Crab Shack Is Back

sirclean

Today (on Sapphire Princes) we enjoyed "The First Crab Shack Of the Season"! 

We sailed last week as well, and it was not available.

It was not well advertised, and it was not full today.  However, once the word gets out, I m sure that others, who like me were looking forward to it, will fill them up!

So, at least on Sapphire Princess, It is Back!!! 

$30 and nice, and very filling!

• Like 6

Any chance you took a picture of the menu?  Or could tell us what was on it, roughly? I can't imagine that King Crab is on it given that the King crabbing season has been shut down.  Maybe Dungeness? 

It's actually on Princess.com as being "back".  see below.

It looks like today was your "scenic cruising" day.  I'm on the Crown in a few weeks.  I'll be scouring the Patter for any sign that they are having it.

"Seafood lovers, the Shack is back! This fan favorite returns in Alaska in all its shell-cracking glory with casual seafood options you won’t want to miss. Tuck into a four-course meal of whatever tickles those taste buds – popcorn shrimp, clam chowder, even an Alaska-inspired steamer pot full of crab legs, shrimp, clams and mussels. You’ll find this pop-up dining event in the World Fresh Marketplace on select ships.

Available on the Discovery Princess®, Majestic Princess®, Royal Princess®, Crown Princess®, Ruby Princess®, Grand Princess®, and Sapphire Princess® on Alaska voyages."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think that it is on Formal Nights. 

There was hush puppies and "popcorn shrimp", but the latter was similar to hush puppies, but they would have shrimp pieces in them.

They also had a basket of garlic bread, which was well cooked and crunchy.  (And very good).

There were 2 kinds of soup, but they were very similar. The Clam Chowder was the base, and the Alaska Seafood soup had the same base, but included a crab claw and a big shrimp.  Both kinds were served in a bread bowl, which was nice.

The crab bowls were similar. They had a 1/2 crab set of legs with the claw.  Im sorry I dont know my crabs well enough to know what kind it was.  One was heavier on shrimp and clams, and he other had muscles and clams with the crab. They also had very nice potatoes.  (I think that one should have had corn on the cob, but I dont remember seeing it). 

There is a third choice, for 2 people that includes a whole lobster I think. 

Additional pots of crab are $10.  (The added charge is $30 to participate). 

The menu called for the desert to be Key Lime Pie or Strawberry Shortcake.  However, they didnt have those available today. I think that these are supposed to be served in a glass. 

It was very good!  The seafood was very fresh.  In fact, as I was asked if this was limited to the Alaska ships, the manager said it was to ensure that they had fresh seafood for them!

I was NOT disappointed!  I hope that you find it and partake! 

(I suggested that they ask the Wake Show to talk about it, as today was not a sell out event!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sirclean said:

I think that it is on Formal Nights. 

There was hush puppies and "popcorn shrimp", but the latter was similar to hush puppies, but they would have shrimp pieces in them.

They also had a basket of....

Formal nights with that mess?

@Coral has reported back that Rachel Moreno's talk on her voyage was uploaded for viewing in the cabin along with a number of other naturalists presenters.  Now if we can get some officers to attend the M&G we can let them know it's important to us that they continue that practice. 

5 minutes ago, miagirl said:

@Coral has reported back that Rachel Moreno's talk on her voyage was uploaded for viewing in the cabin along with a number of other naturalists presenters.  Now if we can get some officers to attend the M&G we can let them know it's important to us that they continue that practice. 

whoops!  sorry wrong thread!

2 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

I'm pretty sure the menu from 2018 is outdated. Back then, there were no shortages and sky rocketing prices for Alaska King Crab. Don't think King Crab is on the menu now. Not for 30$ upcharge.

On our recent visit to Alaska we noticed that a single Jumbo Red King Crab Leg was priced at $119.95 at a local restaurant.  And that price was just for the crab leg and did not include sides, drink, tax or tip.  An entire King Crab was priced at $179.95.  So no, you will not see that onboard at the crab-shack or anywhere else.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On our recent visit to Alaska we noticed that a single Jumbo Red King Crab Leg was priced at $119.95 at a local restaurant.  And that price was just for the crab leg and did not include sides, drink, tax or tip.  An entire King Crab was priced at $179.95.  So no, you will not see that onboard at the crab-shack or anywhere else.  

Hank

WHat port was this and which restaurant?  EVen at that price - we may spring for it.  Thanks Hank  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

WHat port was this and which restaurant?  EVen at that price - we may spring for it.  Thanks Hank  

It was in Ketchikan on May 8.  I do not remember the name of the restaurant (it was in a shopping center near the port) but, there are plenty of places in that town that have crabs.  The only picture I took (that day) was of the posted menu with those prices.  My understanding is that there has been a moratorium on crabbing (for the commercial boats) which has caused a major crab shortage.  Hence the ridiculous prices.  A few weeks prior (in April) we were in Japan where there was plenty of crabs with much more reasonable prices.  In fact, one day when I was just walking around Kyoto, we were walking through a large pedestrian shopping area when I stopped at a large fish shop where they had really nice large fried crab legs for about $5.  I am not sure if they were from King Crab or another very large type, but I had one for lunch (yummy). 

I think it was in 1999 that I was in Anchorage and stopped in a local bar/restaurant for dinner.  I had a huge King Crab leg with all the sides and beer for about $50.  Those days are gone...for now.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It was in Ketchikan on May 8.  I do not remember the name of the restaurant (it was in a shopping center near the port) but, there are plenty of places in that town that have crabs.  The only picture I took (that day) was of the posted menu with those prices.  My understanding is that there has been a moratorium on crabbing (for the commercial boats) which has caused a major crab shortage.  Hence the ridiculous prices.  A few weeks prior (in April) we were in Japan where there was plenty of crabs with much more reasonable prices.  In fact, one day when I was just walking around Kyoto, we were walking through a large pedestrian shopping area when I stopped at a large fish shop where they had really nice large fried crab legs for about $5.  I am not sure if they were from King Crab or another very large type, but I had one for lunch (yummy). 

I think it was in 1999 that I was in Anchorage and stopped in a local bar/restaurant for dinner.  I had a huge King Crab leg with all the sides and beer for about $50.  Those days are gone...for now.

Hank

THanks Hank.  I have heard that all the King Crabs come from Russia now.  I will check the Ketchikan restaurants. 

after looking at crab pictures, they are Not snow crabs, but dungeoness (spelling).

the price was $30 each, with another $10 if you got a second pot.

There is a pot with lobster, but you have to share it with someone, and I didnt see one.

The initial soups (in bread bowls) were, as I noted very similar, but the one with the crab claw and shrimp was better (though the bases were the same).

Another Followup.

I reported initially that they were on formal nights, but I find that they are on Sea Days. (I was thinking that formal nights were on sea days, but I find that is not always the case).

We are in Juneau today.  The line outside Tracy's  Crab Shack is LONG!! 

They are charging about $70 a pound for King or Golden Crab, but the line is long, so it must be a fair price!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sirclean said:

Another Followup.

I reported initially that they were on formal nights, but I find that they are on Sea Days. (I was thinking that formal nights were on sea days, but I find that is not always the case).

We are in Juneau today.  The line outside Tracy's  Crab Shack is LONG!! 

They are charging about $70 a pound for King or Golden Crab, but the line is long, so it must be a fair price!

Screenshot_20230611-162156.thumb.png.fe40825ebc8a3856acc0c841640d69e7.png

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

People on vacation often don’t really care if something is reasonably priced or not.  If it’s on your checklist of things to do, that often outweighs the price.  I can tell you all about it as I continue my planning for Disney World in September!  😢

$70 isn’t too outrageous though.  Costco’s selling it for $50/lb right now, so that’s a fairly reasonable price.  With the fosheries closed this year, I wonder where they’re getting it though.