Air Canada Pilots Contract??

3Shelaghs

I think they opted to renew contracts earlier (it was supposed to be next year) and they are going to do it in Sept 2023.  After that, it will be the flight crew (flight attendants and check-in) and not sure if they baggage handlers are in a different union but I am assuming things will flow to that next.  Maybe since they are going to negotiate after school starts, they are not seeking a lot, unlike WJ which timed it before a major long weekend (I'm being sarcastic).

Pilots opened their contract a year early, with Sept 2023 being earliest job actions possibilities (we're supposed to be in FLL on Nov 11, so watching this closely)

Cabin crew (flight attendants), baggage handlers, and maintenance contracts all expire in 2026, so definitely not planning on flying much that year! 

My flights home after my cruise are on Oct 14 on AC.  I'll either be on them or I'll let EZ Air handle the issue.  At least I should have no problem getting to embarkation port (different airline).

• 2 weeks later...

We flew WJ on May 20th  to Vancouver for our May 21st cruise.   About 3 weeks before the departure date, I booked fully refundable tickets with Porter as back up, as we were unsure if WJ would be on strike or not.  They were expensive, but gave us peace of mind. 

As it turned out, WJ settled the day before we left, so we cancelled the Porter tickets and had our money refunded in about 5 days.   

I think booking a back up as soon as there is any hint of job action at AC (or maybe before) is a good plan. 

I was a victim of a cancelled WJ flight for my trip to Maui - what I can suggest - start pricing out a backup - fully refundable - flight.   If you can afford it - then book it.   You can cancel up to the time of departure - and do not cancel it until you are 100% sure you're boarding.    Prices will only go up from here, especially if they issue a strike notice.   Air Canada prices were jacked up to 5 times what we paid for our flights on WJ and we ended up driving to Seattle and flying from there.   

On 6/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, dawnvip said:

Pilots opened their contract a year early, with Sept 2023 being earliest job actions possibilities (we're supposed to be in FLL on Nov 11, so watching this closely)

What date in Sept is the earliest they could strike?

The current agreement with pilots is in force until Sept. 29, Air Canada said. Since landing on a 10-year collective agreement in 2014, Air Canada pilots have received a two per cent pay hike each year.

While strike action is unlikely this summer, passengers can expect the threat of Air Canada pilots walking off the job sometime around the winter holiday season or spring 2024, said John Gradek, a former Air Canada executive who now lectures in aviation management at McGill University.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2023/05/31/with-air-canada-pilots-opening-gate-to-early-contract-talks-can-travellers-expect-a-possible-strike.html

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

The last I heard, AC pilots aren't working any "extra hours" which could result in delayed flights over the summer.

our flights have been cancelled for the fall & rebooked

We had a non stop which now stops in YYZ  

Guess  the 1hr 1/2 was too much  for them  🙄

Wonder how many more changes before  the fall

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

our flights have been cancelled for the fall & rebooked

We had a non stop which now stops in YYZ  

Guess  the 1hr 1/2 was too much  for them  🙄

Wonder how many more changes before  the fall

Our flight was cancelled by AC and re-routed the DAY AFTER booking!! (less than 4 months out) 

You would think they'd have their flight plans solidified by that time, but it seems anything goes these days. At least it wasn't day before our flights! I called and had AC change flights again to meet our schedule preferences. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a tad worried about our upcoming AC flight to LHR, which is supposed to leave in 12 more days, especially after hearing the news of almost 2000 flights disrupted this past long weekend...

https://globalnews.ca/news/9810144/air-canada-flight-disruptions-canada-day-long-weekend/

I suppose it is good that we are flying on a Monday, not a holiday, and not at the end of the month?

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, LHT28 said:

Now I wish when they changed our flights  I  had asked for a refund 🤢

UPDATE

well   they changed our flights again  for  Sept  so  maybe best to cancel the flights   if they will refund me  full amount

GRRR

Any news  whether the pilots will strike  in Sept???

2 hours ago, Yowman said:

My AC flights (post cruise) are still showing as unchanged.  Fingers crossed I get home, although I hope Princess EZair will step in if my flights are canceled)

Good luck

I am not cruising Princess  LOL

I booked outbound with Porter  &  inbound  with AC ( I like the stress)  from MIA to YYZ

we will just have to make the 2+ hr drive to YYZ😲

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 11:52 AM, Yowman said:

My AC flights (post cruise) are still showing as unchanged.  Fingers crossed I get home, although I hope Princess EZair will step in if my flights are canceled)

We're hedging our bets by doing the same thing - buying tickets through HAL flightease. That way, if AC pilots do go on strike, HAL will be on the hook to get us to MIA for the cruise.

Having read the comments in this thread, I just booked a fully refundable backup ticket on another airline to be sure to get to the cruise in case Air Canada is on strike. 

On the return back to Canada, I haven't done that, though -- just have an AC ticket.  If a strike occurs, what obligation, if any, would AC have to get booked passengers home?  Anyone familiar with this? 

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

On the return back to Canada, I haven't done that, though -- just have an AC ticket.  If a strike occurs, what obligation, if any, would AC have to get booked passengers home?  Anyone familiar with this? 

I am wondering the same thing  but hopefully they will refund you  & then it will be  a scramble  to find a flight home

We have a return flight mid Oct  so fingers crossed  it is over by then

I cancelled the outbound   with AC on the  3rd change   booked Porter  to YUL where our cruise  starts

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Having read the comments in this thread, I just booked a fully refundable backup ticket on another airline to be sure to get to the cruise in case Air Canada is on strike. 

I'm not sure what they'll do other than a refund or perhaps ticketing you on a *Alliance partner.

In my case my homeward travel is on AC metal on a Lufthansa ticket (220xxxxxxxxxx ticket number).  Hopefully LH will be able to get me to Montreal should AC strike, or Princess EZAir will find other routing home.  Time will tell ...

• Like 1