Taste of India Night in Sushi on 5

hampshirelad

Noticed that a couple of recent post have mentioned that there is a "Taste of India’ special night" in Sushi on 5.  . Sailing on the Silhouette out of Southampton on the 1st July and wondered if there is any more information about  this.  Possibly how often does it happen and when does it get flagged up. I can understand Celebrity doing something like this as I have never seen it busy in Sushi on 5 .

Many thanks

Check the evening menus for Sushi on 5 in the app.  Scroll across the days and if there is a Taj dinner it will show the menu and date.  You cannot book it pre cruise and it is pretty popular so ask when you board.  I think the price is $49 PP + gratuity.

I've also seen it show up in the app as its own restaurant called "Special Event: Taj X Dinner".  Clicking on the menu for that restaurant and scrolling through the days will show you which day it is scheduled for.  The price I see in the app is $59 pp (plus I assume gratuities).

My sense is that the Taj X dinners are begging to reappear more frequently after the resumption of sailing.  The first few cruises we were on after the global suspension I asked about the Taj X dinners and was told they were not on the schedule.   These dinners almost always sell out so if folks are interested then ask your dining room maitre'd.

It will be hard to miss if it is happening on your sailing - they displayed the menu prominently at the reception desk of every dining venue and on a separate "booking table" they had set up in various locations at various times. Not to mention the staff they had stationed at the buffet entrance to hawk specialty dining in general and special events in particular (on my recent AK sailing, they did an Alaskan seafood lunch as well as the Taj X night). 

It's called TAJ, and it's quite nice!  You cannot book in advance from home, you must book whilst on board.  But don't panic, there is no need at all to rush the guy selling dining packages/making specialty reservations when you board, the TAJ dinners were to our knowledge and observation, never sold out.  We just spent two months on the Eclipse (4 cruises in total) and TAJ was held once every cruise and if memory recalls, twice on the 18 night Sydney to Honolulu cruise.  I didn't save my receipt for the upcharge, but the fee was commensurate with the standard specialty restaurant dinner fee.  And to be clear, it's a straight fee, not a la carte pricing like Sushi on 5 normally is.  Forget all about Sushi on 5 for TAJ - Sushi on 5 is merely the space in which the TAJ dinner is held.  Food was excellent, nothing at all like what is served in the buffet which we find to be way too salty and blah.  The spice level for us was perfect - not mild but also not too hot - the spice level complemented the food instead of drowning it out - but I'm sure if you prefer something all consuming, you can definitely ask for the spice to be super high!  Look at the menu, but know in advance - you are getting ALLLL OF IT!  Yes, the entire menu is served to your table family style.  So for instance, if you are a group of 2, portions that are for two people are on the serving plates, if your group is a group of 6, enough for 6 - you get the picture.  But nonetheless, there is a LOT of food - at least, we sure felt that way.  We are careful eaters portion wise, so we paced ourselves, never actually finishing any one single dish as we knew more was coming.  ENJOY, highly recommend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Here are a couple of photo's of the Taj dinner we had on Millennium on our April-May cruise.

are you able to pinpoint where in the post the photos are?  33 pages are a lot to scroll through!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trinitygirl said:

are you able to pinpoint where in the post the photos are?  33 pages are a lot to scroll through!

If you click on the top part of that link, it should take you directly to that post.  At least that is how it worked for me in my browser.

• Like 1

Thank you - that time it took me right to the photos and yum!  And it answered my next question because the menu was provided and a vegetarian would be pretty happy with the options on that menu.  I hope I get the chance to partake!

thanks again,

Emma

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I hate to see too much food and know I'm going to waist it. I hope we can ask them to cut the portions down to 1 person vs 2.

There is no rule that you have to eat it all.  We did not finish everything in every course.

They did this a couple of times on our Silhouette cruise last month. It was $50 + 18% so about $60 which for me is poor value. It's a few little samples of each dish and some sides etc. In the UK we have great curry houses and I have lived in the Middle East too and had great curries. 

If you are American this might be good as I have never managed to find a decent curry in the US. 

20 minutes ago, Obobru said:

They did this a couple of times on our Silhouette cruise last month. It was $50 + 18% so about $60 which for me is poor value. It's a few little samples of each dish and some sides etc.

Sadly I'd have to agree, the only reason we might be tempted is a lack of alternative variety on an 'M' class ship, but even then it is marginal and we've not bothered so far...