Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

This and infinite verandahs aside, what are the other “many shortcomings”.

Reason I ask is we are trying out the Edge class first time next May and am keen to learn from your experiences from when you’ve sailed on that class. We have an IV room and despite negative reviews, we think we might enjoy it, time will tell. But what else should we expect as shortcomings, would really help manage our expectations.

I was reluctant to try the IV based on this board. We honestly enjoyed it and talked with other cruisers who shared in our opinion. As with everything in life there is give and take... we have booked an IV again on 2 more sailings and changed a sailing from an aft bal to an IV. Trust me, many like the concept they just aren't here reporting to CC. 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I was reluctant to try the IV based on this board. We honestly enjoyed it and talked with other cruisers who shared in our opinion. As with everything in life there is give and take... we have booked an IV again on 2 more sailings and changed a sailing from and aft bal to an IV. Trust me, many like the concept they just aren't here reporting to CC. 

Patty 

Thanks Patty, good to know. One thing that can be annoying with traditional balconies when you’re stood on them you can turn round and a neighbour is literally stood next to you so our impression is the IV won’t have that so more private. And hopefully quieter too as neighbours won’t be outside having loud conversations.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Thanks - good to have this background.

E-class is sort of a catch-22. The public spaces are beautiful, like works of art. But if what you really want is ocean views, E-class falls short.

Here's an example of a great memory that is not possible on Edge. In March, my wife and I were sitting at the Martini Bar on Millennium having drinks. Across the bar and through the floor-to-ceiling windows, we could see the sun setting on the ocean's horizon. Just as the sun disappeared, we saw a rare green flash.

This is just one small example of an otherwise difficult to explain lack of connection with the sea on Edge, particularly in public indoor spaces.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

This and infinite verandahs aside, what are the other “many shortcomings”.

Personally, I don't view the IV cabins as a shortcoming. They're beautiful cabins if you have no desire to be outside on a balcony. To me, the shortcoming is the fact that for certain stateroom categories like Concierge and Aqua classes, you have no choice other than an IV. That's unfortunate IMO.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RichYak said:

E-class is sort of a catch-22. The public spaces are beautiful, like works of art. But if what you really want is ocean views, E-class falls short.

Here's an example of a great memory that is not possible on Edge. In March, my wife and I were sitting at the Martini Bar on Millennium having drinks. Across the bar and through the floor-to-ceiling windows, we could see the sun setting on the ocean's horizon. Just as the sun disappeared, we saw a rare green flash.

This is just one small example of an otherwise difficult to explain lack of connection with the sea on Edge, particularly in public indoor spaces.

As I said earlier, we are excited to sail on the Edge which will be followed up in September with a trip on the Beyond, so this insight is really helpful. We will board the ship totally open minded but with some valuable insight from you all. On the Equinox my wife likes to sunbathe on deck 14 away from the poolside crowds on 12, from what we can see there is similar available on the Edge the deck above the pool. Is that correct?

Edited by C4HCG

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We agree.

.We got our Suite / Retreat on BEYOND by using up all our deferred FCCs.  Glad we did it..always wanted to try a suite but other than the larger cabin and priority on and off..not worth it for us. We  did not care for LUMINAE menu or layout  and thought the Retreat loung was wasted space. a The outdoor retreat area  was lovely but crowded other than on port days and " taken over" by various groups. Did not really need a butler to pamper us!

We enjoy E class ships..Our sweet spot on X has always been AQ Class ..and if those are priced too high a Sunset Ver is nice too with  the 4 mdrs..

no reason yet to switch cruise lines unless the VAPING becones pervasive!

We also did Retreat on the Beyond.

We felt Luminae was good, but no better than the 4 MDRs (we have done Apex & Edge as well).

Plus we did Chef's Table the 2nd night followed by Le Voyage the 3rd night...made Luminae feel pretty ordinary after that!

DH liked the lounge area (and able to grab a beer from the fridge! I liked the Retreat deck & pool; luckily ours was never crowded. But for the couple of hours on a sea day that I am there I can't justify the cost...and Eclass regular pool area is pretty spacious.

We aren't butler people either. 

But give me Eclass all the time! 

14 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

As I said earlier, we are excited to sail on the Edge which will be followed up in September with a trip on the Beyond, so this insight is really helpful. We will board the ship totally open minded but with some valuable insight from you all. On the Equinox my wife likes to sunbathe on deck 14 away from the poolside crowds on 12, from what we can see there is similar available on the Edge the deck above the pool. Is that correct?

This quick 1 minute video of a sped up lap around the jogging track will give you a good idea. There are various quieter areas with loungers away from the pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

This quick 1 minute video of a sped up lap around the jogging track will give you a good idea. There are various quieter areas with loungers away from the pool.

Thank you, that looks perfect. Did I spot a bar there too? We love walking round the track and do at least half an hour each day, and that walk looks more interesting than the Equinox one.

4 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Thank you, that looks perfect. Did I spot a bar there too? We love walking round the track and do at least half an hour each day, and that walk looks more interesting than the Equinox one.

I don't remember a bar, though it does pass around the rooftop grill and behind the sunset bar. It's a much nicer track than M or S class ships for sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Roof Top Terrace and also the Magic Carpet. E class ships have the best walking tracks of any class ships. 

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't remember a bar, though it does pass around the rooftop grill and behind the sunset bar. It's a much nicer track than M or S class ships for sure.

Agree E class ships have the best walking tracks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

1.  No Sky Lounge or forward looking view.

2.  Very few balconies.

3.  There are fewer bars on E class and they are larger and loud and shouty.  The martini bar on S class is much nicer than on E.  It is much easier to get a drink on S class.

4.  No Cellar Masters or World Class bar.

5.  There are very few windows while walking around the ship.  You do have views of the expensive stores.  Ugghh.

6.  You can easily take pictures from the lawn club while sailing into port from multiple angles.  The deck on E is obscured.

7.  The magic carpet is nice for excursions but it is overhyped as it is too windy when the ship is moving.

8. The specialty restaurants on E class tend to be more loud and shouty.  S class Muranos has rooms of rooms which are more intimate and quiet.

9.  I could add more but do not want to pile on.

Nothing speaks more eloquently than the vast wisdom gained from many years of experience(s). Arguably, the above condensed list demonstrates alleged shortcomings on Celebrity 'E' Class ships. Certainly, one must take note, and take heed. I will try, as best I can, to counter these comments with comments of my own pertinent to the E-Boats.

1. These ships are so versatile they allow me to stand on any open deck, or my IV, and look forward. That goes for port and starboard. And get this, all I have to do is turn around in the exact same spot and I can look backward. One side of the open ocean looks just like the other side of the open ocean. Imagine that.

2. But many very versatile and enjoyable Infinite Verandas. A new variation on an old theme. Nomenclature notwithstanding. To Infinity and Beyond.

3. Fewer bars equals less loud and shouty places. Patience equals nice and easy on any class ship. Personally, I prefer to imbibe at a lively watering hole with others who enjoy showing off their enjoyment. There is always quiet when I want it.

4. No World Class Bar on Edge and Apex. Beyond and Ascent will accommodate. You do have an 'E' choice.

5. Plenty of open air outside views, and inside/outside as well. Easy to find 'em. UGGII!

6. You can take beautiful pictures from your IV and many other places when sailing in to or out of any port.

7. Applicable if you booked your cruise "only" because of the Magic Carpet. Might have to question that rationale. I don't mind some wind on a nice day. It tests the "hold" capability of my hair spray.

8. Personally, I like to order my steak, loud and proud and medium rare. It tastes just as good whether or not accompanied by chatter.

9. Don't take my word for it. Give 'E' a try.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 7/26/2023 at 3:01 AM, mahdnc said:

This HAL itinerary is tempting: 42 night round trip from Ft Lauderdale which includes two transatlantics, Morocco, Tunisia, Portugal, Italy (incl overnights at Livorno and Civitavecchia), Greece, Gibraltar, Israel (2 ports), and Egypt (2 ports)

(link)

We have a conflicting cruise (with other people), otherwise we'd gave canceled and booked this. I hope they run it again. 

Edited by xamsx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Please pile on, be good to understand the full list of potential things we won’t like. Of the ones you’ve listed so far 1 and 2 we knew about, 3 to 8 reckon we can live with but we’ll see.

thank you.

10.  Grandiosity.  S class has a view to the sky in the public areas.  E class has a view of individual ceilings.

11.  On S class you feel like you are at sea.  On E class you feel like you are crusing inside of a strip mall.  On S class when I was not on the balcony (real balcony) and I was in other parts of the ship I had the at sea experience about 80% of the time.  On E class it was about 30 or less%.  Very few views from inside and not as many exits to go to the outside and walk around.

12.  E class has several hundred more people on board.  In the OVC they expanded it but it still feels crowded.  

13.  In Eden I had a difficult time finding a seat in the evening as it was crowded.  In the martini bar I also had a difficult time finding a seat.

14.  I view E class as the first step in the Royalfication of Celebrity.

15.  No usable libraries on E class.  S class has libraries and plenty of quiet areas to chill and relax.

In summary I would describe S class as quiet and refined vs E class crowded loud and shouty.  S class At Sea vibe vs E class sailing in the Hellen Keller strip mall with a lack of outward facing views.  S class as having more smaller and quieter public areas.  E class as having fewer and larger public areas and more loud and shouty.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

10.  Grandiosity.  S class has a view to the sky in the public areas.  E class has a view of individual ceilings.

11.  On S class you feel like you are at sea.  On E class you feel like you are crusing inside of a strip mall.  On S class when I was not on the balcony (real balcony) and I was in other parts of the ship I had the at sea experience about 80% of the time.  On E class it was about 30 or less%.  Very few views from inside and not as many exits to go to the outside and walk around.

12.  E class has several hundred more people on board.  In the OVC they expanded it but it still feels crowded.  

13.  In Eden I had a difficult time finding a seat in the evening as it was crowded.  In the martini bar I also had a difficult time finding a seat.

15.  No usable libraries on E class.  S class has libraries and plenty of quiet areas to chill and relax.

In summary I would describe S class as quiet and refined vs E class crowded loud and shouty.  S class At Sea vibe vs E class sailing in the Hellen Keller strip mall with a lack of outward facing views.  S class as having more smaller and quieter public areas.  E class as having fewer and larger public areas.

I don't know what to do with this. Perhaps there is more to come.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

In summary I would describe S class as quiet and refined vs E class crowded loud and shouty.  S class At Sea vibe vs E class sailing in the Hellen Keller strip mall with a lack of outward facing views.  S class as having more smaller and quieter public areas.  E class as having fewer and larger public areas and more loud and shouty.

Thank you - nothing deal breaking there for us but we will see.  

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Over the years we have seen many whales spouting,  dolphins following the ship,  beautiful sunsets all while walking around or sitting in public areas of the ship.  Not to mention the beautiful sunsets.  Mostly on S class.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the views on E...

Edited by NMTraveller

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Over the years we have seen many whales spouting,  dolphins following the ship,  beautiful sunsets all while walking around or sitting in public areas of the ship.  Not to mention the beautiful sunsets.  Mostly on S class.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the views on E...

It is a known fact, whales, dolphins and other sea creatures do not like E-class ships and will not sacrifice their blow holes in order to be viewed from those vessels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I don't know what to do with this. Perhaps there is more to come.

Take it with a grain of salt and go with an open mind. 😉

We've sailed Edge and  Apex multiple times and once on Beyond with another Beyond cruise coming up.

We love the E class, our experiences have been totally positive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

It is a known fact, whales, dolphins and other sea creatures do not like E-class ships and will not sacrifice their blow holes in order to be viewed from those vessels. 

Here is your view of the spouting whales and dolphins on E class.  Enjoy the sea life 🙂 🙂 

Cartier opens its largest boutique in Harrods

Edited by NMTraveller

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is your view of the spouting whales and dolphins on E class.  Enjoy the sea life 🙂 🙂 

Totally agree with each and every comment you have made. 
Also it’s interesting to note that the post above this is in loud, bold font. Pretty much sums them up and their love of Edge.

We also are losing our beloved Silhouette and getting Apex here in the UK next year. Not something that we’re looking forward to and these are certainly first world problems.

IV’s aside, Ben and David who we follow on YouTube commented on the Wonder of the Seas that there were no sea views either.

Edited by swjumbo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Verging on to the ridiculous now. If we want to watch the sea and the world go by we go to an outdoor area on the Equinox, we will do the same on the Edge. We use the inside areas evening and night.  You are unwittingly giving us more and more confidence that we will love Edge class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Totally agree with each and every comment you have made. 
Also it’s interesting to note that the post above this is in loud, bold font. Pretty much sums them up and their love of Edge.

We also are losing our beloved Silhouette and getting Apex here in the UK next year. Not something that we’re looking forward to and these are certainly first world problems.

IV’s aside, Ben and David who we follow on YouTube commented on the Wonder of the Seas that there were no sea views either.

And the Equinox in Europe depriving us who enjoy sailing her in the Caribbean in the summer. So you’re not restricted just to the Apex, unless you don’t fly of course.

20 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Verging on to the ridiculous now. If we want to watch the sea and the world go by we go to an outdoor area on the Equinox, we will do the same on the Edge. We use the inside areas evening and night.  You are unwittingly giving us more and more confidence that we will love Edge class.

Not really.  We have different cruising styles.  I prefer to be by a window watching the sea.  Even when walking around the ship or by the bar.  Show me a window in the Martini Bar on E class.  I can tell you that I would have missed most of the sea life if there were not windows.  The sea life does not wait for you to go outside.   You do not know what you are missing.  You increase your probability of seeing sea life by having more windows and opportunities.  I have heard people say that you will not see a spouting whale on  your Alaska cruise.  We did on our first cruise.

I also sit by a window as it is calming and relaxing...

Edited by NMTraveller

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Not really.  We have different cruising styles.  I prefer to be by a window watching the sea.  Even when walking around the ship or by the bar.  Show me a window in the Martini Bar on E class.  I can tell you that I would have missed most of the sea life if there were not windows.  The sea life does not wait for you to go outside.  You increase your probability of seeing sea life by having more windows and opportunities.

Different styles you are right. Viewing sea life is nice but nowhere near the top of cruise priorities but clearly it is yours, each to their own.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

To be fair, that was an in-kind response was to a completely ridiculous poster. The point is that to "watch the sea and world go by" you cannot do that in most indoor public spaces that you enjoy anyway. It's just different, more like a floating hotel than a ship. You asked where E-class falls short and IMO that's a big one. Either way, I can assure you that you won't have a bad time.

• Like 2