Moving to another country via cruise ship

Momo71

Hi group. I have the same basic question, but I need different information. I am an expat living in Panama, sold my home and am moving back to the states Florida / Ft lauderdale. Immigration / visas etc are not part of my question. Royal Caribbean has a 1 way Panama to ft lauderdale. I have 6-8 suitcases (which I do not think is an issue. But many boxes (like what might have gone in a hold in then old days) I can pack my paintings, collectibles in boxes that can fit through the door to a cabin. NO Furniture.... I can't seem to get any definitive from the cruise line as to if I can fill my room with my stuff. Yes, prob fill the room..... I also don;'t want to show up at the port and be turned away. any information would be greatly appreciated. And if Royal  is a no, maybe princess would let me on halfway through ntheir Ft lauf - Panama - Ft laud cruise..... I am flexible on the ship, but it is all about my stuff... Thanks for the comments

17 minutes ago, PanamaSteve said:

Hi group. I have the same basic question, but I need different information. I am an expat living in Panama, sold my home and am moving back to the states Florida / Ft lauderdale. Immigration / visas etc are not part of my question. Royal Caribbean has a 1 way Panama to ft lauderdale. I have 6-8 suitcases (which I do not think is an issue. But many boxes (like what might have gone in a hold in then old days) I can pack my paintings, collectibles in boxes that can fit through the door to a cabin. NO Furniture.... I can't seem to get any definitive from the cruise line as to if I can fill my room with my stuff. Yes, prob fill the room..... I also don;'t want to show up at the port and be turned away. any information would be greatly appreciated. And if Royal  is a no, maybe princess would let me on halfway through ntheir Ft lauf - Panama - Ft laud cruise..... I am flexible on the ship, but it is all about my stuff... Thanks for the comments

I would talk to a real person with a name and get the nitty gritty. As you say, you don't want to show up and .... 

PS: I love that you have art and collectibles. So do we 🙂

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, clo said:

I would talk to a real person with a name and get the nitty gritty. As you say, you don't want to show up and .... 

PS: I love that you have art and collectibles. So do we 🙂

So far I have spoken to Customer service and after cruise member support. Got nowhere concrete.

Edited by PanamaSteve

Princesses ' contract of carriage includes the following text: 

You may take a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing only Your personal effects, which shall include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and other personal effects necessary for the Cruise....

Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in section 30503 of Title 46 of the United States Code.

That would seem to both limit the quantity and content of what you wish to transport.

Safe Travels!

4 hours ago, PanamaSteve said:

So far I have spoken to Customer service and after cruise member support. Got nowhere concrete.

I don't believe you'll be able to accomplish what you're suggesting using a cruise line.  Maybe switch your search to cargo ships that carry passengers and book passage for you and all your goods to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not sure that any container ships have restarted passenger service since Covid.

After I posted, I went looking to see whether I could find anything.  As you say, it seems this is something that covid closed down and there is no apparent schedule to start up again.

19 hours ago, PanamaSteve said:

I think you need to bite the bullet and contact a shipping outfit to pick up your household goods -  I doubt any cruise line would accept that sort of material - or provide the sort of stevedoring at each end;  and what would you do with all that when you came to debark.

On a somewhat related note, I have been on a HAL sailing from Quebec to New York, which continued down to Fort Lauderdale - a number of Canadian snowbirds were on board heading down for several months in Florida — who had huge numbers of suitcases, trunks and duffels with them;  also Autumn T/A’s carrying Europeans to their winter residences in Florida - also essentially “moving to another country by cruise ship”.