Sydney: Top 10 Most Co$tly!

TLCOhio

From MSN News this morning, they had this headline: 10 Most Expensive Travel Destinations in the World with these highlights for Sydney and why it is so costly:Sydney is a city that combines the laid-back vibe of a beach town with the vivacity of a big city. Located on the eastern coast of Australia, Sydney is an enchanting city that will take your breath away with its spectacular scenery, historical landmarks, and cultural diversity.  The Sydney Opera House is the city's most recognizable landmark, so get ready to be amazed when you arrive. With its unusual sail-like shape, this architectural gem enhances the beauty of Sydney Harbour. The high cost of living in Sydney is reflected in the city's high lodging, food, transportation, and retail prices, among other areas. Luxury accommodations in prime locations and the cost of trying out new gourmet restaurants and activities can put a serious dent in your savings. The high demand for goods and services in Sydney from both locals and tourists drives up the city's cost of living.

Sydney was ranked as the ninth most expensive travel location.  Ahead of it with higher pricing were Monaco, Switzerland, French Riviera, the Maldives, New York City, Los Angeles and Aspen/Colorado.  Bora Bora was ranked tenth.  

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-10-most-expensive-travel-destinations-in-the-world/ar-AA1cunOL

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,890 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

If you look, you can find many good restaurants that cost no more than what we pay in the US.  During our week in Sydney, we are at a wonderful Indian restaurant (twice), a super Chinese restaurant and an Irish pub. As we wandered,  we checked out places for goinback to eat. 

16 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

If you look, you can find many good restaurants that cost no more than what we pay in the US.  During our week in Sydney, we are at a wonderful Indian restaurant (twice), a super Chinese restaurant and an Irish pub. As we wandered,  we checked out places for goinback to eat. 

I agree, we have never paid more than what we pay in other Australian cities, even in the Rocks area. We also found an Irish pub which had great food and have spent time in Chinatown trying many Asian restaurants which were quite reasonably priced. 

43 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I agree, we have never paid more than what we pay in other Australian cities, even in the Rocks area. We also found an Irish pub which had great food and have spent time in Chinatown trying many Asian restaurants which were quite reasonable

P.J. O'Brian?   Ate there twice

4 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

P.J. O'Brian?   Ate there twice

No, it wasn't P J O'Brien's, it was in Goulburn Street, closer to Chinatown. We have eaten at P J O'Brien's in other localities though. 

18 hours ago, possum52 said:

No, it wasn't P J O'Brien's, it was in Goulburn Street, closer to Chinatown. We have eaten at P J O'Brien's in other localities though. 

Maloney maybe?

or there is another O’Briens, not PJ down Haymarket way.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:56 AM, GUT2407 said:

Maloney maybe?

or there is another O’Briens, not PJ down Haymarket way.

Yes Maloney's Geoff, I had completely forgiotten the name of it. We were walking past one evening on our way to Chinatown and decided to try it.

18 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes Maloney's Geoff, I had completely forgiotten the name of it. We were walking past one evening on our way to Chinatown and decided to try it.

I think other I was thinking of was Scruffy Murphy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 3:43 AM, Mrs f. said:

Would you list them please, especially the Indian one.

The Grand Palace...261 George Street..in the basement.  Definitely make reservations. Was pretty empty on a December Tuesday night but on Friday was packed 

Trying to remember the name of the great Chinese...will have to ask if any of the other couples remember but I do know the directions (don't laugh)....from Hilton Hotel go out the Pitt Street exit.  Cross over to the other side of the narrow street.  Walk about 20 feet to your left. There is a cut through in the building to go to next street. Walk in towards the right ..take the little escalator up .there are stairs going up to the Chinese restaurant. quite large upstairs. Super good.  I'll try to remember the name

Ok so I went searching ....I THINK it's called Palace Chinese Restaurant.  Googled a bunch of places and photos...this looks like it

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

The Grand Palace...261 George Street..in the basement.  Definitely make reservations. Was pretty empty on a December Tuesday night but on Friday was packed 

Trying to remember the name of the great Chinese...will have to ask if any of the other couples remember but I do know the directions (don't laugh)....from Hilton Hotel go out the Pitt Street exit.  Cross over to the other side of the narrow street.  Walk about 20 feet to your left. There is a cut through in the building to go to next street. Walk in towards the right ..take the little escalator up .there are stairs going up to the Chinese restaurant. quite large upstairs. Super good.  I'll try to remember the name

That's great! But does this mean we have to stay at the Hilton 🙂

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

That's great! But does this mean we have to stay at the Hilton 🙂

☺️....we also ate at 5 Guys in George Street. Were going to eat at Jimmy's Felafel right down the street but they were packed as soon as they opened and we had to catch the ferry to see Carmen on Cockatoo Island. Needed something fast. Was just like the one in the U.S.    we also ate at JP or PJ O'Brien's of George Street.  Typical Irish pub. Hamburgers were bleh....Shepard's pie was good. Good draft beer .    And if you are looking for a day trip from Sydney, we did a chef's tour. Incredible.