Unlimited Laundry - pre-order or on board?

sandjb

I'm planning a 7-day trip on the Nieuw Statendam and noticed I can pre-order unlimited laundry service on the website for $73.50 for the seven days (priced per stateroom, which is great). However, I am assuming if I pre-order that now, it will charge my credit card. The thing is, we're going to have some extra OBC that I am not sure what else we'd use it on. So if we just wait to get the laundry package on the ship, can I use my OBC for that? And if I wait to order the laundry package on the ship, can I expect the price to still be at or around the $73.50 it is to pre-order?

Yes the $73.50 seems high for a 7 day. I thought the new price was $9 per day, making it $63 for a 7 day.  They really have increased the price.  I guess we shouldn't be bragging on here about how great the laundry service is.  I saw a post recently stating "by the bag" option at $35 per bag.  For us 1-2x per week was plenty of clean laundry.  You can stuff that bag really full...

For 7 days I would use the all you can fit bag.  At least try it first.  It is incredible how much you can fit in one of those bags.  People report the bag costs $30 but in some locations it is only $20.  Same service , different pricing  

4 hours ago, sandjb said:

I'm planning a 7-day trip on the Nieuw Statendam and noticed I can pre-order unlimited laundry service on the website for $73.50 for the seven days (priced per stateroom, which is great).

You didn't say where you are cruising. On my February 2024 7-day Caribbean cruise, the laundry is now priced at $59.50. The price is usually higher for European cruises.

31 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

For 7 days I would use the all you can fit bag.  At least try it first.  It is incredible how much you can fit in one of those bags.  People report the bag costs $30 but in some locations it is only $20.  Same service , different pricing  

The cruise is 7 days but we've got 4-5 days before the cruise and two after in the home port. We like to pack a week's worth of clothes so we'll be about ready to do some laundry when we get on the ship. Then if we have unlimited, we don't have to worry about stretching out anything near the end of the cruise with a few days still left to go.

6 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You didn't say where you are cruising. On my February 2024 7-day Caribbean cruise, the laundry is now priced at $59.50. The price is usually higher for European cruises.

This is a cruise to Norway, out of Copenhagen. 

Correct if you book it now, you pay now and that you can use OBC once onboard to pay for - the price will be the same; no discount for pre-paying.

For years we paid $49 unlimited, $20/bag. Feb this year on Nieuw Amsterdam was $49 unlimited, $20/bag. But May (last month) Eurodam was $30/bag, $59.50 unlimited. 

Yes, prices have recently gone up and are different based on itinerary  (Europe is higher than US), so you could expect to pay any price you've seen on this thread depending on where you're going.

I LOVE HALs laundry service-they do great job and take pride in their work, so almost any amount is worth it.

We really like taking home all clean clothes so unpacking is a breeze.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Two years ago I skipped buying it ahead of time, and then discovered aboard the Eurodam that the unlimited price had gone up by $10(IIRC) 

in that case if I had purchased it ahead I’d have paid the old price and I suspect no one would come after me for the difference once onboard lol

20 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

Two years ago I skipped buying it ahead of time, and then discovered aboard the Eurodam that the unlimited price had gone up by $10(IIRC) 

in that case if I had purchased it ahead I’d have paid the old price and I suspect no one would come after me for the difference once onboard lol

No they would not - that's the benefit of prey paying - you lock in that price. 🤭

We have little  wash to do usually a  bag a  week  ,Thus us why , I can wash my  poly & poly cotton sirts my self  in the shower ,same with my boxer bathing suits ,so I just have socks & under wear  ,Ny GW has a bitt more with her blouses need pressing  . We roll every thing as tight as possible   to fit what we need washed & pressed .  So even on a 25 day cruise we would have 5   bags id wash  , 

Some year back I remember reading Rick Steves .He traveled all over Europe with a roll on & a sling over his shoulder , His secret was make as much as possible washable even underwear to quick dry type . On a very long cruise I would not take more than 3 pairs  of shoes ,usually I tsake just 2 pairs of good looking sneakers , what takes most of room in my carry on  are my electronics & cameras 

I am with you @mcrcruiser that 1 bag holds a lot of tightly rolled laundry. We have cut our clothing to about half and utilize laundry service on every cruise. We go home with all clean clothes except for what we travel in on the last day. Makes unpacking so much better - from suitcase to closet w/ no detour to laundry room! Added benefit of no concern about pesky luggage fees due to the extra clothes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I am with you @mcrcruiser that 1 bag holds a lot of tightly rolled laundry. We have cut our clothing to about half and utilize laundry service on every cruise. We go home with all clean clothes except for what we travel in on the last day. Makes unpacking so much better - from suitcase to closet w/ no detour to laundry room! Added benefit of no concern about pesky luggage fees due to the extra clothes.

And then there is that little smile you get on your face when you find a HAL laundry tag on your clothes some months later!

• Haha 1