First timer Azamara questions

lovely_serenity

Hello everyone!

Hoping for some wisdom from experienced Azamara cruisers, as my family is about to book our first Azamara cruise. We’ve got a few questions to clarify:

If my cruise is 7 nights, will it have an Azamazing night?

If there is an Azamazing night, any guesses re: which port it would be/what the activity might be? (Here are the ports my ship will go to in order)

Lisbon

Portimao

Gibraltar

Malaga

Almeria

Cartagena

Valencia

Barcelona

4. Any tips/secrets for the Azamara Quest?

Thank you kindly!

Edited by lovely_serenity
Add

7 minutes ago, lovely_serenity said:

1. I believe I read something about ordering drinks = requires you to pay 15% or 18% service charge. Does that apply to the items on the complimentary drink menu?

Not true.  Gratuities are already included in the fare for all included items, and in the price of any additional drinks.

I thought we had put this rumor to bed in this thread:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not true.  Gratuities are already included in the fare for all included items, and in the price of any additional drinks.

I thought we had put this rumor to bed in this thread:

Yes, thanks very much. I just saw that thread after posting my question. Thank you!

• Like 2

I'll leave it to others who have sailed Quest more recently than I [we enjoyed our Quest cruise very much, but that was some years ago], but there is a giant thread of general Azamara tips here.  Probably too long to read from the beginning, but you can use the Cruise Critic 'search' feature and limit to 'this topic'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovely_serenity said:

Hello everyone!

Hoping for some wisdom from experienced Azamara cruisers, as my family is about to book our first Azamara cruise. We’ve got a few questions to clarify:

If my cruise is 7 nights, will it have an Azamazing night?

If there is an Azamazing night, any guesses re: which port it would be/what the activity might be? (Here are the ports my ship will go to in order)

Lisbon

Portimao

Gibraltar

Malaga

Almeria

Cartagena

Valencia

Barcelona

4. Any tips/secrets for the Azamara Quest?

Thank you kindly!

Have a look at the excursions for your cruise. If there is one with a zero price that is your Azamazing evening.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Have a look at the excursions for your cruise. If there is one with a zero price that is your Azamazing evening.

And if you can’t see the excursions, it’s likely to be at a stop where there is a late night in port.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

And if you can’t see the excursions, it’s likely to be at a stop where there is a late night in port.

I was actually trying to figure that out, as the excursions aren’t showing yet - I suspected Malaga based on its projected 10pm departure time, but am not able to find any history of existing Malaga Azamazing nights! I found Valencia Azamazing nights, but I think it’s supposed to leave at 6pm 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, lovely_serenity said:

I was actually trying to figure that out, as the excursions aren’t showing yet - I suspected Malaga based on its projected 10pm departure time, but am not able to find any history of existing Malaga Azamazing nights! I found Valencia Azamazing nights, but I think it’s supposed to leave at 6pm 🤷🏻‍♀️

Don't forget that a different late night will be the White Night party.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lovely_serenity said:

We sailed the Spain intensive itinerary last summer, from Barcelona to Lisbon. We had our Azamazing Evening in Valencia, and it was very entertaining. The theme of the show was a theater that had closed, and the acts performing - there was dance, music, acrobatics, humor. Our White Nights party was in Malaga. Not sure what your itinerary will hold. 

15 hours ago, Scots Caz said:

what is the departure date of the cruise you are looking at?

It looks like OP’s cruise might be April 15 next year and if so there are no days at sea and only one night with later than a 6pm departure… Malaga at 10 pm.  I wonder if they’ll have someone come on board instead of everyone leaving the ship,  Or are there cruises that have no Azamazing evenings?

6 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

It looks like OP’s cruise might be April 15 next year and if so there are no days at sea and only one night with later than a 6pm departure… Malaga at 10 pm.  I wonder if they’ll have someone come on board instead of everyone leaving the ship,  Or are there cruises that have no Azamazing evenings?

I have been on cruises with schedules like this. I would expect the Azamazing evening to be Malaga either onboard or ashore. That’s the only option. 
As regards White Nights I have seen the Captain delay a port departure a few hours to accommodate it but it all depends on the pilot port costs tides etc.

Typically they bring forward the entertainment to start at 2000 and end by 2115 or so and the ship then be moving before the end of the dancing. (It’s also the breezy option) 
If that happens the Captain is not around as much as he has pre departure duties and has to be on the bridge for sail out. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, terry&mike said:

We sailed the Spain intensive itinerary last summer, from Barcelona to Lisbon. We had our Azamazing Evening in Valencia, and it was very entertaining. The theme of the show was a theater that had closed, and the acts performing - there was dance, music, acrobatics, humor. Our White Nights party was in Malaga. Not sure what your itinerary will hold. 

I was thinking ours may be the reverse version of this! - perhaps they will make departure time changes as the Azamara booked guests website seems to have a variety of departure times that look a bit different from their published schedule

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

You are correct! I also figured it there’s no overnight port we might end up just having an act come onboard

54 minutes ago, lovely_serenity said:

Although I know gratuities are included, do you still tip when ordering room service? Thank you!

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare.  We show our appreciation by putting money into the Crew Welfare Fund.  That benefits all the crew, not just the ones you interact with.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We don’t.

Us neither. The runner who brings the breakfast isn’t the only one who made it happen. It’s wrong to single them out 

100% with @marinaro44 tipping individuals is in almost all situations onboard Azamara unfair- there are so many others behind the scenes who help with glass washing, laundry, cooking, clearing up. 

Crew welfare fund for monetary recognition which can then be enjoyed by all

Mention by name on attention to detail cards and end of cruise surveys (if you get one) of individuals which will lead to longer term rewards and shorter term recognition by managers (eg extra time off, a free crew excursion etc) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We may be replacing a sailing on X to Portugal next year with this same April 2024 Azamara sailing. Our first AZ cruise. Is room service included or an extra charge? I couldn't find any mention of it on the Azamara website. I promise, I did try to check! I must say, the drink package upgrade prices seem VERY reasonable after years of sailing on X! 

9 minutes ago, FlyingAnchor said:

We may be replacing a sailing on X to Portugal next year with this same April 2024 Azamara sailing. Our first AZ cruise. Is room service included or an extra charge? I couldn't find any mention of it on the Azamara website. I promise, I did try to check! I must say, the drink package upgrade prices seem VERY reasonable after years of sailing on X! 

Room service is included with no extra charge.

And for tipping, we always tip the person who delivers a couple of bucks.  Maybe they didn't cook the food, but it is they who juggle the trays, handle multiple orders and try to be within the delivery time window.

And every single time, they are very appreciative of this tiny show of gratitude.  And there is no reason that you cannot do this as well as make donations to the crew welfare fund.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 1

Just now, ECCruise said:

And for tipping, we always tip the person who delivers a couple of bucks

We always tip on Celebrity, too. At least we did until X started charging for room service and we stopped enjoying it on our balcony every morning. A favorite past time of days gone by of ours lol. 

• Like 1