Sydney Nova Scotia port

Karen Lynn

Any thoughts on what to see? Would like to do part of the Cabot trail but Celebrity’s shorex is sold out and independent tour is 7 hours also. We’re on port for 8 hours. Not much wiggle room ! With cruiseline tours we’d be ok but without them , maybe not so much. 
that said , is it worth seeing some of the trail? 

A Louisbourg Fortress your is as well as a visit to Baddeck Town and the Bell Museum . I presume the ships tour to Cabot Trail is to Ingonish which is doable privately. The drivers and guides are vey aware of ship times. The flexibility here is the length of time for lunch. It would be shorter on a private tour rather than waiting for groups

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rent a car and go to Glace Bay to the Miner's museum.  It's great.  We then went to a lobster shipping place on the pier and asked them to boil us 4 lobsters which we ate on a nearby picnic table.  Excellent day.

16 minutes ago, sprockie said:

Rent a car and go to Glace Bay to the Miner's museum.  It's great.  We then went to a lobster shipping place on the pier and asked them to boil us 4 lobsters which we ate on a nearby picnic table.  Excellent day.

We are considering Glace Bay on the way back from Louisburg - the Marconi museum (where the  trans Atlantic cable came asshore ) looked  interesting too 

DH and I will cruising here Fall 2023. I’ve found Sydney & Cape Breton Taxi Tours and will be using them for a customized private tour. They have been extremely pleasant to work with thus far and we SO look forward to the amazing adventure they’ve helped us create! Their website FAQ section is very informative or they’re just an email or telephone call away 🙂 Safe travels to all and happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, peace4pt said:

DH and I will cruising here Fall 2023. I’ve found Sydney & Cape Breton Taxi Tours and will be using them for a customized private tour. They have been extremely pleasant to work with thus far and we SO look forward to the amazing adventure they’ve helped us create! Their website FAQ section is very informative or they’re just an email or telephone call away 🙂 Safe travels to all and happy sailing.

We have booked them as well for our October trip.  A private tour for 4.   Let us know how it goes....we will do the same. 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:22 PM, lissie said:

We're hiring a car - this guide  is a little dated but will give you an idea of the distances - it looks like easy driving in the summer 

Toms Cape Breton Island Driving Tour Guide from Sydney, Nova Scotia Canada (tomsportguides.com)

Toms Sydney Nova Scotia Cruise Port Guide (tomsportguides.com)

OMG THANK YOU for posting the Toms Port Guides!!  Getting alot of ideas. 🙂

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, nycfa said:

OMG THANK YOU for posting the Toms Port Guides!!  Getting alot of ideas. 🙂

It's a very good resource - I've gone through and downloaded all the relevant ports that we are going to! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, peace4pt said:

I am hoping to do their taxi tour also, Trying to find 2 other people to join us.  

On 6/13/2023 at 8:01 PM, peace4pt said:

Do you have a link to their site? We're also looking to book. 😊 

On 6/21/2023 at 12:12 AM, CaribbeanBound said:

We did the miner's museum on a budget via local bus.

Is that far away from the docking location and was it good?  Not heard about it previously.

We have been there previously and went to Louisburg, so decided to just stay in Sydney this time, but would have plenty of time for a short trip to somewhere a bit further away, as well as doing the town since not much there.  Did you find out about the bus before you went, or at the port building.