35 Day Hawaii, Tahiti Cruise.

danogg

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I would definitely choose the Volendam over the K'dam, to get to experience Bora Bora (they are still showing that as a port of call, despite being over 1200 capacity). But the Voledam has a 51-day itinerary, and that is just too long to be away. Thirty-five days is pushing it; we may have to hire a house-sitter rather than presuming on family!

In a perfect world, Koningsdam would be my choice, too. But real life always gets in the way. 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bennybear said:

We spent 23 nights on the Koningsdam and totally enjoyed it.  We were concerned after so many negative comments but found her beautiful and spacious.  The stateroom MAY 

have been slightly smaller, but it was very well laid out with a huge shower and wonderful balcony.  I honestly noticed no difference.

@Tampa GirlI am confused about your comment that the promenade is not 360 degrees.   It is narrower in places but you can easily walk all around, unlike Princess where you have to go inside and out of the Royal.

My mistake.  I guess it was the narrowness in places that was reported by several people as not being comparable to the prior classes'  full promenade.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

In a perfect world, Koningsdam would be my choice, too. But real life always gets in the way. 🙂

Well that isn't right. VOLENDAM or Zaandam would be my choice. I've just priced out the 56 day for next year (from Vancouver) and I can say that my pocketbook wouldn't be happy either. sigh. I think I'll stick with the Koningsdam, which I love. This cruise will be my third cruise on her (whether 2024 or 2025).

15 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Well that isn't right. VOLENDAM or Zaandam would be my choice. I've just priced out the 56 day for next year (from Vancouver) and I can say that my pocketbook wouldn't be happy either. sigh. I think I'll stick with the Koningsdam, which I love. This cruise will be my third cruise on her (whether 2024 or 2025).

The bigger ships are generally less expensive per day.  Also the “grand” and “ultimate” voyages are more expensive per day. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jwb3843 said:

Does anyone know where the best place to buy Tahitian vanilla will be on this itinerary?

It was sold everywhere. Quality unknown. Not cheap. Try a few and see which one you like best. 

On 6/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, danogg said:

Thanks for all the positive feedback.  I think we’re going to book the 2025 cruise.  We love snorkelling….are there good snorkelling excursions offered?  Where could I look for some examples of the shore excursions offered?

@danogg

You'll love this cruise - anytime you can cruise French Polynesia - it's a Winner!  Esp for snorkeling & water sports.

My first cruise to French Polynesia was Honeymoon on Windstar 32 years ago.

We travel these islands twice a year EXCEPT not from 2020 (start of Covid) until this coming Fall.

Have done both cruises & land trips.

Papeete - I don't like their beaches etc.  I do enjoy their Market (short walking distance from pier) plus the Food Trucks at night (on dock near where you exit pier) -- these are fun & I wouldn't miss them.  Love to pick up flower arrangement from Market for Cabin.  Otherwise I'd take a Land Excursion - which you can easily book via Trip Advisor or similar company for price much cheaper than HAL Excursion.  (We love Moorea so much - we'd be taking the first High Speed Ferry (30 min) over to Moorea & rent a Car for the day thru Albert's.  They will meet you at the Pier & give you a ride back to Pier.

If you decide to go over to Moorea & rent a car -- just look up "Things to do on Moorea" on YouTube.  The island is very small you can circle it & see all the sights in one day.

We always enjoy parking & taking the "Coco Beach" shuttle & have lunch there & snorkel a bit.  Almost all the Hotel Resorts will allow you to pay for a Resort Day Pass if you want some quality beach time & snorkeling.  My favorite is the Sofitel followed by Hilton.   Then when ship anchors in Moorea  - you can spend that day in & on the Water.   Normally HAL brings on a very good Tahitian Dance Show while in Papeete - so don't miss it.

Moorea - Get in the Water!!

My favorite excursion is one where you'll swim with the sharks & stingrays & also include a Motu Picnic.  The snorkeling is exceptional out on the Motu's.  Albert's normally has good tours - but again check out TripAdvisor.  All of these private Tour Companies will meet you at end of Tender Dock (past the Vendor Tables @ parking lot)

Raiatea  - I don't find this island that interesting (if you do an interior land excursion make sure bus is air conditioned as it can get hot & muggy inland) ----- BUT - excellent snorkeling on Tahaa --- it's sister island.  The things to do at this port are Drift Snorkeling the Coral Gardens and another Motu Picnic for additional snorkeling.  You can research these via YouTube videos.  While you can find a Tahaa tour by walking off the ship - turn right & walk down to the Pier - many Tour Boat Vendors will be down there --- it's better to book ahead.

Many will include a Pearl Farm & Vanilla Plantation stop - but I feel they are boring & would not recommend.  Most of these Tour companies will arrange a private tour if you can get enough people via Cruise Critic to join you.  Then you can plan a snorkeling tour that will be longer at the Coral Gardens and more time at the Motu.  Most tour companies will have you pay when you board their boat --- but for those who want an advance deposit - they refund with 24-48 Hr advance notice.   (Yes unfortunately there has been times when it's raining too much & you'll have to cancel a snorkeling excursion)

Excited for you and this wonderful cruise you will be on.

My favorite way is to use Air Miles & vacation during July or August.  Rent an Air BNB & then use "puddle jump plane"  with Moorea, Bora Bora & Roratonga as our favorite islands to visit.  We also love Maupiti - but it's too primitive for most people.

Edited by CruisingGrandmaW
@danoog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@danogg

Forgot Fakarava

There is not much to do on this Atoll - & it usually has the highest chance for rain.

But there is a small beach to the right of the tender dock - that you can walk to.

There is a vendor who does snorkeling excursions to the Blue Lagoon.  My memory is fading & I can't remember his name.  If you go over to the Paul Gaugin CC Roll Calls - & read thru them - you should be able to pick up the favorite private vendors & excursions on their Roll Calls -- as most these people go every year.  

I believe it's at this Atoll also that we were able to locate a Small Resort that had a Restaurant with Tables in the Water.  You can pre-book & for a small fee they will pick you up near the Tender Dock.  Again name alludes me right now - but most likely there will be talk about it on Paul Gaugin Roll Call

On 6/3/2023 at 2:21 PM, danogg said:

I am interested in taking this cruise in 2025 .  The ship is the Koningsdam . Has anybody taken this cruise? Would you recommend it?

YES! We took a simialr cruise on the Noordam in 2022...and are curently book on the K'dam for Feb.2024.. It is an awesome cruise!! Judge for yourself...here is our youtube video of our 2022 cruise:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTY8CPGV3T9cgBKvJ04-OLyBkSLoxyRjG

DH and I are booked on the September, 2024, Zaandam, 51-day cruise.  However, our days in the sun are long gone, thanks to skin cancer.  And we don't snorkel.  We have been to some of the islands as day excursions from other cruises, and we do like the South Pacific.  However, can we ,  realistically expect fo enjoy 51 days of the  South Pacific when we won't be engaging in any of the water sports, other than swimming?  This is an expensive trip, and if one has to engage in water sports to appreciate the islands, it would be a waste of money.  Would appreciate your opinions, pls.  Thanks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

DH and I are booked on the September, 2024, Zaandam, 51-day cruise.  However, our days in the sun are long gone, thanks to skin cancer.  And we don't snorkel.  We have been to some of the islands as day excursions from other cruises, and we do like the South Pacific.  However, can we ,  realistically expect fo enjoy 51 days of the  South Pacific when we won't be engaging in any of the water sports, other than swimming?  This is an expensive trip, and if one has to engage in water sports to appreciate the islands, it would be a waste of money.  Would appreciate your opinions, pls.  Thanks.

I do not like to go to hot locations. I was born in the subtropics and left as soon as I as I could.  For many years a necessary medication required I stay out of the sun.  I was able to eliminate that medication and DH took advantage of that and scheduled us on the 35 day voyage.  Long journeys with plenty of sea days are for me are a spa vacation, where I order healthful food, get in shape and come away 5 to 10 pounds lighter, more physically fit and glowing.  It is an alternative concept to cruising but I enjoy it.  As to water sports I have only scheduled one snorkel day but will likely have many walking/wandering days minding the shade and mingling with the culture.  I don’t shy away from shore excursions/tours, we often joke that we get the cheap cabin and spend like drunken sailors onshore.  Other ways to enjoy the ocean are catamarans, glass bottom boats and similar - all where you can seek the shade.  Take a note from this gal from the south - bring an umbrella for your own shade. The camaraderie with fellow passengers on a long cruise is priceless 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I do not like to go to hot locations. I was born in the subtropics and left as soon as I as I could.  For many years a necessary medication required I stay out of the sun.  I was able to eliminate that medication and DH took advantage of that and scheduled us on the 35 day voyage.  Long journeys with plenty of sea days are for me are a spa vacation, where I order healthful food, get in shape and come away 5 to 10 pounds lighter, more physically fit and glowing.  It is an alternative concept to cruising but I enjoy it.  As to water sports I have only scheduled one snorkel day but will likely have many walking/wandering days minding the shade and mingling with the culture.  I don’t shy away from shore excursions/tours, we often joke that we get the cheap cabin and spend like drunken sailors onshore.  Other ways to enjoy the ocean are catamarans, glass bottom boats and similar - all where you can seek the shade.  Take a note from this gal from the south - bring an umbrella for your own shade. The camaraderie with fellow passengers on a long cruise is priceless 

Thank you, Mary.   I like your "alternative concept" to cruising.  That is also DH's and, for the most part, mine as well.  So I  we should  do fine.  As for the camaraderie in long cruises, we discovered that years ago, and have been impatiently waiting for HAL to schedule another Grand Asia.  We took the 90-day in 2018 and would love to recreate the "our own little community" feeling.  For some strange reason, however, I don't foresee another Grand Asia in the near future.  Thanks again for your response.

• Like 1

Searching for the best, fresh coconut milk ceviche made us happy on our cruises through the South Pacific. We found the best on Fakarava. And water was so warm there it was just pleasant to find a shady spot long the beach and relax in the water.

I use basically "long underwear" for sun protection coverings as well as slight wetsuit when in the water in these areas - like the "Heattech" sets from Uniqlo - in black, pretty cheap and serviceable.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, jwb3843 said:

Does anyone know where the best place to buy Tahitian vanilla will be on this itinerary?

The Tahitian vanilla is very smooth and delicate. However, I bake with Nielson Massey from Madagascar. You can even buy it on Amazon. You won't be disappointed. 

13 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Searching for the best, fresh coconut milk ceviche made us happy on our cruises through the South Pacific. We found the best on Fakarava. And water was so warm there it was just pleasant to find a shady spot long the beach and relax in the water.

I use basically "long underwear" for sun protection coverings as well as slight wetsuit when in the water in these areas - like the "Heattech" sets from Uniqlo - in black, pretty cheap and serviceable.

13 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

That is good info .We were wondering what to do  for that port stop .Beach is good & coconut milk  .How hot do you remember it being ? 

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

It was hot, but not oppressive.I always bring a metallic reflective shade umbrella when traveling in these climates (See Coolibar website).  https://www.coolibar.com/accessories/umbrellas/sanya-compact-umbrella-upf-50.html

We welcomed the trees along the walk to a hotel (which is where we got the wonderful fresh ceviche) Not much development on this island - which for us was a welcome treat. I dare say this might be the "only" hotel near the port, so the name escapes me now - catered mainly to French tourists probably on a package.

Update: Havaiki Lodge https://www.havaiki.com/nos-services/restaurants/

A palapa type dining area, a beer and some ceviche as well as other modest menu items, and one was living out the tropical island dream (which  never quite lives up to any prior fantasies since topical islands are remote and hot, with limited supplies.)

(Sorry about the duplicate posts - when I try to open a new thread or edit a prior post- this happened. Not sure how to prevent this. The last post has the added links and missing information)

Guest ldtr
On 6/8/2023 at 11:32 AM, CruisingGrandmaW said:

@danogg

You'll love this cruise - anytime you can cruise French Polynesia - it's a Winner!  Esp for snorkeling & water sports.

My first cruise to French Polynesia was Honeymoon on Windstar 32 years ago.

We travel these islands twice a year EXCEPT not from 2020 (start of Covid) until this coming Fall.

Have done both cruises & land trips.

Papeete - I don't like their beaches etc.  I do enjoy their Market (short walking distance from pier) plus the Food Trucks at night (on dock near where you exit pier) -- these are fun & I wouldn't miss them.  Love to pick up flower arrangement from Market for Cabin.  Otherwise I'd take a Land Excursion - which you can easily book via Trip Advisor or similar company for price much cheaper than HAL Excursion.  (We love Moorea so much - we'd be taking the first High Speed Ferry (30 min) over to Moorea & rent a Car for the day thru Albert's.  They will meet you at the Pier & give you a ride back to Pier.

If you decide to go over to Moorea & rent a car -- just look up "Things to do on Moorea" on YouTube.  The island is very small you can circle it & see all the sights in one day.

We always enjoy parking & taking the "Coco Beach" shuttle & have lunch there & snorkel a bit.  Almost all the Hotel Resorts will allow you to pay for a Resort Day Pass if you want some quality beach time & snorkeling.  My favorite is the Sofitel followed by Hilton.   Then when ship anchors in Moorea  - you can spend that day in & on the Water.   Normally HAL brings on a very good Tahitian Dance Show while in Papeete - so don't miss it.

Moorea - Get in the Water!!

My favorite excursion is one where you'll swim with the sharks & stingrays & also include a Motu Picnic.  The snorkeling is exceptional out on the Motu's.  Albert's normally has good tours - but again check out TripAdvisor.  All of these private Tour Companies will meet you at end of Tender Dock (past the Vendor Tables @ parking lot)

Raiatea  - I don't find this island that interesting (if you do an interior land excursion make sure bus is air conditioned as it can get hot & muggy inland) ----- BUT - excellent snorkeling on Tahaa --- it's sister island.  The things to do at this port are Drift Snorkeling the Coral Gardens and another Motu Picnic for additional snorkeling.  You can research these via YouTube videos.  While you can find a Tahaa tour by walking off the ship - turn right & walk down to the Pier - many Tour Boat Vendors will be down there --- it's better to book ahead.

Many will include a Pearl Farm & Vanilla Plantation stop - but I feel they are boring & would not recommend.  Most of these Tour companies will arrange a private tour if you can get enough people via Cruise Critic to join you.  Then you can plan a snorkeling tour that will be longer at the Coral Gardens and more time at the Motu.  Most tour companies will have you pay when you board their boat --- but for those who want an advance deposit - they refund with 24-48 Hr advance notice.   (Yes unfortunately there has been times when it's raining too much & you'll have to cancel a snorkeling excursion)

Excited for you and this wonderful cruise you will be on.

My favorite way is to use Air Miles & vacation during July or August.  Rent an Air BNB & then use "puddle jump plane"  with Moorea, Bora Bora & Roratonga as our favorite islands to visit.  We also love Maupiti - but it's too primitive for most people.

I have found snorkeling around some of the islands to be disappointing compared to other locations around the world. The amount of an invasive algae (Tubinaria ornata) has dramatically increased over the last 5-10 years and is negatively impacting shallow reef areas such as the drift snorkel location.   

Edited by ldtr

21 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The Tahitian vanilla is very smooth and delicate. However, I bake with Nielson Massey from Madagascar. You can even buy it on Amazon. You won't be disappointed. 

Thank you for sharing this info!  I’ll definitely give it a try!  Definitely more pricey than most, but some things are worth splurging on!   I’ll still try to bring some home from Tahiti too.  It’s not often you can get it so close to the source.

8 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

It was hot, but not oppressive.I always bring a metallic reflective shade umbrella when traveling in these climates (See Coolibar website).  https://www.coolibar.com/accessories/umbrellas/sanya-compact-umbrella-upf-50.html

We welcomed the trees along the walk to a hotel (which is where we got the wonderful fresh ceviche) Not much development on this island - which for us was a welcome treat. I dare say this might be the "only" hotel near the port, so the name escapes me now - catered mainly to French tourists probably on a package.

Update: Havaiki Lodge https://www.havaiki.com/nos-services/restaurants/

A palapa type dining area, a beer and some ceviche as well as other modest menu items, and one was living out the tropical island dream (which  never quite lives up to any prior fantasies since topical islands are remote and hot, with limited supplies.)

Thanks We see Sanya 48 inch compact umbrella ...........says reflective 50 spf  .Not recommended in heavy rains or heavy winds  .SP $45 .Can get 20 % off as a new customer .

Is this the umbrella you used ?

30 minutes ago, jwb3843 said:

Thank you for sharing this info!  I’ll definitely give it a try!  Definitely more pricey than most, but some things are worth splurging on!   I’ll still try to bring some home from Tahiti too.  It’s not often you can get it so close to the source.

We are interested in the Tahitian pearls .  Getting a book on these pearls  to have knowledge to buy eight . Want a necklace of graduated pearls 

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are interested in the Tahitian pearls .  Getting a book on these pearls  to have knowledge to buy eight . Want a necklace of graduated pearls 

Stringing pearls properly is an art.  Be sure they are using silk threads.  As counterintuitive as it sounds let the jeweler instruct you.  Read the pearl book for sure but be sure to read reviews of the various gemstone sellers.  We had mine selected and strung, mine are Japanese. The skill of the artisan makes the difference between jewelry and an heirloom 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 5:28 PM, OlsSalt said:

Question  we already know that this walker can go on tenders  ,From your rxoerience how would  it be on  dirt & gravel paths  on these islands ?  Iy has large wheels   Here is apicture of the walker:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drive-Medical-Nitro-Euro-Style-Rollator-Rolling-Walker-Red/1001864310

Thank you for your input

Cliff