Silverseas vs. Celebrity The Retreat

NanaChar

We have been Celebrity fans for years.  We book The Retreat, which gives us the small ship feel since we have a dedicated lounge, restaurant and retreat area.  The staff knows us by name when we walk in and within a few days, knows the drinks we want.  But, with the Edge Class ships, the Retreat prices are comparable (maybe even more costly) than Silver Seas. 

Since we have never been on a smaller ship, are there drawbacks?  The things I'm thinking that might be negatives is the entertainment and more sea movement.   

Our two cruises last year were on Regent and Celebrity. We had a suite on Regent and the Retreat on X.   We are booked on SS for an August cruise.

We were disappointed in the food at the dedicated restaurant and other restaurants on X.  Everywhere seemed crowded on X.

You are correct.  There is more motion in rough seas on a smaller ship, and there is more entertainment on X, but the quality of the entertainment seems to be declining on  X, HAL and others.

We have sailed on X and HAL about 15-20 times each.

I don't see us returning unless it's with others who make the plans.

If you like what the larger ships offer X might be for you.

1 minute ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I don’t know about Silverseas but with Silversea the entire ship will feel like a retreat.  Does the X Retreat have a separate entrance from the masses and a separate gym, spa?  Is there one dedicated restaurant and lounge?

Dedicated restaurant and lounge, yes.  Separate deck area as well on many of their ships.  But there aren't nearly 596 guests (e.g., Muse class) in Celebrity's Retreat suites, either.  We come from the same cruising background as @NanaChar although in Royal vs. Sky and will be equally interested in how our first SS experience will feel in comparison. 

• Like 1

I have found that the mega ships with the "ship within a ship" concept don't always call on very interesting ports. They tend to just hit the same Caribbean ports over and over. The big ships are great when the ship is your major focus and/or you have kids who need to be entertained. The big ships are also great for many multi-generational trips as it gives a wide range of room types and activities to suit a diverse set of budgets. Sure there are some families that can afford for everyone to sail the luxury lines but that just isn't the reality for most. There is a cruise that fits everyone's style but personally I am not going to pay the "ship within a ship" concept if just traveling alone as you have pointed out that the cost is similar to just sailing on the luxury lines.

• Like 2

I am currently in X in Retreat. Last week on X non Retreat. I have done one SS on the Moon and have. A 71 day on SS Nova in January. They are completely different. Both have pluses and minuses. There is an energy about X and certainly more options of what to do. Staff is very engaging and hard working. If you want to easily socialize I find X more Conducive to meeting people and visiting. The food is much better on SS. SS has more interesting itineraries and overnights. I find The SS cabin layout much better than X. On our SS entertainment was basically nonexistent. I think which one works is more driven by each individual’s needs for that particular cruise. If I want to explore and have a lot of interesting stops then SS is for me. If I want a chill float around the Caribbean or Mediterranean (which we are doing now) then X with more to do and a livelier atmosphere is preferable. JMHO 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I meant to ask if there is a separate dedicated entrance to the ship for Retreat PAX.

Celebrity does not have a separate spa or gym.  It is the same for everyone.  For Embarkment, at least in Ft Lauderdale has a separate entrance and a lounge you can wait at before going on-board.  I'm not sure how I would feel about waiting in line with thousands of people trying to get on-board.  

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I meant to ask if there is a separate dedicated entrance to the ship for Retreat PAX.

Counted five.  Answered two and added one.  No to separate gym or spa.  That should be 4/5.

Your last question is a "maybe".  As RS guests on Solstice class, we have been guided to a separate exit/portal near the private lounge, but no idea if that is possible on Edge class, which we haven't sailed.

Just to point out the entertainment on Silversea will be changing. I got on very well with the Voices of Silversea on our last cruise on the Moon finishing at the end of May. Their contract finishes in mid August and they were certain they will be the last of the voices on Silversea.

Contracts on the other ships they thought would be finishing June or July.

So by September the entertainment is likely to be very different.

26 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Just to point out the entertainment on Silversea will be changing. I got on very well with the Voices of Silversea on our last cruise on the Moon finishing at the end of May. Their contract finishes in mid August and they were certain they will be the last of the voices on Silversea.

One of the things we haven't heard about on SS and which we appreciate are the 3~4 piece string groups that often play on Celebrity ships.  Nice way to spend some time on an at-sea day afternoon or before dinner.  The Retreat lounge always seems to have that or string or piano or guitar soloists dropping by in the evenings.  It's my impression that lately it's mostly either Jazz at Silver Note or vocalists on SS.  Am I reading that right?

They also at least on the larger ships have a Silversea trio. Can be heard on the pool deck and Panorama lounge pre dinner that we saw them. They sing as well as play.

Also a piano player and a guitarist that we heard in Dolce Vita.

And later in the night a DJ in the Panorama lounge though we were in bed by the time he began.

Hi, I agree with drron. @canderson, most of my cruises have offered a pianist and a guitarist as well.

They played in Dolce Vita in the evenings.

On our recent Wind expedition tour, they had an excellent pianist/vocalist (Eduardo) and a guitarist/singer in the Dolce Vita and Panorama every night - so even the smaller ships have entertainment.

23 hours ago, NanaChar said:

But, with the Edge Class ships, the Retreat prices are comparable (maybe even more costly) than Silver Seas.  

This is so true.  I've posted on this 3x this week already. X Retreat pricing has gone insane and is now fully comparable to SS and RSSC, which is just wrong.  While I find the new Edge class ships gorgeous (personal preference), cruising with 3,000 of your 'closest friends' is just not relaxing for me. Having said that, my last SS cruise was on the Whisper and 380 people is just too few.  I haven't cruised yet on the larger SS or RSSC ships, but I feel that 700-800 people is the goldilocks range for me--maybe stretching up to the larger Oceania ships at 1,200.  My teenage kids are also old enough now to appreciate the luxury lines (and behave accordingly).  

The one exception to X pricing is on the M-class ships, where the PH Suite is still reasonably priced and comes with a 1,100sqft veranda with 120 degree view.  Just my (non-inflationary) two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

The one exception to X pricing is on the M-class ships, where the PH Suite is still reasonably priced and comes with a 1,100sqft veranda with 120 degree view.  Just my (non-inflationary) two cents.

We sailed this winter on an M-class ship.  Came home sold my stock and said NEVER AGAIN.  WE FOUND THE FOOD DREADFUL.  We were not in suite class.  It was like sailing and eating at applebees every night.

sorry i sold my stock tho as it has gone up, and it appears SS may now offer the credit.

2 hours ago, riandei said:

We sailed this winter on an M-class ship.  Came home sold my stock and said NEVER AGAIN.  WE FOUND THE FOOD DREADFUL.  We were not in suite class.  It was like sailing and eating at applebees every night.

Sorry to hear that, a real bummer!  I've only ever sailed X in Retreat, and while not RSSC or SS (haven't sailed on O yet), between Luminae and the specialties I always found the food to be good. However given current pricing I don't see sailing with them again, either--not a good value proposition. 

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

Sorry to hear that, a real bummer!  I've only ever sailed X in Retreat, and while not RSSC or SS (haven't sailed on O yet), between Luminae and the specialties I always found the food to be good. However given current pricing I don't see sailing with them again, either--not a good value proposition. 

Yes, we recognize your name from many past posts in the X forums.  I came to the same conclusion.  Realizing that I was looking at rough parity between the price of an X Royal Suite vs. a comparable Silver Suite on SS Muse class, it seemed time to make the transition. 

Like you, we always found the food on X to be just fine, and as we confined our cruises to M and S class ships, we had more options on Luminae.  We'd always order the lamb in phyllo when we spotted it on the main dining room menu.  The Luminae MD was also very attentive.  We noted that we missed the goat cheese soufflé from the old specialty restaurant (while on an M class ship) and surprise, it appeared on our table the next night, the recipe having been cribbed from an E class ship.

One thing you'll discover as a pleasant surprise, if you're waiting for your first SS cruise, is that based upon the lists I've seen photo's here, their better wine by the bottle is priced at land-based retail, sometimes even a few bucks less!

Edited by canderson
typoz

5 hours ago, riandei said:

sorry i sold my stock tho as it has gone up, and it appears SS may now offer the credit.

Is Applebees that bad?  🙂 

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, drron29 said:

On my two cruises on the Moon, the voices of Silversea were spectacular. I wonder what's coming.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, canderson said:

One thing you'll discover as a pleasant surprise, if you're waiting for your first SS cruise, is that based upon the lists I've seen photo's here, their better wine by the bottle is priced at land-based retail, sometimes even a few bucks less!

Yes, looking forward to that!  We've been on the older SS ships before (and always loved our La Dame experience) but not on any of the newer SS ships.  I'm shopping for 2024/25 itineraries on the Nova and Ray as we speak--hopefully in the Med, but perhaps something closer to home.  I always found the wine average on X, which is why I BYOB'd. What I've got in my cellar tends to be better than when X has (and cheaper, too!). 🙂