Cruising around storms

lowbass

14 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

Thanks for the replies. We found a good example of a Mexican Riviera itinerary change on the Panorama last September due to Hurricane Kay. So it seems like there are options even in that region.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-ship-changes-itinerary-due-to-hurricane-kay/80975

Love your screen name by the way. I loved Arrested Development. Such a funny and cleverly written show. I always laughed at Gene and at Bob Loblaw. I will need to start watching it again on Netflix now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Love your screen name by the way. I loved Arrested Development. Such a funny and cleverly written show. I always laughed at Gene and at Bob Loblaw. I will need to start watching it again on Netflix now. 

Haha, thanks! It still holds up on a re-watch. I think I chose this screen name many years ago when I was watching it for the first time.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, lowbass said:

We are going on a 4 night Carnival Liberty cruise to Nassau and Princess Cay leaving Port Canaveral on June 26. It looks like there might be a tropical storm or maybe even a hurricane going through the same area around the same time.

My question is, what does the cruise line do in those situations? Will they cancel the cruise? Will we just cruise around in the ocean somewhere else? Or do they plan to go to another port away from the storm?

Almost no chance carnival will cancel. We had hurricane Ike bearing down on texas and carnival refused to allow people to cancel. If you think there is even a slight chance a hurricane will hit where you depart, park carefully. I was at ezcruise and my car was totalled in Galveston. I never saw it or the contents again. 

Carnival deposited us in new orleans. No compensation. They said eventually conquest went back to texas, the new terminal in houston, so it counted as a round trip. Carnival historically imo is very cheap about hurricanes. Flr instance we got 1 free phone call on board, and I needed 2 calls to call to book a rental car home. Free wifi would have been appropriate imo for instance. I swore I'd never take another carnival cruise I was so mad at how we were treated. 

Everyone saying dont worry ... maybe has not had the experience I have? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Almost no chance carnival will cancel. We had hurricane Ike bearing down on texas and carnival refused to allow people to cancel. If you think there is even a slight chance a hurricane will hit where you depart, park carefully. I was at ezcruise and my car was totalled in Galveston. I never saw it or the contents again. 

Carnival deposited us in new orleans. No compensation. They said eventually conquest went back to texas, the new terminal in houston, so it counted as a round trip. Carnival historically imo is very cheap about hurricanes. Flr instance we got 1 free phone call on board, and I needed 2 calls to call to book a rental car home. Free wifi would have been appropriate imo for instance. I swore I'd never take another carnival cruise I was so mad at how we were treated. 

Everyone saying dont worry ... maybe has not had the experience I have? 

Probably people didn't have the experience you did.

I was on two cruises that each had a hurricane. the first was 2003 where it was an Eastern Caribbean. where the storm just forced to do the Western Caribbean circuit, but arrived two days late. for those two days it addition minutes for the internet were given not much though (yeah before wifi existed on ships) and a couple free calls.

the second time was in 2011 already at the 2nd port of call Grand Turk and another ship was docked next to us. Nice at arrival, but quickly went to terrible weather as a Tropical Storm was approaching. Both ships got out early as the storms outer bands were arriving while I heard that the other ship's guests were disappointed because the storm ruined the itinerary. The third point got changed for my cruise and went west to Cozumel and it stayed as a 7 day cruise. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 9:11 PM, lowbass said:

We are going on a 4 night Carnival Liberty cruise to Nassau and Princess Cay leaving Port Canaveral on June 26. It looks like there might be a tropical storm or maybe even a hurricane going through the same area around the same time.

My question is, what does the cruise line do in those situations? Will they cancel the cruise? Will we just cruise around in the ocean somewhere else? Or do they plan to go to another port away from the storm?

If you choose to book a cruise between June and October, you have a small chance of having your ports changed or missed.

If you choose to cruise in August or September, there is usually at least 1 storm a week churning through the Caribbean or the Gulf or East Coast, so you should assume some disruption.

If you don't want disruption, book a cruise outside of those two months.

If you want zero chance of disruption book between December 1st and June 1st.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bguppies said:

If you choose to book a cruise between June and October, you have a small chance of having your ports changed or missed.

If you choose to cruise in August or September, there is usually at least 1 storm a week churning through the Caribbean or the Gulf or East Coast, so you should assume some disruption.

If you don't want disruption, book a cruise outside of those two months.

If you want zero chance of disruption book between December 1st and June 1st.

Ha! Only time we completely missed a port was our January, 2016 cruise to the Bahamas.  We couldn't dock in Freeport because of the wind.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, geneparmesan said:

Thanks for the replies. We found a good example of a Mexican Riviera itinerary change on the Panorama last September due to Hurricane Kay. So it seems like there are options even in that region.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-ship-changes-itinerary-due-to-hurricane-kay/80975

I was on a Princess ship at the end of September last year and we missed going to Puerto Vallarta because of Hurricane Orlean. We went to San Diego instead.

Back in October 2007 on the Pride, we missed PV due to a tropical storm. 

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1