Passport card ok?

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Well, you said it yourself, your parents are in their 70s.  I'm 71 and wouldn't think of traveling anywhere outside of the U.S.A. without an actual Passport Book and carrying it with us, everywhere we go.  The older we get the odds go up exponentially for a health emergency.  I'd never forgive myself if my wife had a medical emergency that required immediate evacuation back to the U.S. and was held up by the bureaucracy of getting clearance to fly back to the U.S. and her condition got worse or even..............   

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I think, is you also have to have a Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver's license if you are going to use a Birth Certificate.

Well said!

A few years ago my mother at 86 was adamant about renewing her passport; she wouldn't ever think of being without a valid passport.

• Like 5

On 6/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, rmzlvacationers said:

Taking my parents (in their 70's) on a cruise.  They want to save money and only get the passport card not book.  We are going on Anthem 7 day out of Cape Liberty to Orlando, CocoCay, and Nassau. I have researched and found that it seems to be okay, just means they could not fly back should they encounter some emergency. Any other reasons I should be aware of to justify the added expense or should I let them get the card?

Consider each choice's capabilities: 

Passport -- Allows you to travel to other countries and to fly internationally, but it's trouble to obtain (for a first passport, you must get an appointment and submit your paperwork in person now).  It's expensive, and it expires.  Because it's a book, it doesn't fit in your wallet and is cumbersome to carry.  

Passport book -- Only allows access to Mexico and Canada and the Caribbean.  You cannot fly internationally with a passport book.  Because it costs something and expires, yet it's not as useful as a passport, it seems like the worst choice to me.  

Birth certificate + ID -- Is "enough" for an American to sail on a closed-loop cruise (meaning you leave from America and return to America.  A very big benefit is that it's free (you almost certainly have a birth certificate in your file cabinet right now) and it's never going to expire, but you cannot fly home with a birth certificate.  The good news is that you're almost certainly not going to fly home.  

If I were advising your parents (assuming we're talking JUST about this cruise, not any other travel), I'd say forget the passport book.  Either go all the way for a passport or stick to the ease of the birth certificate + ID.  

It's absolutely true that any of us COULD need to fly home mid-cruise, but the chances are very, very small.  Consider that it's almost impossible to fly home mid-cruise:  you'd have to wait until you reach an island, then you'd have to hope the small island airports have a plane seat available for you.  And it'd be very expensive.  Realistically, unless you have a medical emergency and are evacuated, you're almost certainly not leaving the ship early. 

Do consider that travel insurance is just as important as the passport question.  

You should let your parents know the risks /costs of each choice and let them make their decision.  

On 6/13/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tatka said:

As long as you know risks and you seem to know. Passport only costs 100+ dollars and is good for 10 years.

More than $100 -- plus you may need to pay for a photograph or send away for a birth certificate (they keep it, so you wouldn't want to send away the birth certificate you have in your file cabinet right now).  And it's some trouble to obtain.  

Screenshot 2023-06-14 8.54.32 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Passport book -- Only allows access to Mexico and Canada and the Caribbean.  You cannot fly internationally with a passport book.  Because it costs something and expires, yet it's not as useful as a passport, it seems like the worst choice to me.  

Birth certificate + ID -- Is "enough" for an American to sail on a closed-loop cruise (meaning you leave from America and return to America.  A very big benefit is that it's free (you almost certainly have a birth certificate in your file cabinet right now) and it's never going to expire, but you cannot fly home with a birth certificate.  The good news is that you're almost certainly not going to fly home.

You have to be careful with the Birth Certificate + ID option on closed loop cruises, as it is not acceptable on closed loop cruise that visits a country requiring passports, and has not waived them for cruise travelers.  I'll let smarter people than me list which countries/islands those are, but I believe it includes any of the French aligned Caribbean islands (not sure of the actual political structure/affiliations and hope I haven't offended anyone in ignorance), and some of the Central/South American countries (Columbia, maybe Panama and Costa Rica if not waived for cruise?). And I believe there are certain lines that require a passport via their own policies. So even if planning a closed loop cruise, one must check the requirements to make sure BC +ID is acceptable for that closed loop cruise.

I think you have confused the passport book and passport card in your post. The passport book is what allows international travel, and has pages for stamps. The passport card is what is good for domestic US flights, and land/sea crossings for US, Mexico, and Caribbean. I am not sure of its validity for sea crossings in French aligned Caribbean islands.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

More than $100 -- plus you may need to pay for a photograph or send away for a birth certificate (they keep it, so you wouldn't want to send away the birth certificate you have in your file cabinet right now).  And it's some trouble to obtain.  

They do keep the BC during processing, but the BC is returned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

... I think you have confused the passport book and passport card in your post. The passport book is what allows international travel, and has pages for stamps. The passport card is what is good for domestic ...

Yes, I meant to say PASSPORT and PASSPORT CARD.  

But my overall point was that the passport card is really not a great choice ... unless you happen to live on the Canadian or Mexican border and "drive over" occasionally.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, rmzlvacationers said:

Taking my parents (in their 70's) on a cruise.  They want to save money and only get the passport card not book.  We are going on Anthem 7 day out of Cape Liberty to Orlando, CocoCay, and Nassau. I have researched and found that it seems to be okay, just means they could not fly back should they encounter some emergency. Any other reasons I should be aware of to justify the added expense or should I let them get the card?

The hassle of getting the book or the card is the same. Have them get the book, even if you have to slide them a few bucks. For when they enjoy the cruise so much they want to go again next year.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

10 days before m our Feb 2023 cruise a friend advised they knew a couple who was denied boarding for a Caribbean cruise with passport cards. Something to do with a country doesn't accept them. News to me. At check-in I presented my card & was asked to follow the person to a supervisor. My DH had a passport book and followed. No one advised what the issue was. That supervisor left and spoke with another in a supervisory position.  They advised that Martinique doesn't accept cards because it is considered France.  BUT they were making additional inquiries.  In the minutes that passed I was telling my husband I hope he enjoys the cruise and I'll be flying home. Finally they said the passport card was accepted.  Whew!! Needless to say I applied for a book the day after we got home. I would never trust a passport card again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Let me tell you, my folks are in their 70s too, and they're all about that Passport Book life. My pops insists on carrying it everywhere when we're abroad – you never know when you might need it. He once had a health scare, and having the Passport Book smoothed things out during a tense moment.  Anyway, it's just a personal choice, but considering our age group, having the full deal feels like a safety net.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:11 PM, PWP-001 said:

I wasn't even aware that one could apply for a passport card without the passport.  But the application does allow for this situation.

Passport cards are really for people who drive to Canada or Mexico or do a closed loop cruise out of the US.   Lots of people who live near a border but never fly overseas have them to go back and forth across the border.  So, it is a cheaper alternative for those that have no plans to use a full passport.  

On 6/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, JOVERNITE said:

10 days before m our Feb 2023 cruise a friend advised they knew a couple who was denied boarding for a Caribbean cruise with passport cards. Something to do with a country doesn't accept them. News to me. At check-in I presented my card & was asked to follow the person to a supervisor. My DH had a passport book and followed. No one advised what the issue was. That supervisor left and spoke with another in a supervisory position.  They advised that Martinique doesn't accept cards because it is considered France.  BUT they were making additional inquiries.  In the minutes that passed I was telling my husband I hope he enjoys the cruise and I'll be flying home. Finally they said the passport card was accepted.  Whew!! Needless to say I applied for a book the day after we got home. I would never trust a passport card again.

There's a couple of Caribbean island that requires a passport for cruisers.   Martinique is one.

Edited by BND

3 hours ago, AdelPetersen said:

Let me tell you, my folks are in their 70s too, and they're all about that Passport Book life. My pops insists on carrying it everywhere when we're abroad – you never know when you might need it. He once had a health scare, and having the Passport Book smoothed things out during a tense moment.  Anyway, it's just a personal choice, but considering our age group, having the full deal feels like a safety net.

Stay safe out there, and hey, have you guys checked out this Prime ID Scanner at https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/prime-id-scanner.html? Looks pretty handy!

Now in my mid-70's, I acquired my first passport at age 16 when flying to Europe on my own, and I've had one ever since. I wouldn't travel outside Canada without it.

Twice in the past ten years, my wife has suffered a medical issue and had to fly home mid-cruise for treatment. Had we been Americans travelling on anything other than a passport, we would have been in a real pickle. When making arrangement to fly home from St. Lucia, the ship's crew member with whom I dealt commented that he was glad to see that we were Canadians travelling on passports, as the entry into St. Lucia and the subsequent flight out would not be a problem.

Like travel insurance, Americans on most North American cruises don't have to have passports, but I'd think that it's worth spending the little bit extra for the peace of mind, knowing that you'll be ok if something does go wrong. 

• Like 2

Passport cards have their place, but I'd never do non-driving international travel on one.  

In addition to drives across the border to somewhere near the border, they are a good first ID for kids.  Around the same cost as a non-driving state ID, proves citizenship, and takes less time to get.    By time, I mean time you waste in a government office, not time to get the card in your hand.  

• Like 1

I travel with both.  The pass-card serves as a "Real-ID" for airline travel (I won't get the enhanced drivers license).  In most ports, the pass card is sufficient ID, so that's what I carry on shore excursions (hesitant to go swimming with a passport book).  The passport book stays in my cabin safe.  For medical emergencies, that safe will be opened anyway, and I'll have it for an evacuation flight.

• Like 2

I wasn't moaning. Just surprised since I looked into it on the travel.state.gov site before getting it .Since we would only be in the Caribbean the card made sense to me. When I received my book they returned my unexpired card. I won't renew the card once expired.

On 6/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, RedIguana said:

The hassle of getting the book or the card is the same. 

That's true.  Same effort, but the Passport Card is of considerably less value.  

4 hours ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

I have a passport card.  I cruise often so I have a passport card that I can use while I am renewing my passport.  They don’t expire at the same time so I’m covered.  I don’t plan to use my passport card often but I have it if I need it.

The whole passport system could use an overhaul.  Being forced to send in /being without your passport (or card) for as much as two months is a huge flaw.  

4 hours ago, BND said:

Passport cards are really for people who drive to Canada or Mexico or do a closed loop cruise out of the US.

Exactly, and they're perfect for that purpose.  

51 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Twice in the past ten years, my wife has suffered a medical issue and had to fly home mid-cruise for treatment.

That is exceptionally bad luck.  

It's important to note that -- passport or not -- you can't fly home any old day on a cruise.  If you become ill on an "At Sea" day, you're not flying home.  Then when you reach an island, its small airport may or may not have a flight for you that day -- and, if they do, it'll be last-minute expensive.  The point:  Just recognize that flying home isn't all that easy.  

37 minutes ago, LisaAtlCruiser said:

So many are willing to take a risk until of course the risk is realized.  Then all they do is ***** and moan and blame others. 

I think it's important to weigh your own risks /costs.  

But I haven't read about many people getting into trouble (whining or not) on this board because of lack of passports.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LisaAtlCruiser said:

So many are willing to take a risk until of course the risk is realized.  Then all they do is ***** and moan and blame others.  

Frankly cruising without a passport is foolish- especially for people in their 70’s!

I’ve read several posts from folks who had to fly home without a passport, not many, but most admitted they were at fault, they gambled and lost.

2 hours ago, gmerick said:

I travel with both.  The pass-card serves as a "Real-ID" for airline travel (I won't get the enhanced drivers license).  In most ports, the pass card is sufficient ID, so that's what I carry on shore excursions (hesitant to go swimming with a passport book).  The passport book stays in my cabin safe.  For medical emergencies, that safe will be opened anyway, and I'll have it for an evacuation flight.

Enhanced driver's license isn't needed for "real-id". Only some states offer enhanced driver's license and it essentially has the same functionality as a passport card. all states, AFAIK, offer "real id'. All we had to do for that was show our birth certificates and a bill with our name and home address. I don't think it cost any extra. We just had to wait a couple weeks for it to be mailed to our house. 

Edited by sanger727

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you become ill on an "At Sea" day, you're not flying home.  Then when you reach an island, its small airport may or may not have a flight for you that day -- and, if they do, it'll be last-minute expensive. 

In the case of flying from St. Lucia, we had a sea day before arriving, and were able to arrange our flights during that time. Yes, last-minute flights can be expensive, but that's why we always have travel insurance. The point is, there was no additional delay, or complications acquiring an emergency passport in St. Lucia, which would be the case for anyone travelling on a passport card, birth certificate, etc. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve read several posts from folks who had to fly home without a passport, not many, but most admitted they were at fault, they gambled and lost.

Agree.  These stories are few and far between, and people know they're to blame if they end up in this situation.  

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

... Only some states offer enhanced driver's license ... 

Yes, highly state dependent.  I have a Real ID driver's license but don't have the option for an enhanced driver's license.  

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In the case of flying from St. Lucia, we had a sea day before arriving, and were able to arrange our flights during that time. Yes, last-minute flights can be expensive, but that's why we always have travel insurance. The point is, there was no additional delay, or complications acquiring an emergency passport in St. Lucia, which would be the case for anyone travelling on a passport card, birth certificate, etc. 

But my point is that -- depending upon where you were -- you might've been forced to wait a couple days until you reached an island with an airport that could service your needs.  And an airplane seat was available for you.  You were fortunate.  Not every emergency situation would fall into place as easily.  My point is that cruisers should not assume they'd be able to fly home -- with or without a passport.  

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Enhanced driver's license isn't needed for "real-id". Only some states offer enhanced driver's license and it essentially has the same functionality as a passport card. all states, AFAIK, offer "real id'. All we had to do for that was show our birth certificates and a bill with our name and home address. I don't think it cost any extra. We just had to wait a couple weeks for it to be mailed to our house. 

You need a lot more that that for real ID in NJ, plus it can take a while to snag an appointment. I’m planning on using my passport card instead of spending hours at the dmv.

33 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You need a lot more that that for real ID in NJ, plus it can take a while to snag an appointment. I’m planning on using my passport card instead of spending hours at the dmv.

It's been two years (two years?) since I got my Real ID (not enhanced), but I had to show more documents too.  Seems like it was 4-5 documents (chosen from a long list).  Nothing difficult, just things to be gathered.  Birth certificate, W2 or pay stub, a utility bill ... I don't remember it all, but I know I went through carefully and stored all my things on a clipboard.  Once I arrived at the DMV, no problems. 

No, it didn't cost anything extra.  

I figure eventually this'll become mandatory just for a driver's license, and gathering up those things was never going to be convenient ... so why not just get it out of the way when I had to renew anyway.  My husband has to renew next year, and he will do the same thing.  

5 hours ago, gmerick said:

Real ID is not required for airline travel. Maybe someday but I would not bet on it.