Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

3 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

I just do not get all the pushback by people when talking about the YC and outside guests.  I do not feel it is people being uppity.  It is a matter of paying for a certain level of service and exclusivity.  When you have paid for this level why should you be good with others taking advantage for free of something you paid for.   Also, by using resources in the exclusive area that might have an impact on your level of service received.  

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

It’s like buying a business class seat on a flight and somebody in coach taking your seat when you go to the bathroom 

I think in both these situations, the establishment should take care of things. On a flight, if someone took my seat, I would alert a crew member and let them care of it. That's their job and I'm not getting paid to do their job.

I don't think it's pushback. No one thinks anyone should be taken advantage of or that YC should be a free for all.

I think the parts that caused some difference of opinion aren't with true confirmed interlopers but the risk of profiling people who seem "out of place" or "look like" they don't or shouldn't belong in YC, and I think we can all agree how that's a bad slippery slope to go down. (Unless you're a silver-haired and fit George Clooney-lookalike, then you obviously belong in YC! 😂)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

I just went back to FB to see if I could find it, but it must have been taken down. There were a lot of comments yesterday. Mine was "Interlopers."  😃

It could be construed as sophistry "the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving)," or verisimilitude by euphony "( the appearance of being true by pleasing or sweet sound)" ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skipsaur said:

I think the parts that caused some difference of opinion aren't with true confirmed interlopers but the risk of profiling people who seem "out of place" or "look like" they don't or shouldn't belong in YC, and I think we can all agree how that's a bad slippery slope to go down. (Unless you're a silver-haired and fit George Clooney-lookalike, then you obviously belong in YC! 😂)

No. As much as one may like this to be true and cause upset. I actually asked the pool attendant how he could pick out the interlopers from the paying YCers. DW and I could not tell the difference between ourselves and the interlopers. Most our fellow YCers looked like the rest of us. Half of us looked like we belonged in a circus. He said the best give away is they do not make direct eye contact with the staff and many flaunt the no smoking rules. Sometimes they even bring their beige pool towels with them. (Remember he stopped my DW to check her cabin card).We are not dealing with the steathiest interlopers on the planet.

P.S. Actually one of the seven he caught I thought was George Clooney . 

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Who should care are all those that can not find, lounges and pergolas (already hogged by suite guests as well),and those of us that are made to wait in a longer line in the stifling hot sun for the Seafood Extravaganza to the point that some have posted that they just leave the One Pool Deck it being too long a wait to get to the buffet. These same interlopers feel they can also smoke anywhere they squat and never in the designated smoking area. We are paying for exclusivity and do not want to 'rub elbows' with interlopers. Squatting in ones reserved pergola is harassment. We tip extra to keep them away from us. On this cruise the pool attendant was so intimidated by the YC guests that invited their friends and family into the YC for the Seafood Extravaganza he allowed them all to finish their meals before asking them to leave so paying YC guests, still waiting, had a place to sit.

Well this just makes me NOT want to sail on MSC.   And I think that if I am in YC, I should at least once a cruise be allowed 1 guest to come in for a couple of hours to visit. Not too much to ask for a couple of hours. Perhaps that person wanted to test out the area to see if it was something they wanted to book on next cruise.

Sounds to me like YC folks are looking around trying to notice who they can chase out.  Keeping score just a bit. It sounds a bit snotty.

It is one thing to drag in 2-3 folks in every day but just 1 person for a one time only visit should be allowed.  They could add $10 or so to my room bill if I wanted a guest for just a couple hours to sample.  nope MSC might not be for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It could be construed as sophistry "the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving)," or verisimilitude by euphony "( the appearance of being true by pleasing or sweet sound)" ?

Truly a Wordsmith, Sir. A master of the vocabulary. Color me impressed. 📑  ✏️ 📝  🥂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well this just makes me NOT want to sail on MSC.   And I think that if I am in YC, I should at least once a cruise be allowed 1 guest to come in for a couple of hours to visit. Not too much to ask for a couple of hours. Perhaps that person wanted to test out the area to see if it was something they wanted to book on next cruise.

Sounds to me like YC folks are looking around trying to notice who they can chase out.  Keeping score just a bit. It sounds a bit snotty.

It is one thing to drag in 2-3 folks in every day but just 1 person for a one time only visit should be allowed.  They could add $10 or so to my room bill if I wanted a guest for just a couple hours to sample.  nope MSC might not be for me.

I don't think any cruise would allow this. Maybe but I was in Celebrity Retreat last year and I would have never even considered inviting someone in with me. We invited people to see our suite and balcony but that was it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

huh?   ya just gave me a headache trying to understand what ya just said.  oh well

35 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I don’t think they would say anything if you were showing someone around…I know they can come to your room..we are talking about groups of people taking over the area…some one spoke of getting cussed out for wanting use of their paid for cabana..

But honestly, why have an exclusive area if it’s really not exclusive? 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I don't think any cruise would allow this. Maybe but I was in Celebrity Retreat last year and I would have never even considered inviting someone in with me. We invited people to see our suite and balcony but that was it. 

My friends took me into the retreat to check it out. Nobody else was in there. I certainly wouldn’t have started helping myself to a seafood buffet or stayed of others were there. They also had us in their suite a few times and invited us to join them one night for dinner, which they were charged for. It worked, we booked a suite before we were off the ship!  

43 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well this just makes me NOT want to sail on MSC.   And I think that if I am in YC, I should at least once a cruise be allowed 1 guest to come in for a couple of hours to visit. Not too much to ask for a couple of hours

If EVERYONE sailing in the Yacht Club tries to bring in 1 guest, what would be the result?

If you are allowed to bring in someone, everyone else would also be allowed to bring in someone.

That defeats the purpose of an exclusive area if non-Yacht Club guests occupy that area.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I feel like this when I walk by first class seats on a plane.  I think I should sit down to experience whether or not I want to fly that way.  I also swim in strangers pools to see if I would like one like theirs.  Sometimes when on the beach in NJ at Stone Harbor, I sit down on a recliner at one of the beach front properties and help myself to their BBQ.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, jean87510 said:

Yes I feel like this when I walk by first class seats on a plane.  I think I should sit down to experience whether or not I want to fly that way.  I also swim in strangers pools to see if I would like one like theirs.  Sometimes when on the beach in NJ at Stone Harbor, I sit down on a recliner at one of the beach front properties and help myself to their BBQ.  

well good for you then,

But I still stand by that if I approach a crew member and ask if I can bring in ONE person for just a short while so they can decide if they want to book in future, then folks should not stare or point of be nasty.

The impression I am getting is the exclusiveness breeds attitude sometimes. 

If you are the YC keep your nose down and read a book and don't keep track of new faces and then try to complain or have them removed.

I have been a guest for a couple of hours on NCL Haven and no one acted like they seem to do on MSC.  

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If EVERYONE sailing in the Yacht Club tries to bring in 1 guest, what would be the result?

If you are allowed to bring in someone, everyone else would also be allowed to bring in someone.

That defeats the purpose of an exclusive area if non-Yacht Club guests occupy that area.

Man I really doubt everyone is trying to do this.  Like I said, I would ask if someone was interested in future sailing in YC.   

Again, seems like folks in YC are looking around like hawks protecting their nest.  Not appealing at all.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Hoping you have a good time on the other cruise lines!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mafig said:

So then don't book YC.

Did you book the Haven after you were a guest there?

nope the pandemic happened  and now with all the negatives about NCL, I won't.

besides, no views of the ocean.   At least YC does have that.  But still not interested in MSC as they get a lot of mixed reviews even though their ships are very pretty inside.  Need to up their game with food and entertainment for the USA departures.

And I think that if I am in YC, I should at least once a cruise be allowed 1 guest to come in for a couple of hours to visit. Not too much to ask for a couple of hours.

You absolutely can do this...in your stateroom.  You are free to host any guest you like.  You have an included minibar and depending on the length of the cruise, a choice of liquor or champagne with which you can entertain your guest.  To think you should be allowed to host a guest in the YC common areas is simply entitled preposterousness.  IMO of course.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You absolutely can do this...in your stateroom.  You are free to host any guest you like.  You have an included minibar and depending on the length of the cruise, a choice of liquor or champagne with which you can entertain your guest.  To think you should be allowed to host a guest in the YC common areas is simply entitled preposterousness.  IMO of course.

well if the crew member says yes, then folks need to mind their own business.

again, me thinks folks in YC are looking to find issues and should mind their own business if a crew member says yes for a couple of hours.   

Should I in the other common areas outside the YC complain and send you back to where you should be.  hmmmm.  I mean again sounds like MSC is not for me given some attitudes.   It is a bit different on NCL.

39 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Again, seems like folks in YC are looking around like hawks protecting their nest.  Not appealing at all.

I never saw this...not even one time.  I certainly wasn't looking around wondering if the person next to me "belonged" there.  Not being in favor of interloping is not the same as policing the area in search of the interlopers.  I can have the opinion that one who hasn't paid shouldn't be in YC without actually going out of my way to verify that those who are there, are allowed to be based on their paid cabin category.  

• Like 4

It is definitely not for people like you. Firstly, whenever we "snotty" enter a venue we are looking for an available spot. Not finding one because of sailing at full or near full capacity makes us even more 'irritable'. Your choice of words also indicates your wanting to pick a fight. I looked up the word "snotty" to make sure of this accusation. We would have preferred  even 'snooty' to your "snotty".

Synonyms of snotty
  • aristocratic.
  • arrogant.
  • snooty.
  • snobbish.
  • snobby.
  • elitist.
  • ritzy.
  • smug.......You chose a pejorative intentionally. The second thing we would do is scan the venue for unfamiliar faces, hoping the venue was over-run with interlopers that might be removed by management when approached by staff and asked how they can help. Third, we would turn around and think of something else to do or go because we chose the wrong cruise ship that caters to people like you.
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well if the crew member says yes, then folks need to mind their own business.

Agreed.  If a crew member allowed it (wrong though it may be), I would not get bent out of shape.

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Should I in the other common areas outside the YC complain and send you back to where you should be.  hmmmm.  I mean again sounds like MSC is not for me given some attitudes.   It is a bit different on NCL.

Apples to oranges because YC passengers have paid to be EVERYWHERE on the ship, including YC.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It is definitely not for people like you. Firstly, whenever we "snotty" enter a venue we are looking for an available spot. Not finding one because of sailing at full or near full capacity makes us even more 'irritable'. Your choice of words also indicates your wanting to pick a fight. I looked up the word "snotty" to make sure of this accusation. We would have preferred  even 'snooty' to your "snotty".

Synonyms of snotty
  • aristocratic.
  • arrogant.
  • snooty.
  • snobbish.
  • snobby.
  • elitist.
  • ritzy.
  • smug.......You chose a pejorative intentionally. The second thing we would do is scan the venue for unfamiliar faces, hoping the venue was over-run with interlopers that might be removed by management when approached by staff and asked how they can help. Third, we would turn around and think of something else to do or go because we chose the wrong cruise ship that caters to people like you.

are you done now.  do you feel better.

everywhere is crowded on ships but I do not look to see whom belongs.  

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agreed.  If a crew member allowed it (wrong though it may be), I would not get bent out of shape.

Apples to oranges because YC passengers have paid to be EVERYWHERE on the ship, including YC.

well if you paid for YC then you should use it.

again sounds like many folks on this thread are watching what everyone else does in YC.