Would you cruise the Caribbean in August?

emeraldaine

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Oh my, good luck, or get out of there now!

We have the new unit going in today.  Yes I agree.  It is our first retirement year and DH had me cancel cruises this year to enjoy time at home.  I turned to him last week and said “are you enjoying your summer in Texas?” 

while working I always managed to schedule business in Canada or Colorado during the summer 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We lived in Florida for several years and sailed to the Caribbean many times in the summer months. Statistically, mid-September is the height of hurricane season and we've gone out that week a few times without ever missing a port.

If you're okay with hot weather and humidity, I see no reason not to sail at that time of year. Take it slow and enjoy lazy days by the pool or onshore (that's how we managed to get through summer in the south). Yes, there might be a lot of kids around but maybe that doesn't bother you. 

• 1 month later...

We have done it before. Just be prepared for it to be VERY hot in ports. Stay hydrated, apply sunscreen liberally, and dress for the weather (loose, lightweight clothing, sun hat and sunglasses).

Edited by simplelife

The fact is that there is not all that much difference between the seasons in the Caribbean - of course the peak of the hurricane season is late summer, but it is rare for a particular cruise to be significantly impacted.  My reasons for not cruising in the Caribbean have little to do with the season -rather that cruising there now is just too crowded, while being a poor way of experiencing any of the interesting islands.

Old Sailors mantra ... regarding TRS's

June too soon

July they try

August they nust

September remember ...

Statistically speaking a North Atlantic TRS will travel East to West and turn right  ... but the odd one turns left and causes mayhem.... for the statisticians at least 😁

On 8/7/2023 at 10:38 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

Old Sailors mantra ... regarding TRS's

June too soon

July they try

August they nust

September remember ...

Statistically speaking a North Atlantic TRS will travel East to West and turn right  ... but the odd one turns left and causes mayhem.... for the statisticians at least 😁

Interesting. My grandparents retired to Florida and lived next door to a native Floridian who taught me, as a child, a similar version that she said all "real" Floridians learned early:

June too soon

July stand by

August come they must

September remember

October all over

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

August come they must

September remember

October all over

They were talking about the Boston Red Sox and their chances for making it to the series!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JRG said:

They were talking about the Boston Red Sox and their chances for making it to the series!

Maybe they were fans of the Red Sox.   That must have been tough for all those years,  first with the Curse of the Bambino,  and then with Billy Buckner playing 'tweeners with the puck'

I'm glad those days are over and there is joy in mudville again.  

I'm also glad Joe Kelly is back where he belongs and well ,Mookie just Rocks, right?

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting. My grandparents retired to Florida and lived next door to a native Floridian who taught me, as a child, a similar version that she said all "real" Floridians learned early:

June too soon

July stand by

August come they must

September remember

October all over

What does the "September remember" mean? I've been meaning to ask this every time I see it pop up in a thread!

19 minutes ago, aungrl said:

What does the "September remember" mean? I've been meaning to ask this every time I see it pop up in a thread!

The way it was explained to me is that September is a period where hurricanes are becoming less likely, but it isn't out of the question that they could develop, so it was a reminder to "remember" to be cautious and keep and eye out for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The way it was explained to me is that September is a period where hurricanes are becoming less likely, but it isn't out of the question that they could develop, so it was a reminder to "remember" to be cautious and keep and eye out for them.

Exactly.  Ida a few years ago was September.   As was Betsy.  

to those that say the Caribbean weather lacks seasonality that pertains to equatorial sea.  Many cruises are in the northern sea and there is seasonality.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I like that explanation!  

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Actually, I believe September is ordinarily the very peak of hurricane season, when sea waters have been warmed throughout the summer months - the cooling only really starts in late September - which is why the season lasts through November.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 8:49 PM, cruisemom42 said:

September is the peak of hurricane season. Mid September is when hurricanes are most likely. 

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

September is the peak of hurricane season. Mid September is when hurricanes are most likely. 

So what does the "September remember" part mean, in that case?  That it's important to remember that September is the worst month for hurricanes?

44 minutes ago, aungrl said:

So what does the "September remember" part mean, in that case?  That it's important to remember that September is the worst month for hurricanes?

“September remember” is just a two word rhyme which has no particular connection to hurricane season or, for that matter, to Neapolitan pizza or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I am inclined to think the earlier poster who recalled some baseball connection was more correct than some of these silly hurricane references.

I suppose it might be argued that it is a reminder that a quarterly estimated Federal Income Tax installment is due on September 15.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2023 at 2:54 AM, navybankerteacher said:

September remember” is just a two word rhyme which has no particular connection to hurricane season or, for that matter, to Neapolitan pizza or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I am inclined to think the earlier poster who recalled some baseball connection was more correct than some of these silly hurricane references.

I suppose it might be argued that it is a reminder that a quarterly estimated Federal Income Tax installment is due on September 15.

For me it was a reminder that the season ain't over until the Fat lady sings🙂 ....but that was in pre-internet days and weather forecasts were via fax or the Admiralty manuals 🙄

Most of the TRS weather grief I have experienced was Pacific based

On 8/11/2023 at 9:54 PM, navybankerteacher said:

“September remember” is just a two word rhyme which has no particular connection to hurricane season or, for that matter, to Neapolitan pizza or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I am inclined to think the earlier poster who recalled some baseball connection was more correct than some of these silly hurricane references.

I had no idea.  I've always heard it used in relation to hurricane season.  thanks for clarifying.  

We sailed mid September 2019. Hurricane Dorian was hovering around the Caribbean when we flew out of Australia. We weren't sure whether or not our cruise would go ahead since Miami was said to be in the path. However, by the time we changed planes at Houston, Dorian had veered away from Miami so the cruise went ahead four days later as scheduled. There was damage to some of the islands (including Coco Cay), but we still had a great time. Yes, the weather was hot but we are somewhat acclimatized as we live in Queensland which ranges from a tropical to  a sub tropical climate. Would we do the Caribbean in September again? Absolutely.

• Like 1