Anyone else thinking of trading Haven for MSC Yacht club?

wolft927

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

They wanted to add $700 to my fare.

Pffft...$700? 

MSC once tried to jack my cruise up by $3,000 after I had booked. It was an FCC application that I tried to use for a cruise that I had already booked (deposit was cash). Long story short, MSC eventually corrected everything and I sailed exactly as planned paying exactly what I was supposed to pay. All of my FCC was used correctly. My out of pocket cost was actually lower than pre-pandemic cost. The cruise was fantastic.

Yes, MSC makes things difficult at times when it comes to returning money/making corrections but so far, every refund, deposit, price correction, etc. has been handled correctly to the penny. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Pffft...$700? 

MSC once tried to jack my cruise up by $3,000 after I had booked. It was an FCC application that I tried to use for a cruise that I had already booked (deposit was cash). Long story short, MSC eventually corrected everything and I sailed exactly as planned paying exactly what I was supposed to pay. All of my FCC was used correctly. My out of pocket cost was actually lower than pre-pandemic cost. The cruise was fantastic.

Yes, MSC makes things difficult at times when it comes to returning money/making corrections but so far, every refund, deposit, price correction, etc. has been handled correctly to the penny. 

That’s good news (I think)!  

They stonewalled me over and over, again.  First, they tried to add the new charges to my credit card, which AMEX lets me know about.  When I told Amex the charges weren’t authorized, I got an email from MSC acknowledging they wanted more money (I think it was a week after I made the original booking).

Emails, phone calls, etc didn’t resolve it.  They screwed up.  Didn’t care that they screwed up.  Refused to admit they screwed up.  And finally, kept trying to charge my AMEX over and over again (which I denied over and over again), until I finally just asked for my deposit back.  Had to get AMEX involved to even get that done.

I can tolerate a lot of things with cruise companies and cruising in general.  Trying to renege on a fare that I had already booked, ain’t one of the things I’ll tolerate.

18 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC asks for Loyalty card information, including issue date of the card. They also ask for "a scan or screen capture of your current external loyalty card."

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't recall ever having an NCL loyalty card.

While we have enjoyed both the Haven and the Yacht Club, the deal breaker for us is that there is absolutely no shade whatsoever on the Divina and Seaside Class ships.

Whereas there are plenty of umbrellas, pergolas and the covered pool on the Breakaway & "+" ships,

it's like the surface of the sun on Seaside. For our second sailing, we took attachable chair umbrellas but they wouldn't fit the chair arms.

All this because Mrs. Aponte (seriously) doesn't like the look of umbrellas! 

26 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I would guess you can use your last key card.  They have your name and latitude level on them.

That's fine if you keep your key cards. But even so, what do you use as the issue date, since the date of the cruise wouldn't be the date you enrolled in the plan? I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as you have something showing your level. But again, we don't keep our key cards, so then what?

Edited by schmoopie17

54 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

That's fine if you keep your key cards. But even so, what do you use as the issue date, since the date of the cruise wouldn't be the date you enrolled in the plan? I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as you have something showing your level. But again, we don't keep our key cards, so then what?

I guess the best option then is what Wolft927 suggested and take a picture of your latitude info on the website.  Good luck!

• Like 1

We cruised the Haven and also the Yacht Club. I would give the edge to the YC for the reasons many have stated. We have been on close to 30 cruises and don't enjoy packing fussy clothes anymore and felt right at home in the Yacht Club with our casual attire. And I'm surprised nobody mentioned one of the best YC benefits - unlimited access to the thermal spa. On my upcoming 16-day NCL cruise they want to charge $399 per person for that. And MSC thermal spas on the newer ships are awesome. We are booked on the MSC Euribia next year. Our YC fare will include internet and the top tier drink package. I love NCL but the nickle & diming does get to be a bit much.

Denise

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, DCGuy64 said:

That is very disappointing, and surprising, too. I don't think we've ever had any issues with billing on MSC. Our TA takes care of everything, though, so maybe that's why. I'm sorry that happened to you.

MSC has issues with repricing when something changes, not always an easy fix from the ones I have read about.. 

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Was reading a post on MSC Board about people being able to sneak onto the YC sundeck. That would be disappointing.

The way that the ships are set up, it is easier to sneak into the Yacht Club than it is to sneak into the Haven. MSC could easily make it more "secure" as far as stopping interlopers and if more Yacht Club guests speak up about the problem, I would hope that MSC will take corrective action.

In a perfect world, MSC will hire NCL's Adrien Bica and have him implement a fleet wide standard operating procedure to secure exclusive areas of the ship. It won't happen immediately (nothing MSC does is immediate) but I hope that it does happen.

Having sailed Haven and YC both like 5 and 7 times respectively I’m going to keep this very short. 

At this point I’ll sail NCL non Haven in a Mini Suite (or whatever they’re calling them these days), with extras like Vibe Passes, Specialty Dining for most nights (after free at sea and Platinum freebies I’ll buy the rest of the nights), and Spa passes before I sail in the YC again. Last sailing I was frustrated with the issues we had on board and of course the shoreside booking issues with MSC. I’m just over it. Been dealing since 2019. The quality of YC has slid significantly since 2019. (Although post covid world of sailing has been watered down as a whole as well, and NCL with boy wonder running it now will slide even more). Sailed Haven on Bliss in Alaska in April of last year and man it was such a breath of fresh air after many YC sailings. If the price is within a reasonable range for me I’ll book Haven however this is now rare to impossible.  I’ll take a reasonable upgrade. 

They say YMMV, well with this topic your mileage WILL vary. I’ve learned this is such a subjective topic. 

Well whatever you do, it beats being home and at work!! Enjoy. 

• Like 2

after reading these posts, i decided to google msc cruises. i decided its not for me. they dont offer near the choices (itineraries, amount of sailing days) i noticed the msc "suites" are smaller than ncl.

ive mentioned this before (many times as to sound redundant), i believe ncl gives you more bang for your buck, both in prices, and choice of itineraries

Room-NCL rooms are larger but all are very functional. NCL has larger self opening front door in Accessible rooms as well as at public restrooms. NCL has eating table and a little larger balcony

Sundeck/pool-NCL Haven pool has retractable roof with lounging chairs both inside and out. MSC has outside pool and sundeck. This gives NCL a hostile weather advantage. NCL also has chair lift at Haven (if you ask). MSC has no pool chair lifts. All MSC pools are salt water. 

Eating-MSC YC has a different menu each night. Haven stays the same making use of specialty restaurants more enticing. Food is great in both lines. MSC has a grill/buffet area on sundeck for breakfast and lunch making food VERY accessible while enjoying outside. NCL has outside dining in Haven restaurant but food on sun deck is limited to 2 or 3 sandwich types.

Drinking/Lounge-MSC includes mini bar in their pkg as well as a bottle of liquor. NCL does not. NCL has 1 bar in mid lounge. Joy has additional front observation lounge as does MSC. MSC has bar at pool deck and front lounge making service better. MSC has light entertainment at night in lounge. MSC package includes water (Italian bottled water in room and at dinners) and specialty coffees. NCL does not.

Crew/Service- Both have wonderful service but MSC seems to go out of their way to be friendly and are always there when you need them.

Spa- the MSC YC has daily access to the Thermal room. The NCL Joy does not have one and the Escape has a significant daily charge

Cost- MSC has far better value as their cost is about 2/3 that of Haven. Also MSC allows you to apply your OBC to the service charges implemented (crew tips)

Summation Haven vs Yacht Club-
1)NCL Haven is a little more wheelchair friendly due to pool chair lift and power doors.
2)Out of NY MSC goes to both Bahamas/private island (dock) and Bermuda where NCL only goes south to Bermuda. Their private island is only tender accessible making weather more of an issue.
3)NCL might be better option in hostile weather conditions.

BUT the cost factor along with what they give, gives MSC a HUGE advantage and NCL better look at their pricing if they want to maintain NYC market share out of NY.

Edited by Glitchlo
  • Like 1

I have done both Haven and YC. 

Several NCL Haven and suites, from non Haven ships, Sun with aft 2 room suite and huge balcony (same suite twice), which was my favorite until the Epic DOS which was incredible and my first forward facing.  I love NCL Haven.  

I chose MSC with the match and because I cruised solo the YC interior spoke to me.  I did not spend a lot of time in the suite but rather in the YC and the spa.  

While in a Haven suite I definately took advantage of the suite and balcony.  I expect I would do the same on MSC if I cruised with someone else and in that case, chose a larger suite with a balcony.  

I never felt the MSC inside diminshed my YC experience. I loved the pool area and al fresco dining.  But I also loved the EPiC Haven pool area with the POSH right there. 

I give NCL Haven restaurant the edge, by a good margin.  But the specialty restaurants tie.  

Where NCL has an edge, and this is a matter of preference… not everybody cares, are the Haven staff and ship officers who are friendly and accessible.  I cannot remember anyone from MSC, but NCL, lasting memories. 

Both great.  It is NCL HAVEN with an edge if money is not an issue.  However, the experience MSC YC offers is a very good choce if it is.  I feel blessed to have done them both. 

Edited by DMH15
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1