available.  

10 hours ago, jondfk said:

Therefore they have shifted to much more local port by port procurement which means they buy what’s available where they are,

We saw this a few times on our Grand Voyage in Quest where delivery of supplies in some ports didn't arrive when expected. The Bar Manager and a few others went out to buy more local wine for the ship. In Punta Arena they, after multiple hours searching, managed to get a large supply which they needed as we were heading to Antarctica, South Georgia etc. When they got back to the ship the customs officials held it and said they needed to check through it before deciding whether to allow it onboard. This caused the team great stress. They were very relieved when just before we are due to depart Customs cleared it.

• Like 1