Looking at MSC for 1st time - Poesia. Pros and cons?

YoPhilly

I've been cruising for ~35 years, with 1 HAL, 2 Carnival, 9 Princess, 10 Celebrity and 3 Oceania - pretty much in that order.  Much as I love Celebrity and Oceania, for a very port-intensive 11- night Baltic cruise, I'm drawn to the prices on MSC Poesia.  I may do this cruise as a solo, or possibly with my husband.  What can you tell me about Poesia - the make-up of fellow passengers, crew, dining (only what's included), cabin comfort, etc.  Please give me your pros and cons.  Thanks!

Go back to the main MSC page.  On the upper left you will see ‘See posts about’ and to the right in blue ‘select ship’.  You will get a drop down menu to select the ship you are interested in.  Select MSC Poesia and you will get a page of threads with references to her.  EM

• Thanks 1

In a quick summary:

It's a relatively older ship. She has been refreshed quite recently though and if living to at least near the before the pandemic standards, MSC's general maintenance level is superb across the board, so ship's age will be pretty much unnoticeable. No "bells & whistles" though if that is your cup of tea. With a smaller capacity comes usually a more intimate cruise environment. Those ships do have such a classy decoration with an Italian influence to them that calls for that simple sophisticated intimacy.

Fellow passengers will be mostly a mix of European citizens, in a not so long past with quite a strong presence of the Russians and other Eastern European citizens out there.

Food will be your typical RCI/CCL/NCL, 4* like European land hotel chain food with such an European comfort food accent to its all instead of american centered. Of course forget the Oceania level, and even perhaps the X/Princess to an extent. JIMHO: MSC's food is good enough to feed you for the week (if it wasn't, I wouldn't have 7 cruises with them under my belt), but nothing memorable to write home about it. On the Musica class ships where the Poesia lives in, other than the included food they'll only have a smallish sushi bar on one of the decks, a wine and sports bar which usually served a small included buffet at some times along the day and a tiny gelato parlor on one of the pools, so no really specialty dining for you.

A wonderful thing about MSC for those so port intensive cruises that typically will only have a sea day, if really any, against all the competition are their ship sponsored shore excursion prices. Here in Europe you'll have the very same shore excursions that X/P/O or any other cruises will offer you, run on the same buses with the same local operators which are by the way the ones authorized to operate within the port's range, but at a fraction of the price they're usually set in, sometimes in line or even occasionally cheaper than to book it on your own. You'll be long hours exploring the sites and use the ship mostly to have dinner, some night entertainment and sleep in preparation for next days adventures.

As the clientele will be so international with several languages spoken onboard, expect announcements in some 5 or 6 languages (they are kept to bare minimum needed though!), and expect the entertainment to be more music and visuals centered. No comedians and such if that is you cup of tea.

Permit me a side note: MSC is doing a status match offer where they'll give you a status on their loyalty scheme that will reflect another cruise line where you have a status. Send them a proof of your higher status on other cruise line, in your case X, and among other things you'll receive a 5% off your cruise fare.

Hope to have helped a bit and have a nice day!...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

In a quick summary:

It's a relatively older ship. She has been refreshed quite recently though and if living to at least near the before the pandemic standards, MSC's general maintenance level is superb across the board, so ship's age will be pretty much unnoticeable. No "bells & whistles" though if that is your cup of tea. With a smaller capacity comes usually a more intimate cruise environment. Those ships do have such a classy decoration with an Italian influence to them that calls for that simple sophisticated intimacy.

Fellow passengers will be mostly a mix of European citizens, in a not so long past with quite a strong presence of the Russians and other Eastern European citizens out there.

Food will be your typical RCI/CCL/NCL, 4* like European land hotel chain food with such an European comfort food accent to its all instead of american centered. Of course forget the Oceania level, and even perhaps the X/Princess to an extent. JIMHO: MSC's food is good enough to feed you for the week (if it wasn't, I wouldn't have 7 cruises with them under my belt), but nothing memorable to write home about it. On the Musica class ships where the Poesia lives in, other than the included food they'll only have a smallish sushi bar on one of the decks, a wine and sports bar which usually served a small included buffet at some times along the day and a tiny gelato parlor on one of the pools, so no really specialty dining for you.

A wonderful thing about MSC for those so port intensive cruises that typically will only have a sea day, if really any, against all the competition are their ship sponsored shore excursion prices. Here in Europe you'll have the very same shore excursions that X/P/O or any other cruises will offer you, run on the same buses with the same local operators which are by the way the ones authorized to operate within the port's range, but at a fraction of the price they're usually set in, sometimes in line or even occasionally cheaper than to book it on your own. You'll be long hours exploring the sites and use the ship mostly to have dinner, some night entertainment and sleep in preparation for next days adventures.

As the clientele will be so international with several languages spoken onboard, expect announcements in some 5 or 6 languages (they are kept to bare minimum needed though!), and expect the entertainment to be more music and visuals centered. No comedians and such if that is you cup of tea.

Permit me a side note: MSC is doing a status match offer where they'll give you a status on their loyalty scheme that will reflect another cruise line where you have a status. Send them a proof of your higher status on other cruise line, in your case X, and among other things you'll receive a 5% off your cruise fare.

This is so helpful.  Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.  Of course, I’m not expecting Oceania-level, but I was getting the impression MSC may have a similar experience as Carnival. 🥴

7 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

In a quick summary:

I'm sailing Poesia next month...thanks so much for this detailed review!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

This is so helpful.  Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.  Of course, I’m not expecting Oceania-level, but I was getting the impression MSC may have a similar experience as Carnival. 🥴

Same or slightly higher industry standard, but better once it is classier: I'd say MSC would be somewhat what I can call an X or Princess lite. X/P classy style on an affordable ship. No party ships on MSC either other than on the odd less than 5 nights cruises that is not the case here. You'll find generally a wonderful crowd, even though some of the Russians may be slightly abusive and introvert. MSC is great on different nationalities management despite what some CC members may say! Have a wonderful day!...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YoPhilly said:

Alyssamma, please post your impressions next month. 😀

Making myself a note now. I'm old and will forget otherwise 🙂

I hope I like it because I also booked a Sept 2024 cruise on her...

3 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Making myself a note now. I'm old and will forget otherwise 🙂

I hope I like it because I also booked a Sept 2024 cruise on her...

I’m looking at the September 10, 2024 sailing. You too?

22 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

9/12...leaving from Warnemunde...where are you boarding?

It's a really unique itinerary so I couldn't pass it up...

9/10 leaves from Copenhagen. Yes, it’s a terrific itinerary I especially like the overnight in Stockholm.  Are you on the CruiseCritic roll call for the sailing?  I’ll join it as soon as I am booked. Till we meet again! 😁

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

9/10 leaves from Copenhagen. Yes, it’s a terrific itinerary I especially like the overnight in Stockholm.  Are you on the CruiseCritic roll call for the sailing?  I’ll join it as soon as I am booked. Till we meet again! 😁

Yes, we chose Germany because we wanted to spend a day in CPH. Hotels are insanely expensive there, so visiting on a cruise appeals to us. 

I see you started a roll call for CPH. I think the problem is, with these sailings, people board different dates so makes a roll call a little difficult. 

Regardless, will def see you if you book 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, YoPhilly said:

Alyssamma, please post your impressions next month. 😀

Boarded about an hour ago...like what I've seen so far. Very MSC like in terms of design. Staff is amazing. Will post more later...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Boarded about an hour ago...like what I've seen so far. Very MSC like in terms of design. Staff is amazing. Will post more later...

thanks very much...looking forward to your impressions.

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

thanks very much...looking forward to your impressions.

Np... do you have any specific questions?

So far it seems like @Nunagoras summed it up perfectly. This is definitely the least "elegant" MSC ship I've been on, but it's very nice for sure.

I have this ship booked for Sept 2024 and I'm fine keeping the booking. Nothing that makes me worry I picked the wrong ship 😀

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

Could you post some menus from the dining room?

I will try to post one, but I will say the dining room is the only disappointment so far. Well, actually 2...see below. Food in the buffet has been good ..not amazing, but solid. Breakfast has been above average...and dangerously good 😀

But the MDR so far has not. The food was average at best, but the wait staff were terrible. It really stood out because the staff on the rest of the ship might be the best I've ever cruised with.

That being said, I did experience something that just made me say I'm done with MSC. I had some OBC in USD and they used an insane exchange rate to convert it.to EUR  Although they were nice at guest services, they did nothing to help. And while this is a very small thing  I feel that MSC is full of very small things like this and there are enough other cruise lines to get my money so not going to deal with them anymore. I canceled my Sept 24 Baltics cruise, but did keep my Jan Seascape because it's YC and I'll lose the deposit if I cancel. That will be the last time I sail with MSC.

But this is really my own personal choice and shouldn't stop you or anyone else from sailing with them and, specifically on the Poesia 

One other note. We have a balcony and the cabin is pretty small. The shower is like a coffin. But, there is good storage space so that is a plus.

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I canceled my Sept 24 Baltics cruise, but did keep my Jan Seascape because it's YC and I'll lose the deposit if I cancel. That will be the last time I sail with MSC.

I'm sorry you canceled your Baltic cruise...we would have met.  In fact, the reason I'm taking a chance on MSC is just because of the Baltic cruise.  I figure we'll be off the ship everyday to sightsee - only onboard for breakfast and dinner every day except one sea day.  I only need a safe sailing, a clean cabin and decent food.  I figured - how bad can it be?! 

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Here is a menu...

As an Italian-American, I've been told by a good friend that I'm a food snob!  🤣. The menu does look a bit sparse, but my mouth is watering, so I can live with it.  A great itinerary at a great price is certainly worth a try!  If you care to post more menus, I'd be so appreciative.

Happy cruising!

13 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

As an Italian-American, I've been told by a good friend that I'm a food snob!  🤣. The menu does look a bit sparse, but my mouth is watering, so I can live with it.  A great itinerary at a great price is certainly worth a try!  If you care to post more menus, I'd be so appreciative.

Happy cruising!

Lol, well...the food here is very average overall. You won't go hungry but you won't be excited about eating either 😀 that's actually a plus for me as I don't want to gain 20lbs on this trip.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

Happy cruising!

I will try to post more menus...