Is Isafjordur ALWAYS CANCELLED????

ALWAYS? No, of course not. We were there in July last summer, no problem. Isafjordur is a relatively small port, ONLY the SMALLER cruise ships dock there...most have to tender. There have been discussions here about the IMPROVEMENT of the port, and what ships get to dock there. Maybe that long awaited improvement project is UNDERWAY.

Immediately below, as I write this, is a related thread on the topic.

A note...writing in all caps is considered yelling and against Cruise Critic rules.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TwinMom123 said:

As of now it is closed through June, possibly reopening in July but they will have more info June 20th. Get the info from the port directly and not your cruise line. 

We'll hopefully be there in August (as I wrote in the other thread just below). I truly hope that the improvements will be completed by then, and of course the weather cooperates.

Could you please post the url for the port to get further information?

32 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We'll hopefully be there in August (as I wrote in the other thread just below). I truly hope that the improvements will be completed by then, and of course the weather cooperates.

Could you please post the url for the port to get further information?

I will try and find it for you! Are you cursing on NCL Prima by chance? I got this information from the NCL Prima FB group. Port times online do not match up to what NCL is showing and time and time again the port times have been correct and NCL has waited until boarding to alert the guests!! So frustrating. We sail June 25th and our stops in Iceland are early July so I am hoping we make it, I really wanted to see the Puffins!! 

• Like 1

They are expanding the dock

There have been very strong winds that make current docking options non-tenable.

We loved Isafjordur, best seafood restaurant we have ever eaten at is there.  Do Iceland as a land trip, it's really easy to drive there.  

2 hours ago, TwinMom123 said:

I will try and find it for you! Are you cursing on NCL Prima by chance? I got this information from the NCL Prima FB group. Port times online do not match up to what NCL is showing and time and time again the port times have been correct and NCL has waited until boarding to alert the guests!! So frustrating. We sail June 25th and our stops in Iceland are early July so I am hoping we make it, I really wanted to see the Puffins!! 

Yes, we are on the August 6th cruise.

And neither of us has a Facebook account.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

They are expanding the dock

There have been very strong winds that make current docking options non-tenable.

We loved Isafjordur, best seafood restaurant we have ever eaten at is there.  Do Iceland as a land trip, it's really easy to drive there.  

We actually have been to Iceland, at least Reykjavik by land.

We have what I hope will be a very interesting private excursion booked in Isjadorfur. Really hoping we make it for that.

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We actually have been to Iceland, at least Reykjavik by land.

We have what I hope will be a very interesting private excursion booked in Isjadorfur. Really hoping we make it for that.

I hope you make it, too!

If there is any way you can make a reservation at Tjöruhúsið | Ferdalag.is, DO SO, assuming you like seafood.  Book in advance

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, NCL has issues with following itineraries and caution needs to be exercised in choosing them for port focused itineraries.

In March of 2022, NCL ran a ship aground in the DR.  There is a nearby port, Amber Cove, which can only hold two ships and is owned by Carnival.  If the carnival ships (which include princess and HAL) weren't using both berths, they rented them out to NCL.  People found out about the problems not by being informed by NCL but by the private vendors in the Dominican Republic when they contacted them to inquire about  tours.  The private tour companies asked customers if they were sure they were docking, and told them they'd get full refunds if they don't dock.  There were already 2 carnival owned ships scheduled for our day in the DR, so people were concerned on the roll call.  The DR port was canceled and the morning of another port were cancelled in December of 2022 due to environment reasons.  After the cancellations, NCL continued to market and sell this cruise with the original itinerary.  They refused to let anyone switch to a different date in which the ship could dock in Amber cove, even passengers who purchased their cruise directly from NCL after the DR was cancelled and weren't informed of those changes.  This was a cruise leaving from NY, but it seems like something like this would really run afoul of consumer protections in Europe so I would imagine nothing gets cancelled in advance there.  

Itinerary problems were also reported on Panama Canal cruises (an overnight in Panama switched to late night visit too late to actually see the locks in action and the ports of Costa Rica and Nicaragua cancelled due to safety reasons being replaced by Acapulco and Jamaica).  The spirit in Alaska lost the inside passage.  On none of these cruises were passengers allowed to reschedule, since all itinerary changes were made after final payment.

Edited by kitkat343

1 hour ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Our friends are on todays sailing on prima and heard about skipping the port. Our sailing is august 17, so I’m really hoping we get to this port stop.

🤞 for you, and I hope you do the same for us. We are on the August 6th cruise. We will be clearing the ship so you can board.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.19d99ac86d092e7bdbb36b84d764c706.png

Viking Ocean ships are on the smaller side (1000 pax) and the pier they are at is the one that had been was announced was gonna be extended a few years back. If it is in use today this suggests work NOT underway.  https://www.cruiseeurope.com/news/news-isafjordur-1613379438/

I'll report back after my up coming visit on SATURN ....

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is that a small ship that would not have to tender?

Yes, it is small with  930 passengers.  We would have docked there last year but a storm would have delayed our arrival and the captain decided to skip the port.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

image.thumb.png.19d99ac86d092e7bdbb36b84d764c706.png

Viking Ocean ships are on the smaller side (1000 pax) and the pier they are at is the one that had been was announced was gonna be extended a few years back. If it is in use today this suggests work NOT underway.  https://www.cruiseeurope.com/news/news-isafjordur-1613379438/

I'll report back after my up coming visit on SATURN ....

I'll await your report.

15 minutes ago, dd57 said:

Yes, it is small with  930 passengers.  We would have docked there last year but a storm would have delayed our arrival and the captain decided to skip the port.

Yes, that is what I figured, quite different from a ship of 3000+ passengers.

I'm on the Prima in 2 weeks.  Should I expect to not stop at this port?  I already booked a private excursion so kind of important to know if we are stopping are not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snate said:

I'm on the Prima in 2 weeks.  Should I expect to not stop at this port?  I already booked a private excursion so kind of important to know if we are stopping are not.  

As I wrote in answer to you in the NCL forum, they do not seem to want to tender.

And we too have a private tour booked there.

In addition to what I wrote in the other forum, I e-mailed our tour operator and she had no information as to when the work might be finished as to make it a non-tender port for larger ships or what the Prima was doing.

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

Costa is there today .... tendering

image.png.9f897668cf015825c6f8867d03a99c9f.png

~ 950 ft . . 

That only means it can be done, not that NCL will be willing to do it.

I do imagine they are getting more and more complaints.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, PhillyTravelBug said:

Our friends are on todays sailing on prima and heard about skipping the port. Our sailing is august 17, so I’m really hoping we get to this port stop.

We are also on that same sailing and I am now getting worried about missing this port.  I am also now feeling more and more disappointed with the negative reviews.  

• Like 1