Covid While on Board and Isolation

walnut99

On a recent cruise (ending in June) my wife self tested-for Covid and had a positive result, it was then confirmed by the medical staff that she had Covid and she was isolated for five days. After that, we were able to enjoy the remainder of the cruise.  Under the HAL Travel Well program, it appears that one is entitled to a FCC for the time spent in isolation.  Before reaching out to HAL, I thought i would ask members of this board if anyone has any recent experience or knowledge whether HAL is still offering the FCC for the days in isolation.  

For those interested, my wife was confined to our cabin.  She was tested once to determine that she had Covid (for which we were charged by medical), underwent no further testing and was released after five days based upon her statement to medical that she felt fine.  I had no symptoms.  I was never tested by medical and shared our original cabin with her during the isolation.  I was told that I need not isolate. 

Thank you, in advance, for any information you are able to provide on the FCC.

John

Edited by walnut99
  • Like 2

On a HAL sailing in March, I got Covid, and I was told to isolate in my cabin for the day I tested positive, plus 5 more days. Then they came and tested me, I was negative and was released, and the next day they put a letter in my mailbox stating that I would be given a FCC for my days in isolation. About a month later I checked my Mariner account on HAL's website and I saw that the FCC had been added to my account.  

I find it amazing that they never tested you at all during your wife's isolation. When I was isolated, they required my wife to come down to the medical center and be tested every other day (she tested negative every time). 

Anyway, I believe the FCC policy is still in effect. If you are still on the ship, you should make sure you have something in writing from HAL to prove your wife had to be isolated, and ideally confirming that a FCC will be provided to her. Then when you get home, check your Mariner account every week or so to see when/if the FCC gets added to your wife's Mariner account.

Good luck

• Like 2

CafeBruno,

Thank you for the information and it is clear that the way Covid is being treated continues to evolve.  It did not appear that there was much of an issue on this cruise with people contracting Covid, much different than our February cruise to Hawaii where you saw many more food trays left outside cabins. 

• Like 1

Both my husband and I tested positive while cruising in April.

He had very mild symptoms but I, less so. Once I tested positive they asked that he test as well and he was positive. They asked when his symptoms first started.

I was asked to isolate for 5 days from my test but because his symptoms had presented earlier he only had to do 3 days.

We received a sheet of paper under the door about FCC. I was too sick to pay much attention to it.

Checked my account online after about 5 weeks and there was FCC already available, about $500 for him and $900 for me.

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Covid is definitely alive and around. I got it on my Alaska cruise last month. Luckily it happened at the tail end of the cruise and I did not test + until the day I got home.

My DW and I also contracted COVID on our Alaska cruise last month.  Like you it happened at the end and we tested positive when we arrived home.  It was our first time with COVID and even though we have had all the recommended vaccine shots, and even had the latest vaccine 3 weeks prior to sailing it still took us more than 3 weeks to fully recover.

Just now, Roz said:

@cbr663, did you take Paxlovid?  Is it available on HAL ships?

No, we didn't.  Honestly, didn't even think of it when we returned home.  I don't know if it is on HAL ships or not.  I can tell you though that towards the end of the cruise there were symptomatic people on the ship.  We dined at Rudi's on the last night and there were people all around us with symptoms.

The day after boarding I developed a cough and a sore throat. I self-tested positive and the medical staff tested both my wife and I and we were both positive. We were confined to our cabin for 5 days. I did receive a letter stating that we would receive FCC for the days of confinement. We were prescribed Paxlovid and boy it is expensive. We both felt better after about 3 days. We disembarked the end of May.

• Like 2

Hubby tested positive on our Transatlantic on the NS.  I also tested and was negative.  He isolated for 4 days since their requirement is 6 from symptoms onset.  He had symptoms for 2 days prior to going to medical center.  I was able to roam freely.  They do not test a second time, and release the person by calling them on the last morning of isolation.  If they say they feel fine, they are released from then on.  We received the FCC about 10 days after the cruise ended.  Very quick, but I did call about it, so I was a squeeky wheel.

We asked about Paxlovid, but they highly discouraged it for DH as he had no underlying conditions and symptoms were mild flu-like.  They said it was $700 or so and supplies were not great, so we opted out.  They also said they have to do full blood workup before they prescribe it which  was also costly.  We had insurance but luckily only got some pain reliever and cough drops lol that were reimbursed after about a month by our Nationwide travel insurance policy.

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

No, we didn't.  Honestly, didn't even think of it when we returned home.  I don't know if it is on HAL ships or not.  I can tell you though that towards the end of the cruise there were symptomatic people on the ship.  We dined at Rudi's on the last night and there were people all around us with symptoms.

It’s been like that on every cruise I’ve been on.  It was especially bad on the koningsdam thanksgiving cruise last November.  I heard people saying they were sick and coughing up a lung yet they were all around the ship.  Same in the cabanas.  I simply don’t know what’s wrong with people. This is why I refuse to eat with anyone or go to shows. I also wear a mask most of the time indoors.  Luckily I have not had Covid. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s been like that on every cruise I’ve been on.  It was especially bad on the koningsdam thanksgiving cruise last November.  I heard people saying they were sick and coughing up a lung yet they were all around the ship.  Same in the cabanas.  I simply don’t know what’s wrong with people. This is why I refuse to eat with anyone or go to shows. I also wear a mask most of the time indoors.  Luckily I have not had Covid. 

From reading these various reports I'm seeing that its worst on longer than 7 days - it seems to take around 5 days to establish itself. We're on a 25 day cruise with many port stops so pretty much will be masking around people inside particularly on planes, embarkation, theatre, buses 

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Interestingly I had 7 family members take the same cruise 2 weeks after we did and none of them contracted COVID.  The last night for us in Rudi's was really noticeable, perhaps because it was a smaller and quieter venue.  One gentleman at one table was coughing quite loudly all evening and at the end of the evening he approached another table and shook their hands and spoke quite loudly how nice it was to meet them and wished them safe travels back home.

12 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Interestingly I had 7 family members take the same cruise 2 weeks after we did and none of them contracted COVID.  The last night for us in Rudi's was really noticeable, perhaps because it was a smaller and quieter venue.  One gentleman at one table was coughing quite loudly all evening and at the end of the evening he approached another table and shook their hands and spoke quite loudly how nice it was to meet them and wished them safe travels back home.

🤮.  I still hate it when people shake my hand even when they don’t look the least bit sick.  I’ve had people grab my phone when I’m showing them something.  Had people grab my mouse at work.  Just don’t !  I never do that to others.

• Like 6

Fact Sheet: End of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency | HHS.gov

The US ended the Covid emergency policies on May 11, 2023 so I find it difficult to believe that HAL will still offer FCCs. (I realize that HAL has no requirement to follow the US policy) 

I tried to look on the website and only found the policy that was in place last year.  I "thought" I read that HAL had removed the reimbursements, but until I find it in writing who knows?

Frankly, at this point what reason would there be to have different policies for Covid than any other communicable illness requiring isolation on board?  (Norovirus, Flu, Measels, etc.)

Anybody have concrete information?

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 4

As far as I can tell FCC is still offered:
If I go to https://www.hollandamerica.com/ -> Plan a Cruise -> Worry Free Promise -> FAQ and then to the question " What happens when a guest test positive for COVID-19 on board?" 

it says:

[Quote]
If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contact are quarantined or medically isolated during your voyage because of a positive COVID-19 test or are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for any full day spent in isolation, including the time in quarantine.
[end Quote]

• Thanks 1

To me, it seems like it’s in hal best interest to provide this.  As it is some people refuse to stay in their cabin when sick.  If there is less incentive to do that I expect that there will be even more Covid transmission.  Before someone starts up I’m a rule follower so I don’t need incentive to do that right thing.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, walnut99 said:

On a recent cruise (ending in June) my wife self tested-for Covid and had a positive result, it was then confirmed by the medical staff that she had Covid and she was isolated for five days. After that, we were able to enjoy the remainder of the cruise.  Under the HAL Travel Well program, it appears that one is entitled to a FCC for the time spent in isolation.  Before reaching out to HAL, I thought i would ask members of this board if anyone has any recent experience or knowledge whether HAL is still offering the FCC for the days in isolation.  

For those interested, my wife was confined to our cabin.  She was tested once to determine that she had Covid (for which we were charged by medical), underwent no further testing and was released after five days based upon her statement to medical that she felt fine.  I had no symptoms.  I was never tested by medical and shared our original cabin with her during the isolation.  I was told that I need not isolate. 

Thank you, in advance, for any information you are able to provide on the FCC.

John

Hi, sincere question here (not trying to start any debates, I genuinely want to know HAL’s policy). Did HAL keep to the CDC guidance regarding continuing to mask until Day 10? Outlined here . I know their guidance says under “Regardless of when you end Isolation - Until at least Day 11: …Do not go places where you are unable to wear a mask until you are able to discontinue masking (see below)….”

Did the ship provide any further guidance after being released from isolation? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

To me, it seems like it’s in hal best interest to provide this.  As it is some people refuse to stay in their cabin when sick.  If there is less incentive to do that I expect that there will be even more Covid transmission.  Before someone starts up I’m a rule follower so I don’t need incentive to do that right thing.

I agree that it is in HAL's best interest to provide this.

In my country (the Netherlands), it is no longer required to go in the quarantine/isolation when infected or even self-test when you have symptoms. The current Omnikron-variants are now treated just like a cold or flu -> if you feel sick, you stay at home and if you don't feel sick, you can go about your business as usual (while being mindful about people with bad health).  

So I can definitely see why some people (not me) would think to themselves "why should I isolate/quarantine and miss out on all the ports/fun if it is no longer required to do so?" if they don't feel sick. HAL providing FCC will give some people the incentive to stay in their cabin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don't believe it is in anyone's best interest to offer a complimentary covid insurance policy (in the form of FCC). I suspect that those who will quarantine would do so with or without the FCC carrot.

I also suspect that the majority of people who feel ill never report it to the medical center. 

And then we also have all the people who are carriers but feel fine. It's an endless cycle.

At this point, I see no difference between offering FCC for covid or Noro. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Noro more contagious? 

• Like 2