I Am Very Interested In Silversea, Can I get some Advice?

Sthrngary

Been cruising for 44 years.  My first cruise was my Honeymoon 44 years ago on the Norwegian SS Norway. We were just married yet had bunk beds.  We thought it was the most wonderful vacation of our lives.  Then again, it was the first and only vacation of our lives.  Since then we have moved up mostly in Mainstream Cruise brands to balcony's followed by the Premium Area's in Celebrity, MSC and mostly the NCL Haven.  

I am 65 and my wife is 63.  Our tastes have changed from watching pool games of belly flop contests, water slides, Lasor tag and Virtual Reality. Now we would like to see interesting places, have exceptional dining experiences, and a Martini with a jazz in the background.  I am a preparation NUT. I do hours of work attempting to make a Mainstream cruise come as close to a "All-Inclusive" Luxury cruise as I can.  We used to think the only way to go is a Mega Ship with 4,000 to 6,000 folks.  Than we had our one and only experience in the Luxury (Not Ultra-Luxury) category on Crystal Cruise before it went bankrupt. The difference in personalized service and dining was so much better than any experience even in the Mainstream Premium area's.

I hope that give a good overview for recommendations.  I know question like mine leave out any likes and dislikes making are to provide information.  The one items that has keep me away from the Ultra-Luxury Category is investment.  The other is I always thought the only totally All-Inclusive cruise brand was Regent Seven Seas.  Let's say, we are open to the investments and realize no cruise brand is fully All-Inclusive.  

If you can help me, what I am looking for is:

1. Your favorite ship and why?
  2. Your favorite stateroom and why?
  3. Your thoughts on the Dining Experience?
  4. What are the amentias provided which helps with justification?

The one lesson I learned is if you are serious about enjoying this kind of experience, 7-days is simply to shore.  Yet 21 days would be to long for us.  Any advice or assistance would be embraced. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Sthrngary,

Heavens, you and the missus are just young sprouts - not like some of us Methuselahs that haunt these boards.  In addition to being somewhat long in the tooth, I am a skinflint of awesome proportions.  Nonetheless, back in the day when we were contemplating our first serious cruise, I spent a long time looking at many of the lines, and assessing the costs and benefits of a smaller ship with more favorable space to passenger ratio, and all the things you aren't dinged for at every turn, and decided SS was a fair proposition for rubles forked over, versus experience delivered.  We've done four SS cruises (and few on other, lesser lines), and will continue with SS on our next. 

We had an experience once where we were walking off a pier, and had to pass nearby the main entrance gangway to a huge mega-ship.  We were accosted by their camera toting crew, who planned on pressuring us to buy photos of ourselves once back on board their ship.  Au contraire!  I was glad we were on the Silver Muse, and didn't have to deal with in-house paparazzi, or any of the other schemes they have to extract as much coin from you as possible.  

These cruises aren't cheap, but once you get over the paying part, there is a good chance that most people will have a fun, luxurious experience without having to fret about wearing your "drinks badge" or swiping cards at every turn, and can enjoy the services of the crew who - mostly - do a fine job and are eager to please.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

These cruises aren't cheap, but once you get over the paying part, there is a good chance that most people will have a fun, luxurious experience without having to fret about wearing your "drinks badge" or swiping cards at every turn, and can enjoy the services of the crew who - mostly - do a fine job and are eager to please.

Amen to that.😊

• Like 1

I see you have a cruise coming up on Oceania Riviera.  That will give you a good comparison to Silversea and let you decide if the jump from Premium to Luxury is worth it to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having done Azamara, Crystal, Oceania and Regent, we keep going back to SS. We've taken 10 SS cruises and have 2 upcoming bookings. Service has always been exceptional and we often see crew members who we've sailed with before. It's nice that they remember us!  Dining options are varied but the food can sometimes be a hit or miss (mostly it's a hit!). We prefer a center-ship cabin, so a deluxe or superior verandah works just fine. The bathrooms are a good size and there's plenty of storage. Our butler has always gone above and beyond for us. The included shore excursions have been very good. 

Happy sailing, with whatever you decide. There's nothing better than cruising! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well you are at the right age to start cruising with Silversea. I was 63 on our first.

My favourite ship is still the oldest of their Expedition ships the Explorer. However it is leaving the suite and both of us no longer able to fully appreciate expedition cruising.

So our new favourite ship in the Silversea fleet is any one of the 3 Muse class ships. That is the Muse, the Moon or the Dawn. Why? Big enough to have a lot of public spaces and restaurants but with a small enough passenger load to not feel crowded at most times.

Favourite suite. It used to be a Silver suite which on the smaller ships was basically the smallest my wife felt comfortable in. it also comes with a great bonus for people starting out on Silversea - free laundry. It also comes with free premium wifi which now with starlink is a good benefit.

However on the Explorer in warmer climes we would have a medallion suite because of a much larger balcony. That was also the case on the Whisper. They also get the perks with a slightly lower price tag.

On our first time on the Silver muse we had a silver suite and it was much larger than the smaller ships. so we asked to see a verandah suite and thought it would be big enough. We have just done a 54 day cruise on the Moon in a verandah suite and are happy to keep sailing in one. We have qualified for free laundry so didn't need that. Only comes with standard wifi which is better than it was in the past but still limited.

Interestingly we felt that 30 days was the longest cruise we could tolerate but we were on and our 54 day cruise turned into our best yet. The reason is because we got to know a lot of the creww better than on shorter cruises and that just made the experience much better. Most who have cruised a lot on Silversea will say one of the top reasons they continue is the crew.

Dining. Really this is so variable due to an individuals tastes and dislikes that there swill never be agreement on any cruise line, hotel or airline's food as to which are good and which should be avoided.

That said we really enjoy the food on Silversea. our favourite restaurants now are Atlantide, kaiseki and the Arts Cafe for breakfast. We don't do buffets. The up market restaurant La Dame is a $US60 a head surcharge. yes it is better than atlantide but for us not enough to warrant thast surcharge. Similiarly Kaiseki has a $US40 surcharge at night only. We love our Japanese food and frequented it for lunch on most days. Again the evening menu to us does not stand out as wonderful Japanese cuisine. But on the Silver Muse at night they had Teppanyaki which is definitely worth the upcharge. Although the Silversea website says teppanyaki is available on all ships that have Kaiseki the Muse is the only one where you sit around the Teppan grill and the chef performs.

As to investment I don't think eating at la Dame or Kaiseki at night is essential for the enjoyment of the cruise. Nor do I think it is necessary to have wine from the connoisseur's list as the complementary wines are of a very reasonable standard and if you dislike a wine supplied on the day just ask for one of the other standard wines instead.

I am not sure what else you mean by amenities but have mentioned the important 2 - laundry and wifi.

But as others have said the only way you will really know is to try a cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I may be in the minority but I enjoy the Shadow and the Whisper for their main dining rooms for dinner.  Yes, I know...go to Atlantide but it's just not the same for me.  I'm not into cooking for 1 so the SALT classes don't appeal.  And as opposed to Dr Ron above, I enjoy La Terrazza for breakfast and lunch buffet.  Or room service for breakfast when I need to get ready for an excursion.  The Grill for dinner is fun but I make them cook my steak.  However, the itinerary is my driving force thus I will be on the Spirit this fall.

Have sailed in a Vista once through Canada and while it was fine, I like my small Veranda.  Watching sail-in at dawn on the Dawn in St. Thomas this past January was great.  Just threw on robe, opened balcony door...ahhh.

I realize this is a Ss board but I really enjoyed Seabourn for 2 weeks in Alaska last year.  Food was top-notch, bourbon selection was good.  We had hosted tables every night for solos. 

Missy in Maryland (still awaiting Norway cruise...3 more weeks!)

A little bit different point of view here. My MO is to try ‘em all and see what I like. I’ve sailed on one Viking Ocean, one (fabulous) Crystal cruise before they went under (and appreciated all your comments on that line), 2 Silversea Expeditions, one Oceania and one Seabourn. Why not try it and see what you like? I have been able to find itineraries I like at a price point I can afford. Upcoming we have an Oceania Vista, a SS Nova, Seabourn Venture and a Regent Mariner TA booked. You’ll find that many on this board and others have found their “home away from home” cruise line. Like you, I’m still searching and I hope both you and I find that place. Until then Cruise well and enjoy every moment!

All good responses.  Can’t really add much other than to say that your requirements will be met on SS:  interesting places, very good food (not quite exceptional IMHO), martini in hand with jazz in the background.  The SS experience is mostly on par with Crystal but with a few differences.  Entertainment and enrichment was superior on Crystal but the standard suites are larger on SS.   Most of SS ships are newer and very elegant.  No annoying photographer.  I would not categorize either as an ultra luxury experience, though.  Now that you know you want to cruise in a certain manner I think your needs will be met on SS, SB or Regent so perhaps your focus could be on itinerary.  

We met on that Crystal cruise. Being Crystal refugees we have tried 2 SS cruises and one Regent.We liked both lines and agree with most of the comments here. Crystal definitely had better enrichment and entertainment and we recently did a 34 day cruise on SS so we noticed. Main dining room food was very good, bread was awful and wine selection was exceptional. The staff were fantastic.Entertainment on Regent was superior to Ss but that could just be the ship. We found the included excursions on both were quite good and there are some very good ones for an upcharge. I don’t think you can go wrong on either line but frankly, I’m waiting to see the reviews on New Crystal.

We found the basic balcony suites on both to be a good size with good storage.

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone who posted.  I did not expect much however go real detail.  I am impressed by the stream, writing skills and feedback.  When a person asks a question, it is their obligation to acknowledge and let folks know their final decision. That is simply good manners.  I will attempt to do that.

1. Watch YouTube Video:  This was the very first piece of advice I got.  Before I posted my questions, I reviewed lots of YouTube Videos.  They were extremally helpful.  
  2. Demographics:  It seems that at 63 and 65 respectively, my wife and I are "Youngsters" so some.  Yet our age is about the time many other choose this type of cruising. 
  3. Amenities: The emphasis and it did not surprise me was, much less grinding of guest to spend more money.  No need to have to use your cabin card for drinks. Most dining was complementary with the exception of one or two specialty restaurants.  Those had a fee.  Each of them was rated with the clear notion that dining/food is subjective. With few exceptions, other than the premium fee dining, reservation were not critical. The emphasis on complementary laundry was a key topic.  The classification of your stateroom or status with the brand made a difference there.  Makes complete sense. 
  4. Suggested Stateroom:  As I expected, this is a range with most folks about in the middle price range.  Seems when cruising at this level, the reality is the ports not the stateroom.  More important it is that everyone is treated the same when they leave their stateroom for the most part. 
  5. Fear of Investment:  Unfortunately the gap from every mainstream or premium VIP areas to Silverseas is quite the leap.  The terms, "You will never know until you do it." is very true but does not help the decision. Basically is it "Pay to Play" which takes a leap of faith.
  6. Comparison to other Similar Brands:  I found this to be most helpful especially when comparing to Crystal Cruise which I sailed.  

My initial conclusions, right or wrong:

• The obvious key is the Itinerary you want to cruise. 
  • Dining and personalized services will be a true enhancement to Mainstream cruise brands. 
  • Not the ships for after 11 pm activates and the entertainment is well not spectacular especially compared to other similar ships. 
  • Unlike other blogs focused on a brand, I never got the feeling anyone was so connected with this brand that they would never consider another brand.  It seems to always be itinerary focused.  For me, not having the unrealistic fanatical brand fans was refreshing.  

Thank you to everyone.  You have given me food for thought.  I will leave you now with a sense of true appreciation for your words.  When I make a decision, I hope you will allow me to connect back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Always surprising how excited folks get about “free” laundry!

That is because we are used to NEVER having this benefit.  Add to that, how excited folks that only go Mainstream are for complementary in-suite beverage set-up.  We have been programed.  

You sound most interested in the classic ship experience, but you might want to consider an expedition cruise if you like more enrichment and outdoor activities. The clientele skews younger on these small ships, so you would be among a higher percentage of age-peers. As for investment, consider a repositioning cruise; these itineraries can be quite interesting while also less expensive relative to super popular destinations. That's how I tried my first Silversea cruise, and I was hooked. Now I tend to have 2 or 3 future cruises booked at any given time! While my travel is itinerary-focused, I do love the crew's attitudes. To a person, they always work hard to make sure the passengers have a great experience.

• Like 2

Gary, I remember you asking questions prior to your Seabourn cruise.   Having read a few posts on this thread, agree that drron's post is great.  My advice regarding SS.  Do not book anything that was built before Muse.  You're not an expedition type, so forget that part.  Currently on Endeavor and it is the closest thing to luxury in the SS fleet.....by far!

Personally, I'm swapping out SB and SS for Explora.  I'm guessing you have a booking on Explora, too.

Edited by saminina
  • Thanks 1

Once again,  it is a question of personal preference!  We sailed 3 times (twice on World Cruises) on the Lady Whisper and loved her!  We are  booked on the 2024 World Cruise on the Silver Shadow  (the Lady Whisper's sister ship)  because we enjoy that size ship.  Our preference.  Please decide what is most important to you as cruisers!  Other's preferences may not align with yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

I believe it was a crystal cruise! 😁

Nancy

@nancygp You are exactly correct Nancy.  I learned all I could, went on Crystal and had a OK but not great time.  The real issue want not Crystal, it was the itinerary, just coming off the pandemic and a few very entitled people. As I said in my review of Crystal, that is the kind of experience I would want in a Port driven cruise in Europe.  Not the Caribbean.  I also learned a lot with that research.  One thing I learned it I have NO IDEA what a real butler or personalized service was like until I went on Crystal.  

I am gun shy to try them again for obvious reasons.  So I am looking at Silver Seas and Regent.  As I step up to a much nicer cruising experience, I am starting with Oceania.  Thank you for remembering me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@nancygp You are exactly correct Nancy.  I learned all I could, went on Crystal and had a OK but not great time.  The real issue want not Crystal, it was the itinerary, just coming off the pandemic and a few very entitled people. As I said in my review of Crystal, that is the kind of experience I would want in a Port driven cruise in Europe.  Not the Caribbean.  I also learned a lot with that research.  One thing I learned it I have NO IDEA what a real butler or personalized service was like until I went on Crystal.  

I am gun shy to try them again for obvious reasons.  So I am looking at Silver Seas and Regent.  As I step up to a much nicer cruising experience, I am starting with Oceania.  Thank you for remembering me.  

I  certainly remember your Serenity Bahama cruise when crystal restarted.  I was a frequent and exclusive crystal cruisers as well as well as an active participant on the crystal cc board since 2004.  Since crystal ceased operations, I’ve sailed seabourn several times with more booked.  It’s a good fit for myself and DH

cruise well and good luck with your research,

NANCY

Just now, nancygp said:

I  certainly remember your Serenity Bahama cruise when crystal restarted.  I was a frequent and exclusive crystal cruisers as well as well as an active participant on the crystal cc board since 2004.  Since crystal ceased operations, I’ve sailed seabourn several times with more booked.  It’s a good fit for myself and DH

cruise well and good luck with your research,

NANCY

@nancygp You were always so kind to me.  You opinion has great value.  I think in this one short stream, I have gotten every thing I need.  Thank you again. 

• Thanks 1