Alaska back to back and Jones Act

pmjnh

We plan to do an Alaska cruise back to back...Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver. My TA has information stating that we cannot book a back to back because of the Jones Act. 

Has anyone ever encountered this?

Thanks

Guest ldtr
9 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

We plan to do an Alaska cruise back to back...Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver. My TA has information stating that we cannot book a back to back because of the Jones Act. 

Has anyone ever encountered this?

Thanks

Tell your TA they are an idiot. Time to find a new TA. PVSA prevents travel between US ports without a far distant port.  In this case you are starting and ending in a non-US port and it is allowed.

In fact we are doing this exact trip starting on July 6.

Edited by ldtr

Thank you all. She was was actually given this misinformation by a HAL rep, which is what set off the red light.

It is all set now and HAL confirmed that it can be done, the first HAL rep was clearly wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP:   HAL even sells this 14 day Vancouver departure as one cruise, as well as two 7 day ones.   We have done this northbound and southbound B-B so many times I can't keep track! It is a very relaxing cruise and you get the added benefit of seeing the ports twice!

Please enjoy!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Even if the PVSA did apply, this would still be a valid cruise since it would be starting and ending at the same port, therefore a closed loop cruise.

It doesn’t because, as a “closed loop,” the origin/end point isn’t in the US.

32 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

OP:   HAL even sells this 14 day Vancouver departure as one cruise, as well as two 7 day ones.   We have done this northbound and southbound B-B so many times I can't keep track! It is a very relaxing cruise and you get the added benefit of seeing the ports twice!

Please enjoy!!!

Thanks so much..it was a bit stressful getting them  booked but now it is done!

Edited by pmjnh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, julia said:

Just wondering what qualifications are necessary to become a HAL rep?! 😲😅

Looks like not many but HAL must train these reps.  Some seem to have a binder thrown at them and they may take a glance.  There is a lot of info to take in.  However, the particular cruise(s) referenced on this thread is being sold by HAL right now so the rep must never have noticed it.  Hopefully, that was the problem.  The TA should have known this info was wrong, though.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, julia said:

Just wondering what qualifications are necessary to become a HAL rep?! 😲😅

I think the hardest requirement is that they must be breathing.

I agree that the HAL reps usually don't know what they are talking about & just give an answer off the top of their head.  Since the 1st cruise begins in Canada (Vancouver) & ends in USA (Whittier AK) & the 2nd cruise is just the opposite, why would the PSVA be a concern?

• Like 1

Am always amazed that cruisers rely on HAL PCCs.  For those folks that love their PCCs, the next time you talk to that person ask what certifications they have from the CLIA and/or ASTA?  They are likely to ask you "what is CLIA and ASTA?"   When you ask a HAL clerk a question, if it is not very common knowledge they will rely on "scripts" they can bring up on their monitors (kind of like when folks look at FAQs).  Over the years we have talked to some excellent HAL folks, but they were not the same people that normally answer the phone when you call the toll free number.

For travel professionals in the cruise and travel agencies there is a major continuing education program run by CLIA which awards certifications such as ACC (Accredited Cruise Counselor) or MCC (Master Cruise Counselor).  There are also some excellent training programs through ASTA such as VTA (Verified Travel Advisor).    In fact, for folks looking for a decent cruise or travel agent, it can be helpful to find agents who have these kinds of certifications.  

Hank

• Like 2

Interesting takes on possible qualifications to be a HAL rep :)  I think, usually, the PCCs know quite a bit.  But the reservation agents, that is another story.  HAL expects me to book a cruise or three with one of them?  HAL should think twice about serious training.

That said, some TAs are not much more knowledgeable that some of the reps. so I have always though I need to know the score, know something about the question/answer before I ask.

Guest ldtr
35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Am always amazed that cruisers rely on HAL PCCs.  For those folks that love their PCCs, the next time you talk to that person ask what certifications they have from the CLIA and/or ASTA?  They are likely to ask you "what is CLIA and ASTA?"   When you ask a HAL clerk a question, if it is not very common knowledge they will rely on "scripts" they can bring up on their monitors (kind of like when folks look at FAQs).  Over the years we have talked to some excellent HAL folks, but they were not the same people that normally answer the phone when you call the toll free number.

For travel professionals in the cruise and travel agencies there is a major continuing education program run by CLIA which awards certifications such as ACC (Accredited Cruise Counselor) or MCC (Master Cruise Counselor).  There are also some excellent training programs through ASTA such as VTA (Verified Travel Advisor).    In fact, for folks looking for a decent cruise or travel agent, it can be helpful to find agents who have these kinds of certifications.  

Hank

A properly designed customer service department does not need people with certifications.  What is does need is a properly designed data system that covers the answers for 90% or more of the questions and situations they encounter and have an easy ability to escalate to the next level for the 10% or less that they cannot.  This also includes the training to make sure that they stay on script with what is in the system to give consistent responses.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

A properly designed customer service department does not need people with certifications.  What is does need is a properly designed data system that covers the answers for 90% or more of the questions and situations they encounter and have an easy ability to escalate to the next level for the 10% or less that they cannot.  This also includes the training to make sure that they stay on script with what is in the system to give consistent responses.

Well I am sure you get all that when you call HAL!  ROFL 🙂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Can they fog a mirror. 

Not if they have Long Covid w/lingering respiratory issues. Ugh...

Serious note, there are many many wonderful HAL associates who do an awesome job and will get an answer (with reliably correct info) rather than spewing boilerplate to help us make informed decisions. 

Guest ldtr
3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Well I am sure you get all that when you call HAL!  ROFL 🙂

Never said they did, only that you can build a good customer service department with the first line reps not needing certs.  In many ways you would not what them to.  In customer service a little knowledge without a good structure is dangerous because you never know how they are going to interpret what they know and how they are going to answer. Much better to have a good reference library of the correct responses in line with corporate policy and procedure.