Time zones/changes?

Hi! I am going on my first cruise with my friend next month. It is a HAL 24 day mediterranean cruise. I worked at a HAL hotel and I knew that the excursions we sold to people were almost double the regular price, and so I decided to book all of the excursions in the ports independently. I know the risks that come with this and everything, I gave us 2 hours on either end for excursions, and 3 hours if there was a tender. That being said, I was following the times given on our cruise itinerary. I’ve been doing some research regarding ship time vs local time and everything that I am reading is mostly about mexico and the caribbean. We will be in Italy, greece, montenegro, turkey, and croatia. I think that we will be fine, but I just want to double check if anyone could help me? As an example, on the navigator app, it says we arrive in Ephesus at 7 am. So, the excursion I booked (in local time) is picking us up at 9 am. Navigator says we are leaving at 6:30 pm, so we will be dropped off by 5 pm (local time). Is my method of doing this correct or am I mistaken? I can cancel any of the excursions booked so I am trying to plan in advance! Thank you! 

Like Cruiser Bruce said, the highly rated excursion companies work hard to keep on schedule and to get you back to the ship on time. 

That said, here are two caveats: Several years ago, the ship and local time were different.There was a little blurb in small type on the daily informing people of that. Good thing that our close knit group worked hard to get the word out or some would have been an hour late. That is the only time out of hundreds of ports I've been to where there was a time difference.

If you are in Istanbul, consider looking for a tram-based tour. The rush hour traffic at the port is often severely gridlocked. Nothing was moving, so it didn't matter if you were in a car, on a bus or van. Only the tram was moving. We had to get out of the van and fast walk to the port to make it on time. We weren't confident that the ship excursions suffered the same problems, but they did. As it ended up, the ship was at least two hours delayed in leaving port. The crew told me that night that they all took the tram because they had been there before. Maybe we should be getting more excursion advice from the crew!

6 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Like Cruiser Bruce said, the highly rated excursion companies work hard to keep on schedule and to get you back to the ship on time. 

That said, here are two caveats: Several years ago, the ship and local time were different.There was a little blurb in small type on the daily informing people of that. Good thing that our close knit group worked hard to get the word out or some would have been an hour late. That is the only time out of hundreds of ports I've been to where there was a time difference.

If you are in Istanbul, consider looking for a tram-based tour. The rush hour traffic at the port is often severely gridlocked. Nothing was moving, so it didn't matter if you were in a car, on a bus or van. Only the tram was moving. We had to get out of the van and fast walk to the port to make it on time. We weren't confident that the ship excursions suffered the same problems, but they did. As it ended up, the ship was at least two hours delayed in leaving port. The crew told me that night that they all took the tram because they had been there before. Maybe we should be getting more excursion advice from the crew!

This is great news! Thank you so much! Yeah the excursion we booked for istanbul picks us up from the port, but none of the excursions offered return service, I wonder if that’s why? I planned on getting a taxi but it is good to know about the tram! Thank you so much! 

19 minutes ago, newgirlhelpme said:

This is great news! Thank you so much! Yeah the excursion we booked for istanbul picks us up from the port, but none of the excursions offered return service, I wonder if that’s why? I planned on getting a taxi but it is good to know about the tram! Thank you so much! 

The internet has good instructions on how to use the tram. I was told after this experience that rush hour gridlock is a daily occurrence. How does your tour suggest you return to the ship? Our experience at the end sort of ruined an otherwise very nice day. 

Some advice: stay together. One of the women in my group was off on her own after lunch when we had free time not far from the square in front of Hagia Sophia and was assaulted by teenagers. They tried to grab her purse. They didn't know who they were messing with and didn't get it. I understand women should not be alone in Istanbul.

Edited by Markanddonna

Welcome to the forum, newgirlhelpme.

Do not rely on your pre-cruise itinerary, arrival and departure times can change and should be clearly communicated in onboard announcements and your ship's daily schedule. All aboard time will probably be posted at the gangway, some people photograph the sign as documentation and as a reminder of where the next photos were taken. For example, "Ephesus - All aboard crew: 4:30. All aboard guests: 5:00."

Make sure that the time on your phone and watch agrees with the ship's time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, whogo said:

Welcome to the forum, newgirlhelpme.

Do not rely on your pre-cruise itinerary, arrival and departure times can change and should be clearly communicated in onboard announcements and your ship's daily schedule. All aboard time will probably be posted at the gangway, some people photograph the sign as documentation and as a reminder of where the next photos were taken. For example, "Ephesus - All aboard crew: 4:30. All aboard guests: 5:00."

Make sure that the time on your phone and watch agrees with the ship's time.

Bring your daily planner. It has the port agent's name and info in case you have an emergency.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The internet has good instructions on how to use the tram. I was told after this experience that rush hour gridlock is a daily occurrence. How does your tour suggest you return to the ship? Our experience at the end sort of ruined an otherwise very nice day. 

Some advice: stay together. One of the women in my group was off on her own after lunch when we had free time not far from the square in front of Hagia Sophia and was assaulted by teenagers. They tried to grab her purse. They didn't know who they were messing with and didn't get it. I understand women should not be alone in Istanbul.

The tour suggested a taxi or the public transportation. The tour ends in the grand bazaar (which i’m assuming is a very busy place). When I look on google maps, it says that the distance from there to the cruise port is 22 minutes for both walking and public transportation. Wondering if we should just walk but stay on main streets? We are 2 21 year old girls, but we’re both very tall (6’0+) and full bodied so I’m hoping that won’t make us a target or anything. 

You two should be fine. I would look for a tour that both began and ended at the tram. They exist.

I think it will be more than 22 minutes. We were fast walking for about 20 minutes from the middle of the street leading to the port (we exited our van right in the middle of the street.)

• Thanks 1

I've visited Istanbul a handful of times, both on cruises and land trips. As a solo female I never felt uncomfortable wandering alone around the old city (Sultanahmet), even having a late-ish dinner and taking the tram back to the ship at 10:00 pm at night. (I even got into a great conversation with an elderly gent who insisted on giving me his seat and then telling me all about his grand-daughter attending a school for hoteliers in Kusadasi....)

I would say that I felt safer there than in some other cities where I've been on my own. But I am generally very careful about sticking to well-lit and well trafficked areas.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

Hi! I am going on my first cruise with my friend next month. It is a HAL 24 day mediterranean cruise. I worked at a HAL hotel and I knew that the excursions we sold to people were almost double the regular price, and so I decided to book all of the excursions in the ports independently. I know the risks that come with this and everything, I gave us 2 hours on either end for excursions, and 3 hours if there was a tender. That being said, I was following the times given on our cruise itinerary. I’ve been doing some research regarding ship time vs local time and everything that I am reading is mostly about mexico and the caribbean. We will be in Italy, greece, montenegro, turkey, and croatia. I think that we will be fine, but I just want to double check if anyone could help me? As an example, on the navigator app, it says we arrive in Ephesus at 7 am. So, the excursion I booked (in local time) is picking us up at 9 am. Navigator says we are leaving at 6:30 pm, so we will be dropped off by 5 pm (local time). Is my method of doing this correct or am I mistaken? I can cancel any of the excursions booked so I am trying to plan in advance! Thank you! 

The adjustment of ship's cloxs is at the discretion of the ship's Master. However, most Masters do ensure the ship's time is consistent with the port being visited. Back in the days when I was navigator, the Master took a rather dim view of arriving at the wrong time.

In the Meddy, unless the clox would be going forward and back on consecutive nights, I expect at every port, the ship will be on local time. To confirm, check the time with your watch and a clock ashore.

Regarding arrival times, the first word is "Estimated". Every Master endeavours to arrive on time, but operational issues both aboard and ashore can enforce changes. While you have reasonable leeway built into the schedule for most delays, I also suggest reviewing the cancellation terms, ensuring you get a refund if the ship is late or doesn't arrive.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

The ship is going to dock in Ephesus?

21 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

You have a great itinerary!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

At one point, yes. 

The previous poster could have mentioned that you are docking in Kusedasi, which is the port closest to Ephesus. It is about 1/2 drive from the port.

• Like 2