Looking at MSC for 1st time - Poesia. Pros and cons?

YoPhilly

13 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

I'm sorry you canceled your Baltic cruise...we would have met.  In fact, the reason I'm taking a chance on MSC is just because of the Baltic cruise.  I figure we'll be off the ship everyday to sightsee - only onboard for breakfast and dinner every day except one sea day.  I only need a safe sailing, a clean cabin and decent food.  I figured - how bad can it be?! 

My wife made me wait until we get home to cancel...she really wants to take that cruise too 😀 as mentioned, the staff here are amazing...I've really never seen anything like it. Yesterday my wife explained things to the food and beverage manager and he is going to try and do something for us... anything...even a small token...and my wife will make me keep the booking 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, alyssamma said:

One other note. We have a balcony and the cabin is pretty small. The shower is like a coffin. But, there is good storage space so that is a plus.

Could you possibly share your cabin number/classification as balcony staterooms do vary according to the MSC experience?

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Could you possibly share your cabin number/classification as balcony staterooms do vary according to the MSC experience?

Fantastica, balcony, 8159.

This is my first non YC cabin. But, if you've sailed interior YC, the shower is the same size. The room is larger, tho, and has WAY more closet space.

Overall the room is adequate, but nothing to brag about.

Some other thoughts...wow, just can't say enough about the staff. Completely blown away.

The ship is kept pretty spotless...this includes the buffet. Tables are bussed frequently and the floor is kept clean of fallen food.

Shows are typical MSC...we don't like them but many do. Entertainment around the ship is average to good. Nothing standout but pleasant enough. Drinks are excellent, but best IMHO at the zebra bar. I'd say they are made near perfect there... alcoholic and non.

The announcements in 7 languages has now officially gotten on my nerves. I get it, but ugh. This is really the only thing about the ship I don't like and that is pretty minor.

As mentioned, food is typical MSC quality. I will say the pizza here is definitely better than Caribbean sailings...it's more like they USED to be in the Caribbean. That and breakfast are the only standouts. One very annoying thing is that the food is often at room temp instead of hot or even warm. Huge variety at lunch so you'll def find something you like, but you may have to go through a lot of eh things to get to it 😀 haven't done buffet for dinner so can't comment there.

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Fantastica, balcony, 8159.

This is my first non YC cabin. But, if you've sailed interior YC, the shower is the same size. The room is larger, tho, and has WAY more closet space.

Overall the room is adequate, but nothing to brag about.

Some other thoughts...wow, just can't say enough about the staff. Completely blown away.

The ship is kept pretty spotless...this includes the buffet. Tables are bussed frequently and the floor is kept clean of fallen food.

Shows are typical MSC...we don't like them but many do. Entertainment around the ship is average to good. Nothing standout but pleasant enough. Drinks are excellent, but best IMHO at the zebra bar. I'd say they are made near perfect there... alcoholic and non.

The announcements in 7 languages has now officially gotten on my nerves. I get it, but ugh. This is really the only thing about the ship I don't like and that is pretty minor.

As mentioned, food is typical MSC quality. I will say the pizza here is definitely better than Caribbean sailings...it's more like they USED to be in the Caribbean. That and breakfast are the only standouts. One very annoying thing is that the food is often at room temp instead of hot or even warm. Huge variety at lunch so you'll def find something you like, but you may have to go through a lot of eh things to get to it 😀 haven't done buffet for dinner so can't comment there.

Thanks for responding. Enjoy your cruise. You are currently on the cruise that I hope to do in three years! Enjoy Iceland! We did that with VO. I have found that I like the size of the Fantasia-class and may never sail on their newer larger ships. We were on the MSC Splendida last year and next month on the MSC Preziosa. I hope to make a decision on next year's MSC cruises before we leave for the Preziosa. That way I can maximize my 12+ month Voyagers benefits. Now that the MSC Fantasia itineraries for September 2024 have been published we are looking at week on the MSC Divina and a week on the MSC Fantasia before traveling up to Rotterdam to board our HAL Transatlantic. Almost decided on the MSC Poesia 23-night Copenhagen to Genoa in September 2024 but the purser (DW) would rather sail twice next year in YC.

We are also impressed with the cleanliness on MSC, and the crews are just great! From the YC director down it was just a wonderful experience last year. I have read on MSC that they make announcements in languages for the nationalities onboard. Our cruise last year only had announcements in English, French, and Italian.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:18 AM, alyssamma said:

I had some OBC in USD and they used an insane exchange rate to convert it.to EUR  Although they were nice at guest services, they did nothing to help.

Can you say what the exchange rate they used or what was the basis?  

Don't want to be surprised when I board in Rome in October as a 1st time MSC guest. This is something that I hadn't actually thought about or have seen mentioned here.

Thanks for responding. Enjoy your cruise. You are currently on the cruise that I hope to do in three years! Enjoy Iceland! We did that with VO. I have found that I like the size of the Fantasia-class and may never sail on their newer larger ships. We were on the MSC Splendida last year and next month on the MSC Preziosa. I hope to make a decision on next year's MSC cruises before we leave for the Preziosa. That way I can maximize my 12+ month Voyagers benefits. Now that the MSC Fantasia itineraries for September 2024 have been published we are looking at week on the MSC Divina and a week on the MSC Fantasia before traveling up to Rotterdam to board our HAL Transatlantic. Almost decided on the MSC Poesia 23-night Copenhagen to Genoa in September 2024 but the purser (DW) would rather sail twice next year in YC.

We are also impressed with the cleanliness on MSC, and the crews are just great! From the YC director down it was just a wonderful experience last year. I have read on MSC that they make announcements in languages for the nationalities onboard. Our cruise last year only had announcements in English, French, and Italian.

Lol  I've been trying to get on this cruise for 3 years. My first attempt was a victim of covid. I've been to Iceland but never Greenland...that's the bucket list item.

I've only sailed on the big MSC ships before, but I have to say I'm really liking this ship  it's weird  but for a longer itinerary I prefer this class. It definitely feels more intimate and fun.

Just sailed HAL for the first time in May...really loved it. Club Orange was a game.changer for me. Had a TA booked for next April but they changed the ports and it messed up my post cruise plans so had to cancel.

Anyway  3yrs will be here sooner than you think..I'm sure you'll love it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Can you say what the exchange rate they used or what was the basis?  

Don't want to be surprised when I board in Rome in October as a 1st time MSC guest. This is something that I hadn't actually thought about or have seen mentioned here.

They used about 1.19 on the day it was a 1.1 published rate...so about a 10pt spread...1-3 is more common...even 5...but 10 seemed like gouging. Honestly it's a minor thing but it's always something with MSC and it just pissed me off.

Let me be clear...in NO way ruining the cruise. I really love this ship and I'm having a *great* time. I just hate the people who own the ship, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

They used about 1.19 on the day it was a 1.1 published rate...so about a 10pt spread...1-3 is more common...even 5...but 10 seemed like gouging. Honestly it's a minor thing but it's always something with MSC and it just pissed me off.

Let me be clear...in NO way ruining the cruise. I really love this ship and I'm having a *great* time. I just hate the people who own the ship, lol.

I get it.  I often sail solo and get gouged in many ways by several lines, so I know how you feel.  I'm not talking about the solo supplements, but, other frustratingly small ways they all sock it to solos.  Hit me in the wallet and I feel it more.  At least now I know what to expect on the OBC.  Thanks for responding.

• Like 1

Lol  I've been trying to get on this cruise for 3 years. My first attempt was a victim of covid. I've been to Iceland but never Greenland...that's the bucket list item.

I've only sailed on the big MSC ships before, but I have to say I'm really liking this ship  it's weird  but for a longer itinerary I prefer this class. It definitely feels more intimate and fun.

Just sailed HAL for the first time in May...really loved it. Club Orange was a game.changer for me. Had a TA booked for next April but they changed the ports and it messed up my post cruise plans so had to cancel.

Anyway  3yrs will be here sooner than you think..I'm sure you'll love it.

LOL as well! My wife and I were almost on your present cruise! Instead of from Germany, about two months ago MSC put on their website Reykjavik to Greenland to Akureyi (11-Nights) cruise starting August 4. So tempting I almost convinced my wife that we should book it. We did an Iceland circumnavigation on Viking in 2021 so really just needed the Greenland portion for our bucket as well. It is an easy 5-1/2 hour flight to Keflavik for us. But my wife felt it was too close to when we leave in September for the Preziosa cruise, plus MSC at the time was only showing 1-2 staterooms (poor choices) to choose from for each category, Now that it is so close to the sail date there are quite a few staterooms open. I am going to see if they do the same type of booking next year. Maybe then?

LOL as well! My wife and I were almost on your present cruise! Instead of from Germany, about two months ago MSC put on their website Reykjavik to Greenland to Akureyi (11-Nights) cruise starting August 4. So tempting I almost convinced my wife that we should book it. We did an Iceland circumnavigation on Viking in 2021 so really just needed the Greenland portion for our bucket as well. It is an easy 5-1/2 hour flight to Keflavik for us. But my wife felt it was too close to when we leave in September for the Preziosa cruise, plus MSC at the time was only showing 1-2 staterooms (poor choices) to choose from for each category, Now that it is so close to the sail date there are quite a few staterooms open. I am going to see if they do the same type of booking next year. Maybe then?

Yeah I think the cruise is only 60% or so...and I'm pretty sure they have this next year...

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:18 PM, alyssamma said:

That being said, I did experience something that just made me say I'm done with MSC. I had some OBC in USD and they used an insane exchange rate to convert it.to EUR 

Totally annoying. But not unusual. The US lines in Europe also advertise the OBC in Euro and then convert it to USD with an exchange rate that has not much to do with reality. Hard to take for us Malaysians who are crazy about money exchange and usually fight for the third digit behind the point 😄

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:52 AM, YoPhilly said:

I'm sorry you canceled your Baltic cruise...we would have met.  In fact, the reason I'm taking a chance on MSC is just because of the Baltic cruise.  I figure we'll be off the ship everyday to sightsee - only onboard for breakfast and dinner every day except one sea day.  I only need a safe sailing, a clean cabin and decent food.  I figured - how bad can it be?! 

FWIW, I booked Poesia for a Baltics cruise in 2024.  GF made me cancel it, as she thought it looked "boring".  I thought it would be a nice experience, since we've visited many places, but not the Baltics.

At least I was able to find something she would approve.  A non-Baltics cruise out of "Rome" on Celebrity Ascent, which isn't even sailing yet.  Surprisingly, the price wasn't really much different than MSC's price, although the Celebrity price did not include drinks, but it's also a day longer.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

FWIW, I booked Poesia for a Baltics cruise in 2024.  GF made me cancel it, as she thought it looked "boring".  I thought it would be a nice experience, since we've visited many places, but not the Baltics.

Back in 2017, DW and I had booked a HAL cruise from Copenhagen to the British Isles. A calendar conflict developed that we needed to cancel. DW felt like your GF but I convinced her to instead sail the previous 12-Day HAL cruise from Copenhagen on the same ship calling on the Baltic ports. Granted, we had two days in St. Petersburg and an overnight in Stockholm that made it memorable. But we both feel that it ranks as one of the best cruises (and interesting) we have ever done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Back in 2017, DW and I had booked a HAL cruise from Copenhagen to the British Isles. A calendar conflict developed that we needed to cancel. DW felt like your GF but I convinced her to instead sail the previous 12-Day HAL cruise from Copenhagen on the same ship calling on the Baltic ports. Granted, we had two days in St. Petersburg and an overnight in Stockholm that made it memorable. But we both feel that it ranks as one of the best cruises (and interesting) we have ever done.

I will work on her for a future cruise.  The one I had booked started in "Berlin" (not actually Berlin, of course) and ended in Stockholm, so the plan was to do maybe 3 nights in Berlin and 3 in Stockholm.  She really liked Copenhagen, so I figured she would like the Baltics.

But I didn't feel like fighting and have wanted to try the newer Celebrity Edge-class ships anyway.  Perhaps down the road.

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

The Baltics cruise can get boring much faster than the Med cruises. But for first visits they have great ports. Unfortunately MSC not goes to the Baltic states and St Petersburg is not on the menu for at least 2024. 

But if the price is good I would not hesitate to book. The port MSC calls Berlin is one where the train stops more or less at the gangway to the ship, I love this. 

On 7/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, Heartgrove said:

Great info, thanks!

On 8/2/2023 at 5:25 PM, Stockjock said:

I will work on her for a future cruise.  The one I had booked started in "Berlin" (not actually Berlin, of course) and ended in Stockholm, so the plan was to do maybe 3 nights in Berlin and 3 in Stockholm.  She really liked Copenhagen, so I figured she would like the Baltics.

What I like about the MSC itinerary is an overnight in Stockholm.  I canceled a cruise on a different line b/c they shortened the Stockholm visit to 8AM to 4PM, which is insane for such an important port.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

What I like about the MSC itinerary is an overnight in Stockholm.  I canceled a cruise on a different line b/c they shortened the Stockholm visit to 8AM to 4PM, which is insane for such an important port.

You will probably dock at Frihamnen as there will be passengers embarking/disembarking in Stockholm. There was a city bus that went from here to Gamla Stan. Stadsgarden is more convenient to Gamla Stan and Djurgärden with the ABBA museum and Vasa museum. But far better than the larger ships that need to use the distant Nynashamn. The cruise through the archipelago to reach Stockholm is one of the most beautiful arrivals and departures to a port.

• Like 2

Just now, YoPhilly said:

That was a big draw for us too. That being said, if this time next year things are the same with Ukraine and Russia...would you feel nervous about visiting that part of Europe?

Just now, Heartgrove said:

You will probably dock at Frihamnen as there will be passengers embarking/disembarking in Stockholm. There was a city bus that went from here to Gamla Stan. Stadsgarden is more convenient to Gamla Stan and Djurgärden with the ABBA museum and Vasa museum. But far better than the larger ships that need to use the distant Nynashamn. The cruise through the archipelago to reach Stockholm is one of the most beautiful arrivals and departures to a port.

I knew pax got on and off at the various ports in Europe on MSC...very different from the US and Caribbean, lol. However, we just left Iceland yesterday and I was surprised that people embarked in Reykjavik...and not just a few...it was probably close to 100.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

That was a big draw for us too. That being said, if this time next year things are the same with Ukraine and Russia...would you feel nervous about visiting that part of Europe?

Not at all. In fact, I am visiting Poland next month.

• Like 1

Hopefully by this time next year there will be a conclusion. However, if it stays basically the same and doesn't spread north to the Baltic region there shouldn't be a problem. In 2017 when we cruised the Baltic Sea, Russia was preparing for their Western Front War Game, Zapad 2017. The Eastern members of NATO were concerned as it was Russia's largest war game held in that area since the Cold War. Other than seeing a few NATO warships over the 12 days (one rather close!) there were no disruptions. 

• Like 1