At sea evacuation of passengers from Sky Princess questioned

Crystabel

8 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

We were on this cruise and witnessed two helicopter evacuations during the 14 day sailing. This article explains a lot. 

https://apple.news/APF8aeGiPRQy-pjw8JgCKkQ

Is there another news source for this that does not require downloading an app?  And would it be asking too much to know what your thoughts are on this?  Are you questioning the need for the evacuations?  Are you writing to thank and praise the brave response teams?  Without more, this comes off as potential spam. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4

Another case of not allowing the facts to get in the way of a good story!

Ship's doctors will always err on the side of caution (I know from experience) as there are limited facilities onboard and if the worst was to happen there would be little that could be done. To the best of my knowledge nobody from this board was in the medical centre at the time so we only know one side of the story.

On one hand he is saying he had a medical bill of £2400 but not wanting to claim transport home in case it increased his premium - that is what travel insurance is for!

3 minutes ago, antsp said:

a supposed infection, turned out to be a sprained muscle 

As he was on antibiotics for three days I would presume that a blood test was done and maybe the infection had reduced and the sprain was now becoming the cause of his pain/discomfort. As he had had a hip replacement then there can be any number of complications.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, antsp said:

Guy was evacuated to a hospital on land, for a supposed infection, turned out to be a sprained muscle 

And the two other people who were evacuated with him didn’t need emergency attention. 

Well personally, if the guy’s leg hurt bad enough to go to the medical center, wouldn’t he rather have the doctor onboard err on the side of caution in case it was an infection.  Too much missing data .. did the guy have a fever?  Was the area of the hip replacement reddened, swollen or warm to the touch?  
Also, the man bought insurance but doesn’t want to use it?  Now, he’d rather complain about the high cost of getting back home.  Sorry, but that is the reason for buying insurance .. 

• Like 6

I would never second guess the medical team, the Captain or port authorities, etc.

They do what is best for that guest, making the best decision at the time. 

I would not put much faith in the media posts either.

So much finger pointing going on.

• Like 9

Before I saw the article I had seen his posts on FB about the situation and he was mostly getting flamed.  We may never know the real story but I would only hope and pray that whatever the outcome is it doesn't result in people not being transported off the ship when they truly need it.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Is there another news source for this that does not require downloading an app?  And would it be asking too much to know what your thoughts are on this?  Are you questioning the need for the evacuations?  Are you writing to thank and praise the brave response teams?  Without more, this comes off as potential spam. 

I did not need an app on my Android or desktop PC...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

It was a FYI and nothing else. 

Edited by Crystabel

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12156265/Cruise-ship-passenger-airlifted-hospital-800-miles-home-says-wasnt-ill.html

45 minutes ago, david63 said:

Allegedly!

Allegedly or not it made the national News.  I do find it alarming for some to question his experience which was obviously a stressful time.  Right or wrong the person involved feels aggrieved about the whole experience which is quite sad 😞 

If he didn’t want to follow the advice of the ships medical crew he never should have gone to the sick bay.  There are limited diagnostic capabilities on a ship -ie no CT scanners to look for abscesses.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m truly sorry his holiday was ruined after pain in his operated hip. Especially when it was a special occasion. It sounds an awful situation to be in.

That aside, the not claiming on travel insurance is confusing me. If this wasn’t UK coastguard picking up a UK National I think there would be a Med evac to pay for so he’d be claiming, no question, as long as his insurance was valid.

As it is he has £2400 ship medical bill and 2 flights to get home. How much money would his premiums increase to for a £3000 ish claim to not be worth it? also the insurance should pay for the portion of the holiday he missed, excursions missed, and this to include his time laid up in the ships hospital🤷‍♀️ 

we previously made a claim for a $500 ship medical bill with bare minimum premium increases, it was more than worth it even on that small claim amount & a very small excess to pay

we also had to claim over £2500 on our insurance for a cruise having to be cancelled last year due to a medical emergency. Again, v small increase in premium this year even though the claim was much larger

Edited by JG&Lcruisingnewbies
Added info
  • Like 1

I will just say good luck with that.  Usually the medical personnel are not employed by the cruiselines - they are independent.  And as usual READ your passage Contract 

Due to the nature of travel by sea and the ports visited, the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed and emergency medical evacuation will not be possible from every location to which the vessel sails. All health, medical or other personal services in connection with Your Cruise are provided solely for the convenience and benefit of Guests who may be charged for such services. You accept and use medicine, medical treatment and other personal services available on the vessel or elsewhere at Your sole risk and expense without liability or responsibility of Carrier whatsoever, and agree to indemnify the Carrier for all medical or evacuation costs or expenses incurred on Your behalf. Doctors, nurses or other medical or service personnel work directly for Guest and shall not be considered to be acting under the control or supervision of Carrier, since Carrier is not a medical provider. Carrier does not undertake to supervise the medical expertise of any such medical personnel and will not be liable for the consequences of any examination, advice, diagnosis, medication, treatment, prognosis or other professional services which a doctor or nurse may or may not furnish You.  Similarly, and without limitation, all spa personnel, instructors, guest lecturers, entertainers and other service personnel shall be considered independent contractors who work directly for the Guest.  Carrier strongly recommends that all Guests travel with a sufficient supply of their prescription medications to last fourteen (14) days beyond the scheduled conclusion of the Cruise.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thanks. The link in the original post just kept taking me to a page asking me to download Apple News. 

18 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, Apple News is a paid service .. 

IMO, CC members should post news link from free sources so anyone can see them that is interested.  I didn't try myself as I got the gist of it all from the other posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Usually the medical personnel are not employed by the cruiselines - they are independent.

Unless there has been a recent change the medical staff on all Carnival lines are employed directly by Carnival and report directly to Carnival's Medical Director.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, david63 said:

Unless there has been a recent change the medical staff on all Carnival lines are employed directly by Carnival and report directly to Carnival's Medical Director.

The info I posted was from a Princess passage contract - everything I see states that they have medical personnel onboard not that they employ them.

• Like 1