Southampton Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation

We *usually* stay in London a couple of days pre-cruise but for our next sailing in November we think we might want to stay in Southampton for a change.  We have *no* familiarity with hotels there...would like to hear others' experience.  I took a *very* quick look on the Marriott site...saw the Moxy for a pretty low price and it seems to have really good reviews...but still would like to hear from others.  Especially if Moxy is not a good choice!

1 minute ago, tony s said:

White Star Tavern. Central location great food. Only downside no elevator but they carry bags and real good service 

Thanks for the quick reply.  It sounds as if maybe this is a "typical" very small European/English establishment since you say "no elevator".  (Narrow stairs?) I take it you've stayed there?

I've not stayed at the Moxy (or any other Southampton hotel - why should I, my own bed is half-an-hour away 😏)

But it and other nearby hotels including the next-door Premier Inn West Quay (the UK's best budget brand) are in the ideal location - convenient for shops, pubs, restaurants and Southampton's few tourist sights. And walkable with wheeled luggage from train & coach stations & two or three of the cruise terminals.

One of those hotels, the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave (not to be confused with the city's two H.I. Express's) overlooks City Cruise Terminal, which makes t a favourite for those sailing RCI or Celebrity or NCL which normally use City Cruise Terminal.

A precis and useful little map at

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB 🙂

• Like 1

I have stayed in Southampton - 1x at Holiday Inn Herbert Walker, then I switched to 5x at Premier Inn West Quay.

With a few people staying at Moxy, I am wondering if the Moxy is like the Premier Inn West Quay. 

Has anybody stayed at both?  Which hotel do you prefer?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn by the cruise port in early June.  Great hotel. The location is excellent and the hotel itself was clean, staff was amazing. They also have a great breakfast to start your day. 

On 6/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

We *usually* stay in London a couple of days pre-cruise but for our next sailing in November we think we might want to stay in Southampton for a change.  We have *no* familiarity with hotels there...would like to hear others' experience.  I took a *very* quick look on the Marriott site...saw the Moxy for a pretty low price and it seems to have really good reviews...but still would like to hear from others.  Especially if Moxy is not a good choice!

Close to the terminal? - Southampton Harbour

Boutique Hotel? - Pig in the Wall

Old English Pub/Hotel? The White Star

Personal favourite being Lime Wood - Not close to the Terminal

On 6/26/2023 at 8:45 AM, ckmedsec said:

We stayed at the Holiday Inn by the cruise port in early June.  Great hotel. The location is excellent and the hotel itself was clean, staff was amazing. They also have a great breakfast to start your day. 

We are considering a cruise out of Southampton.  How did you get from airport to hotel and then to port?  

3 hours ago, dcruisers said:

Do any hotels break the Southampton port offer shuttle from airport to hotel or from hotel to port?

Don’t know of any Hotel free shuttles from Southampton Airport then to Port.

Airport Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced.  Best to book one’s Hotel/Port Taxi advance as best (most agreeable) times are booked first.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Details

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Don’t know of any Hotel free shuttles from Southampton Airport then to Port.

Airport Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced.  Best to book one’s Hotel/Port Taxi advance as best (most agreeable) times are booked first.

We would have to book a taxi in advance? How would we book them prior to arrival? We are use to having taxis waiting outside hotels or airports. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:45 AM, ckmedsec said:

How did you get to the port? Did the  hotel call a taxi for you or did you book a private car?

27 minutes ago, dcruisers said:

We would have to book a taxi in advance? How would we book them prior to arrival? We are use to having taxis waiting outside hotels or airports. 

If unsure, then ask one’s Hotel Concierge to arrange a Taxi, or if preferred a Limo, from Hotel to Port prior to arrival.  This is just one of the many functions of a Concierge.  No angst…

7 hours ago, dcruisers said:

We are considering a cruise out of Southampton.  How did you get from airport to hotel and then to port?  

Which airport are you talking about Southampton airport or Heathrow - LHR (London)?

We always stay at the Moxy using Marriott points. It is a good location to get an evening meal, parking at the nearby mall is reasonable and they now give a free drink on arrival- will report back on Thursday! There are always loads of people waiting for their taxi to the cruise port in reception so I'm sure it is not a problem. I would say it is a little above premier inn and the like.

22 minutes ago, Sn0cruiser said:

Is the Moxy within walking distance of the Princess Cruise Terminal in Southampton if you only have checked luggage (small backpacks) ?  

Princess use three different terminals at Southampton - the QE2 and Mayflower terminals would both be about a 35 minute walk (1.5 miles), and the Ocean terminal is closer - about 20 minutes (1 mile).

If your cruise is in 2023 you can find out which terminal it’s scheduled to dock at here:

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk//Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

(Berth 38/9 = QE2 Terminal, Berth 46 = Ocean Terminal, Berth 106 = Mayflower Terminal)

Edited by gumshoe958

On 6/26/2023 at 7:45 AM, ckmedsec said:

Hi.  Can you tell me whether or not you experienced any problems getting a taxi to the Cruise Port on the morning of embarkation?  It looks a little far to try to schlepp our luggage on foot.....  Thanks for any advice!

19 minutes ago, kennetro said:

Hi.  Can you tell me whether or not you experienced any problems getting a taxi to the Cruise Port on the morning of embarkation?  It looks a little far to try to schlepp our luggage on foot.....  Thanks for any advice!

There are five separate cruise terminals at Southampton. If your ship’s docked at the City Terminal, that’s an easy 5 minute walk from the HI and you’d honestly be there by the time you’d loaded your luggage into a cab, driven there and unloaded again at the terminal.

For any of the other terminals a cab would probably be easiest. The HI reception staff can help call one for you, or use Uber. Southampton has no shortage of cabs so finding one shouldn’t be an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennetro said:

I had the hotel call the taxi company in advance to reserve a taxi for embarkment day.  The taxi driver said embarkment and disembarkment days are the busiest days for the taxi companies.

The Premier Inn West Quay had a taxi phone beside the elevator.