Once and done with Norwegian. Ugh.

bobkat11

30 minutes ago, Snate said:

So, since I am going to be on the Prima in 2 weeks can anybody tell me if they are definitely not stopping in Isafjordur, Iceland?  I have a private tour set up that day and was wondering if the ship has stopped there on any of its voyages or if this was just a one off for not stopping.  If NCL knows they aren't going to stop there for whatever reason (not weather or something sudden but way in advance) I think its fraudulent on their part to not let the guests know who paid money to stop at that port.  

Snate, if anybody can tell you this, ask them for the lottery number as well. There is no way of knowing if ship is going to cancel any of the ports due to weather conditions. I know that when you booked the cruise, you press the I agree to cruise  conditions box. We all do, without reading it. Somewhere in those fine prints, there is a line that tells you that the cruise itinerary can change for any reason without prior notification.

Edited by destar
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, destar said:

Snate, if anybody can tell you this, ask them for the lottery number as well. There is no way of knowing if ship is going to cancel any of the ports due to weather conditions. I know that when you booked the cruise, you press the I agree to cruise  conditions box. We all do, without reading it. Somewhere in those fine prints, there is a line that tells you that the cruise itinerary can change for any reason without prior notification.

I actually said I understand not stopping based on weather.  I have an issue if they know for example 3 weeks before the sailing they won’t be stopping because of a known issue (dock being repaired, they don’t want to spend money on tenders, etc…). Totally different than weather.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But do those Good Samaritan laws provide legal protection for crew members who do not have medical training and know that there are crew members who do have that training?

I know I officiated high school sports for several years, and we were taught in case of an injury to a player we were to call the coaches who all had to have first aid training for their certification to coach, and to get away from the injured student/athlete. We also for legal liability reasons had to fill in a form with details like date, field conditions, etc. to have a contemporaneous report in case there was a lawsuit years later.

The officiating situation is a bit different because the coaches are right there.  Makes sense for you guys to wave in the coach and then get out of the way.  And thank you for being an official.  I coach a high school sport and I know firsthand how much we need more officials. 

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

crew members are acting in an official capacity and would not be considered good samaritans.

That's not true in my state.  Being an employee of the enterprise does not disqualify you from Good Samaritan laws.  Of course, that point is moot on an international cruise ship.

Had this happened in the US, it seems to me that an employee who becomes aware of a personal injury situation and then leaves the scene with no other employee on the scene is a liability for the enterprise. I believe most customer-serving enterprises train their employees to call for assistance and remain with the injured party until the assistance arrives.

1 hour ago, ExpatBride said:

Of course, but the common issue is see in both my experience and the OP's experience is that the crew didn't know how to respond. That should be part of their basic training. In a medical emergency, you do ABC and then XYZ until medical staff arrives.

If the crew can be trained to get people into lifeboats, they should be able to handle calling for medical assistance and asking people to stop being idiots and put their phones away.

Only very specific crew are trained to get people into life boats.   See my comment above - the training should be "Call for help, remain on scene until that help arrives"

59 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think most crew are trained to keep the areas clear until trained medical help arrives.  That probably IS the training.  Not saying they aren't capable of doing more.  It's probably ingrained in their training to allow medical personnel deal with medical issues.  I can't say I disagree with that

Agreed.  Seems the problem here is that none of the crew remained on scene.   It makes me wonder if they actually are trained as we think. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

The Observation Lounge was closed? For the whole week?!

I wonder if this was the one where the "art" dealers were having a VIP show and took over that lounge.  As I understand it, a couple of days in they opened up part of the OL.  I also believe everyone got some nice OBC and future cruise discounts.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, bobkat11 said:

The Observation Lounge, which would have been the single best place to pass extra time, was closed to the public for our whole cruise.

According to this post it wasn't closed for the whole cruise and everyone onboard got some OBC and future cruise discounts.   I'm far from an NCL apologist, but this sure sounds like a classic case of a bad start being allowed to ruin an entire vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snate said:

So, since I am going to be on the Prima in 2 weeks can anybody tell me if they are definitely not stopping in Isafjordur, Iceland? 

I was on the 5/14/23 Transatlantic from NYC and we did not stop at Isafjordur.  We were told it was "port congestion" which was a flat out lie.  I do not believe any of the Prima sailings have made it there due to the real reason of the dredging/port construction not being completed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snate said:

I have a private tour set up that day and was wondering if the ship has stopped there on any of its voyages or if this was just a one off for not stopping. 

not a one-off. so far, it's a three-off.

at least three successive cruises have skipped the port.

i was on the 5/14 and 5/25 sailings... port skipped.  several different reasons given.

1 hour ago, Agaveti said:

Probability says that if you sail with NCL again, you will most likely have a good time.

not on the prima. the odds are stacked against that. probability is high that you will encounter several challenging situations. i've detailed in my own review and in many posts some of those challenges. but briefly: in addition to apathetic senior officers, there are fundamental design flaws that may disrupt your sleep, prevent you from making full use of available space and getting a seat at the MDRs and the food hall. in addition, the entertainment schedule is decidedly lacking. the OP didn't have a good time because there are chronic and persistent problems on the prima that NCL has failed to address.

i'm a fan of NCL, have two cruises currently booked and will continue to cruise with them.

but never on the prima.

the prima is not ready for prime time.

31 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I'm far from an NCL apologist, but this sure sounds like a classic case of a bad start being allowed to ruin an entire vacation. 

the problems on the prima are systemic and persistent.

start, middle and end of the trip... a large number of people will face one or more serious challenges, especially if they book one of the rooms known to NCL to have a problem with excessive noise that will keep guests awake all night.

week after week, people come to cruise critic to voice their concerns about the prima. their stories are incredibly similar. they should be believed. i will say that it's entirely possible to sail the prima, have a great time, and never encounter any service problems or disruptions. but for those, including me, who do encounter problems, the problems are complex, debilitating and time consuming and do indeed threaten to ruin our vacations.

what NCL needs to do is issue a press release saying "we could have done better and we will do better. here's what we are doing to make the viva and other prima class ships more compatible with guest expectations. and here are the changes we will now implement on the prima to make it the best in class ship our customers deserve."

again, the prima is not ready for prime time!

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:02 PM, Obobru said:

Sounds like a couple of issues happened like the ports and because you had arrived in a bad mood from your flight issue you found fault with almost everything. The delay boarding was most likely a customs/immigration search on the ship they have been doing more in Southampton. The missed port and delayed port isn't ideal but you just sat in your room stewing away making it worse for yourself. 

Unfortunately this is how many humans react including myself, off to a bad start it's hard to get into the mood and have fun. My partner always pulls me back saying we can't change it so let's find what we can do and make the best of it. 

I am sure you will find a new cruise line you prefer, we are not loyal to any which I find is the best way as loads of cruise lines do similar itineraries.

As someone on the ship, the boarding issue was an IT failure with NCL. 

40 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

According to this post it wasn't closed for the whole cruise and everyone onboard got some OBC and future cruise discounts.   I'm far from an NCL apologist, but this sure sounds like a classic case of a bad start being allowed to ruin an entire vacation. 

Yes, as stated in my thread, the OL was partially opened for some of the cruise, only after extensive complaints. But they were broadcasting extremely loud art auction audio through the speakers in the entire lounge (even the passenger part), making it near impossible to enjoy being there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I'm always suspicious of posts that include statements like this.  It's as if they don't have confidence in what they are writing so they need to make a claim about others to support their statements. 

I can back the OP up on that claim - a LOT of passengers complained about issues, and I overheard many passengers talking about their issues by chance from being seated next to them in restaurants onboard. 

• Like 1

you know, it's funny... i just remembered... when i boarded the prima in NYC on 5/14, the people in the elevator with me at the manhattan cruise terminal had just disembarked from their bermuda cruise. and they were saying to the driver who picked them up and was assisting them with their luggage that "it was the worst cruise we've ever been on. long lines for everything. and then when you go to complain you gotta wait in other long lines. never again. horrible ship."

and i heard a lot of this type of thing from those on excursion busses and from nearby tables at the food hall and the MDRs and the local.

the point is that there is a lot of criticism out there about the prima, if you're open to hearing it and don't dismiss it as coming from curmudgeonly malcontents. people are passionate about their dislike for the prima.

but i honestly haven't seen the same passion from those who like the ship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snate said:

So, since I am going to be on the Prima in 2 weeks can anybody tell me if they are definitely not stopping in Isafjordur, Iceland?  I have a private tour set up that day and was wondering if the ship has stopped there on any of its voyages or if this was just a one off for not stopping.  If NCL knows they aren't going to stop there for whatever reason (not weather or something sudden but way in advance) I think its fraudulent on their part to not let the guests know who paid money to stop at that port.  

Agree 100%. We are in the same situation except our cruise is not until August.

It sounds more and more like NCL is taking the position that they have Isafjordur listed as dock (only Geiranger is listed as tender), and if they have to tender to get passengers there, they will not do it.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

The officiating situation is a bit different because the coaches are right there.  Makes sense for you guys to wave in the coach and then get out of the way.  And thank you for being an official.  I coach a high school sport and I know firsthand how much we need more officials. 

Yes, that is the way it SHOULD work.

It, however, becomes a problem when the young lady stealing second and the ball and glove all get there simultaneously. Your call is out, and then MIKE (the coach's name) because you see the girl is in trouble. (It ended up she had a concussion.) And then the coach is more interested in arguing that she is safe. (He somehow wanted an obstruction call, and even if he was right, which of course he was not, the unconscious girl should have been the only thing that mattered at the time!)

My partner and I ended up with the shortstop who was in tears making sure she knew she was not at fault even though the other team's coach seemed to be arguing that she was. And even though it was a varsity game, she was only a 7th grader. (She and I discussed this years later when she was playing in an adult league.)

And you're welcome. I am assuming you are a more responsible coach than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

According to this post it wasn't closed for the whole cruise and everyone onboard got some OBC and future cruise discounts. 

If I'm on the Prima in Norway, I want the use of the entire OL that I planned and paid for.  I don't want 1/3 of an OL, packed with people and showered with snobbish art show audio.  That's not what I went on Holiday for.  A few pennies worth of non-refundable OBC and a discount on a future cruise in no way compensated for a totally avoidable mess created by NCL.  Bad weather?  I get that.  Dock work that should have been completed my now?  Maybe.  The great OL-cluster of 2023?  No way, Jose.

• Like 11

Steak is sous vide so you run the chance of getting something that's been in the water much too long. Nothing like ordering medium rare and getting a steak that looks red/pink in the middle that's as dry as a rubber stamp. The next time I'm at Cagney's I'm not ordering a steak.

As for the Donna Summer musical, I thought it was wonderful when I saw it on Broadway as did anyone I know who saw it. I think as a rule, unless you make it a point to get to the venues early, you run the risk of not seeing "the best" of everything. I always love the activities in the atrium, sorry you didn't have a chance to see those, nothing like seeing people make fools of themselves in all sorts of ways. As for the weather and the ship, I agree that not all ships belong in that cool weather, but that's why sailing at this time of year was probably a lot less expensive.

43 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If I'm on the Prima in Norway, I want the use of the entire OL that I planned and paid for.  I don't want 1/3 of an OL, packed with people and showered with snobbish art show audio.  That's not what I went on Holiday for.  

I don't disagree with any of what you write.  I believe in the other thread I said as much.

10 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Has anyone tendered while sailing on the Prima? 

We were on the Prima in January. There were tenders to Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay.

Also, the Prima did almost nothing to impress us. (Okay, the cabin was nice...except for the constant rattling of the wall where the balcony door was.) The list of disappointments is long. Won't ever sail that ship again.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Geiranger is listed as tender

true, gerainger is listed as a tender.

however... good news!

the port has invested in one of those folding floating gangway dock thingies... so it is no longer a true tender port. they will float the walkway out to the ship and you just get off as if it were a regular port, with, albeit, a very long walkway.

now, they only have one of these as far as i know, so if there is more than one ship in port, only one can use this floating walkway and the others will have to tender.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'm always suspicious of posts that include statements like this.  It's as if they don't have confidence in what they are writing so they need to make a claim about others to support their statements. 

You should have been on our Prima cruise last January. You would have been hard pressed to find anyone that had anything positive to say about that ship. Trust me...we were involved in many of these conversations with numerous fellow disgruntled passengers (and overheard many, many...many more). 

Check the CC reviews of the Prima (including mine) if you don't believe it.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We were on the Prima in January. There were tenders to Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay.

Also, the Prima did almost nothing to impress us. (Okay, the cabin was nice...except for the constant rattling of the wall where the balcony door was.) The list of disappointments is long. Won't ever sail that ship again.

Sadly there will be thousands of other people in line behind you - people that have never been on the Prima - are not part of cruise critic - and do not read all of the reviews, that may or may not be new to NCL, and have no problem booking - more than likely based on a unique itinerary.

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

the point is that there is a lot of criticism out there about the prima, if you're open to hearing it and don't dismiss it as coming from curmudgeonly malcontents. people are passionate about their dislike for the prima.

but i honestly haven't seen the same passion from those who like the ship.

Agreed.  Other than the early review from @BirdTravels, I have not read much positive when it comes to Prima.  I have nothing booked on her, and I’d be very cautious about doing so moving forward. Almost every review I see about her has been mostly negative.

• Like 2

Pr1ma has been taking a bashing in the reviews. I’ve never been onboard and the complaints make me hesitant.  I’ve never sailed anything other than the Breakaway/+ size ships and have always been happy with my experiences, but the Pr1ma…..I don’t know?  (I’m the same way about Epic, never been, but boy the reviews….)

I realize much of a cruise experience is subjective so I take complaints about food, entertainment, room stewards, elevator capacity/speed etc with a grain of salt. Interesting and informative, but may not really apply or impact me.

However, the Pr1ma seems to have recurring complaints about venues, restaurant capacity, layout  and general operational issues.  Not all complaints are negative, many are positive, and a significant portion are anecdotal. But there is a theme……. I might just stick with the Breakaway class for awhile longer until the sample size increases and I can make a more informed decision. Are these just complainers complaining or is the Pr1ma an updated version of the Epic?  Initial reviews hint a little Epic could be in the mix.

Time will tell. Right now passengers are paying a premium to get onboard and the ships are full. I’m gonna wait…I know what to expect on the Escape, Bliss, Encore, Joy and Getaway.  Who knows,  maybe in 5 years I will only sail the Leonardo class ships (is that the official name?), but for right now, not so much. 

• Like 1