The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 17th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Eat Your Vegetables Day, Take a Road Trip Day, and World Juggling Day

A day without laughter is a day wasted.--Nicolas Chamfort

Meal Suggestion for today - Portobello Mushroom Burger
Drink of the Day - Coconut Spritzer
Wine of the Day - Pyramid Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir Canterbury Angel Flower 2020
Destination of the Day - Colon, Panama

Today in History:
1579 English navigator Francis Drake lands on the coast of California at Drakes Bay, names it "New Albion"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 6-18

Nieuw Statendam

Kiel, Germany 0800-1600

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 6-18

Oosterdam

Haifa, Tel Aviv-Nazareth, Israel 08:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Montreal, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Alta, Norway eta 18 Jun

0617World.thumb.png.d6c2011301897d299ac6486e4c9b3eed.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today's daily reports.

We regularly take road trips to the Lake District etc.

I usually eat all of my vegetables.

Excellent quote.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

Never been to today's port.

Today's day in history was historic.

Prayers offered to those who want them.

I hope everyone is well and you all have a happy day.

• Like 23

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I do eat my veggies and have had some interesting road trips.  I wonder if Luke Burrage is still juggling on BHB's.  Sir Francis Drake really got around.  I love the Chamfort quote but I think Colon last year  on the Eurodam is the first time I ever visited a port without even briefly getting off the ship.  OK for reboarding after a mid-canal excursion but not a place I liked being.  I'd take the burger without the mushrooms.  My alternative is a custom lido omelet as was part of my final meal on my Prinsendam 2015 European cruise (the photo is from the Eurodam last November):

omelet.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's a pretty nice morning with an orange sun just rising above the hilltops.  Temp is 66F, with a high of 86 expected but unfortunately more rain predicted this afternoon.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  This morning we have eat your vegetables, take a road trip and world juggling day.  I like lots of vegetables and try to eat them often.  I'm not a big fan of road trips anymore but DH has something in the works.  And no way am I a juggler!  The quote is very pleasant, and the day in history quite interesting.  I'd like to see Drake's route to get to California (or New Albion) in 1579.  

I am going to skip that portobello mushroom burger.  The Coconut spritzer doesn't sound too bad.  And I'm sure the pinot noir is quite nice.🍷  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their F&B reports.  

Prayers said (while on treadmill) for our Care list group. 🙏 First on my list though were my DB and my friend's DB Mark.  A special prayer for @srdancer who got the bad news about her ailment yesterday.  I hope treatment works well for you and nothing is transmitted in your household.  Prayers for Terry's @smitty34877 DH's upcoming surgery and for the whole household really.  Congrats to the Celebration list! 🥂  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for compiling the list for us all.  Safe travels today to Terri @Cruzin Terri and a big Bon Voyage from me.  🚢  My best wishes to Ren's Jaguars as they face some of the toughest teams in the 32 invited to the MLS Next Cup. 

News from me is I spotted two young deer hanging around all last evening back behind our house.  They were actually sprouting antlers, something I haven't seen on the deer herd that we see from our house.  I was wondering where all the antlers were!🦌

The port of the day is Colon, Panama.  We had that port before on Dec. 26, 2021 and Oct. 29, 2022.  I haven't stopped at Colon on cruises to that area.  I'm not sure I really want to!  I hope if you have some information or photos on Colon that you'll post it here today.  Here are the links for you.

Hoping everyone has a safe and successful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdamcer with C. Diff infection

Marshhawk recovering from Covid 

Victims of bus crash in Manitoba

Canadian wildfires and tornado victims in Texas

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

Dobiemom with continued vision issues

Ger_77’s DH with increased angina

Tana’s pulmonary issues

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s brother Mark with bile duct cancer

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care; Rosalynn with dementia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Pope Francis released from the hospital after abdominal surgery

Welcome home Nickelpenny!

Good luck to StLouisCruiser’s Ren and team

Norseh2o enjoying time in France

Sharon in AZ at Mt Lemmon for a week

Catmando became a non-smoker and marshhawk cutting down

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

4 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina June 21 to July 23)

aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely morning here. We had a very brief, but wild T-storm blow through here yesterday afternoon. Cleared the air, the sun came back out and it was perfect pool weather. In spite of all the recent rain, my pool water is holding at 89. 

Vanessa, thank you for capturing & sharing our happenings.  Just Zumba, Bindi walks, prep for tonight’s dinner and then my neighbors arrive for pool time (weather permitting) and dinner. 

IMG_1395.jpeg.fcdf76eb1d0db7cbcfaf100bd05b4c84.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg.209a8529e33d6a2b236ac348ef0370ac.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone. 

Pyramid Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir Canterbury Angel Flower 2020

If you live in New Zealand or the UK, you are in luck. You might find this lovely Pinot Noir locally.  In the I did find one New Zealand distributor that ships worldwide offering it for $77.93 + shipping. 

Raymond Chan’s wine review

Pinot Noir from New Zealand - Canterbury & Waipara

Review Date : 17-Apr-2023
Moderately deep dusty crimson, lighter on edge. This has a grounding energy on the bouquet, with deep aromas of cherry, wild raspberry, sous bois, balsamic, hibiscus and spice. Medium-bodied, cherry and wild raspberry aromas melded with cacao nibs, sous bois, hibiscus, nutmeg and cinnamon. The aromatics are pretty, with good energy, yet savoury, with strength, lengthening on an earthy palate, unfolding minerals and spice. Match with game fowls and black truffle pasta over the next 5-7 years. Handpicked, hand sorted, fully destemmed and fermented with yeast from vineyard to 13.5% alc, on skins for 21-27 days. Aged in French wooden cuves and barrels for 18 months. Unfined, unfiltered. Biodynamic certified. 19/20 pts (95 pts)
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, my apologies somehow my finger hit the quote and cannot delete it.  I hope things go really well for Ren and his team this weekend.

Thanks for the Fleet and Daily reports Rich.  We eat our vegetables in this house.  No juggling here.   Yes, a good laugh does make the day.   Never been to Colon.   Will pass on the meal, the cocktail and the rare wine.   Thanks for all the work to pull these together for us each day.  

@JazzyVthanks for keeping our Care and Celebrations reports up to date for us each day.  Prayers for those needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

My DS and DBIL decided to try to drive our washed out road and we had a nice visit.  We are hosting dinner on Father's Day for that day and three June birthdays, not mine.  We got a message our road work will probably commence on Monday.  Hopefully we can get our boat in on Wednesday.  National holiday on Monday dictates we go to town on Tuesday to get 2 weeks of accumulated mail and then head to the "big city" for lettuce and veggies.   Weeding and string trimming again here today.  Have a lovely Saturday.  Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. The local news stations warn that the smoky air will return but so far it is at 53 and moderate. Showers are expected later this afternoon.

I used to love road trips but find them physically challenging now. Vegetables are consumed here at a rapid pace. My DB and I saw a juggler/comedian on a HAL voyage that has us laughing so hard we cried. All I have to do is mention the “plastic bags” and we will start laughing again. It was so silly that it was funny….maybe you had to be there!

We have not been to the port but like the quote and the recipe idea.

Today the requested meal included Mac and cheese and a greens dish. The teenager has brought home several Juneteenth recipes for us to try and these sounded good. 
Have a great day everyone.

• Like 24

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I eat my veggies every day.  I would love to take a road trip soon.  Hats off to jugglers, an ability that I wasn’t gifted with.  I like today’s quote.  I think I’ll pass on the meal and drink suggestions.  Have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events! 🎉

• Like 20

thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

and thanks Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie for your dedication.

Interesting collection of days.  I do my best to eat my veggies - I just have to remember to make them.  😉. I’ll pass on the juggling - I’m useless at it and a road trip by myself does not appeal to me.

I like today’s quote but days that you can’t laugh aren’t necessarily wasted.  We enjoyed Colon actually. Did a HAL tour to the Embera Indian village (probably socially incorrect to call it that now) many years ago - enjoyable - even the dug out logs we got to the village over the water in.

IMG_0748.thumb.jpeg.0e72e364753f9fb699317b7d388f4158.jpeg

Looks like this weekend is a real mixed weather bag.  Yesterday was rainy so I dressed warm and by noon it was scorching.  Watered the thirsty plants last night and it rained after!  sheesh.  They are calling for rain most of the weekend but I think I will just wait and see.  Weatherman wasn’t right yesterday so who knows?  The weather & my back will dictate today’s itinerary.

IMG_0729.jpeg.16214d538fb6f99b205fd43a288a4356.jpeg

Pass on the meal suggestion.  It’s Father’s Day weekend and there is normally a sale on lobster.  There’s one again although it’s $5 more per pound than it used to be.  I think you can guess what my dinner will be 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.9269a2634d8f3d38b5b349fd2cd06d4f.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!

• Like 28
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

We had bad thunderstorms yesterday. A house up the street from me apparently got hit by lightning. In fact, there were reports that several homes were hit in the area. Of course, the storm started just as I was leaving for an appointment, so I go a little wet. 

Today the plan is to neaten up the deck and get the new furniture out. Have some errands to run as well. 

I had my first portobello mushroom burger at the Pennsylvania Farm Show many years ago and was an instant fan. 

Thinking of everyone today. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. Mostly sunny today with some rain this afternoon. We are celebrating Father’s Day tonight at a steak house chosen by my DH. Couldn’t get a reservation for tomorrow. So many tornadoes around makes it very scary to see all the destruction.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

Good morning from a cloudy central Texas, and I hoping it stays that way until after I finish the yard work.  Currently it is 72F and feels like 72F.  👏   The humidity is 97% with a dew point of 72F, so the humidity should drop some as the sun warms the air.  The weather app says we will reach 95F with a chance of strong thunderstorms this afternoon and evening.  I hope we get some of the predicted rain or otherwise, I'll need to turn the sprinklers back on.  

We try to eat our vegetables and fruit everyday, but some days you just need to indulge in junk food.  We will sometimes take a day road trip in the country just to get out of the house, but that has been curtailed in the last couple of years.  With all the aggressive drivers, it's just not that much fun anymore.  I am not a fan of jugglers, but like may they deserve their own day.

Laughter any day is good, but I agree with Jacqui, @kazu that a day is not wasted without laughter.  It's just not as much fun.

Our vegetarians would probably like today's meal, and the wine sounds good, but it's more than I want to pay for a bottle of wine.  We'll pass on the drink.

We were in Colon in 2009 on the Statendam.  I was glad we didn't get out of the bus.

Francis Drake helped open up the world with his voyages.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers  sending good wishes to Ren and the Jaguars for a good tournament without any unsportsman play from the other teams.

Terry, @smitty34877 I'm betting most of the Juneteenth dishes are what is now called Soul Food.  A lot of southern comfort dishes were developed by the slaves for their meals using the leftovers and less desirable cuts of meat that made up their diets.

Carol @mamaofami enjoy your Father's Day dinner tonight.

Terri, @Cruzin Terri  hope your flights today go smoothly and your luggage stays with you.

347236401_156091607460200_3989992706947854990_n.jpg.8cd50dadf1a50cab0f25bb83faca0c48.jpg

346973903_1725554781234583_4506811805301672992_n.jpg.7c3b2755c88b2026e290c3e66d5451aa.jpg

343650093_7316303558402374_5565805183050709247_n.thumb.jpg.10ed8cbf5123c62c94d753367802ce07.jpg

344365509_937783057467690_1412516231557823802_n.jpg.29342a2f29dd041a17a17f9a4f42910e.jpg

344900361_179244175061865_8140191298625270183_n.thumb.jpg.c13a62bc27c1069666a310b072ec98a8.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

We have been to Colon once in 2009 when Statendam had a change of itinerary and spent the day on the west coast of Panama.  We took the train over to Colon and the bus back across the isthmus.  We only saw Colon from the bus and that was more than enough.  I hope the Panamanian government is spending money to improve that side of Panama.

IMG_5170.thumb.JPG.722699cd7d324e4b35ec8720ddcb3197.JPG

IMG_5171.thumb.JPG.1666e2462819fb2859d3136ab3b6183b.JPG

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.e23abcff9fa484a9707eee34ca1aafc8.JPG

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.3eef4ffcec73f18bcb325395ecd4b2a9.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a very rainy Jacksonville.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping this thread going.

I just want to check in before we head to the airport.

We are taking the hotel shuttle and leaving our car at the hotel.

We are having breakfast at one of the Lounges at the airport and then board our flight at 12:09 to JFK.  We have a 5 hour layover there.

Here’s hoping that the agent will be kind to us and check the luggage through since we have two different booking numbers. (Long story).  Then we will not have to pick up our luggage in JFK and recheck and go through security again.  Keeping our fingers crossed.

Will post more later. 

Need to get this Ipad packed so that I can get out of her.

More later.

Have a good day everyone and prayers for all.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28

3 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning from a very rainy Jacksonville.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping this thread going.

I just want to check in before we head to the airport.

We are taking the hotel shuttle and leaving our car at the hotel.

We are having breakfast at one of the Lounges at the airport and then board our flight at 12:09 to JFK.  We have a 5 hour layover there.

Here’s hoping that the agent will be kind to us and check the luggage through since we have two different booking numbers. (Long story).  Then we will not have to pick up our luggage in JFK and recheck and go through security again.  Keeping our fingers crossed.

Will post more later. 

Need to get this Ipad packed so that I can get out of her.

More later.

Have a good day everyone and prayers for all.

God Bless,

Terri

Safe travels, Terri!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  Today is cooler than yesterday.  I did some more weeding this morning until the rain started again.  Heavy rain is expected later.  We are considering a trip to Providence for an outdoor event but expect the rain will keep us away.  I’ll replace the mushroom with bacon and enjoy a good burger for lunch. Wishing everyone a good Saturday.

image.thumb.png.33e24bf138384c04fbc779e5da258a60.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 15

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  It is 63F now with a high of 80F expected this afternoon.  Nothing on the agenda today except for a nice walk and weeding the garden.  

We eat our vegetables daily in this house.  One of my two complaints about the food on the BHBs is that they are stingy with the vegetables.  I remember one meal where they served a fish with zucchini.  I asked for extra zucchini and got 4 little round slices of zucchini.  Seriously?  My other issue is that so much of it seems to involve sugar.  Sugar crusted this, candied that.  Oh, well.  No jugglers here and we took our road trip last weekend.  

Today's meal is a good one.  I remember when portobello burgers became a big hit.  I rather liked them as I was going through my vegetarian phase. This recipe caught my eye with the balsamic vinegar for drizzling.   https://www.loveandlemons.com/portobello-mushroom-burger/

portobelloburger1.jpg.64908263fefbeaeb6a8c140bf6646638.jpg

This one looks good with the melted cheese on it.  Marinating the portobello is even better!   https://www.skinnytaste.com/the-best-grilled-portobello-mushroom/

portobelloburger2.jpg.fa31cb2baa16b410880b8e87436a241e.jpg

This last one sounds delightful with the boursin cheese spread.   Mmmmm.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a35928542/portobello-mushroom-burgers/

portobelloburger3.thumb.jpg.1315ff5b83abed7a22eb45818f148f53.jpg

Hey, Jake, @Crazy For Cats, why not put your bacon on the portobello?   

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We eat vegetables of some kind almost every day, either fresh or cooked.  We sometimes take day trips out of the city just to see what's happening in smaller towns in the area.  I haven't planned a long road trip in years, but they were fun; now you'd run yourself into the poor house just with hotel accommodations alone.  Not a fan of jugglers, but appreciate the skill it takes.  DH and I laugh at something pretty much every day.

DH was medically disembarked in Colon and transferred to Panama City; once was enough, there's no need to go back.  @Quartzsite Cruiser's photos pretty much sum it up, minus the drug dealers and ladies in waiting.

It's a cool, cloudy morning out there today and there's a stiff breeze as well, so it's looking like long pants and t shirts will be the order of the day.  Last night was enjoyable; DH and his band had an early evening gig, then our friend (and bandmate) who lost his wife last year came home with him and we spent a few hours on the deck having great conversation, Aperol spritzes and snacks.  Surprisingly there weren't any mosquitos, which was really nice.

Nothing much on the agenda today, just more sewing - I've made 13 sets of coasters already and have more fabric to go through.  DH wants to work on some old pieces of his music, so I'll have some nice melodies to accompany the sewing machine.  I'd like to try the drink of the day, would like a sip of the wine if someone offers it to me, and will pass on the menu option.  We've got a freezer full of smokies now (in advance of our annual summer barbecue), so DH will cook some of them up on the barbecue.  I'll make a Greek salad (vegetables) and that's what we'll enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25