HAL Mariner Status

AKJonesy

I already called HAL on this, but I'm sorry to say that I just don't think the people on the phones always have the right answers.  So, here is my situation...

I am 17 cruise days from my next Mariner Status bump.  My question does NOT surround achieving Mariner points through on board purchases, but only through actual sailing days.  

Saying that, HAL is offering a South America trip as ONE 31 day voyage OR as a 17 day voyage and 14 day voyage separately.  After 17 days I qualify for next Mariner level.  MY UNDERSTANDING from what I've read on the HAL docs is that I cannot achieve the next Mariner status on the 31 day because it IS NOT a Grand Voyage and thus would have to wait for my next voyage after that.  

The guy on the phone told me to book the 31 day and then tell the front desk that I achieved the next level mariner status after 17 days of sailing and they would honor it.  I don't know.  I've been told things before that end up being wrong.

Should I just book it as to separate back to back trips instead just to be sure?  

If you are a Carnival Corp & PLC stockholder it will make a difference to your Stockholder OBC.  It is $250 for 14 days and longer.  31 days would only get 1 x €250 whereas a 17day would get €250 and a 14 day would garner another €250.

• Like 5

I think it is risky to follow the advice.  Like many things it likely is ship dependent and could happen as likely as not.  If you choose the one cruise option it would be worthwhile asking.    I assume you are talking about 3 to 4 star?  

I definitely agree about capturing 2 OBCs if it works for you.  For our most recent booking it did not.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Is there much of a price difference if you book 2 separate cruises? And can you keep the same cabin? Also, would it make a difference with OBC or other extra benefits? I think if there wasn’t much difference I’d book 2 separate cruises.

The two back to backs works out a bit cheaper in the end and I did notice some of the same rooms are on both voyages.  I was leaning that way anyway, but figured making one booking vs 2, less can go wrong.  I agree it's risky to follow advice.  I've read these boards long enough to know that people received bad information.  Interesting how I've noticed it more since covid.  

THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES.  I'll book the back to back.  I'm not a Carnival Corp and PLC stockholder.  Honestly, I don't even know what that is.  :)

• Like 4

In the past and this is not to say it is the same now but I have friends that were on Grand Voyage 92 days long. They were booked as one voyage. They were just 18 days from hitting 5 Star when they got on board. Mariner Society told them to let the Front Desk know when they knew they hit the 5 Star. That is exactly what they did and sure enough they honored it. This was on the old Rotterdam they had left in January 2016. So I do know that in the past they have honored it when you are on a long voyage, I just do not think they do it when you are on a short 7 or 10 day voyage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

In the past and this is not to say it is the same now but I have friends that were on Grand Voyage 92 days long. They were booked as one voyage. They were just 18 days from hitting 5 Star when they got on board. Mariner Society told them to let the Front Desk know when they knew they hit the 5 Star. That is exactly what they did and sure enough they honored it. This was on the old Rotterdam they had left in January 2016. So I do know that in the past they have honored it when you are on a long voyage, I just do not think they do it when you are on a short 7 or 10 day voyage. 

The rule is grand versus not.   

• Like 3

The other thing to note is even if you do book two you are going to need to go to the desk anyway and tell them.  Mariner points do not immediately upgrade but they will be able to look you up.  Which ship?

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

On my cruise(s) this Spring onboard the Rotterdam I booked my 21 days as a Back to Back (two separate booking - same stateroom). The first leg gave me enough sea days to become a 4 star.  Although the Mariner Society rep I talked with told me to go to the Customer Service desk the day before turn around day it was not necessary. The evening prior to turn around day my new stateroom card with 4 stars on it was delivered to my stateroom without me having to take any action.  Perhaps this was something only the Rotterdam does but I doubt that.  Were I you, I'd book your trip in the 2 legs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So many questions…currently three star, and am on a 7 day Norwegian cruise in Sweptember.  Here are my questions:  I have Club Orange as an add-on to a verandah.  Also have additional onboard charges for two $400 excursions and two Sel be Mer dinners and two Thermal Spa .  How many additional days will be earned???

28 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

So many questions…currently three star, and am on a 7 day Norwegian cruise in Sweptember.  Here are my questions:  I have Club Orange as an add-on to a verandah.  Also have additional onboard charges for two $400 excursions and two Sel be Mer dinners and two Thermal Spa .  How many additional days will be earned???

You receive one point for each sailing day.  Additionally you receive 1 point for every $300 spent above and beyond the fare except taxes, port fees, airfare and hotels and transfers booked pre or post cruise 

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

The two back to backs works out a bit cheaper in the end and I did notice some of the same rooms are on both voyages.  I was leaning that way anyway, but figured making one booking vs 2, less can go wrong.  I agree it's risky to follow advice.  I've read these boards long enough to know that people received bad information.  Interesting how I've noticed it more since covid.  

THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES.  I'll book the back to back.  I'm not a Carnival Corp and PLC stockholder.  Honestly, I don't even know what that is.  🙂

If you own 100 shares of Carnival stock you get onboard credit. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You receive one point for each sailing day.  Additionally you receive 1 point for every $300 spent above and beyond the fare except taxes, port fees, airfare and hotels and transfers booked pre or post cruise 

Somewhere it was reported that adding Club Orange doubles the sailing days credits.

34 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

Somewhere it was reported that adding Club Orange doubles the sailing days credits.

My understanding is that is incorrect.  Sailing days count + equivalence bonus for booking a suite + (in my experience) and equivalence for having HIA. If not on HIA, then it is one day for €300 onboard spend.  CO is classed as part of the cruise fare.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The other thing to note is even if you do book two you are going to need to go to the desk anyway and tell them.  Mariner points do not immediately upgrade but they will be able to look you up.  Which ship?

Oosterdam - Ft. Lauderdale to San Antonio 17 day then B2B San Antonio to Buenos Aires 14 day or as one voyage 31 day; NOT GRAND

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

That was the other possibility; to just spend enough onboard to make up for the 3 days.  I mean if I had to book another cruise, it was going to be more than $900.  So, I've thought about that also.  I think I'm leaning toward the B2B.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, northernphoenix said:

The most you can earn through spending is the same number as your sailing days. As far as spending, our experience is having the Signature Beverage Package accomplishes the maximum. All but one time we had HIA we also got double. Our last B2B we got 2 days short of double, but fortunately made 4* by 2 points! so I didn't worry about it.

You can also double your sea-days by staying in a suite (even a Vista Suite) IF it is bought at "rack rate", not a paid upgrade offer. With suite AND spending, you can qualify for 3X your sea-days. That's the most possible.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

The guy on the phone told me to book the 31 day and then tell the front desk that I achieved the next level mariner status after 17 days of sailing and they would honor it.  I don't know.  I've been told things before that end up being wrong.

Should I just book it as to separate back to back trips instead just to be sure?  

Yes. And you even said it was a less expensive? If it's a question of the cabin you want, and it's showing for the combined itinerary but not the separate legs, have your PCC (or TA) call inventory and make it happen!

• Like 2

We used to sail Carnival exclusively & in the past few yrs have switched to HAL most often sailed.  I find it a bit strange that the rules vary so much between the different brands, even though they are owned by the Carnival Corp.  On Carnival, if you are to achieve a higher level during a cruise, you get the higher level from day 1 of the cruise, even if you don't achieve it until much later in the cruise. But there are no VIFP points earned for spending on Carnival, like there is on HAL.

We have only been on a Holland ship for 68 days, but are 3 star with 98 credits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I already called HAL on this, but I'm sorry to say that I just don't think the people on the phones always have the right answers.  So, here is my situation...

I am 17 cruise days from my next Mariner Status bump.  My question does NOT surround achieving Mariner points through on board purchases, but only through actual sailing days.  

Saying that, HAL is offering a South America trip as ONE 31 day voyage OR as a 17 day voyage and 14 day voyage separately.  After 17 days I qualify for next Mariner level.  MY UNDERSTANDING from what I've read on the HAL docs is that I cannot achieve the next Mariner status on the 31 day because it IS NOT a Grand Voyage and thus would have to wait for my next voyage after that.  

We’ve been in just your situation.  We booked B2B going from 3 stars to 4 — had all the 4 star benefits for the second leg.  We went from 4 stars to 5 during another long cruise booked as a single cruise.  They wouldn’t give us 5 star benefits.  They said I’d get my pin and new benefits the next time I sail. (I did ask.)

As others suggested, give Mariner Society a call before you embark.  Probably not necessary, but just to have ducks in a row.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We’ve been in just your situation.  We booked B2B going from 3 stars to 4 — had all the 4 star benefits for the second leg.  We went from 4 stars to 5 during another long cruise booked as a single cruise.  They wouldn’t give us 5 star benefits.  They said I’d get my pin and new benefits the next time I sail. (I did ask.)

As others suggested, give Mariner Society a call before you embark.  Probably not necessary, but just to have ducks in a row.

Have a great cruise!

It was the Mariner # that I called and asked the question.  They told me to just book the 31 day and then go to the desk, but I pointed out that was NOT what the HAL documentation said.  It said you only get the Mariner upgrade if you are on a grand voyage.  They have given bad and wrong advice before so that's why I put it out here for opinions because there are many seasoned HAL mariners on these boards.  We decided to book the B2B so that it cannot be mistaken in any way that we achieved Mariner status 4 upon completion of the first leg.  It's kind of weird that the B2B is cheaper also, so...bonus! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Oosterdam - Ft. Lauderdale to San Antonio 17 day then B2B San Antonio to Buenos Aires 14 day or as one voyage 31 day; NOT GRAND

I don’t know about Oosterdam.  I sailed Volendam there and they were fairly accommodating 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

It was the Mariner # that I called and asked the question.  They told me to just book the 31 day and then go to the desk, but I pointed out that was NOT what the HAL documentation said.  It said you only get the Mariner upgrade if you are on a grand voyage.  They have given bad and wrong advice before so that's why I put it out here for opinions because there are many seasoned HAL mariners on these boards.  We decided to book the B2B so that it cannot be mistaken in any way that we achieved Mariner status 4 upon completion of the first leg.  It's kind of weird that the B2B is cheaper also, so...bonus! 

I'm sorry -- my post wasn't clear.  What I meant was book the B2B and then call Mariner Society to let them know you will be bumping up for the second booking and ask them to put a note on the booking to that effect.  They did do this for us.  I'd still go to the service desk onboard toward the end of the first cruise to get them going on it.  Nowadays everyone is new -- everywhere -- and gotta get them all trained. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

THANKS EVERYONE - We booked the B2B and TA will contact Mariner society to just remind HAL that we will be 4 star right at the start of the 2nd voyage.  We also got the same room number.  Next, we've never bought insurance, but I am going to research the boards first to read about that and IF I have questions, I will post on a different thread.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

THANKS EVERYONE - We booked the B2B and TA will contact Mariner society to just remind HAL that we will be 4 star right at the start of the 2nd voyage.  We also got the same room number.  Next, we've never bought insurance, but I am going to research the boards first to read about that and IF I have questions, I will post on a different thread.  

Enjoy the free laundry!  

• Like 4