Wide Feet Walking Shoes

If this has been covered, sorry for the repeat.  Looking for a comfortable pair of walking shoes for Europe land/cruise.  I have a wide foot, high instep.  I'm older so style isn't as important as comfort.  🙂

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have many goofy 'foot issues' and have had for years.  After careful trial and expensive error, I've settled on the styles I can wear and the brands that work for me.  So often the shoes are fine for a couple of wearings, then become monsters who try to eat my toes. 

I suggest you troll online at Zappos or Amazon (or maybe they're the same now) using your size and width as filters.  I've also had good luck with Maryland Square, but their shipping is outrageous.  Order some shoes, put shower caps on your feet and walk around for a good long time.  Analyze your socks (I probably have 200 pairs of socks) and switch them if you need to.  Do not fool yourself that the shoes are fine; be very critical during this try-on experiment.  It's a lot of effort, but I'm at the point now where my feet are generally comfortable and I can order new shoes with more confidence.  Goodwill is seeing a lot less of me these days.

• Like 1

I would try Altra brand shoes. They are a natural foot shaped shoe but not a minimalist shoe. They offer different levels of cushioning and have arch support. They ARE a zero drop shoe which means that the heel and toe are level with absolutely no heel of any sort. If you look at even the flattest sandal there is normally a slight heel as most shoe makers have. Even if you wear flats, you might need to allow yourself time to adjust zero drop. But these are among the most comfortable shoes in terms of support and toe box room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lakegirl16 said:

If this has been covered, sorry for the repeat.  Looking for a comfortable pair of walking shoes for Europe land/cruise.  I have a wide foot, high instep.  I'm older so style isn't as important as comfort.  🙂

Thanks!

Are you looking for leather walking shoes or for athletic sneaker-type walking shoes?

18 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

Sneaker type I think?  Thx.  

I love my Hoka Cliftons. They have a lot of cushioning but also enough structure to hold up and not make your feet feel fatigued on the hard pavements (and especially the cobblestones) of Europe.

Some colors come in wide sizes. My feet are not the narrowest but are find in the their normal width, so I'm guessing the wides are roomy.

Also, they are very popular right now. You'll see many others wearing Hokas too. (Americans on your ship and in Europe. Not such much Europeans....although athletic-style shoes ARE very popular among Europeans now as well, so you won't feel out of place.)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fellow fussy feet sufferer here. These leather sneakers by Birkenstock are my go-to for long days of walking. They are very comfortable with a wide toe bed, cork insole that molds to your foot, and leather that resists downpours and generally unpleasant conditions. I think they are low profile enough to go with almost any outfit. Birkenstocks work really well for me and I own different shoes and sandals. 

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/bend-natural-leather/bendlow-smoothleather-naturalleather-0-rubber-u_2.html

D163BE15-6813-473F-AB1E-B82C71CC8964.jpeg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

Fellow fussy feet sufferer here. These leather sneakers by Birkenstock are my go-to for long days of walking. They are very comfortable with a wide toe bed, cork insole that molds to your foot, and leather that resists downpours and generally unpleasant conditions. I think they are low profile enough to go with almost any outfit. Birkenstocks work really well for me and I own different shoes and sandals. 

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/bend-natural-leather/bendlow-smoothleather-naturalleather-0-rubber-u_2.html

D163BE15-6813-473F-AB1E-B82C71CC8964.jpeg

I liked these but found them very heavy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

I liked these but found them very heavy

That is true, they are a substantial shoe and not lightweight. In fact, I wear these on my travel days so I don’t have to pack them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have "duck feet" wide with a narrow heel.  I wear a size 7 US and have been trying to find a comfortable yet cute white sneaker.  I just received (thank you Amazon) a pair of OnCloud5 white sneakers and I think they may be the one!  So lightweight, easy to slip on and off and comfy! I'm wearing them around the house today just to make sure my feet are happy.  Not a bargain at $170.  Here are a few pics. Sorry the pics are sideways.  Anyone know how to fix that?

cloud5.jpg

me in cloud5.jpg

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have flat, wide feet and a pulled tendon that acts up from time to time among other foot issues.  I've been buying from Orthofeet and I have a pair of Birkenstocks.  I wore a pair of their MaryJane's and a pair of sandals from them all through Europe last year.  My tendon can be quite troublesome, but I suffered no problems with it while there wearing the Orthofeet shoes.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My feet have gotten wider, for some reason.  I guess aging does that!  I wear Birkenstocks, probably have 20+ pairs.  They have nice ones that have the thong going between your big toe and 2nd digit toe that are somewhat nice looking to wear with a sundress, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JanetMarie said:

My feet have gotten wider, for some reason.  I guess aging does that!  I wear Birkenstocks, probably have 20+ pairs.  They have nice ones that have the thong going between your big toe and 2nd digit toe that are somewhat nice looking to wear with a sundress, etc. 

I love my Birkenstocks too! I have multiple sandals plus some sneakers, which are great when it looks like rain is in the forecast. I have wide feet with past bunion surgeries, so comfort is Priority #1. 

• Thanks 1

SAS shoes are my favorite. (San Antonio Shoe Company.) Lots of styles and W to WW availability on most. They are known for their high toe boxes (on closed-toe styles) and being made in USA. They are not cheap but wear very well. I recommend their “Free Time” and “Tour” styles. The Tour is definitely a sneaker but the Free Time comes in both smooth and brushed leather and are less sneaker-ish.

BTW I used to be a HUGE Birkenstock fan - year round! Then one day out of the blue I just couldn’t wear them - they hurt my feet! Inexplicable but it did open my eyes to alternatives. 

• Like 1