Mayá, Lost Mayan Kingdom water park

codingmunkey

Any chance this place has opened back up?  I went in 2019 and booked a cruise to here so my kids could check it out this time but I see they are closed on the website or something.  Figured I would ask on the off chance the site is wrong.

• Like 1

I also have been watching and waiting... loved our visit there in back in 2018.  I just went to their FB page, and amazingly there are recent posts from them (it's been pretty much silent since 2020). There is not an exact date, but sounds like they may be re-opening next month...

There was some construction progress in the port expansion area, so at least there is hope for recovery at the water park too.  But "next month" is like "five more minutes" - it is the standard timeline answer for everything.

I'd be concerned with a waterpark, how long it will take to get everything up and running again after a multi-year shutdown in such an extremely hot and humid climate. (especially for a waterpark)

I'm sure whenever they do decide to try and startup again, there will be alot of pools and parts that need alot of cleanup from mold and mildew from the high heat and humidity and alot of parts that need inspection and replaced from years of non-use in the same conditions.

That's why, in certain situations, it would be better to keep running in a minimal way. than shutdown for any length of time and have too much recovery work to do. (I'd imagine months being shutdown in that kind of heat and humidity would be tough, but years might be extremely tough to recover from)

Edited by bguppies

• 1 month later...

We are in Costa Maya today on Mardi Gras. The waterpark is open today for the first time. Zip lines are running, and most of the slides... I think 3 were not open. Not very busy at all, which I expected.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had posted a picture of my receipt on the FB forum as proof that we actually went... since there doesn't seem to be any others reporting visiting, so really don't know what's going on there. Anyway, it was $120 adult and $115 kids (don't recall age limit, but our 15 yr old still qualified for kid rate). The receipt also showed their price in pesos as 2040 / 1955.  This was July 25, 2023.

12 minutes ago, mgrieger said:

I had posted a picture of my receipt on the FB forum as proof that we actually went... since there doesn't seem to be any others reporting visiting, so really don't know what's going on there. Anyway, it was $120 adult and $115 kids (don't recall age limit, but our 15 yr old still qualified for kid rate). The receipt also showed their price in pesos as 2040 / 1955.  This was July 25, 2023.

Wow, that’s expensive.

Did it seem to have been cleaned up and in good condition after shut-down? Did you pre-book or walk-in?

We walked over. Did not expect they would be open. Condition was so-so... it was the first day they were open to 'public'. I did all the slides that were open (3 were not), and there were some friction issues here and there... don't know if they need waxing, more water flow, or just more use. The zip lines (one son and I did the circuit) were good, no issues. They were a bit under-staffed - so some slides on the same level had one employee having to man the slide entrances that were on opposite ends from each other, the lazy river (that was the most sketchy to me, as far as 'clean') had 2 employees only... and they made everyone wear life jackets - I'd guess that is because there were not any additional employees to monitor the river at various points. The most staffing went to the zip lines, as there were 2 employees at each station. The elevator was not in operation. The walkways from slide exit back to the temple area were kind of hard on bare feet. We only checked out the pool/snack area on the way out to grab a water, but that looked pretty clean... and that's where we saw the most people on our visit; we encountered maybe a dozen others here or there while we did the slides. Granted, since there was hardly anyone else there and we got there early, we got through all we wanted in just a couple hours. They also used to have cameras for rides that used rfid bracelet technology. That's not in operation - the few sensors that we saw, on the lazy river part, didn't look in good shape. All-in-all, it is kind of expensive for the state it was in... but then, the zip lines do add value. But I don't see it being able to attract enough people to pay for all the rehab and staffing it would need, and if it did attract bigger crowds, it would be less enjoyable. Sorry for the ramble, hope I touched on the main points.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 5:18 PM, mgrieger said:

Thank you.  NCL is selling it at $119 per person but I get the $50 credit so better to book on board.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The FAQ say that their operating hours can change based on ship schedules.  We are the only ship and don't arrive until noon but they close at 5.  Has anyone experienced them closing later in this situation?  I have emailed customer service but have not heard back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure of the current condition since the last time we were there was 2019 but it is very walkable. I remember walking back to the port when we were done and it was maybe 10 minutes. A straight walk down the street with the port always in sight so no chance of getting lost.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

I did end up writing a review, hope it's helpful, page 2.

Great review (of the entire trip). So sad they didn't have the lazy river going...it's one of our favorites. Heck, everything there is a favorite. 😄  Hopefully they will get it cleaned out and up and running. 

• Thanks 1

Went there in January (NCL Breakaway).  There was another ship in port at the same time (a RCL).  The park was a ghost town.  That is nice if you don't want to wait long in lines, but after 2 hours, I was headed back to the ship.  Here is my opinion on the park...

1. zip line - only about 5 I think..the rope course to get from 2 to 3 was unsettling.  There is a hard side (left) and an easy side (right).  There is a net walkway (?) underneath.  I made the mistake of doing the hard side...big mistake.  trying to transition from one kind of step to the next, it was about a 8 to 10 inch drop, and was a reach out...I fell onto the net.  Walked about 1/2 of the way on the net (not easy) to find a spot where I could get back up...about another 1/4 way, same thing...bad transition, and down I go...I just used the net walkway the rest of the way.  Also, when they geared me up, they have someone else check it out, mine was too loose..They had me point out who did it..

2.  Rollercoaster zipline - The attendant did not know much English.  One of the riders got stuck on the ride.  After waiting about 25 minutes, (there were 2 guys trying to get her unstuck), someone had to ask in Spanish about how much longer...another 15 or so.  I gave up on that.

3.  Water slides - I LOVE water slides...here, not so much.  I did not feel comfortable, safety wise, with the slides.  I tried 3 of the 4 variations (there were 8 total, I believe, 2 of each).  I didn't want to try the 4th (with the mat).  Some girls were showing me the scrapes they got from it.

4.  Lazy river - Waste of time.  Extremely slow, I was bouncing off the sides, back and forth to try to get some distance.

5.  Pool area - There was another group of 4 there, and that was it.  The food was overpriced.

6.  Shuttle to go back - If I had known how close we were to the port, I would have walked..waited about 25 minutes for the shuttle.  The port area was like a maze.  Signage on which way to the ships was so-so...

All in all, $120 for this place was a laugh.  Luckily I had $50 off with NCL FAS..otherwise, I would not even have tried it out..