Which lines look after solos the best?

Justpackingmybags

I’m fairly new to solo cruising. Before my husband passed away we had great loyalty perks with Princess, but now I’m finding that they very seldom have deals for solos and their supplements are very high.

I’ve been browsing other mainstream lines (my budget won’t stretch to ultra luxury- I like having a home to live in) and I’ve seen that several now have single cabins. I’d love to hear your opinions on them. Which lines let us have daylight, and which keep us cocooned inside?

Over to you!

Your question is a good one, but let me ask you to think of it differently….if price is your biggest determining factor, then decide on a budget and go from there.  Yes, solo supplements suck, but a $1000 cabin (for example) is a $1000 cabin wether you paid double occupancy or not.  To me, itinerary, entertainment, service, food, overall vibe, etc is WAY more important than price alone.  Yes, NCL for example has solo cabins and a dedicated solo host on most of its ships and that is great but not all hosts are “created equal” and solo get togethers (hosted or unhosted) are only as “good” as the solos themselves and if they are the types of folks you might want to spend time with (if that makes sense).  My suggestion is pick a line and itinerary that interests you at a price point you can afford, go with an open mind, and try it out.  I’ve been solo cruising off and on for about 5 years or so….I am a retired, married woman who’s husband likes to cruise but also loves his job so I obviously have more “time off”.  I decided long ago to try as many lines/ships as I can.  Each has pluses and minuses, but a solo cruise is empowering and I never tire of it.  Let us know what you decide.  Cheers 🥂

• Like 4

Oh the under occupancy supplements! They suck.

I was looking at NCL studios, which are all inside I believe. For me, having access to fresh air is important & some of the NCL ships have so much going on on the open decks, there’s not a lot of peaceful space. I understand Virgin have outside cabins for ‘solo sailors’, plus they match loyalty status, so I’m contemplating giving them a try. I’m also checking out MSC inside Yacht Club because of access to open decks & loyalty match. I’ve cruised with Princess a lot when my husband was alive, but they just love a single supplement. I’ve never tried HAL, but I have heard they’re pretty good for solos. 
I’m fairly self sufficient and like dipping in and out of gatherings if I’m in the mood.

Any more ideas or comments are totally welcome!

10 hours ago, Justpackingmybags said:

Oh the under occupancy supplements! They suck.

I was looking at NCL studios, which are all inside I believe. For me, having access to fresh air is important & some of the NCL ships have so much going on on the open decks, there’s not a lot of peaceful space. I understand Virgin have outside cabins for ‘solo sailors’, plus they match loyalty status, so I’m contemplating giving them a try. I’m also checking out MSC inside Yacht Club because of access to open decks & loyalty match. I’ve cruised with Princess a lot when my husband was alive, but they just love a single supplement. I’ve never tried HAL, but I have heard they’re pretty good for solos. 
I’m fairly self sufficient and like dipping in and out of gatherings if I’m in the mood.

Any more ideas or comments are totally welcome!

All the lines you’ve mentioned I have sailed on…and they are all great in their own way.  I am platinum on NCL and sailed solo the most times on many of their ships.  But when status matching on Virgin and MSC became available I took advantage right away. To get high loyalty perks before you even step on a one of their ships is a game changer .  I LOVED Virgin so much that I will be sailing their 14 day TA this October solo for my birthday!  I also think MSC is great, but I have only sailed in the YC which is wonderful but I can’t really speak to what the experience would be like on the “rest of the ship”.  I wasn’t expecting to like my Holland America cruise as a much as I did…it was one of the newer, bigger vessels and I really liked the service, the great pool area and the multiple live music venues.  This was also a good example of a line that, although it doesn’t have “dedicated” solo meet ups, I met some wonderful, friendly people just organically at bars or in the evening and we became a small but mightily little group that did our own things during the day and then met up in the evenings for dinner and entertainment.  Again, I am an introvert but sometimes if you are open to meeting others it just happens…cruise ships are full of friendly people.  Will it be different than when you cruised with your partner?  Yes, but it truly can be wonderful and I hope you have a  great time…Bon Voyage 🌸

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justpackingmybags said:

Thank you for that! I need to get browsing and booking!

You're in the UK, right? Have you checked out Saga? For age 50 and above. All-balcony cabins, and 20% are for solos. The solo cabins are almost as large as the double cabins, and as you can imagine are not simply half price. But Saga really cater to solos. And even couples are very welcoming. 

I'm guessing you already know about Fred Olsen as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

You're in the UK, right? Have you checked out Saga? For age 50 and above. All-balcony cabins, and 20% are for solos. The solo cabins are almost as large as the double cabins, and as you can imagine are not simply half price. But Saga really cater to solos. And even couples are very welcoming. 

Yes, I’m UK based. I’ll definitely start checking out Saga’s prices (I’m in their demographic!) and see how it looks compared with Princess’ singles prices. One of the guys in the apartments where I live was praising Fred Olsen yesterday too. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 hours ago, Justpackingmybags said:

Yes, I’m UK based. I’ll definitely start checking out Saga’s prices (I’m in their demographic!) and see how it looks compared with Princess’ singles prices. One of the guys in the apartments where I live was praising Fred Olsen yesterday too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Consider the cost per day ... and what is included. Saga is pretty much all-inclusive, including transport to and from the port and gratuities. I'm not a drinker, but alcohol is also included.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:53 PM, Justpackingmybags said:

Thank you for that! I need to get browsing and booking!

A great resource is checking out Cruiseplum.com. There you can see list of cruises that have decent fares for solos and other fares that are being promoted.

This is not a booking / travel agent site, so you would have to book with the cruise line or your favorite TA. At least you have a direction and an idea on what is out there.

• Like 4

Very few dedicated solo cabins on the mass market lines are anything other than insides. A few lines have started to offer a few token solo OV cabins on their newer ships (or have re-designated a few on older ones). HAL's Pinnacle class ships offer some OV singles. Oceania (more $$$) offers a few OV singles too.

Rather than looking just for single rooms, I try to look for discounted cruises or those with lower solo supplements (generally only offered on select cruises, so unfortunately you have really keep an eye out for them). Sometimes getting a balcony at a steep discount is cheaper than a solo room, even if you have to pay the full supplement. 

I'm lucky in that I don't tend to spend much time in my cabin. I find a few places, early on, on any ship I'm on and I make those places my own "home". Different spots for different times of the day. I really feel like I get to enjoy all the ship has to offer that way, but I understand not everyone is the same.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 1:59 AM, Justpackingmybags said:

I was looking at NCL studios, which are all inside I believe. For me, having access to fresh air is important & some of the NCL ships have so much going on on the open decks, there’s not a lot of peaceful space.

On all of the NCL ships with Studio cabins, up to the Prima, those ships (except the Epic) have the Waterfront.  That space is outside and quite peaceful with plentiful seating.  It's a great alternative to having a balcony.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 10:52 PM, GerryL13 said:

Good call! 

My sister is a solo traveler (65) & has just returned from her first cruise with Saga & absolutely loved it!  So much so that she has booked another one for Oct this year, 2023, with one of the many ladies she hit it off on her recent one & planning one for April 24.. 

Saga arranged a solo meet & greet every night I believe, along with hosted solo lunches/dinners.  Other guests were so welcoming that they had a Whatsapp group set up to arrange bars, restaurants & tours with each other.  By far the best "Solo" experience she has had on a cruise.  She has cruised solo with NCL, Celebrity & Princess.

Prices are quite high but taking into account the inclusions: return transfers from home to the ship, food, specialty dinning, all drinks, gratuities, great entertainment & some tours, it worked out very good value.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billybrent said:

Good call! 

My sister is a solo traveler (65) & has just returned from her first cruise with Saga & absolutely loved it!  So much so that she has booked another one for Oct this year, 2023, with one of the many ladies she hit it off on her recent one & planning one for April 24.. 

Saga arranged a solo meet & greet every night I believe, along with hosted solo lunches/dinners.  Other guests were so welcoming that they had a Whatsapp group set up to arrange bars, restaurants & tours with each other.  By far the best "Solo" experience she has had on a cruise.  She has cruised solo with NCL, Celebrity & Princess.

Prices are quite high but taking into account the inclusions: return transfers from home to the ship, food, specialty dinning, all drinks, gratuities, great entertainment & some tours, it worked out very good value.

Looks like I’m off to Saga’s website for a browse! I’ll price up a similar itinerary across the lines. I’ve got Elite with Princess, so I’ll take a look at them with the Plus package and single supplement, then do a comparison with the suggestions you’ve all given me. 
who knows where I’ll end up? But wherever it is, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

I also lost my husband last year. We loved to cruise. I've been looking to go on my own but as you say the single supplements can be horrendous.  Let me know if you find anything interesting! I'm UK based. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, salsafan said:

I also lost my husband last year. We loved to cruise. I've been looking to go on my own but as you say the single supplements can be horrendous.  Let me know if you find anything interesting! I'm UK based. 

I most certainly will! Solo cruisers are a growing market. Some by choice and others, like ourselves, as a result of bereavement or relationship breakdown and I’m glad that some lines are beginning to recognise that. Lots to compare. I may be on holiday. A lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also UK based and our prices are a lot more expensive than people booking in the States.  I've been Fred Olsen but I find Holland America good as 'only' 60% Single supplement and an outside cabin is not much more than an inside.  They used to have solo travellers get togethers but haven't sailed with them since 2016.

Edited by Pompeygirl56
Typo
  • Like 1

I agree with a lot of the points chefchick said. Royal Caribbean does offer a discount for solo cruisers after they get 340 cruise points. I will say that NCL on their larger ships with solo cabins can be an easy experience for the first time solo traveler. Dinner is set up as well as shows with others that are also solo. At least on the NCL Epic which I was on. I feel that Royal and Celebrity may offer solo get togethers but have found that these will often occur in the same place as another event is occurring. Holland America did a great job on a cruise I was traveling solo in Europe. They had several get togethers with a host and bought the first round. Not sure if this typical but I met some amazing woman that were so well traveled. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC Babe said:

Check out Celebrity.  Their Edge class has solo cabins that have Infinite Balconies.  No being stuck in an inside cabin.  The Silhouette has solo inside cabins.

It's not just about the cabin you sail in but also the activities and solo gatherings (if that's your thing).  You could have a ship full of solo infinite balcony cabins, but if there's no solo group activities some may not enjoy the experience...

First cruise with Princess, enjoyed the experience but I was lonely. Then I enjoyed my cruise with Saga, it's not cheap but they offer opportunities for singles to meet up. I'm still in touch with friends I met. Then I tried P&O but not as friendly.

59 minutes ago, Transatlantically said:

Silversea has a 25% single supplement on many of its cruises. 

Also Silversea offer new cruisers a $500 discount when referred by a previous Silversea friend. Add to that a good TAs discount & some of there prices are almost competitive 🙂

I've cruised solo a few times (6 post covid and 5 pre-covid) and I have a Cruise budget of $250 a night (cruise only in Australian Dollars including taxes/fees). This usually gets me an Inside cabin, but I have had balcony cabins for this price point.

I think you need to set a $ per night budget that you are happy to pay.

• Like 2